Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Thoughts  (Read 13035 times)

tower912

• All American
Thoughts
« on: December 22, 2012, 03:19:35 PM »
15 minutes of good, 15 minutes of bad, 10 minutes of trading baskets.   

The ball movement the first 15 minutes was nearly perfect.    For the next 15 minutes, there was a lot of standing around, one-on-one basketball and dumb passes.   Hard to believe it was the same team.       And after going <50% against UWGB from the line, we shot 96%.      Lockett and Blue missing layups down the stretch....Blue falling in love with the long pass....JWilson making some of the dumbest passes I can remember..... still unable to guard the 3 while simultaneously unable to shoot it..... Mayo's athleticism and aggressiveness were missed....
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 03:25:23 PM »
Lockett seems to be a liability. Gardner is unbelieveable. Why doesn't he start?

Death on call

Goose

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 03:34:30 PM »
Too many stretches were they look lazy. Not a good enough team to be aggressive for 40 minutes. Am disappointed in the overall effort. Hopefully Buzz can get these guys to push harder for entire game.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 04:14:27 PM »
Lockett seems to be a liability. Gardner is unbelieveable. Why doesn't he start?

Lockett is not what I expected, but I wouldn't call him a liability.  I mean, who else are you going to give his minutes to?

Jamil is the one that is driving me nuts with his play right now.  He ended up with a decent statline, but I just wish he played tougher.

I will also say, that I am not sure if it is scheme or execution, but our half court offense against the zone is TERRIBLE.  No motion...no ball movement.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 04:16:54 PM »
15 minutes of good, 15 minutes of bad, 10 minutes of trading baskets.   

The ball movement the first 15 minutes was nearly perfect.    For the next 15 minutes, there was a lot of standing around, one-on-one basketball and dumb passes. 

Corresponds almost exactly when LSU switched from man to zone.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 04:23:32 PM »

Actually they started out in a zone that was very ineffective and we jumped out to a 21-6 lead (or something like that).  They then switched back to man and later a more aggressive zone.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 04:26:09 PM »

Actually LSU kept playing zone.  The difference came when the 7'3" guy Pietro came out ( and, he played sparingly in the second half ).  LSUs zone was much more effective without him, though MU did a horrible job of attacking the zone after that ala the GB game.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 04:28:19 PM »
For the first 15 minutes, MU's zone offense was textbook.   Moving the ball quickly, attacking the seams, beating it down the floor.    Then they coasted.  It was like a switch got flipped.  Infuriating.  But LSU only really played man in the last 2 minutes. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 04:37:24 PM »
OK...my bad.  I thought they came out in man.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2012, 04:41:25 PM »

Jamil is the one that is driving me nuts with his play right now.  He ended up with a decent statline, but I just wish he played tougher.

He looks like he took Dramamine before the game.  He is passive coming up the floor, passive with the ball in his hands, and he looked lazy at times on the defensive end.  I screamed at him to just run at least twice.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2012, 04:43:32 PM »
JWilson, on consecutive possessions in the second half, he made stupid, lazy passes and then loafed back on defense.   

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2012, 04:47:16 PM »
If Buzz wants to win the tip, I understand why he would start CO.  I cannot for the life of me understand why Buzz does not start DG in the second half though.  I would maximize DG's minutes.  He's so much more effective on offense than CO and no longer a liability on defense.
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2012, 04:55:24 PM »
If Buzz wants to win the tip, I understand why he would start CO.  I cannot for the life of me understand why Buzz does not start DG in the second half though.  I would maximize DG's minutes.  He's so much more effective on offense than CO and no longer a liability on defense.

He knows he is going to want DG in at the end of the game.  You need him to have fresh legs.  He only has about 20 minutes in him a game.  4 of those have to be at the end, so instead of starting him you use CO.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2012, 04:56:06 PM »

Lockett is not what I expected, but I wouldn't call him a liability.  I mean, who else are you going to give his minutes to?

I will also say, that I am not sure if it is scheme or execution, but our half court offense against the zone is TERRIBLE.  No motion...no ball movement.

I thought Lockett would be like Wes Matthews. Turns out he's more like Joe Chapman.

That's not entirely a negative, but he doesn't have the first step that Wes had.

If he can take and make a few more 3's, it might open up his game a little bit.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2012, 05:01:49 PM »
Too many lazy type passes, especially by J. Wilson. Could not believe those, and Junior just dribbling it out of bounds.

Thomas missed three wide open threes, Mayo missed two wide open.  (that Stringer kid didn't miss much)

Lockett was just brutal in last 10 minutes.

Otule played very good today, one of his best performances in limited time.  Great defense on O'Bryant and made his two free throws, in which Buzz went nuts.

Last, when MU went up by like 19 or so, on a Derrick Wilson three, he took Wilson out after that and put in Junior.  I don't know why because Wilson was playing good and team had momentum.  It went downhill immediately after that sub.

A win is a win, but need to bury these opponents when that far up. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2012, 05:03:08 PM »
nyg...good point about Otule.  Grabbed a lot of rebounds too.  He played a pretty good game today.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2012, 05:15:53 PM »
Anderson also needs to provide just a few points here and there.  I mean Buzz starts him and he plays about 15 minutes a game.

In his last five games, he has 3 points and 10 fouls. 

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2012, 05:21:46 PM »
I thought this game was key to whether we finished the season with a winning or losing record. I am very Happy with the win. although mayo did not do a lot, I can see where he changes the dynamic of this team.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2012, 05:47:55 PM »
I think J.Wilson was chewed out. BIG BABY! We don't want him if he acts like this
Was just plain lazy and didn't feel like playing. PICK UP YOUR BALL AND GO HOME! SULKER!!!!

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2012, 06:25:53 PM »
It's a different team this year.  They don't run much on other teams like the past MU teams.  Junior is starting to play more like Butch Lee and that's a good thing.  Vander and Jamil play great and then disappear.  Gardner is fun to watch.  Otule just isn't the player he was before the injury last year.  Steve Taylor should get more playing time.  Overall, I think MU should play more aggressive on offense and defense.  They are deep enough to shuffle in fresh players like a hockey game.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2012, 06:45:13 PM »
Anderson also needs to provide just a few points here and there.  I mean Buzz starts him and he plays about 15 minutes a game.

In his last five games, he has 3 points and 10 fouls. 

I really hope I'm wrong here... but is Juan Anderson a skinnier Erik Williams? Granted, I have never seen either of them in practice, but in game situations they both seem to be high energy defensive/rebounding types with not much affinity for shooting or driving.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2012, 07:05:53 PM »
Funeral to attend earlier today, didn't finish the game until a few minutes ago.  I'm amazed at our defensive liabilities and how they come in droves.

Blowing the 21 point lead took some time, but we certainly did it.  Then we're up 9 (I think 50 to 41 or something like that) in the second half and it seemed 90 seconds later it was a 1 point game.  Then back up to nine (58 to 49), only to be tied like 90 seconds later.  I could be way off on my timing as I was using the DVR a bit, but it seemed to happen really fast.  Sloppy passing, bad defense, etc.  Then up 8 again, then tied.  Crazy.  Jekyll and Hyde sometimes.

The homerun ball at the end, was not happy about.  That was lucky.  We're up 4, and we almost gave them a free possession on that one to cut it to two or one as a result.

But, a win and a badly needed one.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2012, 07:08:54 PM »
Don't think I've ever seen Cadougan compared to Butch Lee....and don't quite see how Cadougan plays anywhere near the style Lee played.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2012, 07:23:15 PM »
Don't think I've ever seen Cadougan compared to Butch Lee....and don't quite see how Cadougan plays anywhere near the style Lee played.
You beat me to this one.  If I had many choice I think I'd take Butch.

muwarrior97

• All American
  • CALVACADE OF BRICKS
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2012, 07:43:32 PM »
W is a W...AND no "why don't they practice free throws" post today is two good things for pre-christmas feast
#RGV #ReturnTheWarriorMindset

feedback