Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Thoughts  (Read 13034 times)

buckchuckler

• All American
Re: Thoughts
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2012, 08:34:10 PM »
Lockett seems to be a liability. Gardner is unbelieveable. Why doesn't he start?

Starting or not, he needs 10-15 shot attempts per game.  Dude can just score. 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2012, 10:28:45 PM »
Great start with transition points before the game slowed and LSU settled into their zone.  Same issues with the turnovers in the zone, many unforced, and bad transition defense after...including off long rebounds coming on late/forced threes by MU.

Vander and Junior hit some clutch threes to show some moxie...but Otule as a space eater and Gardner to wear down LSU's bigs were the key.  Great clutch free throw shooting.  Great time out play by Buzz to go to Gardner with O'Brien with four fouls. DG was outstanding...I think he had a few more steals than his five.

Game management was horrendous in last four minutes. Buzz said as much after.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2012, 07:21:07 AM »
Don't think I've ever seen Cadougan compared to Butch Lee....and don't quite see how Cadougan plays anywhere near the style Lee played.

Truer words were never typed on this board. Jr. can't carry Butch's jockstrap. Like comparing a guard at the Y in the Saturday morning league to Jordan.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2012, 07:32:23 AM »
Lockett seems to be a liability. Gardner is unbelieveable. Why doesn't he start?

So far this season, Chris Otule is 10-1 when it comes to winning the tipoff.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2012, 08:41:45 AM »
Lockett is the best we have at creating his own shot. Gardner is great when you get him the ball and is so-so on D.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2012, 08:55:25 AM »
So far this season, Chris Otule is 10-1 when it comes to winning the tipoff.
I was also following that. The only one he lost was against Green Bay where he did not even try to jump. That is a bad omen, when we do not even try to win the tip off.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2012, 08:58:49 AM »
I really hope I'm wrong here... but is Juan Anderson a skinnier Erik Williams? Granted, I have never seen either of them in practice, but in game situations they both seem to be high energy defensive/rebounding types with not much affinity for shooting or driving.
This is almost as wrong as saying Cadougan is playing like Butch. Anderson is much better on defense than Eric Williiams. Williams was stronger, but I think overall Anderson is the better offensive player.

JTBMU7

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2012, 10:00:15 AM »
Lockett is the best we have at creating his own shot. Gardner is great when you get him the ball and is so-so on D.
I'm not sure I've seen Lockett create anything other than a charge or turnover this season. His makes lately have been on wide open jumpers. Vander and junior can create, so can jamil. None of them seem to try consistently to do so however.
All in all, if you had just told me we beat LSU, scored a ton of points, and have 4-5 guys score in double figures I'd be happy. The let down was obviously bad, but remember we won about 8 games last year after starting the the first 4 min down 12-15 pts, so that sort of thing happens. It shouldn't, but it does.
The main take aways should be lots of points, mayo getting back, and getting the win.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2012, 04:15:29 PM »
I thought Lockett would be like Wes Matthews. Turns out he's more like Joe Chapman.

Why the hate for Joe Chapman? He was a warrior. A true warrior. Who can forget his puking into the trash can then going back in? When Lockett gives us that degree of intensity then and only then can he be compared to the lions of MU. Only then.

Death on call

Tony Two Times

• Walk-On
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2012, 04:28:33 PM »
I'm not sure I've seen Lockett create anything other than a charge or turnover this season.

+1

+1

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2012, 09:27:05 PM »
Why the hate for Joe Chapman? He was a warrior. A true warrior. Who can forget his puking into the trash can then going back in? When Lockett gives us that degree of intensity then and only then can he be compared to the lions of MU. Only then.

I'm not hating on Chapman at all, but he wasn't as effective as Wes.

Lockett works hard, teammates like him, he seems to provide leadership. But, he's not as effective as Wes.

He's more like Chapman. Nice player, about 1/2 step slow. Can be effective in spurts.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2012, 09:41:46 PM »
I'm not hating on Chapman at all, but he wasn't as effective as Wes.

Lockett works hard, teammates like him, he seems to provide leadership. But, he's not as effective as Wes.

He's more like Chapman. Nice player, about 1/2 step slow. Can be effective in spurts.

Yep.  And players like that are important...bound to disappoint fans...but important nevertheless.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2012, 11:01:14 PM »
Otule did a really nice job playing man defense on LSU's O'Bryant; made him work very hard for everything and made it so MU didn't need to double-team him. I'm a huge fan of Gardner's offense, but he really isn't in Otule's league defensively, especially against a long, quick post player. There are plenty of minutes for both of them, and Buzz has a pretty darn good sense of when to use each.

If Thomas can't hit that 3, he can't be in the game. It's pretty simple.

Mayo looked incredibly rusty but gotta give him the benefit of the doubt for a week or three. He needs to get most, if not all, of Jake's minutes and a good chunk of Lockett's minutes, too.

Lockett had a nice start and then disappeared. He is frustrating to watch, but not as frustrating as Jamil. All that talent. I was at the game -- probably my only appearance this year, as I live 1,000 miles away -- and he actually was getting booed after his lazy passes. But he did hit that 4-point play. Wow.

Don't like TOs by Vander and especially Junior, but at least they are willing to step up and try to win games. Junior came through pretty huge down the stretch, which makes in twice in recent wins (other being Wiscy, of course).

Juan is giving about what I expected this season. Maybe a little more. I like his intensity. I'd take another bucket or two a game, but he's valuable either way in limited minutes. Steve Taylor is not a finished product. There are minutes for both of them, too.

Very frustrating to watch us shut down offensively for 10-15 minute stretches this season. Can't win Big East games against good teams (or maybe even bad teams) doing that. Can't give up so many wide-open threes in today's college basketball, especially when we aren't making many ourselves.

Glad we won (and more than a little relieved). Any win is a good one, and LSU is not a bad team at all.

My 2 1/2 cents (with inflation).
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 08:08:52 AM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Tony Two Times

• Walk-On
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2012, 12:24:59 AM »
Don't think I've ever seen Cadougan compared to Butch Lee....and don't quite see how Cadougan plays anywhere near the style Lee played.

Lee was a 2 to Boylan's 1. Lee was the principal threat. Different guys, different skills, different eras. Different eras. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2012, 04:09:14 PM »
I'm not sure I've seen Lockett create anything other than a charge or turnover this season.

Time for a new prescription, then. Lockett is very good at driving to the hoop and making the up-and-under scoop shots. He can definitely create his own shot. He doesn't have ideal quickness, but he does have a few go-to moves that can work pretty well for him.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback