Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Recruiting as of 6/15/24 by Plaque Lives Matter!
[June 16, 2024, 07:21:10 PM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by MU82
[June 16, 2024, 06:39:26 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Herman Cain
[June 16, 2024, 06:05:09 PM]

NBA green room by Skatastrophy
[June 16, 2024, 03:09:36 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 16, 2024, 02:42:15 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by We R Final Four
[June 16, 2024, 11:50:43 AM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[June 15, 2024, 09:14:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Texas  (Read 17427 times)

warrior_rugby15

• Scholarship Player
Texas
« on: December 09, 2012, 12:55:32 PM »
With Texas now 5-4 and with difficult games coming up against Michigan State and North Carolina, could this be Rick Barnes last year? Or too early to speculate?

I ask because we all know that if that position becomes available, a certain you-know-who will probably be one of the top names of replacements. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Texas
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 01:11:38 PM »
I'm done worrying about it. Buzz has given enough reason in recent years for me to believe he'll stay after not leaving for the likes of A&M, Oklahoma, and the SMU money. If he eventually goes, he goes, and we find a new guy. Right now I love this year's team and its promise and am going to enjoy watching them grow in the next 4 months.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

JoBo2756

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 01:26:47 PM »
Things have been crazy lately with conference re-alignment, so haven't gone through the whole "what will Buzz do next year," but as our conference disintegrates and if the Texas position opens, how could he not consider it?

If so, we should be thankful for the awesome run, focus on finding the next guy to lead us forward.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 01:45:54 PM »
And be thankful we have a young, up and coming assistant on staff.....

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 01:52:17 PM »
Honestly, while I love Buzz and think he is a great coach.

I'm not certain Texas taps him if they do get rid of Barnes.  They very well might, but they are a top tier team that could also go after more established names.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 02:34:12 PM »
Texas has a very young team, so you should expect them to struggle. I do not see them firing Barnes yet.

speri

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 03:34:58 PM »
Also, Texas' best player has yet to hit the floor. I don't think Barnes is going anywhere quite yet.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 04:24:08 PM »
Also, Texas' best player has yet to hit the floor. I don't think Barnes is going anywhere quite yet.

+1

Barnes has earned a little more rope than to get canned after this year.

GoldenZebra

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 04:28:53 PM »
A bad year doesnt mean Barnes is gone...look how many years Crean got before he made what he promised a reality. ouch, that hurt my soul to type that.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 04:48:03 PM »
+1

Barnes has earned a little more rope than to get canned after this year.
Yep.  Texas has all frosh and sophs with no juniors and the 2 seniors are lucky to see the court.  Barnes has time.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2012, 07:45:46 PM »
Honestly, while I love Buzz and think he is a great coach.

I'm not certain Texas taps him if they do get rid of Barnes.  They very well might, but they are a top tier team that could also go after more established names.

I do not believe there would be many more well-established names than Buzz Williams -- who has won a ton of games at a good Big East school while exceeding the accomplishments of pretty much every predecessor not named Al.

Unless a Coach K or a Roy or a Cal suddenly decides he'd rather be at Texas -- not too likely, huh? -- who would be a "more established name" than Buzz, who also happens to be from the state and has recruited there?

Jim Calhoun is the only guy I can even think of, and one would think a school like Texas would prefer a coach younger than Methuselah.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wojosdojo

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2012, 07:48:47 PM »
Shaka.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2012, 07:54:53 PM »
Shaka.

Shaka is an "established name" and Buzz isn't? Wow.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2012, 07:59:30 PM »
I think he meant Shaka to replace Buzz.  No?

And it MU loses 12 games this year, you think Texas jumps at Buzz?

Hiring an established coach is about having an emotional reaction to someone that did well their last five games.  See John Groce oh sweet Sixteen Ohio and now Ill.  Most of the time it doesn't work out as they bought at the high.  Something it does, again see John Groce again (maybe?)

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2012, 09:21:35 PM »
Would Josh Pastner be an option for Texas? Buzz has a slightly better resume right now, but Pastner might have better connections in Texas than even Buzz, and is arguably a better recruiter.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2012, 11:04:19 PM »
A bad year doesnt mean Barnes is gone...look how many years Crean got before he made what he promised a reality. ouch, that hurt my soul to type that.

That's a really poor comparison on many levels.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2012, 12:05:19 AM »
I do not believe there would be many more well-established names than Buzz Williams -- who has won a ton of games at a good Big East school while exceeding the accomplishments of pretty much every predecessor not named Al.

Unless a Coach K or a Roy or a Cal suddenly decides he'd rather be at Texas -- not too likely, huh? -- who would be a "more established name" than Buzz, who also happens to be from the state and has recruited there?

Jim Calhoun is the only guy I can even think of, and one would think a school like Texas would prefer a coach younger than Methuselah.

You're likely correct.  My initial instinct was there had to be others out there, but when I try to come up with some I come up empty handed.

I do agree with others though that Barnes will be given some more leash.  If he doesn't perform next year though, I think that could do him in.

Marqus Howard

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2012, 12:14:26 AM »
That's a really poor comparison on many levels.

Agreed. The situation was completely different at Indiana. Crean didn't really have any expectations coming in.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2012, 12:15:21 PM »
I don't see why you'd take the Texas job if you were Buzz.

1) Successfully recruiting Texas is a trait that, outside of Texas, schools will pay for. Anyone coaching the Longhorns gets their pick of top in-state talent. Buzz's Texas recruiting prowess is a differentiator in the Big East, but won't be at UT.
2) Way less control than he has now over his program.... football is king especially in Texas.
3) He'd take a pay cut
4) His assistants would take a pay cut
5) His program would take a cut in investment compared to MU http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2012/03/13/many-top-ncaa-tournament-teams-spent.html

I can see that if you grow up cheering for UT there might be a personal goal to coach there. If so, God Bless Buzz I hope he gets the job; he'd be giving up a ton for it.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2012, 12:31:47 PM »

1) Successfully recruiting Texas is a trait that, outside of Texas, schools will pay for. Anyone coaching the Longhorns gets their pick of top in-state talent. Buzz's Texas recruiting prowess is a differentiator in the Big East, but won't be at UT.
2) Way less control than he has now over his program.... football is king especially in Texas.
3) He'd take a pay cut
5) His program would take a cut in investment compared to MU http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2012/03/13/many-top-ncaa-tournament-teams-spent.html

I can see that if you grow up cheering for UT there might be a personal goal to coach there. If so, God Bless Buzz I hope he gets the job; he'd be giving up a ton for it.

The only thing holding back Texas is Rick Barnes. Simply, Texas has a much higher ceiling than MU.

With the right coach, Texas could be a basketball power at a football school, similar to Florida.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2012, 12:43:12 PM »

3) He'd take a pay cut

I hope that you are right, but this really seems like wishful thinking to me.  If Texas replaces Barnes, it seems to me that they will be in a very favorable position to provide any coach that they choose to pursue with what ever program enhancements that coach would want, and would be inclined to do so.  Both the financial ability to upgrade and the inclination to do so should be supplied by the Longhorn Network.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

wojosdojo

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2012, 01:26:55 PM »
Shaka is an "established name" and Buzz isn't? Wow.

No. Im saying I think Texas would look at Shaka and he would leave for Texas. Texas would obviously look at Buzz as well.

Clarence

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2012, 01:40:25 PM »
Let's just get this over now. Fire Buzz and let the Jerry Wainwright era begin!!!!

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2012, 01:52:59 PM »
Maybe it's just me, but I'm not at all sold on Shaka at the high major level. It seems a lot of his success comes from scrappiness and disruption. He thrives with those underrated energy types (much like Buzz, but without a pro-style offense). I haven't seen near enough to believe he can recruit at a BCS level, which requires the ability to get guys into te league, at least if you're talking about a Texas type job. He might be young and exciting, but 4 wins in March, even as impressive as that run was, doesn't automatically mean you'll have success at a true high-major.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2012, 01:59:34 PM »
Maybe it's just me, but I'm not at all sold on Shaka at the high major level. It seems a lot of his success comes from scrappiness and disruption. He thrives with those underrated energy types (much like Buzz, but without a pro-style offense). I haven't seen near enough to believe he can recruit at a BCS level, which requires the ability to get guys into te league, at least if you're talking about a Texas type job. He might be young and exciting, but 4 wins in March, even as impressive as that run was, doesn't automatically mean you'll have success at a true high-major.
Young and exciting often does well in recruiting. I think he would do very well recruiting wise at a school like Texas.

feedback