Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Free throws  (Read 3751 times)

tower912

• All American
Free throws
« on: December 08, 2012, 08:41:57 PM »
Good thing we won or the story would have been free throws.    That mad mojo was contagious.    It bit becky, too.     When the big sheesh is throwing up big bricks.......
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mileskishnish72

• All American
Re: Free throws
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 09:04:59 PM »
Not to bring up on old topic, but obviously, they need to practice free throws.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 09:32:28 PM »
Not to bring up on old topic, but obviously, they need to practice free throws.
Well just to bring on the old topic....remember Buzz does not believe in practicing free throws :P
Goal is National Championship

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 09:33:06 PM »
Wis was practicing free throws during Warmups  see how that helped them.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 09:48:39 PM »
Maybe MU should practice FTs on National TV.

muwarrior97

• All American
  • CALVACADE OF BRICKS
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 10:49:25 PM »
Jr made his....I guess his "haters" got today off, awful quiet night in their mom's basement
#RGV #ReturnTheWarriorMindset

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 11:15:17 PM »
Good thing we won or the story would have been free throws.    That mad mojo was contagious.    It bit becky, too.     When the big sheesh is throwing up big bricks.......

That's the problem when you add muscle, you lose your muscle memory.

I'd rather have a tougher Gardner who shoots 65% from the line than an out-of-shape kid who can shoot 90%.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 04:18:03 AM »
Best part about all of this is the play by play guy actually said that Wisco would be leading if Evans made his free throws at one point. Sure, the guy missed alot and then some but really? We were 1-9 in the 1st half while up 14. It really shouldnt have been a game.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 06:07:30 AM »
This made me laugh on the Badger postgame that came over 540 when Homer was done. They said "If Wisconsin hits their free throws, they probably win the game". Uhh, that goes both ways. Marquette is a better free throw shooting team than Wisconsin. If you don't believe me, look it up. Marquette also gets to the line more frequently. So we get there less and make them at a worse comparable clip than our usual they're the ones complaining about it?

Anything to justify why your team should've won, I guess...I'd probably have more issues had it ended differently.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 07:24:40 AM »
This made me laugh on the Badger postgame that came over 540 when Homer was done. They said "If Wisconsin hits their free throws, they probably win the game". Uhh, that goes both ways. Marquette is a better free throw shooting team than Wisconsin. If you don't believe me, look it up. Marquette also gets to the line more frequently. So we get there less and make them at a worse comparable clip than our usual they're the ones complaining about it?

Anything to justify why your team should've won, I guess...I'd probably have more issues had it ended differently.

Agreed brew, and here is another reason that statement is studio.  I did the box on cracked sidewalks of the "5 factors", which are the four factors plus the impact free throw shooting ha on the game. People act like any missed free throw is unexpected and if a team goes 17 of 20 from the line they "gave up" 3 points at the line when in fact they scored 3 more than average.

If Wisconsin had hit the average percentage at the line they hit 7 more and still lose 60-57 IF you ignore the fact that Wisconsin scored off of offensive rebounds on missed free throws a couple of times so they actually would lose a few points if they made those free throws.

We gave up 5 points a the line and that will lose a lot of close games, but to say Wisconsin would have won if they had hit free throws is mathematically wrong unless you are saying that I there 37 percent free throw shooter suddenly hit 100% of his free throws then they would have won.

I was cheering every time we fouled him - it was like fouling Shaq or Dwight Howard.
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2012, 07:29:29 AM »
Rivalry game played at a high pace with huge emotions.  It mentally affected both teams.  Not a physical issue in the least.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2012, 08:04:45 AM »
Rivalry game played at a high pace with huge emotions.  It mentally affected both teams.  Not a physical issue in the least.

Which is why Buzz never practices free-throws.  They are about mental toughness, not physical.  And no gimmicks in practice can replicate the pressure and emotion of an important game.

This is why Buzz is right about FTs.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2012, 09:35:05 AM »
Both teams combines 16-40, pitiful.  Mu should have been up by 20 in the first half, missed at least 7 in a row if not more.  Wisky might be fine at home this year, but they
will have a real hard time winning a game on the road.  MU will have a tough time as well.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2012, 09:42:00 AM »
MU hit 6-8 in the second half.   If they had shot that percentage in the first half, they would have been up 20. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2012, 09:42:48 AM »
I'm not getting into the what-if game because, as other posters have said, both teams left plenty of points off the board, there were put-back baskets on missed FTs, etc. However ...

A game involving two major-college teams -- let alone two teams that repeatedly go to the NCAA tournament -- combining to go 16 for 40 from the foul line? The average middle-school girls team is better than that. Truly embarrassing for these players and their coaches.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2012, 09:45:28 AM »
It's been said before, but it should be noted again that players have plenty of time to practice free throws, and likely are encouraged to do so. It's just that Buzz doesn't incorporate it into the structured portion of his practices.
It's not as if the only time these guys ever step to a free throw line is during the games.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2012, 09:50:06 AM »
I'm not getting into the what-if game because, as other posters have said, both teams left plenty of points off the board, there were put-back baskets on missed FTs, etc. However ...

A game involving two major-college teams -- let alone two teams that repeatedly go to the NCAA tournament -- combining to go 16 for 40 from the foul line? The average middle-school girls team is better than that. Truly embarrassing for these players and their coaches.

It might be embarrassing for the players, but how can it be embarrassing for the coaches?  Do you really think they have under-estimated free throw shooting?  Not only are they "likely" encouraged to shoot free throws outside of practice, my guess is that it is pretty much one of those mandatory-but-not-mandatory things that every college basketball player does to be part of the team.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2012, 09:55:03 AM »

It might be embarrassing for the players, but how can it be embarrassing for the coaches?  Do you really think they have under-estimated free throw shooting?  Not only are they "likely" encouraged to shoot free throws outside of practice, my guess is that it is pretty much one of those mandatory-but-not-mandatory things that every college basketball player does to be part of the team.

I didn't really mean to imply that the coaches did anything "wrong," per se. All I'm saying is the coach is the ultimate buck-stops-here person. As a guy who has coached at the high school and junior-high level, I will tell you that I accepted responsibility for everything. I like to think that Buzz and Bo do the same. Even if I felt I did everything possible to prepare my team, I would have been pretty embarrassed by a 30 percent showing from the foul line.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2012, 10:01:36 AM »
As one who coached at the junior high level, I had my teams practice FT's, made it into a contest,  had most of my kids hitting > 60% in practice and games, and watched my team go 2-18 in a crucial game.    FT bricks are contagious sometimes. 

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2012, 02:42:44 PM »
Well just to bring on the old topic....remember Buzz does not believe in practicing free throws :P
He does not believe in using practice time to practice free throws. The players are supposed to do that on their own. A coach only has so much time to be with players. It would be foolish to waste it on free throws.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2012, 03:40:42 PM »
He does not believe in using practice time to practice free throws. The players are supposed to do that on their own. A coach only has so much time to be with players. It would be foolish to waste it on free throws.
Was not being critical of Buzz just replying to miles post
Goal is National Championship

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2012, 03:46:20 PM »
FT defense last night was outstanding.... :P

MikeyT42

• Starter

MarquetteDano

• All American