Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: A true basketball-only league  (Read 13785 times)

MUBasketball

• All American
Re: A true basketball-only league
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2012, 07:14:31 PM »
Or how about Marquette, who made the Final Four as a mid-major less than a decade ago.

Marquette was NOT a mid-major in '03, nor were they ever referred to as one.

Conference USA was a very underrated conference in the late '90's/early '00's. The bottom stunk, that was the problem.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2012, 07:30:23 PM »
As others have touched on, this is my biggest fear about the proposed "basketball" only league. It's a terrible idea. Ticket sales will drop. It will be a mid major league. especially if people are talking about(as i always see) wanting to bring in SLU & Dayton. Right or wrong, we as ticket holders are used to seeing Pitt, Cuse, Uconn etc. Having us watch SLU, Dayton, Butler etc, does NOTHING for me, and it will do NOTHING for recruiting. You are damn right that MU's BB program is teetering on the brink right now...This will cause a major ripple effect on the quality of MU BB. Anyone that thinks otherwise is a fool.
/quote]

You mean mid-majors like Butler who just beat MU and North Carolina and has gone to 2 recent Final 4's,  Saint Louis who manhandled Texas A&M last week and played Kansas tough without the injured Kwamaine Mitchell and Dayton who beat BCS schools Boston College and Auburn recently. All have been in the NCAA in the past 4 years.  Xavier is a no-brainer and maybe Temple is added if they can't find a match in football in another conference and they and Villanova can agree to play in a conference together.

Some of you guys have no clue about NCAA basketball history.

I'm well aware of BB history. Butler is ok, but what the hell is everyone's infatuation with SLU and Dayton?? Wow! Dayton beat BC and Auburn?? two of the worst BCS BB schools in the country. 10 of us from this board could give those teams games. Xavier I agree with as well as Temple. But SLU and Dayton?? Yuck! IF this BB only league HAS to happen, then this is who i would pick, and a few fb schools as well that have no other place to go.

MU
Georgetown
Xavier
Memphis(football)
Butler
Villanova
SJU
Temple(Football)
Gonzaga
Providence(but they do NOTHING for me)
UMASS(I'll hold my nose and take them)
VCU
Seton Hall(Yuck)
Creighton
Wichita State

I'm not taking DePaul, they can go play in a league more befitting them, like the Southern league or something. I'd take these 15 to start and then MAYBE add someone else later that shows themselves worthy.

“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2012, 07:52:22 PM »

OK...then why would they be if they are in a basketball only conference with the likes of Villanova and Georgetown?

GO MU!!

• Walk-On
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2012, 07:59:39 PM »
I read this entire blog and can not believe how little was mentioned about recruiting. Our recruiting has been great under Buzz because he is good, but I think it helps one heck of a lot when we are on TV for every game. I moved from Wisconsin to Texas before last season and have only had to miss one game each season that was not televised. Being part of the Big East Network and having Directv is great. I even get the games that are on local in Milwaukee.

I think without that type of television coverage, you lose recruits that want their family to see them play.

One of the better blogs for a while, almost everyone staying on subject ;-)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2012, 08:08:51 PM »
As others have touched on, this is my biggest fear about the proposed "basketball" only league. It's a terrible idea. Ticket sales will drop. It will be a mid major league. especially if people are talking about(as i always see) wanting to bring in SLU & Dayton. Right or wrong, we as ticket holders are used to seeing Pitt, Cuse, Uconn etc. Having us watch SLU, Dayton, Butler etc, does NOTHING for me, and it will do NOTHING for recruiting. You are damn right that MU's BB program is teetering on the brink right now...This will cause a major ripple effect on the quality of MU BB. Anyone that thinks otherwise is a fool.
And the mighty Butler just switched conferences to earn an upgrade of $500K a.year! Hell, MU earns at least that every time a BE football teams leaves.  Windfall.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2012, 08:14:30 PM »
Whatever we do it is important that a great tv deal is part of it. I agree with earlier post on recruiting and the need for families to watch games. Obviously things are moving quickly and hope we land on our feet. Good news is that we had to know these changes were possible for quite some time and our plan better in be place.

MUBasketball

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2012, 08:20:52 PM »

OK...then why would they be if they are in a basketball only conference with the likes of Villanova and Georgetown?

They won't be.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2012, 08:22:29 PM »
Im on crack, but i am still holding out hope for. The big ten to take on a pair of non football schools to bolster its hoops. Marquette would be a perfect fit. Id rather have that than anything else, but it only matters what the big ten wants.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2012, 08:26:47 PM »
Niv

Hope you are right. We might need a miracle the way things are shaping up. We have to reach for the stars and not settle. If we go backwards a very tough road ahead of us. We'll see if the brass can pull something off that keeps in top conference.

MUBasketball

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2012, 08:29:48 PM »
Im on crack, but i am still holding out hope for. The big ten to take on a pair of non football schools to bolster its hoops. Marquette would be a perfect fit. Id rather have that than anything else, but it only matters what the big ten wants.

Why would they? The Big Ten has shown they are the class of all the conferences. Rumors are they have reached out to UNC and Virginia and may add them to the league.

They can get any school they want...why would they add non-football schools? No point.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2012, 10:59:03 PM »
A league with Georgetown (Washington, DC), St. John's (New York), Villanova (Philadelphia), Providence (Providence), Seton Hall (NJ/NY), Marquette (Milwaukee), DePaul (Chicago), Xavier (Cincinnati), Butler (Indianapolis),  and Creighton (Omaha) will get a good TV contract - much better than the one the A-10 got. If you want to go past 10 teams, Detroit (Detroit), St. Louis (St. Louis), Dayton (Dayton/Cincinnati) and VCU (Richmond/DC) could work too.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2012, 11:31:50 AM »

Why would any football conference want a basketball only school? I don't see that happening in any conference. If the bball schools are smart, they will take the lead and form a hoops only "super conference".
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 01:43:49 PM by 79Warrior »

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2012, 11:49:06 AM »
"A league with Georgetown (Washington, DC), St. John's (New York), Villanova (Philadelphia), Providence (Providence), Seton Hall (NJ/NY), Marquette (Milwaukee), DePaul (Chicago), Xavier (Cincinnati), Butler (Indianapolis),  and Creighton (Omaha) will get a good TV contract - much better than the one the A-10 got. If you want to go past 10 teams, Detroit (Detroit), St. Louis (St. Louis), Dayton (Dayton/Cincinnati) and VCU (Richmond/DC) could work too."

Agree for the most part. My only concern is that chips will continue to fall for quite some time unless the NCAA puts its foot down. I think that we would continue to have defections from that league into the ACC, Big 12, Big 10, etc until all of the major hoops schools are happy. Georgetown, MU, Villanova and St. Johns would be the first to go. The only way I'd be happy with the true "Basketball Only League" scenario is if the NCAA put a stop to realignment for at least 10 years. I would also try to go after a few more teams: Gonzaga, VCU, Witchita State, Butler, St. Mary's, etc. Basically snatch up all the top mid majors that would like to play in a league every bit as deep in hoops as the ACC, Big 10, Big 12, Pac 12 and SEC. But again, the only way that league is safe is if realignment is put to a halt. In reality, that league is going to be looked at in the same light as the mega-conferences. It will still receive 5-8 NCAA bids each season.

With that said, I truly believe that MU would/will be picked up by one of the mega-conferences once all of the dust settles. That may be 10 years down the line, it may be two years down the line, but ultimately Marquette offers enough to be included in one of the mega-conferences.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 11:53:51 AM by JamilJaeJamailJrJuan »
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2012, 11:52:51 AM »
Why would any football conference what a basketball only school? I don't see that happening in any conference. If the bball schools are smart, they will take the lead and form a hoops only "super conference".

See above.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2012, 11:57:07 AM »
If Boise, SDSU bail does that make it more likely Houston and SMU do the same? That would be as good as a final nail in the coffin to the BEAST.

Talk now heating up about ACC taking Cincy, Ville AND UConn on Monday:

@bricmiller Just heard from someone tied to Big East, Louisville to the ACC w/ Cincy, UConn to likely follow (deleted since)

"@RiceRadio: I'm hearing Louisville, Cincy, and UConn to #ACC next year."

@jbrinkmeyer Wow, I just got quite the phone call. UConn, UC, and Louisville to join the ACC. To be announced Monday. #bearcats

@jbrinkmeyer: In that call I was told that FSU is the one who wanted to have all 3 invited.

BearcatLair.com‏@BearcatLair
Far from ready to report it, but this UC to the ACC rumor is coming at me from a lot of different directions right now. Crazy night.

if this happens, say goodbye to Buzz

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2012, 12:01:17 PM »
^ Why?
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

unforgiven

• Starter
  • Let he who is without sin cast the first stone!
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2012, 12:03:12 PM »

Actually, there was a Bay Area writer who referred to MU as a mid-major in the mid-late 90's which kicked off a crap storm on the original board. Looking back, he was right. During the Deane years we were a mid-major.
"Times are tough. And people are gonna be drinkin' themselves some booze."     Willie, A Raisin In The Sun

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2012, 12:03:37 PM »
^ Why?

Why would you coach in a league that is falling apart, that has no prospects for gaining ground.  If the BEAST falls apart and we don't attach somewhere quick there is no reason for a highly sought after coach who once coached in a major conference to be stuck with a school that is now in a mid-major conference.

Rick Barnes will be on the hot seat soon...

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2012, 12:05:22 PM »
Why would you coach in a league that is falling apart, that has no prospects for gaining ground.  If the BEAST falls apart and we don't attach somewhere quick there is no reason for a highly sought after coach who once coached in a major conference to be stuck with a school that is now in a mid-major conference.

Wow.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2012, 12:22:43 PM »

What if Buzz turns down the Texas job once Barnes is canned this year?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MUBasketball

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2012, 12:24:36 PM »

Ridiculous. So a conference full of major programs would suddenly become mid-major? How exactly does that happen?

Below is my proposed new conference (including 2 football schools that can park their programs in other conferences...C-USA, MAC, etc):

Marquette
DePaul
Georgetown
Villanova
St. John's
Providence
Seton Hall
Xavier
Memphis
Temple

Tell me, is that a mid-major conference? That's a very good conference (assuming DePaul can eventually get their sh*t together, which would help immensely).

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2012, 12:57:56 PM »

Just fundamentally disagree. The money won't actually change much. We will still be able to pay. And this conference would still be better than the PAC-12...not a mid-major. I'm sorry you view everything with such a negative pessimistic disdain.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2012, 01:01:04 PM »
Ridiculous. So a conference full of major programs would suddenly become mid-major? How exactly does that happen?

Below is my proposed new conference (including 2 football schools that can park their programs in other conferences...C-USA, MAC, etc):

Marquette
DePaul
Georgetown
Villanova
St. John's
Providence
Seton Hall
Xavier
Memphis
Temple

Tell me, is that a mid-major conference? That's a very good conference (assuming DePaul can eventually get their sh*t together, which would help immensely).

Really don't think a school with a football program will park their basketball team in a different conference, much less be allowed to by the conference that grabs their other sports. Memphis will park their basketball in the best football conference they can get into.

Take 2 or all of St. Louis, Creighton, Butler, and Richmond and call it a day.

MUBasketball

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2012, 01:08:41 PM »
Really don't think a school with a football program will park their basketball team in a different conference, much less be allowed to by the conference that grabs their other sports. Memphis will park their basketball in the best football conference they can get into.

Take 2 or all of St. Louis, Creighton, Butler, and Richmond and call it a day.

You might be right, but I doubt it. No power conference will want Memphis or Temple. So where are they going to go? Off the top of my head, Conference USA or the Mid-American Conference would be the main options.

But, C-USA has added future members for the schools departing. So here is the league in the future:

UAB
East Carolina
Marshall
Southern Miss
Rice
UTEP
Tulane
Tulsa
Charlotte
Florida International
Louisiana Tech
North Texas
Old Dominion
Texas-San Antonio

Now I ask you...would Memphis or Temple turn down the league I proposed above to be an all-sports member in the new C-USA? Or the MAC?

Memphis couldn't wait to get out of the current C-USA...and the newer version is worse than the current one. And Temple competed in Big East football this season, while all other sports are finishing up in the A-10. Prior to this season, they were an A-10 member for all sports but football, which was in the MAC.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 01:10:51 PM by MUBasketball »

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2012, 01:17:02 PM »
You might be right, but I doubt it. No power conference will want Memphis or Temple. So where are they going to go? Off the top of my head, Conference USA or the Mid-American Conference would be the main options.

But, C-USA has added future members for the schools departing. So here is the league in the future:

UAB
East Carolina
Marshall
Southern Miss
Rice
UTEP
Tulane
Tulsa
Charlotte
Florida International
Louisiana Tech
North Texas
Old Dominion
Texas-San Antonio

Now I ask you...would Memphis or Temple turn down the league I proposed above to be an all-sports member in the new C-USA? Or the MAC?

Memphis couldn't wait to get out of the current C-USA...and the newer version is worse than the current one. And Temple competed in Big East football this season, while all other sports are finishing up in the A-10. Prior to this season, they were an A-10 member for all sports but football, which was in the MAC.

I get your point, but I think realignment is going to trickle down to mid-major conference eventually. the MWC-CUSA merger idea started getting talked about last year. Programs like Boise, UNLV, BYU, SMU, Houston, SDSU, East Carolina, So Miss, Tulsa, UCF, USF (and Temple) would be a conference Memphis would want to be associated with if they ever had hopes for their football program (remember, Memphis can be considered for an east coast or west coast conference).

I just don't see them giving up on football completely, which is what they'd be doing by going into a bball-only league. Plus, don;t forget about UMass and Charlotte too, who were moving up in football and leaving the A10 because of it.

It would be nice to think we could add UNLV, BYU, Memphis, Temple, UMass into the league - I just wouldn't count on it and would start getting used to the idea of something like this:

EAST
St. John's
Seton Hall
Providence
Richmond
Georgetown
Villanova

WEST
Xavier
Creighton
Butler
St. Louis
DePaul
Marquette
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 01:20:32 PM by Aughnanure »

feedback