Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [MJS Blog] The Maryland fallout. Where does MU fit? ACC?  (Read 19385 times)

MJS_Says

[MJS Blog] The Maryland fallout. Where does MU fit? ACC?
« on: November 17, 2012, 05:30:05 PM »
The Maryland fallout. Where does MU fit? ACC?

Lahaina, Hawaii - With Maryland reportedly on the verge of jumping the ACC for the Big Ten, it is possible that Rutgers could bolt the Big East to follow the Terps.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/179819291.html

muhoops1

• All American
Re: [MJS Blog] The Maryland fallout. Where does MU fit? ACC?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 05:49:24 PM »
This is getting serious.  MU should buy UW-Whitewater and all its assets and make the jump to
1-AA FBS level with eyes of expanding to D1 in 2 yrs.

AirPunches

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 06:02:46 PM »
Just enjoy the vacation Mike. I don't believe he has any legitimate sources that say MU is a good fit for the B1G.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 06:11:29 PM »
The ACC makes the big splash to lure Notre Dame, Syracuse and Pitt, only to watch Maryland go to the Big Ten? Don't get it. And Rutgers brings absolutely nothing to the Big 10 table.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 06:35:48 PM »
Rutgers brings nothing but he largest Television market in the US

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 06:48:46 PM »

That doesn't care about Rutgers, nor do they turn on their TV for them.  All this grabbing markets doesn't do anything if no eyeballs are on the TV.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 07:00:03 PM »
That doesn't care about Rutgers, nor do they turn on their TV for them.  All this grabbing markets doesn't do anything if no eyeballs are on the TV.

But they might start to care if they can get good. Even if they don't, half the battle it about recruiting and there are some excellent basketball and football players from New Jersey.  If you open up those markets to your membership, you can gain access to recruits you may not normally get.

Rutgers also fits their academic mold as one of the 62 members of the AAU which all Big Ten universities except Nebraska is a member.  Maryland is also a member of the AAU.

It would be a nice academic boost for Rutgers for sure.  For Maryland, some great universities in the ACC and some not so great in terms of academics.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 07:09:52 PM »
But they might start to care if they can get good. Even if they don't, half the battle it about recruiting and there are some excellent basketball and football players from New Jersey.  If you open up those markets to your membership, you can gain access to recruits you may not normally get.

Rutgers also fits their academic mold as one of the 62 members of the AAU which all Big Ten universities except Nebraska is a member.  Maryland is also a member of the AAU.

It would be a nice academic boost for Rutgers for sure.  For Maryland, some great universities in the ACC and some not so great in terms of academics.

When it comes to academics the last thing that anyone is looking at is conference affiliation.  Unless you are in the Ivy league.  Also, I know the big wigs care about the AAU, but no one else does. 

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 07:17:51 PM »

The New York television market couldn't find Rutgers on a map.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2012, 07:27:23 PM »
When it comes to academics the last thing that anyone is looking at is conference affiliation.  Unless you are in the Ivy league.  Also, I know the big wigs care about the AAU, but no one else does.  

That is absolutely incorrect when it comes to the Big Ten, especially with the presidents of these schools.  It has been a critical part of their makeup since day one.  Nebraska was part of the AAU when it joined the Big Ten but recently lost that designation.  Faculty at a number of Big Ten schools were not happy.  For many schools and conferences, I would agree with you, but not the Big Ten.  Note what the chancellor of Nebraska said about their ability to make the Big Ten.

"All the Big Ten schools are AAU members. I doubt that our application would've been accepted had we not been a member of the organization.", Nancy Perlman

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2010-06-13/sports/ct-spt-0614-aau-big-ten-expansion--20100613_1_aau-nebraska-chancellor-harvey-perlman-big-ten-members

Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany, speaking at last year's spring meetings as expansion was heating up, had this to say about the Big Ten and its AAU ties: "AAU membership is a part of who we are. It’s an important part of who we are."

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/26078/nebraska-loses-aau-status

It's a big deal for the Big Ten.  The only school they have ever publicly acknowledged willing to let in that wasn't AAU was Notre Dame and ND is consistently one of the top undergraduate programs in the nation, they just aren't the big research university that the AAU tends to give membership to.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2012, 07:57:09 PM »
That is absolutely incorrect when it comes to the Big Ten, especially with the presidents of these schools.  It has been a critical part of their makeup since day one.  Nebraska was part of the AAU when it joined the Big Ten but recently lost that designation.  Faculty at a number of Big Ten schools were not happy.  For many schools and conferences, I would agree with you, but not the Big Ten.  Note what the chancellor of Nebraska said about their ability to make the Big Ten.

"All the Big Ten schools are AAU members. I doubt that our application would've been accepted had we not been a member of the organization.", Nancy Perlman

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2010-06-13/sports/ct-spt-0614-aau-big-ten-expansion--20100613_1_aau-nebraska-chancellor-harvey-perlman-big-ten-members

Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany, speaking at last year's spring meetings as expansion was heating up, had this to say about the Big Ten and its AAU ties: "AAU membership is a part of who we are. It’s an important part of who we are."

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/26078/nebraska-loses-aau-status

It's a big deal for the Big Ten.  The only school they have ever publicly acknowledged willing to let in that wasn't AAU was Notre Dame and ND is consistently one of the top undergraduate programs in the nation, they just aren't the big research university that the AAU tends to give membership to.

Reading comprehension is fundamental.  That is why I said the big wigs care about it, but no one else does.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2012, 08:05:29 PM »
Reading comprehension is fundamental.  That is why I said the big wigs care about it, but no one else does.

Yes, and the big wigs make the decisions, therefore it is absolutely critical.  When you said "When it comes to academics the last thing that anyone is looking at is conference affiliation" I took that to mean exactly that...that no one cares except for the big wigs you cite later.  My reading comprehension is fine.   ;)   It's not just the presidents, but the academics that drive it.  Alumni, etc.  The Big Ten is a unique conference that is very good in athletics and very good at academics top to bottom.  Some conferences are fantastic at athletics (Pac 12, SEC, ACC), but have a mish mash of schools that do it right in the academic realm and those that really don't. 

The Big Ten was the only conference in the country, including the Ivy League, that had every institution as a member of the AAU until Nebraska was dropped last year.  Ironically, Nebraska lost its membership as a result of two Big Ten schools not voting for them...UW-Madison and Michigan.

A pretty good article about the Big East, Big Ten expansion and the AAU.

http://dailymail.com/Sports/WVUSports/201105301093

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2012, 08:14:57 PM »
Yes, and the big wigs make the decisions, therefore it is absolutely critical.  When you said "When it comes to academics the last thing that anyone is looking at is conference affiliation" I took that to mean exactly that...that no one cares except for the big wigs you cite later.  My reading comprehension is fine.   ;)   It's not just the presidents, but the academics that drive it.  Alumni, etc.  The Big Ten is a unique conference that is very good in athletics and very good at academics top to bottom.  Some conferences are fantastic at athletics (Pac 12, SEC, ACC), but have a mish mash of schools that do it right in the academic realm and those that really don't. 

The Big Ten was the only conference in the country, including the Ivy League, that had every institution as a member of the AAU until Nebraska was dropped last year.  Ironically, Nebraska lost its membership as a result of two Big Ten schools not voting for them...UW-Madison and Michigan.

A pretty good article about the Big East, Big Ten expansion and the AAU.

http://dailymail.com/Sports/WVUSports/201105301093

This proves my point.  There isn't a person in this country that thinks the Big Ten has better academics than the Ivies.  AAU, means they bring in more a lot of research dollars.  They should they have like 50,000 students each and because of that a lot of faculty.  Quality over quantity.  I would send my kids to a lot of other schools before the Big Ten, especially for an undergrad education.

The Big Ten is actually not that high of quality for undergrads, grads yes, but not at the undergraduate level.  If you really believe any of these moves has anything to do with academics, then I have a bridge to sell you.  This is about one thing and one thing only, money and athletic image. 

The big donors these 'presidents' are targeting only care about the football team, they could care less if they shuttered up every department in the process.  The academic argument is just to pacify the rest of their donors that actually believe a University should be a location of education. 

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2012, 01:09:22 AM »
Just curious. Is Marquette a AAU member or even close?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2012, 02:20:50 AM »

After reading their Wiki, its not even close. It reads more pretentious than a Notre Dame campus tour in the fall.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2012, 02:21:40 AM »

No and no.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2012, 08:49:30 AM »
No one in New York will ever care about Rutgers football, or any other college football for that matter. It is strictly a pro football town, as are Boston and Philly.
As for the AAU, if Minnesota's student athletes are representative of the group, enough said.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2012, 08:58:19 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_of_American_Universities

I will point out that lack of AAU membership didn't prevent Notre Dame from getting a B10 invite.  So I am not so sure that is an absolute...

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2012, 09:00:56 AM »
Maybe Chicos can help me out on this one, but does it even matter if people in New York start watching BTN due to Rutgers? I've read that as the Big Ten gets schools from more states, it allows for wider distribution for the network at their subscriber fee (I think $.80 per subscriber). So whether the team was watched or not, they'd be able to add BTN to a lot of households, thus getting a lot of money.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2012, 09:51:10 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_of_American_Universities

I will point out that lack of AAU membership didn't prevent Notre Dame from getting a B10 invite.  So I am not so sure that is an absolute...

Academically, though, I believe ND is close to qualifying for membership. Had they joined the B1G, I'm pretty sure they would have been voted into the AAU shortly after.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2012, 10:11:10 AM »
FOX is eyeing an investment in the YES Network.  Fox has investments in BTN.  There may be something there.  The Big Ten would add Wagner if it meant basic cable clearance for BTN.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2012, 10:27:57 AM »
Any conference that admits Nebraska can't say they are really concerned about their academic reputation with a straight face.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2012, 10:57:49 AM »
Any conference that admits Nebraska can't say they are really concerned about their academic reputation with a straight face.

Nebraska was an AAU member up until 2 years ago. The only reason they were voted out is because they don't have a medical college on campus. Academically, they offer exactly what the B1G is looking for (though losing AAU status didn't win them any friends in the league).

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2012, 11:09:06 AM »
Whu would the B10 take MU as a member?  They already have the Milwaukee TV market with Bucky.  The ACC or B12 taking them as a non-football school to expand their reach would make more sense.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2012, 11:14:25 AM »
Whu would the B10 take MU as a member?  They already have the Milwaukee TV market with Bucky.  The ACC or B12 taking them as a non-football school to expand their reach would make more sense.

The B1G would be all over Marquette because we are an AAU member, have a viable football program, a large and wide-reaching alumni base, and open them up to a new top-10 market they don't already have.

Hmm?

What's that?

Oh, we have none of those things?

Well, I guess they wouldn't be interested in us then. Well noted, Another :)

feedback