Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [MJS Blog] The Maryland fallout. Where does MU fit? ACC?  (Read 19384 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: [MJS Blog] The Maryland fallout. Where does MU fit? ACC?
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2012, 02:10:32 PM »
I completely agree. I'm not saying they aren't important. To echo your point, a research university has very little do to with an undergrad education. I'm irritated when people use research money as one of the end-all factors when ranking universities.

The money part is one of the most irritating. There are professors in the MU Civil Engineering department that have helped the DOT make strides in materials and design of the modern freeway construction with minimal amount of monetary support.

I never, ever hear about a whole lot out of UW, but they're engineering research budgets are ridiculous.

Well, I happen to believe that the whole idea of "ranking" universities is silly.  Some students are going to do better, and have a more meaningful experience, at Wisconsin Lutheran than they would at UW-Madison.  But we are going to devalue that experience between Wisconsin Lutheran is ranked lower than UW-Madison?  That's dumb.  Especially if they have been out of school a few years.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2012, 02:14:34 PM »

Well, I happen to believe that the whole idea of "ranking" universities is silly.  Some students are going to do better, and have a more meaningful experience, at Wisconsin Lutheran than they would at UW-Madison.  But we are going to devalue that experience between Wisconsin Lutheran is ranked lower than UW-Madison?  That's dumb.  Especially if they have been out of school a few years.

Well put. Getting tired of agreeing with you all the time lately.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2012, 02:18:22 PM »

Agreed, and that opinion can apply to any school, any age/level, etc.  There are so many variables that a ranking is impossible.  Just trying to make sense of the data is difficult enough...because first generation college students have a higher success rate at small private liberal art schools than at state schools does it mean the schools are better or easier...

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2012, 02:22:47 PM »
Ranking of schools is an enormous business that can obviously translate into mega dollars. Some of the best marketing a school can possibly dream of. It's here to stay.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2012, 02:25:14 PM »

Well, I happen to believe that the whole idea of "ranking" universities is silly.  Some students are going to do better, and have a more meaningful experience, at Wisconsin Lutheran than they would at UW-Madison.  But we are going to devalue that experience between Wisconsin Lutheran is ranked lower than UW-Madison?  That's dumb.  Especially if they have been out of school a few years.

Honestly, would you feel the same way if you worked at a top university or your kid was a student at a top 20 school? Personally, I don't think it's the be all and end all. But, it is an obviously source of pride and accomplishment for those who do.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 02:27:31 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2012, 02:54:05 PM »

Honestly, would you feel the same way if you worked at a top university or your kid was a student at a top 20 school? Personally, I don't think it's the be all and end all. But, it is an obviously source of pride and accomplishment for those who do.

Let me change my response here.  It really does depend on the child.  If I have a child that is gifted and talented, but wasted his gifts and talents and went to the local community college, I wouldn't be very happy.  But for other kids I know, a two year degree is a big accomplishment.  My pride in my kids isn't really about where they go to school, but how hard they push themselves given their natural talents.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 03:28:18 PM by The Sultan of South Wayne »

nyg

• All American
« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2012, 03:25:21 PM »
 60 Minutes is doing an investigative segment on college football and how it effects the institutions tonight. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2012, 03:35:16 PM »

Let me change my response here.  It really does depend on the child.  If I have a child that is gifted and talented, but wasted his gifts and talents and went to the local community college, I wouldn't be very happy.  But for other kids I know, a two year degree is a big accomplishment.  My pride in my kids isn't really about where they go to school, but how hard they push themselves given their natural talents.

I think that's a very valid response. As I remarked, college rankings can be a huge money maker for the schools.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2012, 03:48:36 PM »
I just want to comment on the athletics vs research/academics quickly.  The funny thing is even at the big Universities athletics is a net loss.

Research/Academics on the other hand brings in ridiculous profits.  Big Universities can bring in $100 million dollars a year in research grants.  Whereas much of this goes to fund the research about $.50 of every $1.50 total goes to whatever the University wants to spend it on.  So for $50 million spent on research the University gets a free $25 million to spend on infrastructure/whatever.

In addition, much of this research is patentable, and those rights and the dollars along with it go to the University.  Ask Florida St. what has brought in more money, their athletic program, or Taxol profits.

If the focus was on academics, they would invest more heavily in academics, instead of pissing money away to athletics.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2012, 03:53:52 PM »
60 Minutes is doing a piece on what college football means to the big universities tonight...should be interesting to see what they conclude..
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2012, 03:57:01 PM »
In addition, much of this research is patentable, and those rights and the dollars along with it go to the University.  Ask Florida St. what has brought in more money, their athletic program, or Taxol profits.

In direct costs no doubt.  But what would fundamentally change the University more?  Forgoing Taxol profits or forgoing athletics? 

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2012, 04:18:57 PM »
Hard to explain without some visuals but I'll do my best.  Territories are carved out by television distributors and content providers (Big Ten Network) to determine rates.  These are based primarily on zip codes, DMAs, states.  The "core" territories are those that will yield the highest rate for the content provider and the highest cost for the distributor.  In the case of the Big Ten, think of the states in which the Big Ten has a member school.  You are correct that by grabbing New Jersey, and thus the NY DMA, it expands their "core" territory and will mean more $$$ the next round of contract negotiations.  Of course, there are many of us on the distributor side that are putting our foot down as well because the costs are so out of control....see Pac 12 distribution as on example.  With the SEC coming online soon, it only gets worse.

So yes, going into that area does mean higher subscription fees because it will expand the core territory.  Without that state, a DMA like New York is relegated to a different tier which will yield a payment far lower than that.  The question that all distributors are dealing with right now is how much is too much.  We are all sports fans that are passionate about their sports and willing to pay for them, but we forget that far more people don't give a crap about sports than those that do.  Because all these networks demand wide distribution (i.e.  EYEBALLS for advertisers), they will not allow these networks to be sold only to people that actually want them.  So what happens is that if adding Rutgers to the Big Ten means a huge cost expenditure for Fios, ATT, Directv, Dish, Comcast, etc, etc that has to be passed on to all their customers, including grandma Jones on a fixed income who doesn't even know Rutgers exists let alone what the game of football is, that becomes problematic because the rate increases are getting so out of control.

It's a different world.  Dish has already basically pulled out of major DMAs like New York with their sports options.  The recent Lakers deal here in L.A. was a war between our company and them...DISH took a pass, some cable companies like Comcast still haven't reached a deal either.  So it will be a calculated move by the Big Ten to know they may pick up the largest DMA and the associated spoils that go along with it, but they may also lose distributorship as well.  Of course, the distributor will also lose subscribers over it, but if they feel those losses are less than the expenditures of signing on those channels, they will do it in a heartbeat.

I would add, as I had previously, opening up to New York is more than just television and $$$, it is also access to a huge population and recruiting base. 

Thanks. I appreciate the response.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2012, 04:35:57 PM »
So you can get AAU accreditation and still allow functional illiterates to "graduate" as long as they help you win the Rose Bowl?

Warriors10

• All American
« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2012, 04:39:27 PM »
60 Minutes is doing a piece on what college football means to the big universities tonight...should be interesting to see what they conclude..

That Aaron Rodgers is a very emotional people hater

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2012, 06:07:34 PM »

In direct costs no doubt.  But what would fundamentally change the University more?  Forgoing Taxol profits or forgoing athletics? 

Direct costs refer only to the grants.  The Taxol profits are from IP rights.  The amount they made is several hundred million dollars. 

I'll tell you right now, if Fla. St. was told they had to give up research (including Taxol money) or Football, they would give up Football in a heart beat.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2012, 07:46:22 PM »

Not much that we didn't already know.

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2012, 12:46:43 AM »
The New York television market couldn't find Rutgers on a map.
I'd have to agree with you here.  Notre Dame has a decent draw in New York, but as big as the market is I believe 6% of its viewers watched the BCS title game.  Certainly it is still a plus for Rutgers to be in NY market, but it's not as much a slam dunk as it might appear at first.
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #67 on: November 19, 2012, 10:48:46 PM »
FOX is eyeing an investment in the YES Network.  Fox has investments in BTN.  There may be something there.  The Big Ten would add Wagner if it meant basic cable clearance for BTN.

Yes, well actually it is NewsCorp, the parent company of Fox.  Likely buying 49% of YES.  The Yankees stand to make about $250 to $300 million off the deal.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #68 on: November 20, 2012, 07:09:06 AM »
This is getting serious.  MU should buy UW-Whitewater and all its assets and make the jump to
1-AA FBS level with eyes of expanding to D1 in 2 yrs.

Why people on this board continue to think having a crappy second level football helps is beyond me.  If we did this, we would be far worse off.

Conference realignment is about football, and only football. If we had a 1-aa team, we would have to realign to an appropriate football conference, think the Patriot league.  Then our basketball team would be forced into that conference and that would be the end of MU basketball as we know it.

At some point the major conferences will open up to non-football schools.  Those schools will not share in football revenues, but will share basketball revenues.  When that happens, we will be in a good place.

Be patient

feedback