Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: DePaul, McPier discuss new stadium near McCormick Place  (Read 17766 times)

mr.MUskie

• All American
DePaul, McPier discuss new stadium near McCormick Place
« on: September 28, 2012, 04:26:15 PM »

September 28, 2012
DePaul University is talking about moving its basketball games to a new facility that would be built for it near McCormick Place, in a deal being pushed by Mayor Rahm Emanuel.

That's what I hear from multiple inside sources, as discussions continue about DePaul's desire to return Blue Demons games to the city from where they're now played, in Rosemont — past O'Hare Airport, and many miles from the school's main Lincoln Park Campus.

Sources confirm that a Sun-Times story that the school also has been talking with Chicago Bulls owner Jerry Reinsdorf about playing in the United Center and/or sharing a practice facility.

But more serious, I'm told, are the discussions with the Metropolitan Pier and Exposition Authority, which owns and operates McCormick Place.

Though the agency, known as McPier, is not now in the sporting business, it has more than $100 million in untapped bonding authority, funds that could be used to construct an area. And adequate land is available within walking distance of McCormick Place and its large parking lots.

Sources say Mr. Emanuel is behind the idea because much of the Near South Side near the convention center goes dark when a big convention is not running, which is most of the time. For instance, the area lacks many good restaurants, bars and shops.

As recently as earlier today, Mr. Emanuel emphasized a wide variety of infrastructure improvements in the Near South area, including one new Chicago Transit Authority station and significant renovations in another.

DePaul's board has formally stated its intention to bring the Blue Demons back to town. Sports sources say it might be easier for the team to recruit top talent if they play in Chicago rather than in the relatively isolated Allstate Arena.

DePaul has been looking at sites in the Clybourn Corridor and other locals near the North Branch of the Chicago River, on the west end of Lincoln Park. But all face significant potential access and congestion problems. And putting a large stadium near a residential neighborhood could create political difficulties.

Both DePaul and Mr. Emanuel's office were informed earlier this afternoon that I was working on a story about the McPier talks. Neither had immediate comment.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20120928/BLOGS02/120929739?template=printart

Nukem2

• All American
Re: DePaul, McPier discuss new stadium near McCormick Place
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 04:31:52 PM »
Still not easy access from campus.  Closer..yes...but

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 04:53:43 PM »
Still not easy access from campus.  Closer..yes...but

It's not bad to the extent that the stadium would be relatively close to the existing Red Line.

It's bad to the extent that I don't want to walk down Cermak to the Red Line station after a 7:00 game.  But that can be solved with a simple shuttle bus.

It would be good to the extent that they could put a Red Line station at the stadium between the Chinatown and Sox stations.  If they ran N/S on the green-line tracks, it would only add a negligible amount of time to through-route passengers, and the City would only have to build a couple blocks E/W in two places (as opposed to routing a whole new line).  That way, students have direct access from campus, the existing Red Line stops aren't changed, and the teamsters get a fat contract.  Everybody wins.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 05:25:10 PM »
Is this much better than the Rosemont Horizon (or whatever they call that dump these days)??? I guess it's a bit closer, but still far removed from the campus. Is there any possible way they could expand Alumni Hall? I'm not talking about making it an 18,000 arena...but perhaps make it a 6,000 or 7,000 seat facility?

If so, you could play the bulk of your schedule there...and your "marquee" games at the UC.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 05:46:38 PM by Groin_pull »

kryza

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 07:08:39 PM »
Is this much better than the Rosemont Horizon (or whatever they call that dump these days)??? I guess it's a bit closer, but still far removed from the campus. Is there any possible way they could expand Alumni Hall? I'm not talking about making it an 18,000 arena...but perhaps make it a 6,000 or 7,000 seat facility?

If so, you could play the bulk of your schedule there...and your "marquee" games at the UC.

No it probably wouldn't work, parking is a huge issue in Chicago, especially near DePaul. I'm still a fan of building it in the Clybourn corridor, but I could see this option working well.

chitown

• Walk-On
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 08:00:17 PM »
the Mayor has proposed building a Green Line station at Cermak,

http://depaul.scout.com/2/1226114.html

chr31ter

• Walk-On
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 10:51:19 PM »
Is this much better than the Rosemont Horizon (or whatever they call that dump these days)??? I guess it's a bit closer, but still far removed from the campus.

It's half as far from the Lincoln Park Campus as Allstate Arena, and it sounds like it'll be accessible via the Green Line.  It's only two and a half miles away from the school's Loop Campus.  And it's actually IN the city, where like, a lot of people live, as opposed to right near the airport, where like, not as many people live.

Is there any possible way they could expand Alumni Hall? I'm not talking about making it an 18,000 arena...but perhaps make it a 6,000 or 7,000 seat facility?

Alumni Hall was torn down years ago to make room for the new Student Center:

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 06:10:57 PM »

September 28, 2012
DePaul University is talking about moving its basketball games to a new facility that would be built for it near McCormick Place, in a deal being pushed by Mayor Rahm Emanuel.

That's what I hear from multiple inside sources, as discussions continue about DePaul's desire to return Blue Demons games to the city from where they're now played, in Rosemont — past O'Hare Airport, and many miles from the school's main Lincoln Park Campus.

Sources confirm that a Sun-Times story that the school also has been talking with Chicago Bulls owner Jerry Reinsdorf about playing in the United Center and/or sharing a practice facility.

But more serious, I'm told, are the discussions with the Metropolitan Pier and Exposition Authority, which owns and operates McCormick Place.

Though the agency, known as McPier, is not now in the sporting business, it has more than $100 million in untapped bonding authority, funds that could be used to construct an area. And adequate land is available within walking distance of McCormick Place and its large parking lots.

Sources say Mr. Emanuel is behind the idea because much of the Near South Side near the convention center goes dark when a big convention is not running, which is most of the time. For instance, the area lacks many good restaurants, bars and shops.

As recently as earlier today, Mr. Emanuel emphasized a wide variety of infrastructure improvements in the Near South area, including one new Chicago Transit Authority station and significant renovations in another.

DePaul's board has formally stated its intention to bring the Blue Demons back to town. Sports sources say it might be easier for the team to recruit top talent if they play in Chicago rather than in the relatively isolated Allstate Arena.

DePaul has been looking at sites in the Clybourn Corridor and other locals near the North Branch of the Chicago River, on the west end of Lincoln Park. But all face significant potential access and congestion problems. And putting a large stadium near a residential neighborhood could create political difficulties.

Both DePaul and Mr. Emanuel's office were informed earlier this afternoon that I was working on a story about the McPier talks. Neither had immediate comment.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20120928/BLOGS02/120929739?template=printart

In Illinois, a state being relentlessly driven into bankruptcy by its elected officials, a governmental entity having more than $100 million in untapped bonding authority is considered a mortal sin.  So, I've got to believe that this will happen.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 11:38:57 AM »
Alumni Hall was torn down years ago to make room for the new Student Center:

DePaul women now play at the Sullivan Center, which more-or-less has taken on the roles of the old Alumni Hall.  The Sullivan Center seats about 3,000.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 12:52:44 PM »
Rahm weighs in:

Mayor Rahm Emanuel wants DePaul University's men's basketball team back playing its games in Chicago, but he's not publicly stating his preference on where that should happen.

Asked about reports the Blue Demons are considering either building a new arena around the Motor Row area near McCormick Place in the South Loop or becoming a tenant at the West Side United Center, Emanuel only said he wants to figure out how to get them back into Chicago after decades playing in Rosemont.

"DePaul for years has been talking about a stadium in Chicago that's better for their basketball team, better for their fans and better to be close to home," Emanuel said at a news conference about trade shows at McCormick Place. "It is in our interest as a city that they choose Chicago. And so we're going to work together to look at Chicago being a home for DePaul's Blue Demons. It will be a win for DePaul and a win for the city of Chicago."

Pressed about where specifically he would like to see them tip off, Emanuel said "That ultimately is up to them, but I want them to pick Chicago."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/politics/clout/chi-emanuel-wants-depaul-playing-basketball-back-in-chicago-20121001,0,112555.story

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 02:30:31 PM »
It seems the talk amongst DePaul alums downtown today is that the UC is the favorite for next year, but it would only be temporary until a permanent option within the city is found/built.  Granted this is coming from only 2 alums, but I think those two account for 40% of DePaul alums who care about basketball.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-spt-0929-depaul-united-center--20120929,0,7457194.story

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2012, 03:28:23 PM »
Granted this is coming from only 2 alums, but I think those two account for 40% of DePaul alums who care about basketball.

I know this is forever ago, but as a son of DePaul alumni, I remember going to games as a kid when the Rosemont Horizon was rocking.  The team had the 10th highest attendance in the nation 1985, and consistently drew big crowds throughout most of the 80's, which is impressive considering Chicago doesn't particularly care about collegiate athletics.  Some, though not many, of those fans still exist.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/m_basketball_RB/Reports/attendanceYBYtop25.pdf

Marqevans

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2012, 07:03:35 PM »
They need to be within walking distance of the campus.  They talked about sites much closer a few months ago. McCormack place would be awful as far as getting there from the North.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2012, 11:51:48 PM »
This is no better than the Horizon.

DePaul has needed an 8,000-seat on-campus arena for years and still does. It could play most of its games there and, if it ever gets good and can draw fans, could play really big games at the U.C.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2012, 07:40:45 AM »
It seems the talk amongst DePaul alums downtown today is that the UC is the favorite for next year, but it would only be temporary until a permanent option within the city is found/built.  Granted this is coming from only 2 alums, but I think those two account for 40% of DePaul alums who care about basketball.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-spt-0929-depaul-united-center--20120929,0,7457194.story

DePaul averaged 7,700 fans at home games last year.  That is going to look pathetic in the UC.
Have some patience, FFS.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2012, 07:48:15 AM »
Down near McCormick? Oh God that blows. Has anyone been down there, or tried to go from downtown to McCormick? Worse yet, how about traveling in from the 'burbs to McCormick on a weeknight? Good lord that will be horrific. Rosemont is a dump, but at least you can get there. Why would you build another stadium that's, technically, closer to campus than Rosemont, but gives you just as much, if not more, problems?

Location location location.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2012, 08:12:21 AM »
Down near McCormick? Oh God that blows. Has anyone been down there, or tried to go from downtown to McCormick? Worse yet, how about traveling in from the 'burbs to McCormick on a weeknight? Good lord that will be horrific. Rosemont is a dump, but at least you can get there. Why would you build another stadium that's, technically, closer to campus than Rosemont, but gives you just as much, if not more, problems?

Except there is no easy way to get from downtown to Rosemont. If there was an EL stop there it would work, but there is not. The only really easy thing would be to play at the UC but as mentioned above, would look crazy. But hey, St. Johns plays at the Garden with an average of 8,400 so maybe it wouldn't be too bad.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2012, 09:42:43 AM »

That's why they need to swing the Red Line over to the stadium site @ McCormick to make it work for the students.  For alums driving in from the 'burbs, McCormick isn't any less accessible than Wrigley, Comiskey or the UFO crash site, and fans driving in on weeknights for those games seem to manage just fine.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2012, 10:21:48 AM »
Except there is no easy way to get from downtown to Rosemont. If there was an EL stop there it would work, but there is not. The only really easy thing would be to play at the UC but as mentioned above, would look crazy. But hey, St. Johns plays at the Garden with an average of 8,400 so maybe it wouldn't be too bad.

Actually, there is a Blue Line stop in Rosemont (and O'Hare), but it's a pretty loonnng walk from there to the arena, especially in January or February. The school could run shuttles, though.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2012, 10:28:55 AM »
Actually, there is a Blue Line stop in Rosemont (and O'Hare), but it's a pretty loonnng walk from there to the arena, especially in January or February. The school could run shuttles, though.

From DePaul, you'd have to start by taking the red line downtown to transfer to the blue line, though, I think.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2012, 10:42:05 AM »
From DePaul, you'd have to start by taking the red line downtown to transfer to the blue line, though, I think.

True.
But I was responding to a remark about getting from downtown to Rosemont.

6Under20

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2012, 12:53:49 PM »
DePaul averaged 7,700 fans at home games last year.  That is going to look pathetic in the UC.
  Depaul could put up a big black curtain in front of the upper deck like the Minnesota Lynx did at the Target Center to make it look more 'intimate'.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2012, 07:37:31 PM »
That's why they need to swing the Red Line over to the stadium site @ McCormick to make it work for the students.  For alums driving in from the 'burbs, McCormick isn't any less accessible than Wrigley, Comiskey or the UFO crash site, and fans driving in on weeknights for those games seem to manage just fine.

Yeah, but to go through that hassle to watch DePaul basketball.........
Have some patience, FFS.

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2012, 09:30:25 PM »
I know this is forever ago, but as a son of DePaul alumni, I remember going to games as a kid when the Rosemont Horizon was rocking.  The team had the 10th highest attendance in the nation 1985, and consistently drew big crowds throughout most of the 80's, which is impressive considering Chicago doesn't particularly care about collegiate athletics.  Some, though not many, of those fans still exist.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/m_basketball_RB/Reports/attendanceYBYtop25.pdf

Chicago is big on college athletics. It's a huge Big 10 town with sizeable alumni bases from Notre Dame, Notre Dame, SLU, and even several Big 12 and SEC Schools. It's just not big on college athletics for the schools physically within the city limits, and when your only D1 options are DePaul, Loyola, and Chicago State, you can see why.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 09:33:13 PM by Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup »
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2012, 09:51:11 PM »
Chicago is big on college athletics. It's a huge Big 10 town with sizeable alumni bases from Notre Dame, Notre Dame, SLU, and even several Big 12 and SEC Schools. It's just not big on college athletics for the schools physically within the city limits, and when your only D1 options are DePaul, Loyola, and Chicago State, you can see why.

ND sucks.  Did i mention ND sucks.  Nothin worse than a south side subway alum whatever pullin' for "gods team".  Morons.