Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: DePaul, McPier discuss new stadium near McCormick Place  (Read 17767 times)

dgies9156

• All American
Re: DePaul, McPier discuss new stadium near McCormick Place
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2012, 10:22:47 PM »
Worth pointing out that an L line isn't like a slip-n-slide that you can just pick up and drop wherever. "Swinging the red line over" towards McCormick Place would cost millions of completely unnecessary dollars.

Cubs fans, Sox fans (and yes, even DePaul students) don't mind taking the Red Line because it drops you off half a block from Wrigley, Sox Park, and both of DePaul's city campuses. Meanwhile, the closest Red Line stop to McCormick Place is Chinatown-Cermak, and it's a solid 15-minute, mile-long walk to McCormick Place. That's not gonna fly on a Tuesday night in January.

Or maybe Roosevelt or IIT 35th Street. Cold and for boding. Depaul students = targets and victims.

It would be at least $300 million to extend the Red Line to McCormick/Soldier Field. And for what? So some friend of a Chicago politician gets rich off graft? So some construction tradesmen get jobs? Or so Depaul gets a more convenient basketball arena. All make sense only in the convoluted world of Chicago politics.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 10:24:43 PM by dgies9156 »

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2012, 10:37:49 AM »
Worth pointing out that an L line isn't like a slip-n-slide that you can just pick up and drop wherever. "Swinging the red line over" towards McCormick Place would cost millions of completely unnecessary dollars.

Cubs fans, Sox fans (and yes, even DePaul students) don't mind taking the Red Line because it drops you off half a block from Wrigley, Sox Park, and both of DePaul's city campuses. Meanwhile, the closest Red Line stop to McCormick Place is Chinatown-Cermak, and it's a solid 15-minute, mile-long walk to McCormick Place. That's not gonna fly on a Tuesday night in January.

Really, that's just a very small percentage of the 5.7 billion dollars estimated to be necessary to make DePaul basketball a top program again.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2012, 11:38:20 AM »
Everyone has talked about Red Line service to IIT 35th or to Roosevelt.

I think what the city is proposing is something closer to the new Green Line station being built between Cermak and 23rd. 

There's former CHA land a block to the west--which is where I would guess the arena would go.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2012, 01:32:19 PM »
I think what the city is proposing is something closer to the new Green Line station being built between Cermak and 23rd. 

There's former CHA land a block to the west--which is where I would guess the arena would go.

Cermak and 23rd Streets. That's the first neighborhood I think of when I want to go walking alone late at night.

It's improving but you're still rolling the dice.

I'm sure the neighbors will be excited about a basketball arena next to Tommy Gun's Restaurant and Club.

Folks, if DePaul is going to play in the City, why not have them play at UIC. It's the right size -- about 10,000 persons -- and it's right off the EL tracks and the Eisenhower Expressway. It's also right near the JFK and DRE for easy access. But wait, there's no graft and no more indebtedness for Illinois if we do that. Of course it will never happen then!

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2012, 08:43:35 AM »
It would be at least $300 million to extend the Red Line to McCormick/Soldier Field. And for what? So some friend of a Chicago politician gets rich off graft? So some construction tradesmen get jobs? Or so Depaul gets a more convenient basketball arena. All make sense only in the convoluted world of Chicago politics.

I see I'm not the only one here who understands how Chicago works.  It's amazing how many lifelong and multi-generational residents are completely blind to this reality and those who aren't are mostly apathetic to the whole thing. 
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2012, 09:46:19 AM »
I see I'm not the only one here who understands how Chicago works.  It's amazing how many lifelong and multi-generational residents are completely blind to this reality and those who aren't are mostly apathetic to the whole thing. 

They need to watch Boss on Starz

T-Bone

• All American
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

feedback