[Today at 03:02:37 PM]

What do Wisconsinites call people from Illinois? by tower912
[Today at 03:01:12 PM]

2024 Scoop Art Competition by Skatastrophy
[Today at 09:53:42 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[June 10, 2024, 10:45:56 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Dwade reppin IU and Tom Crean  (Read 25448 times)

NersEllenson

• All American
Re: Dwade reppin IU and Tom Crean
« Reply #75 on: October 01, 2012, 02:49:57 PM »
Think we are being a little over sensitive regarding Wade wearing some Indiana gear.  He and TC have a great relationship - Wade recognizes TC helped him evolve into the player and man he's become, and sure TC realizes Wade has helped his career tremendously.  There's a mutual respect and admiration that exists between the two, and I think we should respect that.  Don't see anything wrong with a player supporting his former coach by wearing some of his coach's new team's gear.

Wade still is very active around MU and has involved Buzz in his camps, cultivated a relationship with Buzz, shown up for March Madness as has been pointed out.  Wade's been a huge asset to MU, and for that, I say he can wear whatever he wants (other than Wisconsin Badger gear.)

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Gato78

• Team Captain
« Reply #76 on: October 01, 2012, 02:58:33 PM »
DWade, through Boys & Girls Club sponsors 4 or 5 scholarships at MU annually. Not sure if he pays for all of them but the pub makes it sound like that is the case. What more can you ask of him? How can anyone question his loyalty?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #77 on: October 01, 2012, 03:21:54 PM »
DWade, through Boys & Girls Club sponsors 4 or 5 scholarships at MU annually. Not sure if he pays for all of them but the pub makes it sound like that is the case. What more can you ask of him? How can anyone question his loyalty?

I have not questioned Wade's loyalty. Don't think anyone else has either. As others have said, I don't see him as the problem here.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #78 on: October 01, 2012, 04:33:58 PM »
I have not questioned Wade's loyalty. Don't think anyone else has either. As others have said, I don't see him as the problem here.

Does Crean pick out Dwyane's clothing and run his instagram?

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #79 on: October 01, 2012, 04:44:40 PM »
If you think the relationships Buzz cultivates with that homeless dude or the people in and around Buzz's Bunch resemble Crean's pursuits of Calapari, LaRussa, etal, so be it. If you choose to be blind I can't make you see.

Buzz Williams is well known for his 425 weekly handrwitten letters to other coaches, cultivating relationships across college basketball.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8011917/some-top-coaches-prove-play-high-level-coach-one-men-college-basketball

So is Buzz, as you put it, "calculatingly classless" for intentionally writing to so many coaches so early in his career, and using those relationships to get future jobs?

The question is why you would leave Wade out of this?  

Its as if you think Tom Crean has some unique mind-control power that he's unilaterally forceing Wade to put on IU gear and say complementary things about Crean.

In fact, why do you see a "problem" in the first place?

You're like the kid in the Sixth Sense who sees things nobody else can.  
Crean develops a great relationship with a player?  You see a problem
Develops relationships with other leaders across the sports field?  You see a problem

Let's apply a common sense filter.

Coaching is an industry where people throw away their career by making fewer than 100 impermissible phone calls (out of 20,000 total calls), cover up for a murder, or break the rules and lie about giving a $7 t-shirt if they think it will give them a recruiting advantage.  

Now you're saying that the only reason why no other coach in college basketball permits a player to "rep" for him is that somehow, universally, they voluntarily abide by an unwritten norm that says "I won't accept help from a former player or build relationships with MLB and NFL leaders becuase I don't want it to look like i'm using them"?

Who are you crappin?  

The first fundamental truth is Crean can no more "use" Wade that Buzz can "use" Acie Law.  Once a player leaves, the coach has no control over him

The second truth is that if any other coach would do exactly the same thing in an instant if they though it would give them an edge on recruiting a player.  

Which means that maybe the reason why Wade stands alone in repping IU is that no other NBA player respects his college coach as much as Wade does Crean.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #80 on: October 01, 2012, 05:57:41 PM »
Who are you crappin?

Gotta agree with the gist of this. While I don't like TC using Wade as though he's an Indiana player, I also don't like Wade portraying himself as an Indiana player. And again, I can't even imagine the outrage we'd see from other fanbases if Deron Williams showed up somewhere in Kansas gear, or Derrick Rose sporting Kentucky threads, or Antoine Walker working out in his sweet Louisville apparel.

We're way too apologetic, as though we deserve to have the best player in our history showing as much allegiance to another school that he has zero connection with (not to confuse IU and TC, they are not one and the same) as he does to us. I don't think there's another high-major school that would just smile and nod in lockstep.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #81 on: October 01, 2012, 06:09:06 PM »
We're way too apologetic, as though we deserve to have the best player in our history showing as much allegiance to another school that he has zero connection with (not to confuse IU and TC, they are not one and the same) as he does to us. I don't think there's another high-major school that would just smile and nod in lockstep.

So, other than sporting Indiana gear on two occasions, could you cite some of the ways in which Dwyane Wade has shown "as much allegiance" to IU as he has MU.
Shown up at their Madness?
Taken part charity events?
Brought high-profile NBA teammates to IU games?
Visited with IU students on campus?
Choose the IU campus for one of his handful of book-signing events?
Participated in a jersey-retiring ceremony at IU?
Participated in the creation of a Jordan Fly Wade Indiana shoe?
Is there a Converse commercial out there featuring Dwyane and IU?

What's he done for IU other than wear a T-shirt and gym shorts?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #82 on: October 01, 2012, 06:21:24 PM »
I overstate somewhat.

But no one else is doing this, and it smacks of inferiority complex that we all think it's cool.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #83 on: October 02, 2012, 12:11:19 PM »
I overstate somewhat.

But no one else is doing this, and it smacks of inferiority complex that we all think it's cool.

Dude, you're taking it too far with the amateur psychologist diagnosis.

For the life of me, I've never understood why panties get bunched over crap like this. You'd think we have a program with absolutely no issues to it with the way this topic gets overplayed every second month.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #84 on: October 02, 2012, 12:38:14 PM »

For the life of me, I've never understood why panties get bunched over crap like this. You'd think we have a program with absolutely no issues to it with the way this topic gets overplayed every second month.

If it gets overplayed, the overplaying pales in comparison to the reaction to the overplaying.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #85 on: October 02, 2012, 02:50:23 PM »

Yeah...it's way too much for me to think we should have the same pride in our program that other schools do, and the same expectation that our graduates will demonstrate loyalty to our own school and not other schools, you know, like every other school. I can't imagine any other HM program that would be fine with this the way that so many of our fans seem to be.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #86 on: October 02, 2012, 03:17:01 PM »

Which means that maybe the reason why Wade stands alone in repping IU is that no other NBA player respects his college coach as much as Wade does Crean.

Who are you crappin'?

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #87 on: October 02, 2012, 04:02:48 PM »
Who are you crappin'?

Makes more sense than your suggestion that the only recruitng rule that coaches universally adhere to is your "no rep" rule.

But go ahead, name another NBA all-star who appears to have a closer relationship with his college coach than Wade.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #88 on: October 02, 2012, 04:19:01 PM »
Yeah...it's way too much for me to think we should have the same pride in our program that other schools do, and the same expectation that our graduates will demonstrate loyalty to our own school and not other schools, you know, like every other school. I can't imagine any other HM program that would be fine with this the way that so many of our fans seem to be.

What are you asking us to do? I have MU pride. I have a lot of it.

Does that mean I should write Dwyane a nasty tweet because he wore IU shorts? How do you want us to react? Rage?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #89 on: October 02, 2012, 04:23:56 PM »
I overstate somewhat.

Who's said "It's cool" or anything of the sort?
I think the more appropriate response is:

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #90 on: October 02, 2012, 04:25:05 PM »

Who's said "It's cool" or anything of the sort?
I think the more appropriate response is:

Oh Emma, why you so hot?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #91 on: October 02, 2012, 04:30:49 PM »
What are you asking us to do? I have MU pride. I have a lot of it.

Does that mean I should write Dwyane a nasty tweet because he wore IU shorts? How do you want us to react? Rage?

No. Not at all. I'm not enraged. Just disappointed. Disappointed in Wade and disappointed that so many of us don't seem to care. Maybe a touch irritated that TC has the need to keep pandering for Wade to promote him. The guy is going to have a team ranked in the top 3 to start the season, possibly #1. He had plenty of success at Marquette and can now say he's got Indiana back on the map. Why he has to keep using Wade, trying to make it seem as if he's an IU figure (and having Wade work out there, sending him IU gear to wear, that's exactly what he's doing and don't think for a minute he isn't conscious of it) when he has plenty of his own laurels to rest upon.

Not asking for anything. Just expressing my own feelings on the matter.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #92 on: October 02, 2012, 04:51:45 PM »
No. Not at all. I'm not enraged. Just disappointed. Disappointed in Wade and disappointed that so many of us don't seem to care.

And what if everybody cared? Does it even matter? What are we going to do, start an email campaign to Dwyane telling him we are offended?

I just don't think it matters. 

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #93 on: October 03, 2012, 09:08:35 AM »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #94 on: October 03, 2012, 10:33:27 AM »

But go ahead, name another NBA all-star who appears to have a closer relationship with his college coach than Wade.

Wow. First you say that no other player in the entire frackin' NBA respects his coach as much as Wade does Crean. When called out on that patently absurd and unproveable assertion, you (as always) move the goal posts about 80 yards and demand an NBA All Star who isn't just as close, but closer to his college coach than Crean.

In reality, neither you nor I have any frackin' idea of how close Wade is to Crean and where that relationship stands in the pantheon of NBA player/college coach lovefests. I don't particularly care, either, though I'd guess is it's fairly high up there given that TC is a master at cultivating relationships that can be useful to him.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #95 on: October 03, 2012, 01:46:07 PM »
I just don't think it matters. 

I get that. You already said that numerous times. I really thought we agreed to disagree. Shouldn't that have been the end?

Warriors 79

• Scholarship Player
  • The only hotter lady is my wife....
« Reply #96 on: October 04, 2012, 08:43:28 AM »
TC: Shameless self promoter (Seriously, name me one other professional Midwestern male who uses a tanning bed year round...) who used MU to get to IU and along the way got MU back on the map of elite CBB and brought us D Wade and Buzz. 

Move on. No one else cares.  Trust me, I live in the PNW and Marq has a great rep out here now because of Buzz and BTB Sweet 16 appearances.  NO ONE else but you guys who have made this thread go on for 4 pages cares anymore about D Wade's and TC's relationship and who is braiding whose hair. Or what color Buzz paints his garage.  Really?

Wade can wear whatever shorts he wants. I graduated from IU, too, BTW, and don't care.  The die hard Warrior in me cares about Buzz and the present.

Next topic.....
"I went into a restaurant one night and ordered lobster, and the waiter brought me one with a claw missing. He told me that in the back there's a tank they keep the lobsters in and while they're in there, they fight and sometimes one loses a claw. I told him to bring me a winner."  Al McGuire

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #97 on: October 04, 2012, 12:46:37 PM »
TC: Shameless self promoter (Seriously, name me one other professional Midwestern male who uses a tanning bed year round...) who used MU to get to IU and along the way got MU back on the map of elite CBB and brought us D Wade and Buzz. 

Move on. No one else cares.  Trust me, I live in the PNW and Marq has a great rep out here now because of Buzz and BTB Sweet 16 appearances.  NO ONE else but you guys who have made this thread go on for 4 pages cares anymore about D Wade's and TC's relationship and who is braiding whose hair. Or what color Buzz paints his garage.  Really?

Wade can wear whatever shorts he wants. I graduated from IU, too, BTW, and don't care.  The die hard Warrior in me cares about Buzz and the present.

Next topic.....

KU too, aina?

feedback