[Today at 12:00:22 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2012 Ryder Cup  (Read 16688 times)

tower912

• All American
2012 Ryder Cup
« on: September 04, 2012, 01:27:49 PM »
DL3 with the captain's picks this morning, Stricker, Furyk, DJohnson and Snedeker.  They join Woods, Mickelson, Simpson, Bubba, ZJohnson, Dufner, Bradley, Kuchar. As solid a US team in some time and it may still not be enough.   The Euros are tough.    Thank goodness it is a home game this time.    Anyone going to be there?    In Chicagoland, after all.   And DL3 even threw in an obscure Caddyshack reference during his announcement, introducing his captain's picks 'by height.'
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

lab_warrior

• All American
Re: 2012 Ryder Cup
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 01:47:11 PM »

Just an FYI, Team Europe:

Donald, Kaymer, McIlroy, Westwood, Hanson, Poulter, McDowell, Molinari, Colsaerts, Garcia, Lawrie, Rose

Some really good potential matches...I think USA wins this, but it'll be close.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 01:52:01 PM »
DL3 with the captain's picks this morning, Stricker, Furyk, DJohnson and Snedeker.  They join Woods, Mickelson, Simpson, Bubba, ZJohnson, Dufner, Bradley, Kuchar. As solid a US team in some time and it may still not be enough.   The Euros are tough.    Thank goodness it is a home game this time.    Anyone going to be there?    In Chicagoland, after all.   And DL3 even threw in an obscure Caddyshack reference during his announcement, introducing his captain's picks 'by height.'

I lucked into Sunday Singles tickets (courtesy of a fellow MU Alum) and I am beyond excited. It's going to be very tough for the US and I Am not expecting a win. However, playing at home hopefully can swing the tide.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 02:05:21 PM »
I'll be there Friday.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 02:20:54 PM »
If you're not following Norm MacDonald on Twitter during events, you need to start.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 03:28:29 PM »
I lucked into Sunday Singles tickets (courtesy of a fellow MU Alum) and I am beyond excited. It's going to be very tough for the US and I Am not expecting a win. However, playing at home hopefully can swing the tide.

Sounds like a secondary recruiting violation to me. Expect a 3 game suspension.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Goose

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 03:32:19 PM »
I will be there for Tuesday practice round and on Sunday. Oldest son is a volunteer and he is taking the old man along.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 02:30:07 PM »
Was done there Tuesday and had a blast. Highly recommend it.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 04:01:15 PM »
Exciting golf so far.    Tiger hitting it off of the planet. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

nyg

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 06:30:18 PM »
Yes Tiger stunk it up in morning play, but in afternoon best ball he was awesome.  Lost only because Colsaerts was 10 under on his own ball.  Just great putting performance.

Captain picks Furyk and Stricker were terrible.  Love should have went with Mahan and maybe Fowler instead.

Sit Furyk and Stricker and go with the young studs.  Pair Dufner with Tiger tomorrow.

Mickelson and Bradley will play both sessions.
Simpson and Watson should play both.

Should be fun. 

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2012, 10:08:51 PM »
I think that the US might be in for a nice string of Ryder Cups over the next decade with a great batch of younger guys really coming into their own, all of whom are friends off the course.  Call it the Tiger factor, but most of these guys came into the tour and grew up with Tiger being such a force, that they became legitimately happy to see each other do well. Even with a bit of a power vacuum, I dont think that'll change. Bubba, Fowler, and Hunter Mahan made a music video together for chrissakes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PM2NocuEihw

Add to that Simpson, who is also very tight with those guys and Keegan Bradley, and thats a really fun team of guys who really enjoy being on a team together.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 08:16:54 AM »
Last two matches won by the Euros on Saturday night means I will probably watch the Ryder Cup instead of football today.    For the singles matches, it seems that most are player playing well vs. another player playing well, with the guys playing poorly matching up.    It is a huge hill to climb for the Euros on US soil, especially with Hanson and Kaymer hitting it sideways.     But it ain't over til its over. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2012, 05:15:58 PM »
Must be a Chicago thing.   

nyg

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2012, 05:18:14 PM »
Biggest choke job in golf history for US.  US golfers think their sh*t don't stink or something.

For you that don't follow golf, it would be like a 45-0 lead in football at halftime and you lose the game.

Captains picks of Furyk and Stricker backfired.  Stricker was 0 and 5. Should have went went with young studs Mahan and Fowler.

Americans lose 8 matches on holes 17 and 18 on final day.  Bad chips, putts etc.  Europe made some bomb putts, but most of the Americans made sh*t.  

Simpson shanks a shot on a par 3.
Bradley gets beat by McIlroy, who shows up for his tee time 8 minutes prior.
Snedeker gets beat by a 50 year old who hasn't played in a Ryder Cup in 13 years.
Furyck chokes on last two holes.
Stricker chokes on last two holes.  Terrible chip on 17 that cost them half point.  If he gets up and down, then Tiger has a chance to win whole thing.  Just brutal.
Justin Rose birdies last two holes with a bomb putt on 17.

Sorry to vent, but being a diehard golfer, it was just an unbelievable thing to see. Good for Europe, they played their hearts out, the US did not..

Their already calling it  "The Collapse at Chicago"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2012, 06:40:41 PM »
I, too, am a diehard golfer.   I saw the Euros playing for the spirit of Seve and the USA going out and trying to not lose.   DL3 should never have sat Mickelson/Bradley for the afternoon session yesterday.      However, today, what are you going to do.   It looked like the USA had a bad yardage into 18, as golfer after golfer went 15 yards to far.   It looked like they were aiming for the back bunker on 17.   Rose just stole it from Mickelson.   Kudos to him.   Stricker and Furyk are the two biggest disappointments, followed closely by Woods and Snedeker.   

🏀

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2012, 07:13:04 PM »
Stricker is an overrated assclown.

Sheriff

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2012, 07:15:03 PM »
Must be a Chicago thing.   

No, probably more like a Madison thing.  The hometown boy was a no-show.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2012, 07:18:28 PM »
Stricker isn't from Madison.

Sheriff

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2012, 07:24:06 PM »
Edgerton, Madison, whatever.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2012, 07:52:58 PM »
Stricker is an overrated assclown.

Sure bud.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2012, 08:10:22 PM »
I, too, am a diehard golfer.   I saw the Euros playing for the spirit of Seve and the USA going out and trying to not lose.   DL3 should never have sat Mickelson/Bradley for the afternoon session yesterday.      However, today, what are you going to do.   It looked like the USA had a bad yardage into 18, as golfer after golfer went 15 yards to far.   It looked like they were aiming for the back bunker on 17.   Rose just stole it from Mickelson.   Kudos to him.   Stricker and Furyk are the two biggest disappointments, followed closely by Woods and Snedeker.   

Even with all the downfalls of the other players, if Stricker gets up and down from where he was on 17, then it is in Tiger's hand.  It would have been a half for both teams (since they both parred 18) and then up to Tiger on 18, where he was one up going in. Tiger wins the Ryder Cup for US.  Stricker should have putted that ball down the hill, but made a bad chip past and missed the putt.

Yeah, resting Phil and Bradley really helped, they both lost their single matches.  But, Justin Rose hitting that bomb on 17 and then birding 18 was the real turning point, along with Furyk making bogy on both 17 and 18, and Stricker's chip shot on 17.

Talking golf heads are destroying DL3 already.  Was great drama though...... Next Ryder Cup, the only US player over 40 will be Phil, maybe......

tower912

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2012, 08:36:12 PM »
I am not strongly emotionally invested in the outcome, but I do appreciate great drama.    My dislike for Tiger Woods is so strong that the only time I have been passionately rooting for a US team in the Tiger era was 08, when he didn't play.    Even coming down the stretch today, when it appeared it would come down to his match, I found myslef ambivalent about rooting for him.   The first two days was the best of all worlds when everybody but Tiger (and Stricker) was tearing it up.   

🏀

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2012, 08:38:29 PM »
Sure bud.

Glad Davis Love selected him for his putting...  ::)

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2012, 08:41:42 PM »
The problem PTM is you called him an "overrated assclown."  Well he might be overrated, but he is one of the more popular members on tour, from what has been reported, and likely was selected because Tiger likes to play with him...but DL3 isn't really going to say that.  Don't know why you have to be so hostile about it.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2012, 08:49:50 PM »
I am not strongly emotionally invested in the outcome, but I do appreciate great drama.    My dislike for Tiger Woods is so strong that the only time I have been passionately rooting for a US team in the Tiger era was 08, when he didn't play.    Even coming down the stretch today, when it appeared it would come down to his match, I found myslef ambivalent about rooting for him.   The first two days was the best of all worlds when everybody but Tiger (and Stricker) was tearing it up.   

The ABT (Anybody But Tiger) thing has being going on for a awhile, but he is still one of, if not the best player on tour.  He was awesome with the exception of Friday's morning match, but got nothing from Stricker and Colsaerts went ballistic on his own ball (10 under).  Alot of the ABT would have changed if Stricker made that up and down on 17, because Tiger would have actually won the Ryder Cup for the US.  Coulda, woulda, shoulda.........

Me, I was sort of ashamed at Phil and his clapping/smiling to Justin Rose after birding 17 and 18 and losing a crucial match.  I would have been just pissed out of my mind.  You didn't see any other golfer doing that and probably won't ever again.  Then, golf is a gentleman's game for some.  

Lots of excuses and blame going around, along with second guessing, but it was something dramatic to watch.

feedback