collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2012 Ryder Cup  (Read 16683 times)

🏀

• All American
Re: 2012 Ryder Cup
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2012, 09:24:12 PM »
The problem PTM is you called him an "overrated assclown."  Well he might be overrated, but he is one of the more popular members on tour, from what has been reported, and likely was selected because Tiger likes to play with him...but DL3 isn't really going to say that.  Don't know why you have to be so hostile about it.

He is overrated. This state talks him up to legendary status.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2012, 09:38:47 PM »
He is overrated. This state talks him up to legendary status.

You're an assclown. Either you talk to people that don't know anything about golf or you're overexaggerating.

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2012, 09:49:58 PM »
I went today and it was an absolutely fantastic once in a lifetime experience. I didn't really care who won (I was a Ricky Fowler pick from waving frantically waving every European flag), but it was really great. Steve Stricker is not good at match play

tower912

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2012, 05:34:42 AM »
The ABT (Anybody But Tiger) thing has being going on for a awhile, but he is still one of, if not the best player on tour.  He was awesome with the exception of Friday's morning match, but got nothing from Stricker and Colsaerts went ballistic on his own ball (10 under).  Alot of the ABT would have changed if Stricker made that up and down on 17, because Tiger would have actually won the Ryder Cup for the US.  Coulda, woulda, shoulda.........

Me, I was sort of ashamed at Phil and his clapping/smiling to Justin Rose after birding 17 and 18 and losing a crucial match.  I would have been just pissed out of my mind.  You didn't see any other golfer doing that and probably won't ever again.  Then, golf is a gentleman's game for some.  

Lots of excuses and blame going around, along with second guessing, but it was something dramatic to watch.

I thought Phil's move was one of the coolest I have ever seen.   I, too, would have been PO's beyond words, which makes me really admire what he did.   Because if his chip goes and Rose's putt misses on 17, the entire outcome of the event would have been reversed.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2012, 08:51:52 AM »
You're an assclown. Either you talk to people that don't know anything about golf or you're overexaggerating.

Ha.

Let me know when he wins a major, or makes a top 5, it' only been over a decade for that.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2012, 11:10:28 AM »
nyg

Diehard golfer here as well and agree with your comments. I was pissed at Phil for the clapping as well to some degree. I think he assumed he/US team had things wrapped up and let guard down a bit. Stricker play on 17 was the ball game in my opinion. I like him but never thought of hi as a closer in prime time. John Deere is not the The Ryder Cup. As for Tiger, he provided a decade of golf never seen before and miss it. I loved Jordan for his will to win and same goes for Tiger. I did not think he played poorly after Friday morning, actually played well I thought.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2012, 12:02:43 PM »
Rose won his match with Mickelson with two great putts and a bit of a lucky bomb (that 50 footer on 17 was 10+ feet past if the hole didn't get in the way). I much preferred his good (maybe overly good) sportsmanship to Dufner making his opponent hole a one foot putt on 16, even if he looked a little goofy (Phil looks a little goofy often).

Overall, a great weekend for golf. The US had the better of the play but lost every close match. The sabermaticians out there (they don't believe in clutch or choke) will say we just lost a bunch of coin flips. Didn't look that way to me.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2012, 12:12:52 PM »
With all due respect to the Euros, who played magnificently and deserve full credit, the US collars got awfully tight. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2012, 12:24:52 PM »
USA play was consistent with what happened on tour this year with few players able to close the deal.   3 matches went to 17 with the USA one-up, but the Euros winning the last two holes to take the match.   The only one that wasn't an out and out choke was Mickelson.     In retrospect, perhaps Mahan/Van Pelt/Fowler would have been better choices that Stricker and Furyk.    But if Stricker isn't chosen, who plays with Tiger?    You guys want to talk about character.....how come nobody wants to play with Tiger but everybody wants to be Phil's partner?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Goose

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2012, 01:35:24 PM »
Tower
I'm not sure on your point of everyone wants to play with Phil and nobody with Tiger. As a rule Phil is considered bigger dick behind the scenes than Tiger. Tiger is aloof but I think fairly well regarding by other players.

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2012, 01:45:29 PM »
USA play was consistent with what happened on tour this year with few players able to close the deal.   3 matches went to 17 with the USA one-up, but the Euros winning the last two holes to take the match.   The only one that wasn't an out and out choke was Mickelson.     In retrospect, perhaps Mahan/Van Pelt/Fowler would have been better choices that Stricker and Furyk.    But if Stricker isn't chosen, who plays with Tiger?    You guys want to talk about character.....how come nobody wants to play with Tiger but everybody wants to be Phil's partner?

Did you see some of those shots that Tiger left Stricker...not sure I would want to play all my shots up against the spectator stands or right after Tiger's ball knocked some dude out...

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2012, 01:50:15 PM »
Did you see some of those shots that Tiger left Stricker...not sure I would want to play all my shots up against the spectator stands or right after Tiger's ball knocked some dude out...
I don't think that any one is blaming Stricker for not holing out Tiger's poor leaves.  However, when stricker was playing his own ball he played poorly.  And, now we find out that he's a Bears fan!  'Nuff said!  Wait a minute. The Bears play tonight.  Maybe that was Cutler out there choking disguised as Stricker!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 01:51:53 PM by ATWizJr »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2012, 01:51:57 PM »
Tower
I'm not sure on your point of everyone wants to play with Phil and nobody with Tiger. As a rule Phil is considered bigger dick behind the scenes than Tiger. Tiger is aloof but I think fairly well regarding by other players.
We obviously hear different stories.    I hear the ones about Phil leaving $1000 tips for locker room personnel and Tiger leaving $20.    I hear about Phil taking guys like DJohnson, Bradley,  under his wing for big money Tuesday/Wednesday games, and players being afraid to approach Tiger.   I have heard stories over the years about Phil taking over TWatson's rep as the biggest know-it-all on tour, too.    But other than players saying that Tiger is a regular guy in the clubhouse and feeling bad for him because of the neverending relentless scrutiny, I don't that many feel-good Tiger stories.     I think the Jordan comparison is apt.   A phenomenal, once in a lifetime talent, one that has never ceased to amaze me, but a personality that doesn't make it easy to root for.  

Goose

• All American
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2012, 02:05:27 PM »
Tower

We hear the same stories sounds like. Agree with your post completely. No doubt Phil shares the wealth and has big money games a few guys and Tiger is loner. I heard exact stories about the tipping locker room guys at Open in Jersey handful of years ago. What I have heard is the know it all side of Phil has turned a ton of guys off. I am a Tiger guy because of historical side of his play but Phil on surface looks more approachable.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2012, 02:27:29 PM »
Tower

We hear the same stories sounds like. Agree with your post completely. No doubt Phil shares the wealth and has big money games a few guys and Tiger is loner. I heard exact stories about the tipping locker room guys at Open in Jersey handful of years ago. What I have heard is the know it all side of Phil has turned a ton of guys off. I am a Tiger guy because of historical side of his play but Phil on surface looks more approachable.

It's not that "Phil on the surface looks more approachable". Phil flat out is more approachable. Tiger was adored by the public because of his singular talent and could get away with being aloof as long as he was that good. Not so much anymore. Phil was adored for both his game and his thoughtfullness towards his fans. He still is.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2012, 02:28:57 PM »
I leave you two images from Sunday night.   1.   Tiger walking utterly by himself back to the locker room.    2.   Phil, with Amy standing about 10 ft behind him, working the fence, signing autographs and emptying out his bag to the fans.  

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2012, 02:40:12 PM »
Golfers have to be the most bi-polar set of athletes known to humankind.  Is it that difficult to fathom Phil and Tiger both being great guys one day and complete jerkoffs the next?  They might simply be on opposite schedules.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2012, 02:41:45 PM »
Tower

Both of you guys are correct.  I am extremely close with the guys detailed to the PGA Tour's Security who see them every week.  Phil in front of the camera is beyond gracious and has done wonderful things for charity, etc.  Behind the camera and he is not well liked by his peers/media as you may think.  Tiger has the "entourage" status in front of the camera, but behind it, he is just one of the guys and a complete sports junkie.  Many other stories, but that would be the best summary. As in all human beings they have their faults, but they both also have a massive fan base with the players and their golfing fans.  For me, I like them both since they play "balls to the wall" golf and provide awesome golf entertainment, good or bad.

Now back to the Ryder Cup.  I took a deep breath since last night and here's my final changing events:

1) Poulter's five birdies in a row on Saturday afternoon match to win when Europe needed it bad.
2) Stricker not getting up and down on 17 with downhill chip.  Why didn't you putt that Steve?
3) Furyk bogeying last two holes to lose.
4) Justin Rose birding last two holes against Phil.  Wow...  (BTW, they say Rose is one of nicest guy on tour)
5) Sitting Bradley on Saturday afternoon.  Only played 12 holes in morning, he's 26 years old.  Phil wanted to sit, so pair Bradley with Tiger and bench Stricker)

The Captains picks of Furyk and Stricker will haunt DL3 forever.  He went with "experience", but these days the young studs have been playing junior USGA golf events since they were seven.  Dustin Johnson went 3-0 in his first Cup and Snedeker picked up one point at least.  Mahan and Fowler were on the last Ryder Cup team.  Second guessing is common place and will always occur, since it is part of sports.  Mahan, Fowler, Van Pelt would have been better picks and like I said previously, I believe the "experience" pick by a Captain won't occur again.  

Fore.......

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2012, 07:38:21 PM »
I leave you two images from Sunday night.   1.   Tiger walking utterly by himself back to the locker room.    2.   Phil, with Amy standing about 10 ft behind him, working the fence, signing autographs and emptying out his bag to the fans.  

Spoke with some friends about this situation. On Sunday, it appeared Europe came out with a claw, scratch, do-whatever-it-takes to win mentality - some small killer instinct/will-to-win like Jordan used to have.  I think Tiger has that, or at least portrays that. Not so much for Phil, or, again, at least it appears that way. In a team competition, especially a national competition that isn't every year, I want a team full of people who will kill someone to win and people who take a loss to heart.  I was blown away to see Phil cheering Rose on 16, 17. Fine that he did it on 18 - he can be a good sport after the match. But during the match, focus on winning and doing your job.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2012, 09:08:12 PM »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2012, 09:54:53 PM »
Which of you wonks were yelling vulgarities at this arm candy?

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/golf/ryder-cup-obscene-chanting-us-fans-face-probe-16218300.html

Europeans calling fans vulgar? That kettle is black, no?

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2012, 10:15:41 PM »
Europeans calling fans vulgar? That kettle is black, no?

I yelled twice at the Euro's....

1) Towards Poulter as he walked to green on 2 "Nice frosted tips jag"
2) After Rose duffed his chip on 14 "Nice duff Wanker!!!" to which right after this JMO turned towards my group and mouthed "What the F**** was that (shot)?" This was the highlight of the afternoon for me.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 08:34:06 AM by Chili »
But I like to throw handfuls...

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2012, 11:23:47 PM »
I yelled at twice at the Euro's....

1) Towards Poulter as he walked to green on 2 "Nice frosted tips jag"
2) After Rose duffed his chip on 14 "Nice duff Wanker!!!" to which right after this JMO turned towards my group and mouthed "What the F**** was that (shot)?" This was the highlight of the afternoon for me.

Poulter does look like a jag, but the dude is a grinder. He's not a great player, but in match play, he's one tough hombre.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2012, 11:44:03 PM »
That kettle is black, no?

You color blind?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2012, 11:55:19 PM »
Truly an awe-inspiring choke job. The U.S. performance down the stretch reminded me of the 8th inning of the Cubs-Marlins in '03. You could feel it happening, and you could see that the choking team couldn't prevent it from happening.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson