Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette fires Scott Monarch. Suspends HC Buzz Williams for one League game  (Read 86385 times)

real chili 83

• All American
Larry, we get that you feel that you need to play the heavy.  Yes, monarch should have been let go.  Beyond that, based on what's public, the rest is overkill, and you are grandstanding.

How would you have dealt with the crap your alma mater spewed with their football team's issues?   Just like the curent administration at ND?

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
I'll go with .. Buzz and LW are fine.  Buzz isn't crying about missing the Colgate or SE Louisiana game.  LW said, hey, we need to show the NCAA we're tough on crime, how about you're "suspended" a game?  Buzz says sure.

Bocephys

• All American
"By the way, Buzz Williams getting a suspension from his school b/c an assistant lied is the type of thing that makes men look at other jobs."
‏@GaryParrishCBS

Does anyone believe both Buzz and LW will be at MU 2 years from now? Or 1? OTOH, they did have a moment golfing together this summer, so I'm sure they are still BFFs.

I'm sure madtown and Lab will be here any minute to defend Larry.

Bocephys

• All American
I'll go with .. Buzz and LW are fine.  Buzz isn't crying about missing the Colgate or SE Louisiana game.  LW said, hey, we need to show the NCAA we're tough on crime, how about you're "suspended" a game?  Buzz says sure.

Pretty sure he's out a Big East game.

Rubie Q

• Starter
    • Anonymous Eagle
Larry better have his Top 5 list ready to go.

I think we're probably at the point where everybody -- Buzz, Larry, the BOT -- is ready for Buzz to move on. And it might be for the best for everyone involved.

madtownwarrior

• All American
well, I been here for a bit on this thread.  My thoughts - must be more to the story than a free tshirt, ride home and lying from Monarch.   The carefully worded PR from Buzz would make me think he's not here for the long haul if the right job comes open (not the suck crap job at SMU)...

GGGG

• All American

I think Buzz should have gotten more....but maybe that's just me.

Aughnanure

• All American
I think we're probably at the point where everybody -- Buzz, Larry, the BOT -- is ready for Buzz to move on. And it might be for the best for everyone involved.

Disagree. These are adults and they should be able to get over it. But I'm getting worried we will have to find a new coach soon. Larry can't f*** that hire up.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Aughnanure

• All American
I think Buzz should have gotten more....but maybe that's just me.

Is that based on knowing more about the issue? Or do we all know the same basic details?
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

GGGG

• All American
Is that based on knowing more about the issue? Or do we all know the same basic details?

That is based on the details we know....I know nothing more.

Benny B

• All American

This is the bandwagon I'm riding.  

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

real chili 83

• All American
Disagree. These are adults and they should be able to get over it. But I'm getting worried we will have to find a new coach soon. Larry can't f*** that hire up.

Oh yes he can.  

All he has shown is ability to assert his weight.  He has not shown his ability to lead.  Based on what is public so far, this is effed up.  

I maintain, Buzz should have been on point with HIS decision to terminate.  Anything less....it falls on LW's shoulders as poor leadership.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 10:41:58 PM by real chili 83 »

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Why would Buzz leave over this?  Does he expect his employer to willingly cover up NCAA violations?

Bocephys

• All American

That is based on the details we know....I know nothing more.

Are you assuming Buzz was part of the cover up? 

The Process

• All American
Maybe Buzz and Larry are fine, maybe they're not.  Maybe there's more to this than what we've been told, maybe there isn't.

Can't we just have a beer summit instead of jumping to conclusions, good/bad/whatever, just yet?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/xRxqY4wuTHw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/xRxqY4wuTHw</a>

Relax. Respect the Process.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
Gary Parrish‏@GaryParrishCBS

"How many other coaches with back-to-back Sweet Sixteens you think would get a suspension from his own school for this? Zero, I'd bet."

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
Oh yes he can.  

All he has shown is ability to assert his weight.  He has not shown his ability to lead.  Based on what is public so far, this is effed up.  

I maintain, Buzz should have been on point with HIS decision to terminate.  Anything less....it falls on LW's shoulders as poor leadership.

I thought the wording at the beginning of the ESPN article was somewhat telling.
"Marquette coach Buzz Williams announced the dismissal of assistant Scott Monarch on Friday,"

LW did not have to allow Buzz to make that announcement, especially when Buzz himself is facing a suspension.  So, I'm thinking that that was a smart move on LW's part to avoid having more suspicion fall upon Buzz. Class move.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

96warrior

• Team Captain
Gary Parrish‏@GaryParrishCBS

"How many other coaches with back-to-back Sweet Sixteens you think would get a suspension from his own school for this? Zero, I'd bet."

Sounds like Parrish was trying to stoke the fire against LW but in my opinion, it reiterates LW's point that MU operates at a higher standard.

real chili 83

• All American
Murs, I respectfully disagree.  This should have been Buzz's decision.  Period.  There is no other way to spin this.

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
Why would Buzz leave over this?  Does he expect his employer to willingly cover up NCAA violations?

Agree - it's not like there is the kind of animosity there was between al McGuire and his Jesuit bosses at MU when they would let him break his contract to take the bucks job, right?

Imagine the strands MUScoop would have had then on how much Al wanted out.
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

The Process

• All American
Sounds like Parrish was trying to stoke the fire against LW but in my opinion, it reiterates LW's point that MU operates at a higher standard.

Honestly, Parrish is almost as dumb as Skip Bayless.  I've lost what little respect I had for Parrish over the past couple years.

Murs, I respectfully disagree.  This should have been Buzz's decision.  Period.  There is no other way to spin this.

Is it clear that Buzz didn't have a spot at the table when this decision was made?  Am I missing something here...?

madtownwarrior

• All American
'“When I was allowed to review the report earlier this week

what's wrong with that statement?  allowed?

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American

I'm just worried that if LW chases Buzz away then hires his own nobody guy and he turns out to be a bad coach this team will be sent into dark ages.

real chili 83

• All American
Capt., the spin on this is that "Buzz Williams announces".  There is nothing stated that says that "Buzz decided".

I assume that the PR staff did not miss out on this important distinction.  If they did, and this truly was Buzz's decision, them I stand corrected.

The Process

• All American
Capt., the spin on this is that "Buzz Williams announces".  There is nothing stated that says that "Buzz decided".

I assume that the PR staff did not miss out on this important distinction.  If they did, and this truly was Buzz's decision, them I stand corrected.

And that's the missing piece here.  I don't know if we'll know the answer to that anytime soon, though.