[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette fires Scott Monarch. Suspends HC Buzz Williams for one League game  (Read 86402 times)

Knight Commission

• All American
I am done with Buzz. Monarch had to do s000t before and he is Buzz's guy. Next up?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 08:50:59 PM by Knight Commission »

TedBaxter

• All American
Don't worry, Bitch is on the case.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

4everwarriors

• All American
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
did you even read the article - minor violations but Monarch lied repeatedly about it...  

Buzz says...

When I was allowed to review the report earlier this week, I was deeply saddened to learn of an error in judgment of one of my assistants and closest friends,” Buzz Williams said in a statement. “I take personal responsibility for what happens in this program and realize we must be role models to both our team and the entire University. Our commitment has always been and will always be to operate this program at the highest level of integrity in the Marquette and Jesuit tradition.”

Buzz knew about this before "earlier this week."  A Scoop regular told me about a week ago that this was going to be the result of things.

Complete embarrassment.  Buzz is lucky it is only one game...very lucky IMO.

Hards Alumni

• All American
Bye bye.  I hate liars.

MUDPT

• All American

Buzz knew about this before "earlier this week."  A Scoop regular told me about a week ago that this was going to be the result of things.

Complete embarrassment.  Buzz is lucky it is only one game...very lucky IMO.

Completely right. Didn't we all know about this violation a month ago?  So Buzz just learned that Monarch was lying about it or did Buzz not know about the violation until now?  Either way he knew.

chapman

• All American
Suspended since mid-June.  Wainwright hired in mid-June.  Guessing that's how the now vacant assistant position gets filled.  

A strong measure for a t-shirt and a ride home, not so much for a t-shirt, a ride home, and a multitude of lies.  Look the other way rather than show strength to comply and it eventually becomes a t-shirt, a round-trip flight, free meals and lodging, and representation from a wannabe agent-then you're UConn and have too many problems to count.

Completely right. Didn't we all know about this violation a month ago?  So Buzz just learned that Monarch was lying about it or did Buzz not know about the violation until now?  Either way he knew.

Careful wording by Buzz, "when I was allowed to review the report earlier this week", not "when I became aware of the violation".  He didn't just wake up a few days ago and wonder where Monarch was the past two months when he had been suspended.

GGGG

• All American
Careful wording by Buzz, "when I was allowed to review the report earlier this week", not "when I became aware of the violation".  He didn't just wake up a few days ago and wonder where Monarch was the past two months when he had been suspended.

Good point.

murara1994

• Starter

I'm sure he knew about the investigation, but how would he know Monarch lied?  Wasn't that the point of the investigation?

Knight Commission

• All American
Would someone clarify. Were these the same "secondary" violations that were self-reported (and publicized) one month ago or different ones?

GGGG

• All American
Would someone clarify? Were these the same "secondary" violations that were self-reported (and publicized) one month ago or different ones?

These are the same ones.  And those reports were only a couple weeks ago.

MUDPT

• All American
Agree on the wording by Buzz.  I would assume that he talks to his assistant coaches every week and I would also assume that his assistants would share what information they were sharing with the "investigation".  I also assume that Buzz knows the whole story.

But I guess that's what I get for assuming.

The Lens

• All American
I started hearing Monarch was gone in the last 5-6 weeks.  Have heard many went to the mat for him, but to no avail.  If he did lie, he did himself no favors.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
I started hearing Monarch was gone in the last 5-6 weeks.  Have heard many went to the mat for him, but to no avail.  If he did lie, he did himself no favors.

No Buzz BBQ appearance by Monarch (suspension).  Wainwright hired right before for DBO or more (coaching bench). The lying is the mortal sin and a dumb ass move which called in the legal eagles. No choice considering.

karavotsos

• All American
I understand at some level that Monarch had to go because he allegedly lied to investigators, whoever they were.  However, I hope after all the initial reports come out incriminating him, someone does a proper article on all the good he did for kids.  The combination of Jae and MU obviously did a lot for both, and who knows what would have happened with Jae had Monarch not gotten him here.  

I don't know who else he recruited from Jucos, or otherwise, while at MU, or the details of what he did.  However, I'm guessing that the way he came up, he did it through hours in the gym and hard work, not giving freebies to kids to get the best recruits.

I hope all the good gets noted, rather than just this bs precipitated by arbitrary NCAA regs.

Bocephys

• All American
I understand at some level that Monarch had to go because he allegedly lied to investigators, whoever they were.  However, I hope after all the initial reports come out incriminating him, someone does a proper article on all the good he did for kids.  The combination of Jae and MU obviously did a lot for both, and who knows what would have happened with Jae had Monarch not gotten him here.  

I don't know who else he recruited from Jucos, or otherwise, while at MU, or the details of what he did.  However, I'm guessing that the way he came up, he did it through hours in the gym and hard work, not giving freebies to kids to get the best recruits.

I hope all the good gets noted, rather than just this bs precipitated by arbitrary NCAA regs.

Yea, it's all bs except for the fact that he knowingly broke the rules and then lied about it. But except for that...

karavotsos

• All American
Like I said, after it all comes out, I hope someone looks at the other scale and compares it to the one that you just set forth. 

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
#FireLarryWilliams

#NotreDameMole

#JustSayNoToHiroshima
SS Marquette

Bocephys

• All American
Like I said, after it all comes out, I hope someone looks at the other scale and compares it to the one that you just set forth. 

Feel free to enlighten us. I can only look at what's presented.

BCHoopster

• All American
I never like to see a person get fired, but is Scott Monarch an idiot?  Bruce Pearl got his head handed to him for a minor infraction, having a junior come to his house for
a barbecue, (kid was there for 20 minutes), lost a ton on money and got fired.  What can that coach been thinking?  Scott I am sure knows about BP lying.  This makes
no sense to loss you job over a ride and a few tees.  But to lie like Bruce, what was he thinking?  See ya. 

madtownwarrior

• All American
much more to read here:  http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8301365/marquette-golden-eagles-dismiss-assistant-coach-scott-monarch

including some LW quotes...

"Through the course of the investigation, it became clear, ultimately, to the independent investigator, he admitted the (dishonesty)," Larry Williams said.

Had Monarch admitted the violations right away, it's possible that he would have faced less severe punishment.

"Which makes this all the more troubling," Larry Williams said. "This is not something that should rise to this level of untruthfulness."

real chili 83

• All American
If Monarch lied, he goes.

What's odd about this is why wasn't Buzz in the loop?  Buzz hired him.  Buzz should be the one to let him go.  Pretty basic.  

This  does not smell right.  Clearly, something ks missing in this story.   Why wasn't Buzz on point with the decision to terminate?  Buzz is not stupid.  Do we haven place another "athletic board"?

LW, ever hear of servant leadership?

Hamostradamus

• Scholarship Player
"By the way, Buzz Williams getting a suspension from his school b/c an assistant lied is the type of thing that makes men look at other jobs."
‏@GaryParrishCBS

Does anyone believe both Buzz and LW will be at MU 2 years from now? Or 1? OTOH, they did have a moment golfing together this summer, so I'm sure they are still BFFs.
"ESPN -- is the one who told us what to do." - Boston College athletic director Gene DeFilippo

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Monarch probably lied thinking he was protecting Buzz.

If this about giving a t-shirt and ride home, it is amazing that they even found out about it.  Who saw this and reported it?  .... it's all Bo's fault!!

Aughnanure

• All American
Larry better have his Top 5 list ready to go.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

feedback