[Today at 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by barfolomew
[Today at 02:08:20 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 01:48:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scoop Golf Thread  (Read 24346 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Scoop Golf Thread
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2012, 08:52:03 PM »
I average 22 putts/round.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2012, 08:56:16 PM »
Going to Whistling Straights with my girlfriends dad, this should be interesting :(

He's won tournaments with his late father, and wants to take me there.  Needless to say I don't play as much as him, and i'm in fear of embarrassing myself.  i can hold my own on an average course,(high 70's low 80's) but when the man shells out $350 per player plus $160 for a manditory caddy, I feel i'm in over my head here.

Advice?

How deep are you in with the chick?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 09:00:12 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2012, 09:01:21 PM »
F*ckin once made a bird at Congo River.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

🏀

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2012, 09:09:47 PM »
F*ckin once made a bird at Congo River.

RIP, damn Honda dealership.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2012, 09:38:39 PM »

How deep are you in with the chick?

Balls deep.

JD

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2012, 09:07:15 AM »
Balls deep.

^What he said!

Thanks for the advice gentleman, it's greatly appreciated!
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2012, 09:50:22 AM »

for those of us who really are hackers, what does it mean to say that a club is "forgiving"?  Does it differ from irons to drivers/woods?  Thanks.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2012, 10:01:18 AM »
for those of us who really are hackers, what does it mean to say that a club is "forgiving"?  Does it differ from irons to drivers/woods?  Thanks.

Just means you have room for error.  With the larger drivers, there is a bigger face with more surface area so there is more area to make solid contact and hit a good shot.  Thats part of the bigger head as well, to balance it all out.  Irons, you see it a bit, as cavity/oversized irons are more forgiving that the old blade irons.  But irons are generally easier to hit that a wood, so its not as severe.

I don't play enough to know what I am handicap wise.  I was an 8-9 back in HS when I played alot (though still not near enough to play on a HS team that contended for state championships every year), but Ive added probably 40 yds to my drives and 20-25 yds to my irons since then, so my game is alot different now as a result.  If I play more, get my short game back to where it used to be, I could get probably get really good again.

I echo the compliments of Sentry World, what an unexpectedly awesome course.  Love Blackwolf, especially the River course.  My favorite course around Milwaukee is probably Milwaukee CC, just a gorgeous setting and a fun course to play (though I realize its not super easy to play).  My dad loves Washington County out in Hartford, but that course always pisses me off.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2012, 10:08:41 AM »

And to take it one step further, forgiving also means that the clubs make it easier to get the ball airborne.    Clubmakes do this by strategically placing weight in the head of the club, usually lower.    If you are a player who chronically slices, you can buy clubs with increased offset (as you look down the at the club, it looks like the face of the club is set back and not flush with the shaft) and by placing more weight toward the heel (helps the face rotate faster to a square or closed position).    Also, particularly with graphite shafts, manufacturers can set the kick point so that it creates a higher or lower launch.       If you are new to the game and older, i.e. don't swing out of your shoes, a good rule of thumb is to buy clubs with higher lofts and more whippy shafts.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2012, 10:11:18 AM »
Just means you have room for error.  With the larger drivers, there is a bigger face with more surface area so there is more area to make solid contact and hit a good shot.  Thats part of the bigger head as well, to balance it all out.  Irons, you see it a bit, as cavity/oversized irons are more forgiving that the old blade irons.  But irons are generally easier to hit that a wood, so its not as severe.

I don't play enough to know what I am handicap wise.  I was an 8-9 back in HS when I played alot (though still not near enough to play on a HS team that contended for state championships every year), but Ive added probably 40 yds to my drives and 20-25 yds to my irons since then, so my game is alot different now as a result.  If I play more, get my short game back to where it used to be, I could get probably get really good again.

I echo the compliments of Sentry World, what an unexpectedly awesome course.  Love Blackwolf, especially the River course.  My favorite course around Milwaukee is probably Milwaukee CC, just a gorgeous setting and a fun course to play (though I realize its not super easy to play).  My dad loves Washington County out in Hartford, but that course always pisses me off.

[
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 04:31:17 PM by ATWizJr »

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2012, 10:52:36 AM »
Yes - played it twice - while the course was not in the shape they had it for the amateurs, everybody in the group shot about 10 strokes more than their normal scores (with both groups, different people eacg group)    Many long, long holes, fescue everywhere, tough greens.   Beautiful course, terrain is amazing in how the holes are laid out - want to play again (need more corporate gigs though as it is pretty $$$).

Was Erin Hills as tough in person as it looked on TV during the Amateur?

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2012, 10:53:28 AM »
12 or so handicap, played 30+ rounds last year (way less this year due to having a baby).  I moved to the Twin Cities last year and there are a ton of great, affordable courses.  I play TaylorMade irons and woods.

Been to a handful of well known courses and Whistling Straits is easily my favorite.  No matter how you play, enjoy the experience and the views.  It is truly breathtaking.  I played Harbour Town last fall and aside from 2-3 scenic holes didn't think too much of it.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2012, 11:10:29 AM »
Yes - played it twice - while the course was not in the shape they had it for the amateurs, everybody in the group shot about 10 strokes more than their normal scores (with both groups, different people eacg group)    Many long, long holes, fescue everywhere, tough greens.   Beautiful course, terrain is amazing in how the holes are laid out - want to play again (need more corporate gigs though as it is pretty $$$).

On TV, it looked like there were holes laid out differently than anything I had ever seen.   It looked like fun. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

nyg

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2012, 11:19:45 AM »
For you Milwaukee scoopers, the Women's US Open is being held at Blackwolf Run, 7/5-8/12.

Interesting to watch them play, because their game from 130 yards in is tremendous. 

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2012, 11:26:15 AM »
For you Milwaukee scoopers, the Women's US Open is being held at Blackwolf Run, 7/5-8/12.

Interesting to watch them play, because their game from 130 yards in is tremendous. 

arethose dates correct? that's like 6 weeks long

nyg

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2012, 11:28:21 AM »

July 5th thru July 8th.............2012

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2012, 11:31:15 AM »

Have you seen how slow a 4some of broads can play?

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2012, 02:06:28 PM »
July 5th thru July 8th.............2012

gotcha that makes sense to me now, I didn't think they'd take over the course from July 5th thru August 12th

🏀

• All American
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2012, 02:12:58 PM »
I play, but am pretty terrible. Shoot with Adams Hybrid Irons, a Taylor Made R7 Driver which I need to replace ASAP, and an Odyssey Tri-Ball SRT putter which is the crap.

Usually play Kenosha County's Brightondale, Rivermoor or out in Lake Geneva. Hawk's View in Lake Geneva is a highly underrated course and is worth every dollar.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2012, 04:10:01 PM »
Hawks View is very under-rated - nice course... especially when they run specials...

I play, but am pretty terrible. Shoot with Adams Hybrid Irons, a Taylor Made R7 Driver which I need to replace ASAP, and an Odyssey Tri-Ball SRT putter which is the crap.

Usually play Kenosha County's Brightondale, Rivermoor or out in Lake Geneva. Hawk's View in Lake Geneva is a highly underrated course and is worth every dollar.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2012, 04:33:03 PM »
Will forgiving clubs stop me from topping the ball?  My biggest problem.  Embarrassing.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2012, 04:39:20 PM »
Probably not. 

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2012, 04:44:13 PM »
Then I might as well top the ball with my old clubs instead of spending for new ones?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2012, 05:03:04 PM »
Or take the money you would have spent on new clubs and get a couple of lessons.   The most important thing any golfer, new or old, good or bad, can get is a review of the fundamentals of stance, grip, etc.   I cannot count the number of times that, during a round with somebody who only golfs once or twice a year, a simple tip about grip, where to play the ball in the stance, tempo,  finding a mental picture that makes sense to them, etc., makes a difference and they suddenly start hitting decent shots after being unable to get the ball in the air for the first few holes. 

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2012, 05:15:42 PM »

Good advice.  Thanks.

feedback