[Today at 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by barfolomew
[Today at 02:08:20 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 01:48:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scoop Golf Thread  (Read 24344 times)

tower912

• All American
Scoop Golf Thread
« on: June 06, 2012, 02:00:05 PM »
We've established we have hardcore fishermen.   Are there any other hardcore golfers out there?    Handicaps, cool courses played, equipment, low scores?    I confess to not caring a bit about fishing but being a golf nut.   Upper 70's shooter.    Mostly Ping equipment.  
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Blackhat

• All American
Re: Scoop Golf Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 02:11:24 PM »
Not a very good golfer presently, don't have the time with school. Somehow shot a 42 drunk on the back nine on Memorial weekend though.     Nike Clubs.   Just bought a Callaway Razr Hawk 10.5 driver, though I may want to sell it soon.   

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 02:16:21 PM »
Slowly improving... usually in the 85-92 range, depending on the day. If I could keep my driver in the fairway, I'd score a lot better.

Old ass clubs, but can't afford to get new ones.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 02:18:48 PM »
Not a very good golfer presently, don't have the time with school. Somehow shot a 42 drunk on the back nine on Memorial weekend though.     Nike Clubs.   Just bought a Callaway Razr Hawk 10.5 driver, though I may want to sell it soon.   

Why the dislike on the Callaway? I thought about giving it a test drive to see if i wanted to upgrade from my old Taylor Made.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 02:23:49 PM »
I hit the Razr Hawk last summer before getting the Ping G15.   For me, it didn't have the distance and carry.   I bought the Ping because for me it was idiot proof.  Put a decent swing on it and watch it go.   I felt like I had to be perfect with the Callaway.   My next purchase will probably by a G20 fairway wood.   My current fairway wood is like a wife with PMS.   If I do everything perfect, I can hit a decent shot.   If anything is less than perfect, there is absolutely no forgiveness.     I have hit the G20 a couple of times and it is forgiving like a new girlfriend with low self esteem. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 02:32:26 PM »
There's actually nothing wrong with it, used it twice.  Smooth, has the traditional head which I like, not the huge bulky heads.  Distance was a concern so I went with a 9.5 actually, to increase distance but I don't have the ball striking to have a non forgiving club.

Plus I'm starting my new job soon and am moving so I'm cash strapped until I start in August.  Not sure if I want to keep it.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 02:36:14 PM »
We've established we have hardcore fishermen.   Are there any other hardcore golfers out there?    Handicaps, cool courses played, equipment, low scores?    I confess to not caring a bit about fishing but being a golf nut.   Upper 70's shooter.    Mostly Ping equipment.  
  Yeah, me too. If it gets any warmer I stay home and drink.

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 03:26:16 PM »
I really enjoy golf, but don't play often enough to actually get my score down, so I generally shoot high 90s- low 100s.

We have a group of 12 guys (mostly Marquette grads) that play a 2 day handicapped mini-tournament at Sentry World in the fall. A day of golf, followed by a night of heavy drinking, followed by another day of golfing makes for a great weekend.

Some of the courses I've really enjoyed:
The Bull - Sheboygan, WI - the 50-50 deal is awesome w/ a free unrestricted round
Sentry World - Steven's Point, WI
Threetops - Gaylord, MI - challenging Par 3 course designed by Rick Smith
Redtail - Crystal Lake, IL

reinko

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 03:43:15 PM »
Old Titleist DCI irons, and Vokey wedges that I have trusted forever, along with an old school Cleavland Launcher that I seem to be able to hit further than anything new that comes out.  Scotty Cameron TeI3 putter, 33".

Live out in the Boston area, where the public golf is crape, but the wife is from Bethpage, NY so I sneak the clubs into the whip every time visit the in laws to go play the Black or the Red.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 03:47:47 PM »
Mid-80's on a good day... A mix of Adams Driver, Exotics Woods / Hybrids, Callaway Irons, Cleveland Wedges.   Have not played too many "cool" course - Erin Hills, University Ridge (my feet burned on the grass), Sentry,  various vacation courses in Mexico, Hilton Head, Trent Jones in AL, Floria, etc...

« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 04:49:01 PM by madtownwarrior »

nyg

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 03:59:56 PM »
4 handicap.  Love to play competitive golf, but also like to play casual games with buddies.

New G-20 driver, Taylormade RZB 3 and 5 woods, Ping G-20 irons (just replaced my Callaway X's), three Vokey wedges, Cameron Del Mar putter, Titliest Pro V1 balls. 

Great thing about golf is that with handicaps (without sandbagging), the playing field is level for all sorts of games. I usually don't get any strokes, but don't mind giving them up when we play games. 

My favorite course is Oakmont Country Club, where I play once a year in August, just an historical layout with greens that are UNREAL.  Then the Mountain Course at LaQuinta, just an awesome track.  I have played Pebble, Bethpage Black, Pinehurst #2, Seminole, Torrey Pines, and other major places, but those two stick out, especially Oakmont.   

Goose

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2012, 04:16:51 PM »
Former avid and competitive golfer. Cannot wait until the time and money to play everyday. The Straits is my favorite local course but prefer old courses. Big Donald Ross fan.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2012, 04:46:58 PM »
Former avid and competitive golfer. Cannot wait until the time and money to play everyday. The Straits is my favorite local course but prefer old courses. Big Donald Ross fan.

Goose - Avid & competitor golfer - maybe I should cut you some slack then....

JD

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2012, 04:56:16 PM »
Going to Whistling Straights with my girlfriends dad, this should be interesting :(

He's won tournaments with his late father, and wants to take me there.  Needless to say I don't play as much as him, and i'm in fear of embarrassing myself.  i can hold my own on an average course,(high 70's low 80's) but when the man shells out $350 per player plus $160 for a manditory caddy, I feel i'm in over my head here.

Advice?
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

Goose

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2012, 05:12:28 PM »
Straits is off the charts hard if you do notlay often. I always play it as 18 different holes for score because too many big number holes out there. You will love it and just focus on your good holes.

Madtown
No slack needed.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2012, 05:14:53 PM »
Going to Whistling Straights with my girlfriends dad, this should be interesting :(

He's won tournaments with his late father, and wants to take me there.  Needless to say I don't play as much as him, and i'm in fear of embarrassing myself.  i can hold my own on an average course,(high 70's low 80's) but when the man shells out $350 per player plus $160 for a manditory caddy, I feel i'm in over my head here.

Advice?

1) You shoot low 80's, you are more than capable.  FYI, average handicap of golfers in US is 19.

2) Play the tees according to your handicap, if he wants to play the tips, let him do it, you play the middle tees.  Whistling Straits is just a beast and if he plays the tips, good for him.  I bet he doesn't break 85 from tips, even for a stratch golfer.

3) Listen to your caddie.

4) You are not over your head and never be embarrassed.  Be pleased you have the opportunity to play the course and got invited.  Enjoy the day, surroundings, the fact the PGA was played there and enjoy.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2012, 05:17:07 PM »
Played for my HS team and probably could have played in college somewhere.  Used to be a single digit handicap.  Unfortunately, a baby and a pretty demanding job mean that I don't get out and play more than 3-4 times per year anymore.

Shot an 83 on the General at Eagle Ridge in Galena a couple years ago, best round on a good course in a while.  Can shoot in the low 80s on just about any random dogtrack course on any given day...but could also just as easily shoot a 95.

Still play my set of original King Cobra Oversize irons I got in 1995.  Cleveland wedges, Ping Sedona i putter, King Cobra 480 SZ driver.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2012, 06:18:03 PM »

Advice?

Don't knock up your gf before your round.  He won't want to take you.

I'm about a 12, Callaway X-20 irons, Taylormade Burner Driver, 4 wedges.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2012, 06:58:19 PM »
Ping G15 Driver, Tour Exotics 3 wood, Callaway Heavenwood Hybrids, Ping i10 irons.  Nicest course I've played is probably  Arcadia Bluffs, which is almost straight across the lake from Whistling Straits, 78 from the tips.  October and they were boasting about the greens rolling at 13 on the stimp.   I've shot a couple of 66's on a local 6000 yard goat track.   Lowest on a tougher course is a 68.    76 on The Bear at Grand Traverse resort.   I've played lots of the northern Michigan resort courses.   Treetops is nice, Threetops is a hoot, but for pure golf challenge, I recommend Garland.   It gets less hype because it is truly in the middle of nowhere with nothing around it, but if you want to just sit out in the middle of the northwoods and do nothing but golf and enjoy nature, it is tough to beat.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2012, 07:18:36 PM »
I am around a 12 handicap.  Don't get out as much as I want even though the Univ. of Minnesota course is 2 blocks from my house.  I still use my clubs I bought in 1989....Ricque handmade in Livonia, Michigan.  I always think about what I could shoot with more "modern" clubs.

Spring Hill CC in Wayzata, MN.....good buddy is the Executive Chef there and get to play free every Monday.

Lake Michigan Hills North of Benton Harbor, Mi is a very good course.

Point O' Woods CC just North of Benton Harbor, MI is an unbelievably good course.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2012, 07:32:39 PM »

Advice?
Dress nice, play fast, don't act like Spalding, don't drink more than he does, don't swear more than he does.    If you shoot 100, nobody is going to care.   Just don't piss and moan about it and don't read from 3 different angles putts for a 9.     He won't care what you shoot.   What he will care about is how you handle yourself.   

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2012, 07:35:27 PM »
What he will care about is how you handle yourself.   

Handling yourself to me also means do not slow them down......very good advice from Tower.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2012, 07:49:57 PM »
Dress nice, play fast, don't act like Spalding, don't drink more than he does, don't swear more than he does.    If you shoot 100, nobody is going to care.   Just don't piss and moan about it and don't read from 3 different angles putts for a 9.     He won't care what you shoot.   What he will care about is how you handle yourself.   

I want a hamburger, no wait, a cheeseburger.  I want a hot dog, I want a milk shake

tower912

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2012, 08:08:45 PM »
Mid-80's on a good day... A mix of Adams Driver, Exotics Woods / Hybrids, Callaway Irons, Cleveland Wedges.   Have not played too many "cool" course - Erin Hills, University Ridge (my feet burned on the grass), Sentry,  various vacation courses in Mexico, Hilton Head, Trent Jones in AL, Floria, etc...

Was Erin Hills as tough in person as it looked on TV during the Amateur?

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2012, 08:09:47 PM »
About a 12.  Twice as high as when I graduated MU in 2002.  :(

Favorite course is the General at Eagles Ridge, shot a 75 in my only round on the course. (Back when I was good.)

Ping I3s split set: 2-5 Osize, 6-pw blade
Cleveland Hi-bore XLS
Callaway Steelhead plus 4+
Cobra Trusty Rusty Wedges (51,55,59)
Scotty Cameron Catalina Two "Oilcan" that I took the finish off of with Coke.

Man, just typing all that stuff makes me realize how old my clubs are.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt