Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

What Is Your Opinion About "Hiroshima" (as it pertains to this board)?

Serious concern
7 (3.9%)
Moderate concern
39 (21.7%)
Something from the "tin foil hat" crowd
102 (56.7%)
Never heard of it
9 (5%)
Heard of it but not sure what it means
23 (12.8%)

Total Members Voted: 178

Author Topic: Hiroshima Poll  (Read 17686 times)

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Re: Hiroshima Poll
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2012, 05:42:30 PM »
I propose "Hiroshima" should be replaced - in the MUScoop filter - with "bacon."

'Cuz who doesn't love bacon?
SS Marquette

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2012, 06:56:59 PM »
I propose "Hiroshima" should be replaced - in the MUScoop filter - with "bacon."

Damn, why didn't we think of that. 

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2012, 06:58:30 PM »
I'll take it one level deeper and say that most of the "sources" being cited on Scoop are bumpkins.

Most of us have friends who work for MU and/or in & around the athletic dept., but the two guys I know qualify everything with something along the lines of "this is what I'm hearing but can't confirm."  And yes, just like everyone else, I assume that my guys are in or should be in a position to know, but evidently, I've got crappy friends because they really don't know the whole story.

This is a serious question, because I have no idea...how many people work in the athletic department/for MU that would be in a position to really know about the stuff that's been flying around here for the last 6-8 weeks?  5?  10?  20?  

It seems to me (again, without any real knowledge) a numerical impossibility that all the posters who claim "sources" inside the department would really have any that are in a position to know the real story, unless said posters know the same people.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2012, 08:19:15 PM »
Ooh ooh can I be next week.   Me and the fez cat.

Just you and your wet, hairy, cat?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2012, 08:23:48 PM »
You want "Hiroshima"? The Hornets won the NBA Lottery. Like Simmons tweeted, when did the NBA become the WWE?

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2012, 08:58:51 PM »
You want "Hiroshima"? The Hornets won the NBA Lottery. Like Simmons tweeted, when did the NBA become the WWE?

He had a conspiracy theory for about 6 different teams, so let's not get too crazy here.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2012, 09:17:15 PM »
+1

Also anyone that mentions SLU.

Or Notre Dame, for that matter ;D

ND sucks.  Did I mention, ND sucks?

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2012, 09:33:25 PM »
marquette is bacon

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2012, 09:39:35 PM »
Should we start adding all of the auto corrects to the wiki?  I'd read that.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2012, 10:19:21 PM »
BennyB
So what do your "friends" tell you that cannot be confirmed? I would think if enough people said the same thing to me I would probably believe it be be highly likely to be true. Just like if ten posters on here all said they heard Looney was a lock for MU I would take it as 95% possibility. Are your friends sharing good news or bad news?

Good or bad?  That depends on where you fall on the Kentucky (win at all costs)-BYU (integrity first) spectrum.  My take --- I really don't know because the same bits of information - some which have been tossed around these parts - are seemingly being interpreted and spun quite differently depending on who the messenger is.  There's a lot of smoke out there, but apparently, nobody knows whether it's coming from a BBQ, a tire fire, a warrior on a hilltop, or the fog that rises every morning this time of year.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #60 on: May 31, 2012, 09:20:39 AM »
Benny,
Thanks for update. Sounds like you are not concerned and think we will remain on task to keep improving the program. Respect your take and hope your sources/you have the right take on situation. FYI--I lean more UK way than BYU, but do understand the lines not to be crossed.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #61 on: May 31, 2012, 09:38:57 AM »

Pigs.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #62 on: May 31, 2012, 09:45:31 AM »
Pigs.

Pigs are omnivores and they definitely eat other pigs.  They'd love bacon.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #63 on: May 31, 2012, 09:49:08 AM »
Benny,
I lean more UK way than BYU, but do understand the lines not to be crossed.

This is actually the root of the entire "debate".

Everybody has their own line on how MU should act as a program, and when we don't agree, we shake our fist at each other and post pictures of cats in tinfoil hats (which are hilarious btw).

My guess is that each BOT member has their own "line" as well, and they probably have similar conversations from time to time (hopefully with tinfoil cats).

MU doesn't want to be SLU, but they don't want to be Memphis/UNLV/Miami Football. You don't want to overreact to some small stuff and handcuff your own program, but you also want to nip things in the bud to prevent future issues.

It's more of an art than a science, not unlike parenting, staff management or even coaching. When to push, when to pull back.  

The people involved in MU decisions appear to be well placed and qualified, so I have some faith that they know what is best and will manage accordingly.*

*my faith is slightly tempered by the nickname fiasco. Dear Lord that was stupid, but nevertheless, there are some smart people who have done a lot of good things over the past 15 years, and some good new blood as well.

LON

• All American
« Reply #64 on: May 31, 2012, 09:54:32 AM »

Yep.  Just ask this guy:

"White Cocksucka... YOU! SWIDGEN!"

Goose

• All American
« Reply #65 on: May 31, 2012, 10:02:00 AM »
You are exactly correct. It comes down to does Fr. P think Buzz is closer to UNLV line of thinking or not. If they feel taking away some firepower from Buzz it is going to affect the program. If they feel everything is fine...no problems. It basically comes down to Fr. P's opinion of Buzz and how he runs the program. I fully understand everyone has different lines in the sand and I hope ours does not go backwards.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #66 on: May 31, 2012, 10:11:36 AM »
You are exactly correct. It comes down to does Fr. P think Buzz is closer to UNLV line of thinking or not. If they feel taking away some firepower from Buzz it is going to affect the program. If they feel everything is fine...no problems. It basically comes down to Fr. P's opinion of Buzz and how he runs the program. I fully understand everyone has different lines in the sand and I hope ours does not go backwards.

Not to nitpick, but I don't know if it's a Pilarz v Buzz issue. I think its more the MU upper management (BOT, Pres., AD, larger donors) evaluating where they are at, where they are headed, and where they want to be as a University and as an athletic department.

Buzz is certainly a part of that equation, but I think picking him and Pilarz out specifically is too myopic. This isn't a GM vs Head Coach type of thing. MU is a far bigger organization than any pro-sports team. A lot of layers, opinions and concerned parties that need to be considered.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #67 on: May 31, 2012, 10:22:58 AM »
It is nitpicking if you believe all parties are involved and not nitpicking if you think Fr. P has own beliefs. I am not sure BOT and Fr. P have same beliefs and that is the problem. It is not uncommon for new Presidents to want new people and often BOD or BOT allow freedom within reason. IMO it comes down to Fr. P and not BOT. The BOT hired Buzz had seen body of work for four years and cannot see any reason why they would change a thing.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2012, 10:46:11 AM »
It is nitpicking if you believe all parties are involved and not nitpicking if you think Fr. P has own beliefs. I am not sure BOT and Fr. P have same beliefs and that is the problem. It is not uncommon for new Presidents to want new people and often BOD or BOT allow freedom within reason. IMO it comes down to Fr. P and not BOT. The BOT hired Buzz had seen body of work for four years and cannot see any reason why they would change a thing.

Doesn't the BOT have a say in the new president as well, or am I crazy?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #69 on: May 31, 2012, 10:54:47 AM »
I was not worried about becoming St. Louis. My biggest worry was that Mayo would not be back. Losing him would not have doomed the program, but it would of been Hiroshima to me. What I worried about is will Mayo be here in September, will the Big East implode this summer and will Burton and Wilson actually sign. Hiroshima for this season ends on the November signing date. Then it will time to start worrying about next year's Hiroshima. Will Buzz leave, will the Big East implode, etc.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #70 on: May 31, 2012, 11:37:09 AM »
This is actually the root of the entire "debate".

Everybody has their own line on how MU should act as a program, and when we don't agree, we shake our fist at each other and post pictures of cats in tinfoil hats (which are hilarious btw).

My guess is that each BOT member has their own "line" as well, and they probably have similar conversations from time to time (hopefully with tinfoil cats).

MU doesn't want to be SLU, but they don't want to be Memphis/UNLV/Miami Football. You don't want to overreact to some small stuff and handcuff your own program, but you also want to nip things in the bud to prevent future issues.

It's more of an art than a science, not unlike parenting, staff management or even coaching. When to push, when to pull back.  

The people involved in MU decisions appear to be well placed and qualified, so I have some faith that they know what is best and will manage accordingly.*

*my faith is slightly tempered by the nickname fiasco. Dear Lord that was stupid, but nevertheless, there are some smart people who have done a lot of good things over the past 15 years, and some good new blood as well.

Very well stated.  The one point in all of this Hiroshima talk and status of "things" that cannot be denied are the comments Larry Williams made to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel about Buzz.  They were flat out stupid, dumb, and ill conceived.  There is no speculation in any of that - and it illustrated bad judgement - therefore it isn't a complete stretch for people here to hypothesize that other bad judgement/decisions could be made with LW's input.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #71 on: May 31, 2012, 11:55:00 AM »
Very well stated.  The one point in all of this Hiroshima talk and status of "things" that cannot be denied are the comments Larry Williams made to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel about Buzz.  They were flat out stupid, dumb, and ill conceived.  There is no speculation in any of that - and it illustrated bad judgement - therefore it isn't a complete stretch for people here to hypothesize that other bad judgement/decisions could be made with LW's input.

Plus, he's a domer so everybody was wary of him to begin with.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #72 on: May 31, 2012, 12:11:19 PM »

I'm down, both with the idea, and bacon. 

Can we also autocorrect "sources" with "bozo"?  As in "A BOZO who I really trust told me that multiple players were going to transfer, because of new, absurdly high academic standards being ex post facto and retroactively applied."

How can you not laugh, or alternatively, be terrified?  I think that will satisfy both camps.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #73 on: May 31, 2012, 12:11:54 PM »

“(Lisa) “I’m going to become a vegetarian” (Homer) “Does that mean you’re not going to eat any pork?” “Yes” “Bacon?” “Yes Dad” Ham?” “Dad all those meats come from the same animal” “Right Lisa, some wonderful, magical animal!”"

“Porkchops and bacon, my two favorite animals.”

“When you’re in my house you shall do as I do and believe who I believe in. So Bart butter your bacon.”

“Mmmm. Move over, eggs. Bacon just got a new best friend – fudge.”

Homer: I’ll have the smiley face breakfast special. Uhh, but could you add a bacon nose? Plus bacon hair, bacon mustache, five o’clock shadow made of bacon bits and a bacon body.
Waitress: How about I just shove a pig down your throat?
(Homer looks excited)
Waitress: I was kidding.
Homer: Fine, but the bacon man lives in a bacon house!
Waitress: No he doesn’t!

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #74 on: May 31, 2012, 12:18:11 PM »

That makes no sense.
It's like pointing out the bad judgments that went into the signings of Brett Roseboro and Aaron Durley, and using it as evidence that Buzz Williams is a poor judge of talent and his every motive and every action must now be questioned. Or Buzz's blow up with MacIlvaine.
After all, the man has shown he's capable of making stupid, dumb and ill conceived decisions.

Of course, it would be foolish to make such claims. Just as it would be foolish to make such claims about LW because you didn't like a quote he gave a newspaper.