[June 16, 2024, 06:05:09 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 16, 2024, 02:42:15 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by We R Final Four
[June 16, 2024, 11:50:43 AM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[June 15, 2024, 09:14:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette vs Ohio State...on a naval ship?  (Read 40248 times)

lab_warrior

• All American
Marquette vs. Hurricane AL??  

or

A Marquette team of 15 mini-Wades vs. a hurricane?

Benny B

• All American
When was the last time Marquette had a non-conference game of this magnitude scheduled? A perennial top-25 team in what will likely be the most-watched game of the first week of the season? I'm not talking about tournaments, like Duke in Maui, but when we knew 100% we'd be playing a team like this. Absolutely HUGE get for Marquette. I cannot praise the guys behind the scheduling enough for this one.

Never.  This one will be the only non-con, non-tourney game in the legendary column... at least until there are a dozen carrier games each year or one featuring MD-Eastern Shore vs. Centenary.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Marquette vs Ohio State...on a naval ship?
« Reply #77 on: May 25, 2012, 04:54:58 PM »
Boats go underwater.  Ships carry airplanes (and basketball courts).

(Just in case you run into any sailors in Charleston)

So my dad's Malibu Skier is a ship? Sweet...have to take the ship out next time I get down to Florida ;)
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
I wonder if the JS will send Enlund to cover the game?  May be too expensive and not local enough.

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #79 on: May 25, 2012, 05:21:52 PM »
Wouldn't you need to be cleared by the CIA/DoD/etc. to go on board a commissioned vessel?  Granted, it's probably not hard to obtain "guest/visitor" clearance, but the Navy is probably going to want to have a list of attendees in advance just so they don't see Hakmed and a bunch of Chechnyan rebels showing up.
28 years in the Navy, just retired, I would've loved to have been a part of this. They should play on the USS Bush. Newest carrier and commanded by an alum.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #80 on: May 25, 2012, 05:46:38 PM »
Count me in as one who favors playin' on the Bush.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #81 on: May 25, 2012, 05:56:47 PM »
Count me in as one who favors playin' on the Bush.

Grandstaff is ready to board too

chapman

• All American
« Reply #82 on: May 25, 2012, 06:25:12 PM »
Wouldn't you need to be cleared by the CIA/DoD/etc. to go on board a commissioned vessel?  Granted, it's probably not hard to obtain "guest/visitor" clearance, but the Navy is probably going to want to have a list of attendees in advance just so they don't see Hakmed and a bunch of Chechnyan rebels showing up.

The USS Yorktown is decommissioned.  It's actually a national historical landmark.  Not sure tickets will be restricted as the UNC/MSU game, but there will be half as many fans (4,000), so if they're available they will be very expensive.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #83 on: May 25, 2012, 07:13:52 PM »
We should play in long tan cargo pants with boots. No shirts. Like the Top Gun volleyball game. Chicos has relatives who'd tune in to see it.

One of the greatest
cinematic scenes of all time.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #84 on: May 25, 2012, 07:17:51 PM »
I see Maverick and Goose I may have to show em up and unveil the gun show.

Canadian Dimes

• All American
Is SLU playing any Final Four teams on any aircraft carriers?
Lenny?   Goose??

4everwarriors

• All American
Now where can we find a flat top on Lake Michigan to practice on?

Probably rustle up an old tugboat and launch it down the Milwaukee River.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Blackhat

• All American
If we're getting jobbed by the refs I fully expect and demand one of our guys punts the ball off the ship.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #88 on: May 25, 2012, 08:03:31 PM »
The USS Yorktown is decommissioned.  It's actually a national historical landmark.  Not sure tickets will be restricted as the UNC/MSU game, but there will be half as many fans (4,000), so if they're available they will be very expensive.

Very true... at the time of my post, they hadn't announced it was the Yorktown, but still going to be a difficult ticket nonetheless.

So my dad's Malibu Skier is a ship? Sweet...have to take the ship out next time I get down to Florida ;)

Unless that Malibu is fitted with close-range firepower and some seamen, that boat's just a boat.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #89 on: May 25, 2012, 08:07:47 PM »
Unless that Malibu is fitted with close-range firepower and some seamen, that boat's just a boat.

There's gators in their lake...time to start convincing the old man to do some more work on the Malibu, for protection, yeah, that's it.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #90 on: May 25, 2012, 08:55:20 PM »
28 years in the Navy, just retired, I would've loved to have been a part of this. They should play on the USS Bush. Newest carrier and commanded by an alum.

If it is not top secret , who's the alum?  And THANK YOU for your service!!!

Brian Luther, class of '84.  Perhaps with a few of us contacting our elected officials, maybe we can persuade the pentagon to give the admiral adequate shore leave to make the game!  After all, he is a Warrior in the most literal sense.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 09:08:08 PM by real chili 83 »

Marqevans

• All American
« Reply #91 on: May 25, 2012, 10:07:32 PM »
Hope there are no slippery decals on the playing floor.

MU82

• All American
When was the last time Marquette had a non-conference game of this magnitude scheduled? A perennial top-25 team in what will likely be the most-watched game of the first week of the season? I'm not talking about tournaments, like Duke in Maui, but when we knew 100% we'd be playing a team like this. Absolutely HUGE get for Marquette. I cannot praise the guys behind the scheduling enough for this one.

When I was a sophomore, we played a very high ranked, Mike Gminski led Duke team in Madison on national TV -- back in the pre-ESPN days when only one game per week was on national TV. It was in Madison because there was some kind of scheduling conflict at MECCA. We took a big lead, blew it and then came through at the end to win. It was the first game Al broadcast involving Marquette, too. It was a very big deal.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
When I was a sophomore, we played a very high ranked, Mike Gminski led Duke team in Madison on national TV -- back in the pre-ESPN days when only one game per week was on national TV. It was in Madison because there was some kind of scheduling conflict at MECCA. We took a big lead, blew it and then came through at the end to win. It was the first game Al broadcast involving Marquette, too. It was a very big deal.

So give or take...32 years? This is simply immense.

Tugg Speedman

• All American

Two years ago against Duke in Kansas City.  That game was national televised with Dickie V. And was a first round game, so it was 100%.

Last year against Washington in MSG.  Dickie V again.

What is unique about this game is the venue.  If we opened the season against Ohio State on any other neutral court, would you say it was that epic?

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea, and the attention is great but let's not get carried away by the meaning of this game.

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
That's 5 miles from where my Dad lives.  I hope I can swing it. 

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
Two years ago against Duke in Kansas City.  That game was national televised with Dickie V. And was a first round game, so it was 100%.

What is unique about this game is the venue.  If we opened the season against Ohio State on any other neutral court, would you say it was that epic?

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea, and the attention is great but let's not get carried away by the meaning of this game.

Since it's on national TV, we'll probably lose, right Debbie Downer? People said this was the biggest NON-tourney, non-con game they can remember, obviously in terms of attention. Then you offer up examples of non-conference tournament games? Also, what does the bolded sentence possibly mean?

This kind of game has the cool factor I always imagine the bumblebee uni era squads had. Even though it's a complete gimmick, if it involves MU I'm all for it.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks

Duke was a tournament. We didn't know when we signed it we'd be playing them. Could have just as easily been K-State or Gonzaga. Not the same. And Washington, while a nice team, is not Ohio State. My guess is more people will watch this game than watched us play Duke and Washington combined. Last year's Carrier Classic was ESPN's most watched CBB game in over 5 years, drawing in nearly 4 million viewers.

Just because Vitale is broadcasting a game doesn't make it a massive game. He probably does 3-6 games per week, more during Feast Week and the Conference Championships.

This has a good chance to be the single most-watched non-conference game of the year. That is usually where you find teams like North Carolina, Duke, UCLA, Kentucky, Syracuse...this is a massive step for the program. Let's not underestimate the meaning of this game. We wouldn't be in this position if we weren't considered one of the top-20 or so programs (not teams, programs) in the country.

turk17

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #98 on: May 26, 2012, 08:37:14 AM »
What if we're rained out?  That would be an NCAABB first, right?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
What's the name of the Hurricane?

Hurricane ditka.