Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz & Trent Lockett  (Read 37431 times)

MuMark

• All American
Re: Buzz & Trent Lockett
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2012, 10:27:30 PM »
The visit was in MN not on campus and our interest in him and vice versa had been confirmed over a week ago by Mark Miller among others.

Good to see that Buzz and the young man met but as Strott said this is not a surprise.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2012, 10:30:21 PM »
It's been revealed to those who can see.

Winter is coming.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2012, 10:34:50 PM »

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2012, 03:16:40 AM »
Well, who is it?

I won't "call" anyone out.  I heard a certain player is transferring,  which makes sense given MU being attached to a lot of high profile transfers.   If you do the math,  he makes the most sense.  Please keep your conclusion to yourself...

westcoastwarrior

• Starter
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2012, 11:49:06 AM »
+1

There have been hints in this thread, as well as others, that there will be a transfer.  My ex sister-in law's 2nd cousin's dentist's friend's next-door-neighbor has mentioned a certain transfer to a less frigid school.

Are you talking about the girls on campus or the Milwaukee weather?  :D

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2012, 11:49:42 AM »
Durley is the obvious answer to this question, it's very obvious to me

mueron

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2012, 11:54:56 AM »
It is known.

They will bend the knee or I will destroy them.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2012, 01:32:56 PM »
Durley is the obvious answer to this question, it's very obvious to me

Durley is not a transfer, never been hear yet.  But he is the obvious one, but I think there is somebody else.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2012, 01:59:21 PM »
If Durley isn't coming, we are going to either be insanely small in 2014 or have a very young frontline. Not sure how much Durley would change that though.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

strotty

• All American
    • Paint Touches
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2012, 02:02:03 PM »
If Durley isn't coming, we are going to either be insanely small in 2014 or have a very young frontline. Not sure how much Durley would change that though.

Way too early to look at where we'll be in 2014. A handful of things can and probably will happen between then and now.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2012, 02:08:20 PM »
Buzz has 2 more years to show recruits what is going on at MU, his ability to coach, recruit, etc.  He will be able to get an elite recruit as the kid could start right away on a pretty good team.

Center - ??
Power Forward - S Taylor
Small Forward -  Burton, Ferguson, Anderson
2 guard - Mayo, TJ Taylor
Point - D Wilson, D Wilson

Add Looney in 2014, bring in a JC big, another banger and MU will be fine, add Stone in 2015, and MU could be really good.  Send Durley to JC for 2 years and he will have some experinece

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2012, 02:08:56 PM »
Doesn't mean it shouldn't be considered. Yes things can happen, but 6'10 guys don't just appear out of nowhere.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2012, 02:25:52 PM »

Lets look at this pragmatically.

We have Otule who has been injured for 3 of his 4 years on campus.
We have Gardner, who has been injured 2 of 2.  

I wouldn't want to bet on these two making it through an entire season without an injury to at least one of them.

No matter what one thinks of Durley's quality, the bottom line is that he could shore up a thin big-man depth chart that is injury-prone to start with.  

strotty

• All American
    • Paint Touches
« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2012, 02:29:47 PM »
Doesn't mean it shouldn't be considered. Yes things can happen, but 6'10 guys don't just appear out of nowhere.

And Buzz isn't going to make decisions about the roster without thinking years in advance. You recruit for four years, not just one. If Buzz has taught us anything, it's that if he makes a recruiting decision...it's probably the right one.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2012, 02:34:48 PM »
Need to add a 6'10" guy for this season.  Just imagine how our season would be destroyed if both Otule and Gardner were out with injury!! 
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 15, 2012, 02:39:46 PM »
And Buzz isn't going to make decisions about the roster without thinking years in advance. You recruit for four years, not just one. If Buzz has taught us anything, it's that if he makes a recruiting decision...it's probably the right one.

I didn't say Buzz is asleep at the wheel. I do trust that he has things planned out. I'm just pointing out where our plan needs to focus on now. if you are recruiting for four years, I think it makes sense to consider where losing Durley would put our front line in 2014.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2012, 02:40:46 PM »
Durley is not a transfer, never been hear yet.  But he is the obvious one, but I think there is somebody else.

I think Durley is only obvious to people that gripe about his PT. But he's made it very clear he plans on being here, and the LOI locks us into the first year schollie (unlike Newbill, who never signed one).

There's someone else even more obvious. Someone far from home who hasn't found his place in the rotation despite being highly regarded coming in, much like EW a year ago.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

strotty

• All American
    • Paint Touches
« Reply #67 on: April 15, 2012, 02:49:05 PM »
I didn't say Buzz is asleep at the wheel. I do trust that he has things planned out. I'm just pointing out where our plan needs to focus on now. if you are recruiting for four years, I think it makes sense to consider where losing Durley would put our front line in 2014.

Absolutely, but he's obviously considering what losing Durley would mean based on what he knows about future recruits and classes. And that's even if Durley doesn't come, which is nothing short of a rumor based on one comment from Buzz. I know what you meant, though.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #68 on: April 15, 2012, 02:53:27 PM »
I think Durley is only obvious to people that gripe about his PT. But he's made it very clear he plans on being here, and the LOI locks us into the first year schollie (unlike Newbill, who never signed one).

There's someone else even more obvious. Someone far from home who hasn't found his place in the rotation despite being highly regarded coming in, much like EW a year ago.

Seems like we have forgotten how we lamented not having a quality big, and how hard it's was to find them.  They were reserved for the " annointed" programs.

Fast forward to today.  We have Otule and Gardner.  Solid bigs.  Now we can dismiss Durley?

Heck no!  We need this depth.  Having 3 bigs spread out over several classes is a huge accomplishment.  And critical.

I predict Durley will be special.  Very special.  Not only does he have tne native ability, he will be going up every day in practice 2 proven D1 bigs that have vey different skill sets.  That type of development environment is rare and unique.

awilhelmscream

• Starter
« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2012, 02:56:04 PM »

Just speculation but I've thought Anderson for a while.  Not only does he look a little lost while he's out there (to be expected to an extent from a freshman) but does anyone else remember when he hurt his shoulder and word was he was going to be out for 4 weeks?  Then does anyone remember Buzz's reaction when he was back the next week?  IIRC, Buzz said something to the extent of "he got hurt and over reacted to the pain". I'm probably reading too far into Buzz's comments about Juan but I get the feeling Buzz doesn't think he's very tough and quite frankly there's no room for someone who's "soft" on a Buzz coached team.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2012, 03:02:41 PM »

Newbill definitely signed the LOI.  However, it's only binding if you're admitted to the school, which he never was because he never applied.

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #71 on: April 15, 2012, 03:14:10 PM »

Newbill never signed one?   If that is the case, then why was he prevented from transferring to a Big East school?

The Milwaukee Journal says MU gave him his release.  If he didn't sign one, why would he be given a release from a document he never signed?  You may be right, but the articles seem off then, including Marquette's own school run website.

http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/041410aab.html

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/97488689.html

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/Did-Marquette-put-winning-before-ethics-by-cutti?urn=ncaab,252690

If Durley leaves, he would be the third player that has signed a national letter of intent to Marquette that never made it to campus.  Some don't like that approach, others are ok with it.  I'm ok with transfers, but not to excited about kids signing letters of intent and then not being allowed to show up. 

http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/111208aai.html

http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/110911aae.html

http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/041410aab.html
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2012, 03:52:20 PM »
Newbill signed his LOI.  He was denied admittance to the school....or maybe he never applied....cannot recall.

And I agree with you Hoop regarding LOIs.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #73 on: April 15, 2012, 04:07:34 PM »
Newbill signed his LOI.  He was denied admittance to the school....or maybe he never applied....cannot recall.

And I agree with you Hoop regarding LOIs.

Newbill did not complete his application.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #74 on: April 15, 2012, 04:12:07 PM »
Newbill did not complete his application.

Yeah that's right.  He was told not to.