Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: SAGA Food Service  (Read 25272 times)

warthog-driver

• All American
SAGA Food Service
« on: April 03, 2012, 12:24:09 AM »
I had forgotten how awful the food was in the dorms. The manager at McCormick was a guy named Walt. Dave Sinker (who was our ASMU "Senator") challenged him about the food quality. Walt's reply was "don't eat it..."

Then there was Queenie, the Homo Erotic server. Queenie supposedly had been an English prof at Eastern Illinois; he lost his position due to his untoward advances to male students. When news of his academic background became known guys started giving him their papers to review. Personally, I avoided all contact with Queenie, Homo Erotic Food Server of McCormick Hall.  
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 12:28:13 AM by warthog-driver »

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
Re: SAGA Food Service
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 08:05:53 AM »
Gotta love the $11-$14 per meal "meal plans."

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 08:25:00 AM »
Thankfully, I was in Schroeder, but the food was still bad.

SAGA - Soviet Attempt to Gag Americans.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 02:03:37 PM »
Thankfully, I was in Schroeder, but the food was still bad.

SAGA - Soviet Attempt to Gag Americans.

Typical dorm food....but it did help me pay for 2 years of college.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 02:36:00 PM »
I had forgotten how awful the food was in the dorms. The manager at McCormick was a guy named Walt. Dave Sinker (who was our ASMU "Senator") challenged him about the food quality. Walt's reply was "don't eat it..."

Then there was Queenie, the Homo Erotic server. Queenie supposedly had been an English prof at Eastern Illinois; he lost his position due to his untoward advances to male students. When news of his academic background became known guys started giving him their papers to review. Personally, I avoided all contact with Queenie, Homo Erotic Food Server of McCormick Hall.  

Wow, that brings back memories. Dave Sinker was a character. Was Queenie the dude who used to run the doughnut machine?

Slim

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 02:38:29 PM »
"Flush twice, it's a long way to SAGA"

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 02:43:09 PM »
Pretty sure I walked about of at least 80% of my meals with a soft serve ice cream cone.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 03:20:24 PM »
It's better than what some schools (maybe MU too or all?) do.  At least with SAGA, we got to eat as much as we wanted at each meal.  Now, everything is a la carte and it's damn expensive to pay for meals. At least it's that way at I4, where my oldest attends.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 03:21:46 PM »
Norm always swiped the cards at McCormick cafteria.  Everyone used to give him the "Norm!" from Cheers.  If you asked him how he was doing on potato bar night he would answer spud-tacular.

We voted a guy in as our McCormick Hall Saga rep to voice concerns.  I'm sure to this day that everyone from 9th floor still calls him Sagaman.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 03:23:23 PM »
I actually worked at SAGA for a stretch. One of my roles was to keep the salad bar stocked. One day I was looking for a utensil to refill the sour cream container and asked one of the full timers for one. She walked me to the refrigerator, dug her hand into the huge sour cream container, flung it into the smaller salad bar jar and said, "It cleans out your finger nails, too!"

Honest to God true story.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 07:42:18 PM »
Wow, that brings back memories. Dave Sinker was a character. Was Queenie the dude who used to run the doughnut machine?

I remember the donut machine but not sure Queenie ran it. Queenie was tall and had a buzz cut. He was always telling people he was a Homo Erotic.

Sinker was a writer for the Gong Show and The Jenny Jones Show. Last I heard he opened and runs a comedy club in Chicago's northern burbs.

http://www.napervillemagazine.com/?q=node/135

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 08:39:13 PM »
I remember the donut machine but not sure Queenie ran it. Queenie was tall and had a buzz cut. He was always telling people he was a Homo Erotic.

Sinker was a writer for the Gong Show and The Jenny Jones Show. Last I heard he opened and runs a comedy club in Chicago's northern burbs.

I recall you saying that you're in Seattle (on the thread that wouldn't die), so you wouldn't know that Naperville is a western suburb, not northern.  Not that it matters.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 08:48:15 PM »
There was a newspaper article a few months back that said The Comedy Shrine was closing for economic reasons, but apparently it got a second wind.

http://www.comedyshrine.com/tim-meadows-this-weekend-at-the-comedy-shrine-2/
Have some patience, FFS.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2012, 08:52:22 PM »
There was a newspaper article a few months back that said The Comedy Shrine was closing for economic reasons, but apparently it got a second wind.

http://www.comedyshrine.com/tim-meadows-this-weekend-at-the-comedy-shrine-2/

Not surprised. Sinker was full of hot air!

Jim Sawdust

• Walk-On
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2012, 09:14:45 PM »
Attempt, nothing!

Soviet Agents Gagging Americans

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2012, 09:41:37 PM »

Do you happen to remember Jim Keppler?

RealChiliWarrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2012, 11:28:55 PM »
Anyone remember John Plesnick, then (1972-1973) a philosophy instructor, who lived in a McCormick single.  He would wear a Hefner type robe and slippers to the dining room for breakfast. 

During that time there was a food line worker referred to as "Weedie" who was rumored to be a former professor.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2012, 11:49:46 PM »
Anyone remember John Plesnick, then (1972-1973) a philosophy instructor, who lived in a McCormick single.  He would wear a Hefner type robe and slippers to the dining room for breakfast. 

During that time there was a food line worker referred to as "Weedie" who was rumored to be a former professor.

Don't know Plesnick but Queenie was originally "Weedie." His voluntary disclosures as a "Homo Erotic" necessitated the change to Queenie!

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2012, 11:55:20 PM »
I recall you saying that you're in Seattle (on the thread that wouldn't die), so you wouldn't know that Naperville is a western suburb, not northern.  Not that it matters.

Roger western vice northern suburb. I do know where Issaquah, Sammamish, and Puyallup are, though!

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2012, 03:06:40 AM »
Do you happen to remember Jim Keppler?

Keppler?? Can't place the name.

Sinker was part of what was known as the McCormick Mafia. They stayed in that dorm for two years and ran for a bunch of ASMU offices. They helped Tom Sallie get elected as President. One of my roommates was Jim McDonough who took ASMU pretty seriously. I recall he was pretty upset about Sallie. I always thought most people didn't give a sh1t about student govt.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2012, 06:57:45 AM »
Linda the card swipper at mccormick in the 90s was awesome.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2012, 07:54:42 AM »
Ms. Bennie made the best short order omelets at O'Donnell in the early aughts

Slim

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2012, 12:05:08 PM »
Keppler?? Can't place the name.

Sinker was part of what was known as the McCormick Mafia. They stayed in that dorm for two years and ran for a bunch of ASMU offices. They helped Tom Sallie get elected as President. One of my roommates was Jim McDonough who took ASMU pretty seriously. I recall he was pretty upset about Sallie. I always thought most people didn't give a sh1t about student govt.
Tom "God save the Kinks" Sallie?

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2012, 12:10:14 PM »
Roger western vice northern suburb. I do know where Issaquah, Sammamish, and Puyallup are, though!

Somewhere in Asia?   :P

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2012, 12:22:17 PM »
Tom "God save the Kinks" Sallie?

There were the 3 Sals: Tom Sallie, John Salamanski, and Sal Balomo