Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: SAGA Food Service  (Read 25275 times)

warthog-driver

• All American
Re: SAGA Food Service
« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2012, 03:26:49 AM »
You were on 10 north.  We were on 10 south.  Rocky Rockenbach, our dear departed MU alum, was our Frosh RA.  We've also lost Greg Raffensperger...from White Folks Bay.  Greg had a VW bug that we would take up to Port Washington to to indulge in the double bubble happy hour at Sundance.

Sophmore year, the year of the bug juice machine incident was Tom K., the polish guy from northern Wi for our RA.  ;D  Tom married a wonderful MU gal, Jane.  

There was a guy on your section of the floor.  We called him Megaphone Mark.  When his mom would call him on a Saturday morning, he would answer "hello".  He had one of those voices...barritone (sp) that would carry down, and wake up the whole floor.

Anyone remember the great painting we did on 10 north of the album cover from Dark Side of the Moon?

I think I was a year before you. Our RA was Larry Burnett who ended up going to Cornell Law. He was also in my wedding party. The 10 South RA was Pete DeSalva who was a Marine option NROTC. Pete ended up making Colonel in the Corps which in my opinion is a very big deal.

I knew Rocky real well. His dad owned a Chevy dealership in Chicago. I had no idea something happened. Gary was a real stand up guy. You could count on him.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #76 on: May 01, 2012, 06:10:42 AM »
I think I was a year before you. Our RA was Larry Burnett who ended up going to Cornell Law. He was also in my wedding party. The 10 South RA was Pete DeSalva who was a Marine option NROTC. Pete ended up making Colonel in the Corps which in my opinion is a very big deal.

I knew Rocky real well. His dad owned a Chevy dealership in Chicago. I had no idea something happened. Gary was a real stand up guy. You could count on him.

Rocky from Grayslake.  If I remember correctly, it was some form of cancer.  Long time ago too....I think he must have been in his early 30's.  Very nice guy.  He put up with a lot from us. 

Frosh year, after spring break, a couple of guys decided to have a bottle rocket war.  They had just stocked up in Tennessee, on their way back from Florida.  You probably remember the grates that were above the doors in Schroeder.  One guy went up to the "enemy's" door, broke most of the stem off a bottle rocket, lit it and pushed it through the grate, and into the enemy's base camp/room.  The situation really got out of hand when one moron deployed a roman candle.  That brought the situation to an end.  A few minutes later, us civilians came out into a hallway full of the smoke from burned gunpowder.  The kids involved were really luck there wasn't a fire.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #77 on: May 02, 2012, 02:55:43 PM »
Rocky from Grayslake.  If I remember correctly, it was some form of cancer.  Long time ago too....I think he must have been in his early 30's.  Very nice guy.  He put up with a lot from us. 

That is a real shame. Gary was a first rate guy. Did he have a family?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #78 on: May 02, 2012, 04:00:04 PM »
That is a real shame. Gary was a first rate guy. Did he have a family?

In the article I saw, it referenced a wife.  Not sure about kids.  He passed in 1995.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #79 on: May 02, 2012, 04:59:35 PM »
God help us.  My daughter now lives in Schroeder.  I'll have to pass along your story real chili.

You are in trouble. That is where I got my start down the road to.......well, wherever it was.

Hey Real Chili83, I have no idea what you are talking about with the bottle rockets. It would seem highly unlikely that a group of highly respectable 10N guys would illegally transport bottle rockets across state lines. For that matter, those same people wouldn't have loaded the car with cases upon cases of beer in Milwaukee to drink in Florida only to end up in Florida after a stop at U of Florida with only 3 beers left.

(I did not launch the roman candles, for that matter, I don't think I launched any bottle rockets either. I prefer to be more of a facilitator).

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #80 on: May 02, 2012, 05:20:32 PM »
On our trip to Florida, we took soooo much beer, purveyed to us by our Pabst rep., the infamous Chopper.  We filled the trunk, and also had six cases in the back seat too.

We got pulled over in Louisville.  Officer Friendly never looked in the back seat.  If he had, it would not have turned out well.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #81 on: May 02, 2012, 05:24:38 PM »

You are in trouble. That is where I got my start down the road to.......well, wherever it was.

Hey Real Chili83, I have no idea what you are talking about with the bottle rockets. It would seem highly unlikely that a group of highly respectable 10N guys would illegally transport bottle rockets across state lines. For that matter, those same people wouldn't have loaded the car with cases upon cases of beer in Milwaukee to drink in Florida only to end up in Florida after a stop at U of Florida with only 3 beers left.

(I did not launch the roman candles, for that matter, I don't think I launched any bottle rockets either. I prefer to be more of a facilitator).

Suppose you remember the dude with the Bose 901's, who also had a samurai sword in his room, and was also the wielder of the roman candle.  http://

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #82 on: May 02, 2012, 05:57:46 PM »
Frosh year, after spring break, a couple of guys decided to have a bottle rocket war.  They had just stocked up in Tennessee, on their way back from Florida.  You probably remember the grates that were above the doors in Schroeder.  One guy went up to the "enemy's" door, broke most of the stem off a bottle rocket, lit it and pushed it through the grate, and into the enemy's base camp/room.  The situation really got out of hand when one moron deployed a roman candle.  That brought the situation to an end.  A few minutes later, us civilians came out into a hallway full of the smoke from burned gunpowder.  The kids involved were really luck there wasn't a fire.

We didn't employ explosive fire power. I do recall the waste can full of urine leaning against the door was employed from time to time, however. Not sure which is worse.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #83 on: May 04, 2012, 08:25:31 PM »
Anyone remember the great painting we did on 10 north of the album cover from Dark Side of the Moon?

Some of the guys did the album covers Traffic: On The Road and one of the Yes albums. They spent a lot of time on those and they were well done.

Schroeder 10 North: A Proud Tradition of Overindulgence in Controlled Substances, Meaningless Sex, Vomit, and Malicious Vandalism

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #84 on: May 04, 2012, 10:18:23 PM »
On our trip to Florida, we took soooo much beer, purveyed to us by our Pabst rep., the infamous Chopper.  We filled the trunk, and also had six cases in the back seat too.

We got pulled over in Louisville.  Officer Friendly never looked in the back seat.  If he had, it would not have turned out well.

Sounds like our trip to Florida in '84.  23 cases of Bud in our two cars, gotten from the infamous "one who went after sleeping, passed out women" Bud Man.  Bud Man's car broke down, all 7 of us and our Bud piled into my Toyota Celica the rest of the way to Florida.  Got pulled over in Lantana County, GA.  Ya'll don't do those things in Lantana County.....
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #85 on: May 05, 2012, 01:40:26 PM »
Sounds like our trip to Florida in '84.  23 cases of Bud in our two cars, gotten from the infamous "one who went after sleeping, passed out women" Bud Man.  Bud Man's car broke down, all 7 of us and our Bud piled into my Toyota Celica the rest of the way to Florida.  Got pulled over in Lantana County, GA.  Ya'll don't do those things in Lantana County.....

7 dudes and 23 cases of Bud crammed into a Celica for 15 hours...

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #86 on: May 05, 2012, 02:23:30 PM »
On our trip to Florida, we took soooo much beer, purveyed to us by our Pabst rep., the infamous Chopper.

Awesome.  I hadn't thought of Chopper in a long time.  To tie into some other topics we've discussed in the past month, the beer reps were HUGE with respect to providing 'entertainment' dollars for student functions.  God college was fun!

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #87 on: May 05, 2012, 04:25:28 PM »
7 dudes and 23 cases of Bud crammed into a Celica for 15 hours...
it was only a few hours in the one car....and the 23 cases we started out with wasn't 23 by the time we made it to FLA.  just sayin'

5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #88 on: May 05, 2012, 07:25:42 PM »
it was only a few hours in the one car....and the 23 cases we started out with wasn't 23 by the time we made it to FLA.  just sayin'

Not sure which is more horrendous...7 dudes crammed into a Celica for several hours or being forced to drink 23 cases of Bud...

TribalRage

• Walk-On
« Reply #89 on: May 10, 2012, 01:20:17 PM »
We counted 12 SAGA menu items that featured canned tuna. We had to add chili when we were told by a kitchen worker that they threw canned tuna in the chili. These are those 30 pound cans of tuna.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #90 on: May 14, 2012, 06:39:56 PM »
I can still recall the distinctive odor emanating from the McCormick cafeteria at breakfast. Not sure what the hell that was - grease and some other aromas but I can still smell that to this day. Interestingly, it was unique to breakfast.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #91 on: May 14, 2012, 09:20:06 PM »
I can still recall the distinctive odor emanating from the McCormick cafeteria at breakfast. Not sure what the hell that was - grease and some other aromas but I can still smell that to this day. Interestingly, it was unique to breakfast.

Must have been the tuna in the eggs.  ?-( 

I hate it when my kid complains.  Freakin' Chicken Parmesan at the fancy pants Italian Cafe in Schroeder.  Awesome Brews all over campus.  Malts up at the 50s diner at Mashuda.  Einstein Bros. bagels.  Cripes!

On top of that, these damn kids have all the comforts of home in their dorms including a better TV than I have in my family room.  Plus yours truly got to haul it (plus a big futon) down the Schroeder steps this past weekend while someone supervised!  (Must have been fatigue from finals?)

Oh, and I also get the privilege of writing a $40k+ check!

Nuff bitchin'.  Thanks mom and dad for making it possible for me 30 years ago!  ;D 

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #92 on: May 14, 2012, 10:37:43 PM »
I think it is a different world. Son number One had training table but he also had a card called Cougar Cash where he could eat a la carte anywhere on campus. Our son who went to Middlebury had phenomenal food options while our daughter at Dartmouth complained about the "Freshman Fifteen." Bottom line is that the crap SAGA ladled out to us would noty be accepted in any way today. Looking back it was pure shyte.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #93 on: May 15, 2012, 07:41:40 AM »
I think it is a different world. Son number One had training table but he also had a card called Cougar Cash where he could eat a la carte anywhere on campus. Our son who went to Middlebury had phenomenal food options while our daughter at Dartmouth complained about the "Freshman Fifteen." Bottom line is that the crap SAGA ladled out to us would noty be accepted in any way today. Looking back it was pure shyte.

I agree.  It's the same at I4, where my oldest is going.  I-Bucks allow the kids to eat anywhere on campus and everything is a la carte.    If SAGA was around, they'd just go to the fast food places and skip SAGA.  The other huge difference we had was the all you could eat meal.  It costs $3.00+ just for one f-ing banana.

And JSGlow, I hear you.  I was the one carrying all the stuff out of the dorm while the kid recovered (?) from his finals.  Something was wrong with that picture.....

5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #94 on: May 15, 2012, 09:56:14 AM »
The other huge difference we had was the all you could eat meal. 

Mixed blessing, at best. Kinda like all the poon you want in a leper colony

TribalRage

• Walk-On
« Reply #95 on: May 17, 2012, 10:05:38 AM »
I agree.  It's the same at I4, where my oldest is going.  I-Bucks allow the kids to eat anywhere on campus and everything is a la carte.    If SAGA was around, they'd just go to the fast food places and skip SAGA.  The other huge difference we had was the all you could eat meal.  It costs $3.00+ just for one f-ing banana.

Has your oldest been to I4's impromptu rallies in the AH Concourse after a stunning I4 win over Minnesota?

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #96 on: May 17, 2012, 10:20:54 AM »
I might have posted this in the wrong topic.  Local brewer here Summit is coming out with a new beer this week.

http://www.summitbrewing.com/brews/saga-ipa

feedback