Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Diamond Stone  (Read 9200 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Diamond Stone
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2012, 09:29:19 AM »
Competition.    Speed.    Anderson lacked those two things.   He was from the hinterlands, being guarded by 6-4 kids.   Stone is competing against kids closer to his size and quicker than he is.  

Besides, Anderson is more traditional.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2012, 12:05:26 PM »
You are missing the argument entirely. You made a snide remark and I pointed out your misreading; don't be mad. You distorted the original quote and I explained what you were doing. Dreadman was stating that he believed that either Parker would either go to an Illinois school or a blue blood program and that he was 100% certain he wouldn't come to MU. You stated that this was a logically inconsistent position to hold, which it is not.

I made no mention of my own opinion of what Parker will do. I don't believe he will go to MU or the Illini, but will likely go to UNC or Duke. Besides that, you again misinterpretted Dredman's point a second time. He didn't say Parker was open "to any and all colleges, but MU" but rather that he was open to blue bloods and in-state schools (neither of which is MU); UConn, for example, would equally fall outside of that definition.

Textual interpretation is a reference to one's ability to glean meaning from written words... a skill you obviously lack.

I'm going to have to disagree with you all around.  Apparently you are the one who lacks "textual interpretation" (I would think "reading comprehension" is a more common way to term it) skills.

Based on what he said, the absolute only school he ruled out was Marquette.  Let's revisit his post:

I hate to sound like an a-hole but we have absolutely no shot at Jabari. I would love to see him in a Marquette uni, but im a realist. If he doesnt stay in-state he will likely go to a blue blood program.

Using "textual interpretation," he says, "If he doesn't stay in-state."  This would mean that the most likely scenario is he goes to a school in the state of Illinois.  He then continues by saying "he will likely go to a blue blood program."  This would mean that if the most likely scenario of staying in state does not happen, then the next most likely scenario would be that he goes to a blue blood program (UCLA, UNC, Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, Indiana).  The absolute only part of his post that definitively says something about where he will choose to go to college is when he says "we have absolutely no shot at Jabari."  I think your problem is your interpretation of the word "likely."  "Likely" is not a definitive word.  By saying "likely," it leaves open the possibility that something other than what he says is "likely" to happen actually does happen.  So he is saying that the biggest likelihood is that he goes in state, with a decent shot at him going out of state but to a blue blood program, but there is a chance that he goes out of state to a program that is not considered to be a blue blood program.  That does not rule out UCONN, or any other school in the country (again, besides Marquette, which is the only school he definitively said he was not going to).

So it looks like somebody else may be the one who lacks "textual interpretation skills."

And regardless of your lack of textual interpretation skillz, unless he is Jabari Parker or has heard from his mouth that he is not coming here, I am not sure how he can say with certainty that we are not getting him.

For the record, I too think we have no shot at him.  But just because I think that does not mean it is absolutely true.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2012, 12:08:33 PM »
Parker will visit next year with Nunn to watch Taylor play a game, you never know what can happen.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2012, 12:10:59 PM »
AWegrzyn
Come on be nice. Don't ruin the forum for everyone by one upping the fella's. People have been called an idiot on here for expressing information and opinions. Seems like to me you are trying to state your opinion as being superior to that of the other posters.

If that is how you want to come across please do so another forum.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2012, 12:15:40 PM »
Obviously landing Jabari is a long shot but would never say no chance on it happening. The kid is likely one and done and if we landed him we probably would have as good a chance to win NC as anyone in the country. Guys go to UK to win if one and done kids and we might be better opportunity than UK in two years.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2012, 01:57:16 PM »
Wadesworld: let's make this simple. He said that he was sure that Parker wasn't going to come to MU, and thought it would be an Illinois program or a blue blood. Is it logically inconsistent to be 100% sure that Parker isn't going to come to MU and then make a prediction about where he will go that is less than 100% positive? I don't believe that to be the case. Dreadman is perhaps overly confident in his belief that Parker won't come to MU, but you made a snide remark and bolded his quote in a way that made it appear that what he was saying was logically inconsistent.

And Goose, I hardly even stated my opinion on where Parker will go. All I did was defend Dreadman when his post was attacked by another poster. If people don't like having the fallacies of their snide remarks pointed out to them, I'm not all too torn up about it. Idk... I don't have any sources with insider information about it though, so maybe you're right.

"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

Goose

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2012, 02:08:24 PM »
AWeg
Your tone sounded very arrogant and insulting. Not sure the need to point out people's errors or weakness on here. You have every right to your opinion but do not think the arrogance is needed. Honestly it appears to me that you feel you are better than the rest of the posters and feel you can say whatever you want about someone or their posts. If you feel you are smarter or more in the know than everyone else start your own forum.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2012, 02:13:10 PM »
AWeg
Your tone sounded very arrogant and insulting. Not sure the need to point out people's errors or weakness on here. You have every right to your opinion but do not think the arrogance is needed. Honestly it appears to me that you feel you are better than the rest of the posters and feel you can say whatever you want about someone or their posts. If you feel you are smarter or more in the know than everyone else start your own forum.

Haha it's fine.  He is correct that Dreadman saying he was 100% sure he wasn't coming to Marquette but that it was only likely he goes to a blue blood or in state program isn't necessarily inaccurate.  I just find it interesting that he left open the possibility of Parker going anywhere in the country (which he did, even though AWeg apparently doesn't think he did), yet there is 0% chance he comes to Marquette.  I highly doubt Parker would say "I am open to any school, except Marquette University."  Maybe he did.  AWeg just seems to not understand the meaning of "likely."  He will figure it out.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2012, 02:15:09 PM »
I apologize if my implicit tone offended anyone on this message board. I forgot that posting inflamatory statements about coaches, players, the administration, and recruits with no actual knowledge is fair game, but any logical dissection of people's posts may be deemed offensive and not nice.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2012, 02:19:03 PM »
Haha it's fine.  He is correct that Dreadman saying he was 100% sure he wasn't coming to Marquette but that it was only likely he goes to a blue blood or in state program isn't necessarily inaccurate.  I just find it interesting that he left open the possibility of Parker going anywhere in the country (which he did, even though AWeg apparently doesn't think he did), yet there is 0% chance he comes to Marquette.  I highly doubt Parker would say "I am open to any school, except Marquette University."  Maybe he did.  AWeg just seems to not understand the meaning of "likely."  He will figure it out.

Hey Dreadman, what do you think the chances are that Parker goes to Providence, Seton Hall, Rhode Island, Gonzaga, Colorado State, Florida International...

Goose

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2012, 02:19:33 PM »
AWeg,
My only point is you chose to out me, insult me and ask me to leave the forum because I ruined it for you and others. I took your comments, including calling me an idiot, and have refrained from commenting on the coaching situation. No problem with your opinion. But not sure why you feel need to insult other posters. Pointing out errors is fine but the added commentaries really are not needed.

Jam Chowder

• Team Captain
« Reply #61 on: April 01, 2012, 02:22:09 PM »
So, regarding Diamond Stone...  ::)

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 01, 2012, 02:29:10 PM »
So, regarding Diamond Stone...  ::)

Goose, if you truly  are stopping posts about the coaching situation, I will try to improve my tone if it is bothersome.

On Stone, he looks like he's going to be one of the best players in the nation by the time he's a senior and he is planted in our backyard. I hope someone from the staff is at every single one of his games as he could definitely be a program-changing type of talent. The Du. Wilson commitment looks good on the Stone front, but it is just way too early to tell where his recruiting will go; that's why it is important we lay the groundwork early before programs like UNC and Kentucky start calling. Don't know that there is much more one can say at this point.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2012, 02:32:55 PM »
AWeg,
Deal!