Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Inside MU Basketball season-ending episode  (Read 27940 times)

madtownwarrior

• All American
Re: Inside MU Basketball season-ending episode
« Reply #125 on: March 29, 2012, 09:02:24 PM »
So enlighten us why Buzz and MU are no longer a fit oh so smart one..

The naïveté on this board is just beyond comprehension.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #126 on: March 29, 2012, 09:07:19 PM »
So enlighten us why Buzz and MU are no longer a fit oh so smart one..
Yeah right.  4ever's good for one-liners and one-liners only. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #127 on: March 29, 2012, 09:11:07 PM »
4ever has seen and lived more MU ball than most of you combined. He might be a man of few words but when he talks ball......listen. I lived MU ball for many years and pride myself on knowledge of our history and I can tell you 4ever and Lenny's Tap know their stuff.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #128 on: March 29, 2012, 09:18:44 PM »
4ever has seen and lived more MU ball than most of you combined. He might be a man of few words but when he talks ball......listen. I lived MU ball for many years and pride myself on knowledge of our history and I can tell you 4ever and Lenny's Tap know their stuff.

I like 4ever, but "man of few words?"  What?  He has 5,391 posts, and is ranked #5 on this site. 
Ludum habemus.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #129 on: March 29, 2012, 09:23:39 PM »
4ever should be consulted by Fr.P on coaching situation for the dues he has paid to this program. This program has different meaning to all of us and think that should be respected. Some are newbies and some are old guards and all have right to opinion. I don't give a crap if anyone gets pissed at me but this program is worth fighting for.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #130 on: March 29, 2012, 09:33:37 PM »
Yo, it's really easily seen. Start with the given, i.e. both the current administration and Buzz want MU to have a successful men's basketball program. Two problems, in definition, arise. What is meant by successful and how do you get there? It is equally clear that the administration is very concerned with the route of success. What's more fuzzy, however, is success is a subjective word.
The playing field has changed. Remember neither Fr. Pilarz nor Larry Williams had a hand in Buzz' hiring.  Buzz' happiness has been messed with. Now, maybe it needed messing. Who knows? Again, can be debated ad nauseum.
Public perception is critically important to both Buzz and the university, and with good reason. Lots of dinero at stake here. Expect both to put on a smiley face. Though, reading between the lines of each public statement..........this is far from over.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #131 on: March 29, 2012, 09:34:00 PM »
I like 4ever, but "man of few words?"  What?  He has 5,391 posts, and is ranked #5 on this site. 

I think Goose was referring to his style - his posts are short, to the point and, to my (twisted) mind, often hilarious.

seinfeld

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #132 on: March 29, 2012, 09:37:35 PM »
Yo, it's really easily seen. Start with the given, i.e. both the current administration and Buzz want MU to have a successful men's basketball program. Two problems, in definition, arise. What is meant by successful and how do you get there? It is equally clear that the administration is very concerned with the route of success. What's more fuzzy, however, is success is a subjective word.
The playing field has changed. Remember neither Fr. Pilarz nor Larry Williams had a hand in Buzz' hiring.  Buzz' happiness has been messed with. Now, maybe it needed messing. Who knows? Again, can be debated ad nauseum.
Public perception is critically important to both Buzz and the university, and with good reason. Lots of dinero at stake here. Expect both to put on a smiley face. Though, reading between the lines of each public statement..........this is far from over.

Pefect summary.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #133 on: March 29, 2012, 09:40:32 PM »
So the PR firm who crafted the public statements crafted them in a way that leaves the ambiguity that the situation is far from over...

seems like MU need a new PR firm already...

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #134 on: March 29, 2012, 10:13:09 PM »
SMU gig was just a dance with another girl to let your lady know you still got it. Problem is with a move like that you might end up sleeping on the couch. Buzz knows what he is doing and will ultimately do what is best for him. If I had to place a sizable bet today I would say one and done for Buzz.

Hmmm, two hours earlier at 12:36 you stated, "I am betting things get fixed."

So which is it?  ?-(

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #135 on: March 29, 2012, 10:15:46 PM »

Marquette has had one "golden era" in basketball. The good fathers kind of lucked out with Al and for 10 years we were the 2nd best program in the country. But the stakes were much smaller then and Al was such a force it was accomplished without much committment from the university.
Times have changed. The money is now huge and the competition much more fierce. Father Wild decided to break from our mostly mediocre recent basketball history and play with the big boys. His parting gift to his successor was a program on the brink of greatness with one of the finest young coaches (and even a finer young man) at the helm. And also a man wildly popular with the media and the alumni, much like Al was. If ever a college president was "handed the keys to a Ferarri" it was Fr Pilarz, but maybe the BOT wasn't interested in MU being a Ferarri - maybe a sensible Honda Accord was more their cup of tea. Maybe that's what's going on and Pilarz is being a good soldier and "just following orders". Just remember, lots of really bad things have happened when people were just following orders. I really, really, really want to be wrong about this. But when a smart guy comes in and starts "messin'with happy" from the get go, I can see no reason other than he's following orders. Otherwise, I'm wrong about him being a smart guy.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 10:18:50 PM by Lennys Tap »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #136 on: March 29, 2012, 10:20:06 PM »
Lenny Man, Larry's a very smart soldier.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #137 on: March 29, 2012, 10:38:39 PM »
4never is buzz's dentist and buzz won't listen to the teeth man that dip and sweet tea ain't good for the old gum line. Hence, the bearish position on buzz, aina?

MU Buff

• Starter
« Reply #138 on: March 30, 2012, 12:17:04 AM »
Hmmm, two hours earlier at 12:36 you stated, "I am betting things get fixed."

So which is it?  ?-(

I'm wondering the same.  Those two statements seem to contradict.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #139 on: March 30, 2012, 08:55:53 AM »
where's bigdaddy84 when you need him?

MUViking

• Starter
« Reply #140 on: March 30, 2012, 09:16:40 AM »
I've been told by others you like to guess at what people are thinking and then deciding that is what they said.   ::)

I would note I didn't say Jucos and have actually stated on several occasions that I have zero issues with any JUCOs.  None.  To your point, MU has taken Jucos before, one of my favorites was Marcus Jackson.  Jae Crowder was another.  Tyrone Baldwin another. 

Since you didn't comment on anything else in my post, is it safe to assume that you agree he is well compensated, that his basketball budget is top notch, etc?

All this ball squeezing that is supposedly going on, what is it? Where is it?  His pay?  No.  His recruiting budget?  No.  His overall budget?  No.  His ability to recruit kids?  No (you said so yourself).

Where and what is the ball squeezing?  This has been asked over and over again in the 100+ page thread of you, Goose, and the others that are throwing out this line that he is somehow under the thumb of the university.  Please be specific.

Chicos, you didn't say JUCOs but you say that Buzz has gotten kids in that previously weren't allowed in.  I assume you mean under Tom Crean?  Mike Deane?  Please elaborate! I guaran-damn-tee you are talking out of your ass right now.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #141 on: March 30, 2012, 09:22:09 AM »
Or a Prop 48 named Wade that got Crean his gig at I4?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

awilhelmscream

• Starter
« Reply #142 on: March 30, 2012, 09:26:58 AM »
I don't know why people keep stirring the pot.  If there's one thing all of us learned through that whole SMU exercise it should be Buzz and Corey are the only ones that know what is going on in Buzz' head.

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #143 on: March 30, 2012, 10:04:51 AM »

Good posting.  You seem to be saying the administration feels squirmy about certain instances.   

I feel bad for Buzz.  He loves his players and his players love him but some of their actions have put him in a tough spot. 
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #144 on: March 30, 2012, 10:06:29 AM »
So which players that got in under Buzz wouldn't have previously Hoop? I haven't seen an answer to that yet.

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #145 on: March 30, 2012, 10:06:56 AM »
Or a Prop 48 named Wade that got Crean his gig at I4?

MU has taken other Prop 48 players.  Gerald Posey for example.

Crean got the IU gig because if you can rebuild at Marquette, win consistently and keep your players out of trouble, graduating, etc,  you can most certainly do it at Indiana.  Remember the claims here that Crean could only get to the Sweet 16 with Wade?  I guess Wade suited up for IU this March.  
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #146 on: March 30, 2012, 10:13:06 AM »
So which players that got in under Buzz wouldn't have previously Hoop? I haven't seen an answer to that yet.

I have no inside knowledge and don't claim to be an insider like some of the internet dorks here.  From what I am reading on this board, his balls are being squeezed.  Several posters have said the administration is holding him back from admitting the players he wants, messing with happy.  Other posters have said the opposite.  Some are implying the administration is not thrilled with the route of success (4ever's comments).  Sounds like they feel squirmy.

What I have read here and in the media is more about quantity than anything else.  MU has had one or two players on a team that were borderline.  The Alton Mason's of the world. Aaron Hutchins, so on and so forth.  Read some of the postings here and they suggest that the roster was given much more latitude in that area from a quantity perspective.

Of course, in reading this board one insider will say something and another one will say the exact opposite 10 minutes later. I only read what I read.    If Buzz's balls are being squeezed and we know its not money, its not budgets, its not conference, it must be off the court stuff or the players.  What else is left?

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #147 on: March 30, 2012, 10:18:38 AM »
Stone Cold
Do we really want our President deciding our style of play?

Style of play?  No.   Do we want our President to make sure Marquette is represented in the best light?  That is part of his job.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #148 on: March 30, 2012, 10:23:23 AM »
Also, let's not act like this is the first time that Marquette basketball players have gotten in trouble. It just never made the papers before. Granted the sexual assault allegations haven't happened before (that I know of), but fights aren't anything new. Now that may mean Crean was just better at not letting it get out or the sexual assault allegations brought about more media scrutiny. I honestly think it is probably a little of both.

MUViking

• Starter
« Reply #149 on: March 30, 2012, 10:41:57 AM »
I have no inside knowledge and don't claim to be an insider like some of the internet dorks here.  From what I am reading on this board, his balls are being squeezed.  Several posters have said the administration is holding him back from admitting the players he wants, messing with happy.  Other posters have said the opposite.  Some are implying the administration is not thrilled with the route of success (4ever's comments).  Sounds like they feel squirmy.

What I have read here and in the media is more about quantity than anything else.  MU has had one or two players on a team that were borderline.  The Alton Mason's of the world. Aaron Hutchins, so on and so forth.  Read some of the postings here and they suggest that the roster was given much more latitude in that area from a quantity perspective.

Of course, in reading this board one insider will say something and another one will say the exact opposite 10 minutes later. I only read what I read.    If Buzz's balls are being squeezed and we know its not money, its not budgets, its not conference, it must be off the court stuff or the players.  What else is left?

Chicos, you didn't answer the question and are now playing it off as "some of the postings here" suggest that.  You claimed it that it is being done differently under Buzz than previously... stand up for that statement if you think it is correct!

feedback