[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Inside MU Basketball season-ending episode  (Read 27646 times)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Inside MU Basketball season-ending episode
« on: March 29, 2012, 10:21:49 AM »
Watching Inside Marquette Bball .. Homer asks about the "Job openings" situation.

Buzz:

* I think this is a good thing .. if we win 7 games instead of 27, no one talks to me.
* Not having success, people talk about me getting fired.  Bruce Weber wins 73% of his games, he's fired.
* "Need to handle it the right way.  Search firms have taken over college athletics" ..
* I just tell the truth.  I do not have an agent.  Never been hired by a search firm.  But I know all of them, have relationships.  Am transparent.
* (That I'm a commodity means) Doing the right things, doesn't mean we're doing all the right things.
* Our success speaks for itself. 

Homer asks "So, you're at Marquette, you're happy, you'll get up the next morning..?"

Buzz: "I'm gonna do the same thing that I've always done.  If at some point in time, that's not the right thing to do, then I think I'll have peace one way or the other about the right thing to do.  That's not the answer, I apologize, it's just the truth.  What I have said throughout my tenure here is the right thing, but to have this same conversation year in and year out, is that really fair to MU and the people who care?  I've went to work every day that I've been here, except 4 days in August when I leave town.  I think that speaks for itself."

---

The text is about as aloof as he was delivering it.     I know I'll get bashed for saying this, but I was hoping for a glimmer of joy there, that he's enjoying the job, looking forward. 

jsglow

• All American
Re: Inside MU Basketball season-ending episode
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 10:30:48 AM »
My read of that is that Buzz feels like 'already asked and answered'.  I would guess he grows tired of folks not believing him.  I really believe he'll spend his career at MU but that his time horizon for big time D1 coaching is 10 more years max.  Coach Al reborn. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 10:45:58 AM »
Watching Inside Marquette Bball .. Homer asks about the "Job openings" situation.

Buzz:

* I think this is a good thing .. if we win 7 games instead of 27, no one talks to me.
* Not having success, people talk about me getting fired.  Bruce Weber wins 73% of his games, he's fired.
* "Need to handle it the right way.  Search firms have taken over college athletics" ..
* I just tell the truth.  I do not have an agent.  Never been hired by a search firm.  But I know all of them, have relationships.  Am transparent.
* (That I'm a commodity means) Doing the right things, doesn't mean we're doing all the right things.

Homer asks "So, you're at Marquette, you're happy, you'll get up the next morning..?"

Buzz: "I'm gonna do the same thing that I've always done.  If at some point in time, that's not the right thing to do, then I think I'll have peace one way or the other about the right thing to do.  That's not the answer, I apologize, it's just the truth.  What I have said throughout my tenure here is the right thing, but to have this same conversation year in and year out, is that really fair to MU and the people who care?  I've went to work every day that I've been here, except 4 days in August when I leave town.  I think that speaks for itself."

---

The text is about as aloof as he was delivering it.     I know I'll get bashed for saying this, but I was hoping for a glimmer of joy there, that he's enjoying the job, looking forward. 

No bashing from me Topper. I think your read is, unfortunately, dead on. For Buzz, the joy has been sucked out of his job, the loyalty and trust violated. Unless the powers that be can "bring back that lovin' feeling" it's a matter of when, not if.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 10:49:01 AM »
I felt the same way as you two when I heard Buzz deliver it.  He seemed kinda sad, really.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 10:49:52 AM »
No bashing from me Topper. I think your read is, unfortunately, dead on. For Buzz, the joy has been sucked out of his job, the loyalty and trust violated. Unless the powers that be can "bring back that lovin' feeling" it's a matter of when, not if.

Hopefully a deep run in next your's tournament will be the cure for what ails him!

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 10:50:51 AM »
maybe the cat needs to take off more than 4 days a year.

Rubie Q

• Starter
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 10:53:18 AM »

Buzz:

---

When was this show recorded? Tuesday morning/afternoon, before the joint statement was released, right?

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 10:54:28 AM »

The truth is that we will have this conversation every year, year-in and year-out IF the team and Buzz remain successful.  YES, Buzz it is fair to MU and all of us who care.  I am not sure how we can prevent his name from being mentioned for job openings except when the team loses.  It is just something I have to deal with and hope the powers that be at MU reach the right judgement.  

I know the vast majority of MU's fan base is happy with the coach and the team he has put together.  I would've liked him to say what he said last year, "don't mess with happy" but we didn't get that.  I hope he is able to continue to have the same drive and energy going forward and push the program on to bigger and better things.  Over time I hope he and the Domer get to like each other.  

Lenny can you explain to me how Buzz's loyalty and trust were violated?

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 10:54:48 AM »
When was this show recorded? Tuesday morning/afternoon, before the joint statement was released, right?

True, maybe he and Larry made some good progress and kissed and made up after the show was taped.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 10:55:52 AM »
I hope he takes a week this Spring to relax and take in the success he has had.  Four days off is not enough for what he does.

There is an easy cure to keep him here, keep getting the solid recruits and land a blue chipper and he is looking at the potential for some major runs in 2013/2014.  

However, I do think 2012-2013 will be a down year, middle of the pack, trying to get into the NCAA's type of year.  I'd love for a great season, but I think it will be more like Hayward's final year.  We will need some late wins to get into the NCAA's.  

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 10:58:36 AM »
Saw that when it aired, and thought that was a really uncomfortable moment, especially given the timing.

Almost makes me think the "He's staying/leaving" back and forth from Sunday afternoon on was legit.

Rubie Q

• Starter
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 11:03:53 AM »
Saw that when it aired, and thought that was a really uncomfortable moment, especially given the timing.

Almost makes me think the "He's staying/leaving" back and forth from Sunday afternoon on was legit.

Emphasis on the "almost," yes?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 11:05:54 AM »
I really wonder about the LW hire. He is a football guy and obviously we are not a football coach. Really hope that either LW learns the importance of ball or we move a different direction at AD. Buzz was put in tough situation with the new hires and that takes time to adjust. Good news is that we have a year to see if they can figure it out.

If Buzz did not want to be here he had every opportunity to leave in the past week. He is here because he wants to be. This is not a guy that couldn't find a job if he wanted to leave. Keep the faith guys...situation will continue to evolve and hopefully in the right direction.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2012, 11:08:35 AM »
So, he didn't wax on about how his feelings were hurt by the AD having the audacity to be quoted in an article, and how distraught he was that Larry Williams and Father Pilarz are really double secret agents, bent on destroying MU basketball, and turning us
into--GASP!-- SLU??

Again, I am simply STUNNED, SHOCKED, BLOWN AWAY, that literally nothing happened.  Nothing.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2012, 11:08:56 AM »

I know it's not in Buzz's nature... but this would help.

Larry Williams might be an idiot, but his remarks about Buzz being high strung were accurate.

I love the guy, but for longevity's sake, he might need to pump the breaks a little once in a while.

He's of no value to MU (or any other school) if he is burned out and hates what he is doing everyday.

Rubie Q

• Starter
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2012, 11:11:03 AM »
So, he didn't wax on about how his feelings were hurt by the AD having the audacity to be quoted in an article, and how distraught he was that Larry Williams and Father Pilarz are really double secret agents, bent on destroying MU basketball, and turning us
into--GASP!-- SLU??

Again, I am simply STUNNED, SHOCKED, BLOWN AWAY, that literally nothing happened.  Nothing.

I guess I don't understand where this sentiment is coming from. That can't be the end-game for Fr. Pilarz and Larry Williams. SLU is much too good at basketball. We'd be Holy Cross, at best.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2012, 11:15:25 AM »
I really wonder about the LW hire. He is a football guy and obviously we are not a football coach. Really hope that either LW learns the importance of ball or we move a different direction at AD.

Exactly! Just like how Larry screwed University of Portland up (for the past 7 years) because he was too focused on their football team.

/googles University of Portland
// realizes they don't have football
///Thanks Ammo

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2012, 11:18:10 AM »
Yup, let's double down on the stupid, shall we?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2012, 11:26:01 AM »
I smell another 100 page thread coming....in 3-2-1...

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2012, 11:56:26 AM »
link to watch?

96warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2012, 12:08:28 PM »
into--GASP!-- SLU??

This, totally. Buzz has never been a guy to wax on poetically about anything. He's face value, and I'd attribute any perceived irritation to being annoyed at being asked the same question every dang year when he's done nothing to indicate he might be bailing. Said in the Thread That Was Epic that Buzz probably did have a conversation with SMU, because he does not have an agent and seems the kind of guy who would take any conversation just to be polite. Similarly, he answers every email he gets just to be polite.

If he really had no intention at all of leaving MU, he must be sick to death of being asked constantly if he's going and then get bombarded by emails about it as well. He probably just wants this to die down so he can get back to work.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2012, 12:27:59 PM »
Guys, just a note, let's keep this thread to rational discussion, ok?   

If you need to be crazed, there's a thread for that.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2012, 12:36:55 PM »
Again, I am not going to read anything into the Homer show. If Buzz wanted to leave he had every opportunity to bolt the past 72 hours. The man is highly regarded and does not need to be here if was unhappy. Either things get mended over next year or he is gone. I am betting things get fixed.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2012, 12:46:24 PM »

This was my thought after the Butcher, Baker, Candlestick maker comments. The guy appears to be exhausted. I don't care if you take days off, but shooting for a solid 8 hours of sleep one night now that the seasons over sounds like a good idea.

I realize being a certifiable nut is a prerequisite for the job of college head coach, but I honestly don't know how the guy stays upright.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2012, 12:47:11 PM »
It is as simple as this.

There are 2 new sheriffs in town.  They don't like what happened last year (2011).  They told Buzz so.  

He is learning the new rules.  Hope they all learn to get along.  

If they don't learn to get along, BOT has the new sheriff's backs, and so do many well heeled alums.  If you don't believe that, look at who is on the BOT.

I love Buzz.  I think many of the issues from this year were blown way out of proportion, but in the light of what happened last year, BOT wants this stuff to stop.

feedback