Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MUDPT
[Today at 07:05:44 AM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[May 31, 2024, 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[May 31, 2024, 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Support Buzz  (Read 19457 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Support Buzz
« on: March 26, 2012, 05:16:40 AM »
The more I hear, the more it sounds like Buzz may not be around. One of the things that could help keep him here is imploring administration to do what it takes to keep Buzz happy. If anyone hasn't done so yet, here are some email addresses of people that would be involved in making this decision.

Larry Williams athleticdirector@marquette.edu or lawrence.williams@marquette.edu
Father Pilarz scott.pilarz@marquette.edu

Personally, I don't think Marquette could make a bigger mistake than letting Buzz go. I know the school and program would go on, but we have a chance to reach heights not many programs reach. If we can make a difference, isn't it worth taking 5 minutes to email these guys and let them know you support keeping Buzz?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

DCWarriors04

• All American
Re: Support Buzz
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 05:25:04 AM »
Completely agree with you Brew, but before we all start sending emails it may be best for someone to put together a blanket email that we can all copy, paste, and send. Last year when Matt Painter was tempted by Missouri, one of their sports blogs drafted an email for alumni and fans to send to their president and AD in support of Matt Painter.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 05:40:59 AM »
How does this look? Feel free to add suggestions or comments...I know I can tend to be long-winded:

-----
----------
-----

In the past few days, it has come to light that Buzz Williams may be leaving Marquette. In my opinion, this would be a huge mistake by the administration. Marquette is identified publicly by its men's basketball program more than anything else. Having a strong, recognizable, affable face of the program is an absolute necessity.

In college basketball, success is built through continuity. When the right coach ends up at the right institution, truly special things can happen. It worked out that way once before at Marquette under Al McGuire. It has worked out at other schools like Duke and Michigan State, neither of which were traditional powers before the arrivals of their current coaches. And for the first time since Al, Marquette has a coach it could work out like that for, one that is not only loved by the fanbase and players but also seems to genuinely love being here.

I implore you do to everything in your power to retain Buzz Williams as Marquette's head men's basketball coach. Donations to Marquette and new student applications are directly tied to the success and visibility of our basketball program, and Buzz has shown the potential to bring that program to consistent heights not seen in over three decades. With two Sweet 16s already under his belt and numerous high-level recruits already verbally committed to or interested in playing for Marquette in the coming years, Marquette has a chance to move back into the limelight as a national basketball power for the first time since Al McGuire retired.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 06:01:43 AM »
The whole thing will come down to how Buzz feels overall with his role as coach at Marquette University and his relationships with his superiors at Marquette.  He has everything at his disposal to be successful at his job, but it's those relationship things that are much more complex than any of us know and how do you change those once they've been started?  Buzz will either want to remain at Marquette or if things aren't going well on a personel level, he'll move on and I think it's really that simple.  The media negativity in Milwaukee doesn't help right now either, IMHO.

If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

muguru

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 06:43:31 AM »
The whole thing will come down to how Buzz feels overall with his role as coach at Marquette University and his relationships with his superiors at Marquette.  He has everything at his disposal to be successful at his job, but it's those relationship things that are much more complex than any of us know and how do you change those once they've been started?   Buzz will either want to remain at Marquette or if things aren't going well on a personel level, he'll move on and I think it's really that simple.  The media negativity in Milwaukee doesn't help right now either, IMHO.

How do you change it?? Very simple....You remove the cancer(LW) before it spreads, and affects the rest of the body(MU Athletics). No relationship issues then.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

seinfeld

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 07:01:45 AM »
no thanks

SERocks

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 07:56:29 AM »

How do you change it?? Very simple....You remove the cancer(LW) before it spreads, and affects the rest of the body(MU Athletics). No relationship issues then.

If relationship issues are the problem, then emails to LW won't help.  Seems to me emails to the Board of Trustees would be more pertinent.  BWDIK?

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 07:57:47 AM »
How does this look? Feel free to add suggestions or comments...I know I can tend to be long-winded:

-----
----------
-----

In the past few days, it has come to light that Buzz Williams may be leaving Marquette. In my opinion, this would be a huge mistake by the administration. Marquette is identified publicly by its men's basketball program more than anything else. Having a strong, recognizable, affable face of the program is an absolute necessity.

In college basketball, success is built through continuity. When the right coach ends up at the right institution, truly special things can happen. It worked out that way once before at Marquette under Al McGuire. It has worked out at other schools like Duke and Michigan State, neither of which were traditional powers before the arrivals of their current coaches. And for the first time since Al, Marquette has a coach it could work out like that for, one that is not only loved by the fanbase and players but also seems to genuinely love being here.

I implore you do to everything in your power to retain Buzz Williams as Marquette's head men's basketball coach. Donations to Marquette and new student applications are directly tied to the success and visibility of our basketball program, and Buzz has shown the potential to bring that program to consistent heights not seen in over three decades. With two Sweet 16s already under his belt and numerous high-level recruits already verbally committed to or interested in playing for Marquette in the coming years, Marquette has a chance to move back into the limelight as a national basketball power for the first time since Al McGuire retired.

Copied.  Pasted.  Sent with my own addendum.  Thanks for putting this together, I hope others follow through as well.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 08:02:15 AM »
Think about Buzz's speach about the baker..... and how Buzz talked about his wife. Think about what this means. Buzz's wife is not happy.

seinfeld

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 08:03:49 AM »
that's a shame

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 08:08:00 AM »
Agreed, but it's also money.  Down here in the south there is a pure "spend what it takes to bring a coach in to win," mentality in sports. If someone throws an extra million or two a year at him, that's a lot of long-term security for the family in an unstable profession.  Go to a school where the expectation is very low, there is also greater long-term security.

Really hope he stays, but hope there isn't a reaction against him if he makes even more money at MU.
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 08:13:24 AM »
Agreed, but it's also money.  Down here in the south there is a pure "spend what it takes to bring a coach in to win," mentality in sports. If someone throws an extra million or two a year at him, that's a lot of long-term security for the family in an unstable profession.  Go to a school where the expectation is very low, there is also greater long-term security.

Really hope he stays, but hope there isn't a reaction against him if he makes even more money at MU.

First, if it's money, I'd be shocked. Marquette has the 2nd highest budget in college basketball. There's absolutely no reason anyone should outspend us for a coach we want to keep. If Buzz is offered 3, we should give him 3.5. If he's offered 4, give him 5. We don't have football to spend on. Pay to keep him.

And if it's a reaction, I'm pretty sure it won't be against Buzz. Personally speaking, at least, I wouldn't be upset with Buzz for leaving as much as I would be with the administration for allowing it to happen.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 08:14:07 AM »
Think about Buzz's speach about the baker..... and how Buzz talked about his wife. Think about what this means. Buzz's wife is not happy.
What is this The Soprano's finale? He wasn't sending clues after beating Murray State.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2012, 08:16:06 AM »
As far as we know, MU is trying to retain Buzz.

REALITY CHECK:

EVERYBODY reading the board, consider what is happening. We have TWO (unknown) posters who are saying the MU administration has problems with Buzz.

The only FACTS we have about a strained relationship are some less than perfect quotes in the paper from LW, and IWB's post which included a broad statement about "relationships".

Maybe we are making something out of nothing, no?

The facts are:
- MU spends big on hoops.
- The BOT supports hoops (for the most part).
- The current president has hoops roots (georgetown).
- The current AD was hired by the President and BOT and has "revenue producing" athletics background coming from ND, a school that has a great understanding of using athletics to promote the school.

I'm sorry, but the rumors about the "new admin" repeatedly coming from these 2 posters (goose and MUguru) just don't match the facts that we know.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2012, 08:19:13 AM »
As far as we know, MU is trying to retain Buzz.

REALITY CHECK:

EVERYBODY reading the board, consider what is happening. We have TWO (unknown) posters who are saying the MU administration has problems with Buzz.

The only FACTS we have about a strained relationship are some less than perfect quotes in the paper from LW, and IWB's post which included a broad statement about "relationships".

Maybe we are making something out of nothing, no?

The facts are:
- MU spends big on hoops.
- The BOT supports hoops (for the most part).
- The current president has hoops roots (georgetown).
- The current AD was hired by the President and BOT and has "revenue producing" athletics background coming from ND, a school that has a great understanding of using athletics to promote the school.

I'm sorry, but the rumors about the "new admin" repeatedly coming from these 2 posters (goose and MUguru) just don't match the facts that we know.

Personally, I particularly like the notion on the other thread that LW is trying to downgrade the basketball program. That's the job of the AD, right? To make the athletic programs worse?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2012, 08:20:29 AM »
2002...please remember Goose has been saying this for quite some time and everybody sided with BigDaddy. I have no hidden agenda. I want to Buzz to stay as much as anyone on this board. Further, my comments have been made based off credible conversations with credible people. You can dismiss me all you want, please remember that I brought this up prior to any newspaper quotes or rumors surfacing.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2012, 08:23:39 AM »
I believe the thought process of the school and AD is to bring basketball back to reality. We have spent a bundle and may have reached the bar in some people's eyes. If that is the case we could have a lower budget and have a lower profile coach. I understand that way of thinking, may not agree with it, but do get it.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2012, 08:31:26 AM »
2002...please remember Goose has been saying this for quite some time and everybody sided with BigDaddy. I have no hidden agenda. I want to Buzz to stay as much as anyone on this board. Further, my comments have been made based off credible conversations with credible people. You can dismiss me all you want, please remember that I brought this up prior to any newspaper quotes or rumors surfacing.

Fine, but forgive me for being skeptical. What you are saying doesn't match what we KNOW.

If I believe what you are saying, I have to believe the following:

- Pilarz doesn't support using hoops to create revenue, even when MU is adding a sports team (Lacrosse)
- L. Williams either lied in his interview with the BOT, or the BOT suddenly doesn't care about hoops and didn't ask him.
- L. Williams and Buzz don't get along (buzz is pretty blunt about his players, Larry was pretty blunt about Buzz. The quotes don't bother me).
- In 6-9 months, Pilarz and LW have decided to change the entire approach to MU athletics, which is basically taking the school in an entirely new direction
- Dick strong is signing off on this new approach

Seems like some big jumps for me when reading an anonymous poster on the internet.

Feel free to rub my fat face in this if you are right.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 08:34:02 AM by 2002MUalum »

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2012, 08:32:46 AM »
I believe the thought process of the school and AD is to bring basketball back to reality. We have spent a bundle and may have reached the bar in some people's eyes. If that is the case we could have a lower budget and have a lower profile coach. I understand that way of thinking, may not agree with it, but do get it.

So I'm to understand that the AD and university president have decided to cut back revenue from the basketball team by cutting costs but its all going to work out so they can continue to deliver enough revenue to all the sports like the new lacrosse team without issue?  Unless there is something I'm missing here, this is insanity.  Did Buzz piss in LW's cornflakes?  It doesn't make any sense to reduce the visibility of the basketball program, that's roughly 78% of why the university is known.  Maybe this makes sense 10 years from know after Buzz has won a ton and things like the College of Engineering are turning out amazing students with their revamped program, but now would be absolutely the wrong time to rock this boat.

Do LW and Pilarz not get exactly how beloved Buzz is with the fan base?  I don't understand what would drive them to push him out if that is indeed the case

Oh and 63.4% of statistics are made up on the spot.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2012, 08:35:52 AM »
The only reason I'm not totally dismissing this whole thing out of hand is I did have a conversation with a classmate who works pretty high up on the business side of MU and presented a great deal of apathy toward the basketball program, basically saying that money could be better spent on academics.  I'm hoping that isn't the general attitude at MU admin but if it is I could see how that could fertilize such a debacle as might happen if Buzz is pushed out and that's the only way I could interpret his going to SMU
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2012, 08:37:49 AM »

I never believe someone who refers to themselves in the third person. Jimmy doesent like that.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2012, 08:41:04 AM »
2002...All I have said is Buzz has been unhappy, have not provided specifics. I would say that my posts are at least being partially valid. I believe the new administration believes that the program has decent chance of being successful wih less money thrown it's way. In addition, in light of Penn State events school's are erroring on side of caution. If Buzz gets outed for his dance it is evidence to me the school is highly concerned with image.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2012, 08:50:13 AM »
The only reason I'm not totally dismissing this whole thing out of hand is I did have a conversation with a classmate who works pretty high up on the business side of MU and presented a great deal of apathy toward the basketball program, basically saying that money could be better spent on academics.  I'm hoping that isn't the general attitude at MU admin but if it is I could see how that could fertilize such a debacle as might happen if Buzz is pushed out and that's the only way I could interpret his going to SMU
FWIW - In Hartford, at the pre-UConn game reception, during the question & answer session someone asked Larry Williams if the school would consider football with the changing NCAA landscape.  Larry Williams answered with "As Father Pilarz always says if you have $250mil you wish to donate towards restarting football then we will definitely consider doing."  Then he made a comment 30 seconds later that he tried to presented in a humorous manner and said "Although I think he would rather spend that amount of money on some other things."

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2012, 08:50:39 AM »
2002...All I have said is Buzz has been unhappy, have not provided specifics. I would say that my posts are at least being partially valid. I believe the new administration believes that the program has decent chance of being successful wih less money thrown it's way. In addition, in light of Penn State events school's are erroring on side of caution. If Buzz gets outed for his dance it is evidence to me the school is highly concerned with image.

Can you provide some specifics other than "Buzz is unhappy"?

We have some cryptic quotes and your posts so far as "evidence". Again, this just isn't adding up for me.

AND if MU is trying to be more cautious with it's image and athletic department, GOOD. Buzz should get on board. Buzz has done a great job in his 4 years, but the off the court image could be better. If Buzz goes to SMU because of that, then good luck to him.

Buzz is great at his job, and I like him. But, he's not a 20 year head coaching veteran. He's been a head coach for 4 years at MU. He can and should still improve, on and off the court. I have no problem with LW and Pilarz working with him on that. If that is making Buzz grumpy, then he just needs a vacation, not a new job.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2012, 08:54:26 AM »

If your classmate is "pretty high up" and doesn't understand how the department functions at all then we do have incompetent administration.  The budget relies on donor money.  They can't expect to tell big donors they want to use their money differently (on academics instead of men's basketball) and expect it to still come in.  So if they want to spend less, they want less money from donors.  Why would they tell donors who are giving them money to donate less?  Completely illogical. 

Think of it this way: you are in school.  Your rich uncle is really into cars, and he wants to buy you a Mercedes.  You don't appreciate cars, so you tell him to buy you a Prius and spent the test on your tuition.  Your uncle did not intend his gift to be cash, he intended it to be a nice car.  Since you couldn't indulge in his passion you're now taking the bus.  And your academics are actually worse off than if you'd taken his offer because you've put yourself on a bus schedule instead of using your Mercedes to get to school.

feedback