Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Support Buzz  (Read 19401 times)

cheebs09

• All American
Re: Support Buzz
« Reply #75 on: March 26, 2012, 04:28:07 PM »
I walked past the Al and overheard Buzz say, "It's SMU, It's SMU" as he was walking out.

Although mostly there have been some rumors about Buzz not seeing eye to eye with the adminstration, Goose has posted a lot about that. IWB said that SMU asked for permission and MU granted it. He seemed pretty worried about the whole thing. Now, some posters are hearing that Buzz may be staying.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #76 on: March 26, 2012, 04:29:42 PM »
Somewhere along the line I may have missed the boat (wouldnt be the first time).  Could someone give me a quick synopsis about the comments that have been made to lead to this discussion or at least a link?

• Annual coaching carousel starts with seemingly ridiculous "Buzz to SMU" rumor
  • Rumor reported first by Goodman, who seems to be fairly close to Buzz, lending some credence
  • A few posters across the multiple boards claim they have heard from inside sources there is friction between Buzz and Larry Williams, and possibly he is being pushed out like Cottingham was
  • Reports of friction supported by an article written by known MU insider Jim "IWB" Ganzer on his brewcityball.com website; article also claims that "Buzz to SMU" is a legitimate possibility
  • Goodman confirms (was it through IWB?) that SMU has been granted permission by Marquette to speak to Buzz about their vacancy; for the record, I do not believe the Oregon, A&M, or Oklahoma rumors ever got to that point
  • Email campaign starts in hopes that multiple voices can help keep Buzz here
  • Sometime yesterday or today, it comes out that SMU has made an offer to buy Buzz out and increase his salary above $2.6M annually
  • In the past few hours, the rumors have cooled and it sounds like Buzz and LW are ironing out their differences
  • The posters with inside sources with exception of IWB have unilaterally come out to say Buzz will be staying
Hope that helps :)
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #77 on: March 26, 2012, 04:30:14 PM »
Somewhere along the line I may have missed the boat (wouldnt be the first time).  Could someone give me a quick synopsis about the comments that have been made to lead to this discussion or at least a link?

Don't bother.

But if we must: Some people on this board with too much time on their hands (and possibly a mild case of paranoid schizophrenia) have perpetuated rumors and wild speculation into think that Buzz is leaving for SMU. Among these reasons are: 1. New AD and new President hate Buzz. 2. Reaction to our lawless team and players' penchant to flaunt the law in saloons. 3. SMU has rich alumni! 4. New AD and new President don't want to spend money on the team and this will let them hire a less expensive coach because basketball should not be a priority.

It's nonsense. It's always been nonsense. And I regret every post I've made on the subject because I've done nothing but feed the trolls (yes, even this one.)

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #78 on: March 26, 2012, 05:10:16 PM »
This board is too sensitive about their coaches. First Crean is God. Then is the Devil. Buzz would never leave. Buzz is leaving.

If Buzz gets a contract bump, is it really different then the Crean years? Also, is there any doubt that the suspensions were a result of pressure from the admin, and not Buzz just being a really good mentor?

I like Buzz, but he is not perfect. I just can't wait for 5 years from now if Buzz leaves for Texas, our board will keep saying how horrible of a person he was that had the audacity to dance on the floor.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #79 on: March 26, 2012, 05:33:39 PM »
I just can't wait for 5 years from now if Buzz leaves for Texas, our board will keep saying how horrible of a person he was that had the audacity to dance on the floor.
Nobody will say that because it's not true. He's the real deal.

If Buzz left for Texas, the Longhorns would become my second favorite team.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #80 on: March 26, 2012, 05:52:30 PM »
And Lens, please call me Lenny :)

flickering neon
marquette's best education
was inside lenny's

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #81 on: March 26, 2012, 06:05:17 PM »
#SupportBuzz
#IStandWithBuzz
#SaveBuzz

ort5210

• Walk-On
« Reply #82 on: March 26, 2012, 06:48:43 PM »
  • Annual coaching carousel starts with seemingly ridiculous "Buzz to SMU" rumor
  • Rumor reported first by Goodman, who seems to be fairly close to Buzz, lending some credence
  • A few posters across the multiple boards claim they have heard from inside sources there is friction between Buzz and Larry Williams, and possibly he is being pushed out like Cottingham was
  • Reports of friction supported by an article written by known MU insider Jim "IWB" Ganzer on his brewcityball.com website; article also claims that "Buzz to SMU" is a legitimate possibility
  • Goodman confirms (was it through IWB?) that SMU has been granted permission by Marquette to speak to Buzz about their vacancy; for the record, I do not believe the Oregon, A&M, or Oklahoma rumors ever got to that point
  • Email campaign starts in hopes that multiple voices can help keep Buzz here
  • Sometime yesterday or today, it comes out that SMU has made an offer to buy Buzz out and increase his salary above $2.6M annually
  • In the past few hours, the rumors have cooled and it sounds like Buzz and LW are ironing out their differences
  • The posters with inside sources with exception of IWB have unilaterally come out to say Buzz will be staying
Hope that helps :)

Thanks! 

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #83 on: March 26, 2012, 10:18:54 PM »
If IWB has not yet weighed in we cannot dismiss the possibility. IWB has more contacts than Bausch & Lomb

Rubie Q

• Starter
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #84 on: March 26, 2012, 10:32:12 PM »
If IWB has not yet weighed in we cannot dismiss the possibility. IWB has more contacts than Bausch & Lomb

I think this used to be true. I do not think it is true anymore.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #85 on: March 27, 2012, 08:42:56 AM »
I think this used to be true. I do not think it is true anymore.

IWB still enjoys a great deal of access to MU coaches and players.  The only difference with IWB now is he is no longer affiliated with Scout or Dodds.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #86 on: March 27, 2012, 09:02:39 AM »
flickering neon
marquette's best education
was inside lenny's

Go away

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #87 on: March 27, 2012, 09:10:26 AM »
the haiku master
entertains us through the night
will never leave us
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Hamostradamus

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #88 on: March 27, 2012, 09:17:11 AM »
"ESPN -- is the one who told us what to do." - Boston College athletic director Gene DeFilippo

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #89 on: March 27, 2012, 12:10:09 PM »
Betrayed by Tom Crean
We were blessed with Brent Williams
In Buzz we trust. Word.
SS Marquette

The Special Brew

• Walk-On
« Reply #90 on: March 27, 2012, 01:09:57 PM »
Hmm...I love Buzz as a coach and think he reps Marquette damn well. I'd love to keep him. But at what cost, the school granted permission for SMU to talk to him. Buzz talked to them. Do we really have to do this every year?? As someone once said, "There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — You can't get fooled again." YEEAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!

If he wants to go or make power plays, let him go. I want him here, but I'm not willing to do this every year. And frankly, we shouldn't have to.

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #91 on: April 21, 2012, 10:52:43 AM »
If that's the case then Marquettes administration needs to grow some stones. Look, ND took a ton more heat than we did over an alleged assault that resulted in a SUICIDE! And the death of a volunteer with the football team. These were both tragedies far and away anything that's gone on at Marquette. Here's an idea...get some new PR people. Or, better yet, trust people to realize that the Chicago Tribune is a rag with plummeting subscription rates that is about 1/100th as influential as it thinks it is. Making a coaching change is just going to INCREASE focus on these ALLEGED incidents. The powers that be at ND have enough confidence in themselves, their institution and their constituents to realize these things happen. This is starting to feel like Marquette's infamous inferiority complex is rearing its pathetic head.

Save Buzz!

All newspapers are losing subscriptions.  Doesn't mean you can ignore them because their stories are picked up online and across the country on the wires depending on the story. 

For the stories that the Tribune did on Marquette and Notre Dame sexual assault scandals, last week the Chicago Tribune won a major newspaper award, top honor in the 2012 National Headliner Awards

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/ct-met-headliner-awards-0408-20120408,0,6730559.story

Tribune series on campus sex assaults honored
National Headliner Awards judges deem it best in show

April 8, 2012
Advertisement
Click here to find out more!

A Tribune series that led to reforms in how universities including Notre Dame and Marquette respond to reports of sexual assaults on campus has won the top honor in the 2012 National Headliner Awards.

The Tribune's 14-month investigation uncovered poorly handled investigations by campus police and revealed how administrators in many cases appeared to focus more on protecting their schools' reputations than in looking into the alleged attacks. In addition to changes in procedures at the schools, the stories prompted two federal investigations.

The series, by reporters Todd Lighty, Stacy St. Clair, Ryan Haggerty and Jodi S. Cohen, was named best of show among all newspaper entries and also won first place for education writing. The Headliner Awards are sponsored by the Press Club of Atlantic City.

Tribune reporters also were part of a first-place team in the broadcasting investigative reporting category for their work on "Pension Games," a series that examined how political deal-making has contributed to a financial crisis in Chicago and Illinois pension funds.

The Tribune's Jason Grotto, Ray Long and Jodi S. Cohen were honored along with WGN-TV's Mark Suppelsa and Marsha Bartel.

In addition, Tribune reporter Michael Hawthorne won third place for environmental writing for his reporting on the Great Lakes, the Chicago River and air pollution on Metra trains. 
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #92 on: April 21, 2012, 11:20:54 AM »
All newspapers are losing subscriptions.  Doesn't mean you can ignore them because their stories are picked up online and across the country on the wires depending on the story. 

For the stories that the Tribune did on Marquette and Notre Dame sexual assault scandals, last week the Chicago Tribune won a major newspaper award, top honor in the 2012 National Headliner Awards

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/ct-met-headliner-awards-0408-20120408,0,6730559.story

Tribune series on campus sex assaults honored
National Headliner Awards judges deem it best in show

April 8, 2012
Advertisement
Click here to find out more!

A Tribune series that led to reforms in how universities including Notre Dame and Marquette respond to reports of sexual assaults on campus has won the top honor in the 2012 National Headliner Awards.

The Tribune's 14-month investigation uncovered poorly handled investigations by campus police and revealed how administrators in many cases appeared to focus more on protecting their schools' reputations than in looking into the alleged attacks. In addition to changes in procedures at the schools, the stories prompted two federal investigations.

The series, by reporters Todd Lighty, Stacy St. Clair, Ryan Haggerty and Jodi S. Cohen, was named best of show among all newspaper entries and also won first place for education writing. The Headliner Awards are sponsored by the Press Club of Atlantic City.

Tribune reporters also were part of a first-place team in the broadcasting investigative reporting category for their work on "Pension Games," a series that examined how political deal-making has contributed to a financial crisis in Chicago and Illinois pension funds.

The Tribune's Jason Grotto, Ray Long and Jodi S. Cohen were honored along with WGN-TV's Mark Suppelsa and Marsha Bartel.

In addition, Tribune reporter Michael Hawthorne won third place for environmental writing for his reporting on the Great Lakes, the Chicago River and air pollution on Metra trains. 

And keep in mind the big issue on all of this was Marquette University's policy for handling sex assault allegations for decades.  See...it was the University that had the flawed policy, yet because there were basketball players involved, it became newsworthy and shone a light on the Administrations, Board of Trustees, etc., flawed policy.  It really shouldn't come as a surprise that a Jesuit/Catholic university has flawed policies on sex assault...as its been allowed for years within the Catholic church and its protection of many pedophile priests.  At least in the case of MU basketball players..the allegations were between male and female of consenting and similar age...a far cry from that which occurred for years in the Catholic church that went unpunished/unpublished.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #93 on: April 21, 2012, 11:43:42 AM »
Am I missing something or did someone just dig up a month old thread on sexual assaults?

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #94 on: April 21, 2012, 12:06:23 PM »
Am I missing something or did someone just dig up a month old thread on sexual assaults?

Nope.

Someone was just sharing how the MU/ND sexual assaults won a miraculous award for Newspaper Headliners over the National Enquirer and other checkout stand sensational periodicals.
SS Marquette

feedback