[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[May 01, 2024, 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Everlasting Craptastical Mystery Thread  (Read 507231 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: SMU Fans' Thread on Getting Buzz is Adorable
« Reply #1700 on: March 27, 2012, 11:43:12 AM »
Well let's speculate...

1. At least two non-seniors on the team don't return next year
2. No more JUCO's, even if they were valedictorian's of their high-schools
3. Good luck admitting anyone who can't get into the school of engineering.

My guess is it's more along the lines of
1) Do  more to keep your players out of the police blotter
2) Dish out appropriate discipline when your efforts on part 1 fail

Not altogether unreasonable.

Clarence

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #1701 on: March 27, 2012, 11:44:07 AM »
I assume that most of the team leaves if Buzz leaves.  The only sure bets to stay are Jamil Wilson, and Jake Thomas.  Everyone else could and proabably would leave.  

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #1702 on: March 27, 2012, 11:44:30 AM »
Sultan
Of course the program is both on and off the court. If last years or this years issues are major they should fire him. If not, which I believe, let the man do his job. If last years mess was so major they should have came clean then and fired the coach. If there was mutual coverup all parties are quilts as charged.

I highly doubt t he players in question would have played this year if school felt it was a risk. I believe this is running scared and doing so because they are worried it could happen again.
The risk is in the future incidents, if players on the team are apt to make mistakes in the future, I can see them getting Larry Williamsed.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1703 on: March 27, 2012, 11:44:40 AM »
Why would we have to recruit to Northwestern or ND standards? They are far away better schools than Marquette.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #1704 on: March 27, 2012, 11:44:45 AM »

I wish that were it, as I agree, it is not unreasonable.  Can't though, imagine a standoff over that.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #1705 on: March 27, 2012, 11:45:09 AM »
Ummm, you really think all of our players will stay? You think our recruits won't follow? SMU isn't in the Big East until next year, so Buzz could take current players with him. Imagine facing SMU in 2013-14, and their starting lineup is Duane Wilson, Vander, Davante, Steve Taylor, etc.

IF the Big East doesn't forbid transfers to programs joining the conference the very next year,  Vander and Devante' would certainly be prohibited from transferring to SMU as a condition of their release.  Steve Taylor would likely get an unconditional release.  Duane Wilson can still go wherever he wants to go.  I doubt many of our players would stick around and I wouldn't blame them one bit for leaving, but none are going to SMU, Big East schools, or UW.  Depending on who the replacement would be, Jamil Wilson could also stay next year, graduate, and play his final year elsewhere if he chose to.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1706 on: March 27, 2012, 11:45:24 AM »
HAHAHAHAAHAHA....take a chill pill bro. Man this thread has gotten out of hand. Buzz still ain't goin' anywhere.

+1

Buzz will be our coach next year.

Hamostradamus

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #1707 on: March 27, 2012, 11:45:35 AM »
Those kids will NOT be going to SMU with him.  Those guys don't even know what SMU is and when they figure out what their basketball program is, they'll decline.

Well, since SMU will be on our schedule after next season, I am pretty sure the players know about it. Would you leave to play for Buzz if the alternative was staying to play for a coach you never met?
"ESPN -- is the one who told us what to do." - Boston College athletic director Gene DeFilippo

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1708 on: March 27, 2012, 11:45:52 AM »
Ummm, you really think all of our players will stay? You think our recruits won't follow? SMU isn't in the Big East until next year, so Buzz could take current players with him. Imagine facing SMU in 2013-14, and their starting lineup is Duane Wilson, Vander, Davante, Steve Taylor, etc.

Hypothetically speaking,* if a current player on a Big East team wanted to transfer to SMU, could he be stopped because he would not be eligible to play until a year from now when SMU is a member of the Big East?  I seem to recall there was a "no transfers to other Big East schools" rule in effect.  Not sure how this would apply for a team that is not currently in the Big East.

*Still not convinced Buzz or any players are going anywhere.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1709 on: March 27, 2012, 11:46:57 AM »
I wish that were it, as I agree, it is not unreasonable.  Can't though, imagine a standoff over that.

Actually, I can.
I definitely can see Buzz thinking "After all I've done here for four years, a couple of new guys are going to come in and tell me how to handle my kids?"

We've got massive egos at work here.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #1710 on: March 27, 2012, 11:47:14 AM »
Problem with this is that you figure he's gone one way or the other.  Maybe not this year, but I would imagine he's a goner when the next legit job opens.

I can see this as the most likely scenario.  I still think he's here for the next year and then he's gone.  He's repeatedly made comments about Junior (more so than any other player).  I see Buzz gone after Junior graduates and to a much better basketball school than SMU.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1711 on: March 27, 2012, 11:47:30 AM »
You guys realize that all of these posters with "sources" originally said Buzz was leaving, then yesterday he was staying, and now he is leaving again.

These "sources" seem to know as much as everyone else which is nothing.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #1712 on: March 27, 2012, 11:47:47 AM »
Well, since SMU will be on our schedule after next season, I am pretty sure the players know about it. Would you leave to play for Buzz if the alternative was staying to play for a coach you never met?

You're assuming it's one or the other

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #1713 on: March 27, 2012, 11:48:04 AM »
Any news on the meeting with the playerz this morning??

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #1714 on: March 27, 2012, 11:48:38 AM »
The terms are probably real simple....recruit ND or Northwestern type kids. If I were Buzz I could call their bluff big time....don't want me, can me!!! If they can him it would expose whatever they are pissed off about. My guess they are pissed off about the assault incident.

My biggest problem on the whole mess is that damage has been done. Another example of bumbling around and poor PR by school. LW should be making some sort of statement, either pro Buzz or throw his ass out of town.

Hold on, what does "ND/Northwestern type kids" mean? White guys?

We don't know anything about what MU is asking Buzz to do.

I like Buzz a lot, but it's not unreasonable for a University to ask the coach to keep the off the court issues to a minimum. That doesn't mean they are suddenly handcuffing him and making him recruit all white valedictorians.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1715 on: March 27, 2012, 11:50:55 AM »
You guys realize that all of these posters with "sources" originally said Buzz was leaving, then yesterday he was staying, and now he is leaving again.

These "sources" seem to know as much as everyone else which is nothing.

I'm not sure that is entirely true, but I'm having a hard time keeping up with current posts, much less looking back.  The primary person originally saying Buzz was leaving was Goose.  Then yesterday he started saying things were looking like he was staying.  I think he's "worried" now, but sticking with his Buzz is staying prediction.  Sultan and Freeport are the ones who today were saying that their sources are saying that he's likely gone.  Although both have since said that their sources are saying that he's been given a "accept or terms or you're free to go" offer.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #1716 on: March 27, 2012, 11:51:35 AM »

Bingo.

Hopefully cooler heads prevail here.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #1717 on: March 27, 2012, 11:51:47 AM »
Im pretty sure someone else had to have mixed those two before.  Reminds me of that Simpsons episode where Homer adds cough syrup and lights up the coctail calls it the flaming homer, than he goes to Mo who renames it the Flaming Mo and markets the crap out of it

Arnie was no stranger to guerilla marketing - he established himself as a brand without Tiger's dominance and Nike support. I am therefore disappointed hewould have stolen the laurels that rightly belonged to another. Very disappointed, in fact.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #1718 on: March 27, 2012, 11:52:29 AM »

I like Buzz a lot, but it's not unreasonable for a University to ask the coach to keep the off the court issues to a minimum. That doesn't mean they are suddenly handcuffing him and making him recruit all white valedictorians.

+1

restricting Buzz to " ND/Northwestern type kids" could be taken as a racist comment.

warthog-driver

• All American
Re: For you old school fans
« Reply #1719 on: March 27, 2012, 11:53:55 AM »
Speaking of Dick's drive in...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlarNcNFzLw

How the hell did you find that?? I can't believe I spent 5 minutes listening. The Dick's they reference is the Capital Hill location. I have been there at 2 am. Attracts quite a slice of humanity so the event related in the song is credible.

Ahoya06

• Team Captain
« Reply #1720 on: March 27, 2012, 11:54:37 AM »
For all the conspiracy theorists and fans of weird coincidences:

Crean left on the Tuesday evening preceding the Final Four.

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #1721 on: March 27, 2012, 11:55:29 AM »

It's not unreasonable, but do you actually think Buzz wants those things to happen? Policies will need to be put in place to minimize that risk going forward. Like it or not, GPA/ACT requirements would have an impact on recruiting grounds due to the quality of education kids are getting. Not necessarily racism, but in the ballpark.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #1722 on: March 27, 2012, 11:56:00 AM »
Anyone had a burger at the 4th Base?  5117 W. National.   Still as good as I remember?  Hard to beat.

By the way, I just fast forwarded from post number 57, where I left off last night, to now.

Looks like there is not any definitive word yet on the meeting, or Buzz's situation.  

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #1723 on: March 27, 2012, 11:57:07 AM »
For all the conspiracy theorists and fans of weird coincidences:

Crean left on the Tuesday evening preceding the Final Four.
Now THAT would get us to 500 pages easy.

warthog-driver

• All American
Re: Why ‘force’ so many threads into one?
« Reply #1724 on: March 27, 2012, 11:57:42 AM »
But didn't you see the way he raised his eyebrows after making the "The butcher, the baker, the candlestick maker" comment? And how many times did he tap his fingers on the desk...he's trying to communicate without letting everyone know! There must be something there!

*Begins looking at google images of Buzz for hidden clues*

like the hanoi hilton guys sending morse code eye blink messages!

feedback