collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Everlasting Craptastical Mystery Thread  (Read 498481 times)

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
Re: SMU Fans' Thread on Getting Buzz is Adorable
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2012, 09:11:52 AM »
some funny tweets about Buzz to SMU:

Twitter Tracker
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2012, 09:24:39 AM »

Twitter Tracker

I like this one

Rubie Q ‏ @Rubie_Q
SOURCE: SMU to offer Buzz Williams $1MM annual salary, plus mystery box.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2012, 09:27:48 AM »
Have fun reading this exercise in futility.

http://ponyfans.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=60597

It seems that two groups of candidates predominate:

1. The hottest young coaches in the game, i. e. Buzz, Chris Mack of Xavier, and Shaka Smart, or

2. Guys who couldn't hack it in their last job and got fired, i.e. Bruce Weber, Jeff Capel, and Doc Sadler.

I'm thinking its been a while since their last search.  On the positive side, they do have a fan's site with a discussion board.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

PonyFanz

• Walk-On
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2012, 06:50:12 PM »
Why does everyone think that SMU has a huge athletic budget? Last I heard, they were 98 million in the red for the past decade. Does anyone know why their fans think they can outbid 2.6 mill a year? Am I missing something?

Yes. You are missing something.  The school's athletic department is not paying June Jones salary to coach the football team.  If we were to hire Williams (which we know is a remote chance), the athletic department will not pay his salary or buyout.  How is this possible? Rich Alums!

Before we hired Jones, a group of rich alums agreed to contribute X dollars to pay for Jones' entire contract.  I am not positive, but they are probably paying for his staff.

If we hired Williams or another big name coach, the same process will be used.

While it is a small chance we get Williams, you should know:
1) the money won't be a problem if the alums decide he is worth it. It just wont.
2) Williams is from the Dallas area.  Texans have a way of finding their way home. I can't wait to get back.
3) Our arena is not good. It is great. The reason it is not getting torn down is it has a seating design that is no longer legal under modern building codes.  Once the $50m update is complete, it will be spectacular.  If we ever need a bigger venue, the Americna Airlines Arena is 10 minutes from campus. 
4)  After wallowing in guilt over the Death Penalty (we deserved it) for years, SMU decided to become a great, National University.  In addition to a $1.4B endowment, the Rich Alums paid something like $750m to build new buildings and to refurbish the old ones.  In addition, we will have an enormous, new Presidential library on campus. 

If we do or do not get Williams, we wish Marquette well (despite some good natured jokes at your expense). 

Peace

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2012, 07:03:59 PM »
oh crap, and a new Presidential library too, we are screwed....

an aside - you would think with all that money and a huge commitment to be a national player, you think could have possibly done a little better than June Jones?

chapman

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2012, 07:22:11 PM »
You would think the rich alums could pay for a plane so the team didn't have to fly commercial.  I'm sure recruiting trips are also a treat.

We've seen this before with DePaul two years ago...claim they're going to pay what they need to attract a big name, get blasted as the coaching search becomes a big joke to everyone (already happening), settle for a guy on the hot seat at his current job, continue to stink. 

If SMU wants a realistic hire that could be good for them, Tony Benford's number is probably only a few digits different from Buzz's, and he deserves a head coaching shot.

PonyFanz

• Walk-On
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2012, 08:25:58 PM »
oh crap, and a new Presidential library too, we are screwed....

an aside - you would think with all that money and a huge commitment to be a national player, you think could have possibly done a little better than June Jones?

After we got the DP, our idiotic Administration decided to go off the deep end.  Instead of fixing the problems and clearing out the bad apples, they decided to impose academic restrictions on recruiting that were insane.  We had to turn away recruits for "academic" reasons that would go to schools like ND and Duke.  Because of those restrictions, we simply could not compete for good players.  Remember Larry Johnson? He wanted to stay in Dallas at SMU. We turned him away!!!  In football and basketball, our teams were simply not competitive and finding good coaches became impossible. Alums stopped giving money b/c we didn't believe the school wanted to field competitive teams.

Fixing the problem took time and money. Football was the first priority.  We built a new stadium on campus and overpaid for Jones.  As part of his deal, June Jones required the administration to allow him to sign recruits with normal academic transcripts.  It has been a huge success as it got us out of C-USA.  While Jones won't lead us to a national title, the football program is stable and getting better.

Part 2 of the rebuild was basketball.  Basketball is always 2nd fiddle at SMU.  Nevertheless, we built a great BB practice facility and hired Doherty (a huge mistake).  Doherty improved recruiting but couldn't coach his way out of a wet paper bag.  Jf we spend $2m to hire a coach (Williams or others), it is a signal that BB will be a priority for the first time in 25 years.  If we need a charter plane, we will get one. 

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2012, 08:33:28 PM »
good luck to you guys.  

Oklahoma didn't get Buzz so you have to forgive that I'm not really worried about SMU.  Ya never know though.  (specially if Pilarz and the domer are squeezing Buzz)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 08:38:26 PM by Stone Cold »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2012, 08:33:59 PM »
Sorry SMU, the problem is...well...you're SMU. You aren't a destination job. You aren't a basketball power. Buzz didn't go to Oregon or Oklahoma, both of which have "rich alums" that make yours look like paupers. And he didn't go to Texas A&M, which not only has rich alums, it has a bigger athletic budget, a more rich basketball history, a better (current) conference, and oh...IT'S IN TEXAS TOO!!!

That's why we find this cute. Go for our assistants, they are realistic targets. Buzz didn't leave for jobs that are far bigger, far more successful, and far richer than yours. Maybe, maybe (at best) he'd leave for Texas. Not North Texas, not A&M, not Houston, but the actual Longhorns. And I highly doubt that, but maybe. Aside from UT, I think he might, MIGHT, listen to UCLA, UNC, Duke, Kansas, or Kentucky. That's it. That's the list. If you aren't one of those six jobs, don't even think about Buzz, because he ain't coming. Sorry, but SMU just isn't anywhere near that area code.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2012, 08:47:21 PM »
very well said brew. and exactly correct.

i lived in texas for ten years and couldnt wait to get out btw. but this is how they think. they think that  the world revolves around everything texas. luckily the rest of the country doesnt share that view

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2012, 08:54:39 PM »
This all reall dumb... No way in hell does he go to a school wiyhin his same conference.  In fact i would almost guarantee his conteact forbids it,

chapman

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2012, 08:57:16 PM »
(specially if Pilarz and the domer are squeezing Buzz)

Honestly I think it’s insane to think that Fr. Pilarz or Larry Williams would do anything other than find every way to continue to support Buzz.  Anything else would be career suicide.  The fan and alumni backlash would be extreme – the lack of support and lack of money coming into the athletics program AND the University would force the BOT to depose of them fairly quickly.  Pilarz might survive for awhile then move on elsewhere, Williams’ next AD job would be at Southeastern Montana Tech Community College – you build around your number one pillar for success, simple at that.  You think if Williams wants to be AD at Notre Dame, or USC, or any other “bigger” gig that they’d seriously consider the guy who couldn’t keep Buzz Williams at Marquette, or even worse was a reason for his departure?

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2012, 09:01:16 PM »
hope not, but I know they also don't want tickets, assaults coming from the b ball program and may make program policy changes that knowingly or not may irk Buzz.    Larry's awkward call out of Buzz after the WVU dance shows me that's possible. 

exercisevanity

• Walk-On
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2012, 09:44:33 PM »

i lived in texas for ten years and couldnt wait to get out btw. but this is how they think. they think that  the world revolves around everything texas. luckily the rest of the country doesnt share that view

So this is all really just a case of SMUg?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2012, 10:29:31 PM »
You know what's more adorable than SMU (or anyone else) thinking that they have a chance with Buzz.... MU fans who are still hedging their emotions in case he leaves.

Frankly, I'd rather be devastated and heartbroken if Buzz left than to half-ass support our coach his entire MU career.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2012, 11:12:21 PM »
hope not, but I know they also don't want tickets, assaults coming from the b ball program and may make program policy changes that knowingly or not may irk Buzz.    Larry's awkward call out of Buzz after the WVU dance shows me that's possible. 

Larry didn't say anything about Buzz's dance that Buzz didn't say about Buzz's dance.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2012, 11:13:04 PM »

Can you elaborate on Larry's awkward call out of Buzz after the WVU dance?  I didn't hear about that/see it, etc., but know that Buzz went way overboard (seemingly unnecessarily overboard) to apologize every chance/interview shortly thereafter that he could..
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

turk17

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2012, 12:02:19 AM »
Can you elaborate on Larry's awkward call out of Buzz after the WVU dance?  

Here's the article.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/goldeneagles/williams-settles-into-directors-chair-at-mu-vt4dgja-141323703.html

I didn't read it at the time.  It was probably discussed here on the scoop but...sort of strange responses by L. Williams.  Perhaps I just don't expect such candor from an AD?  Undecided on how I feel about it.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 12:15:47 AM by turk17 »

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2012, 06:17:17 AM »
Larry didn't say anything about Buzz's dance that Buzz didn't say about Buzz's dance.

I understand.  But it's one thing for your boss to take it to the papers how you can't do something when you already recognize it.   We're dealing with big egos here.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2012, 06:50:07 AM »

i lived in texas for ten years and couldnt wait to get out btw. but this is how they think. they think that  the world revolves around everything texas. luckily the rest of the country doesnt share that view

Austin is a cool city. I think Buzz would leave for the right job if he's unhappy. SMU is not the right job. But a Big 12 power....UT, Kansas, maybe

Edit...also I think/hope that he's not unhappy, but only he knows what's in his heart of hearts
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 06:51:41 AM by Victor McCormick »

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2012, 07:30:35 AM »
Austin is a cool city. I think Buzz would leave for the right job if he's unhappy. SMU is not the right job. But a Big 12 power....UT, Kansas, maybe

Edit...also I think/hope that he's not unhappy, but only he knows what's in his heart of hearts

Austin is a cool city to visit. I wouldn't want to live there long term. I see it a lot like Madison in it's political views and UT is a very liberal school. I don't pretend to know what buzz thinks, but I wonder if his conservative religious views makes him comfortable at Mu.

I think all the hand wringing about our coaches leaving is crap. MU is a top level job in (as of right now) maybe the highest profile basketball conference. Fans of the program should act like it is. Maybe that's why (some) of the media both national and local think of MU as stepping stone job because their own fan base feels that way.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2012, 07:54:59 AM »
Austin is a cool city to visit. I wouldn't want to live there long term. I see it a lot like Madison in it's political views and UT is a very liberal school. I don't pretend to know what buzz thinks, but I wonder if his conservative religious views makes him comfortable at Mu.

I think all the hand wringing about our coaches leaving is crap. MU is a top level job in (as of right now) maybe the highest profile basketball conference. Fans of the program should act like it is. Maybe that's why (some) of the media both national and local think of MU as stepping stone job because their own fan base feels that way.

How do you presume to know whether Buzz's religious views are liberal or conservative.

As for Austin, it is the best city to live in Texas.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2012, 07:58:44 AM »
Having degrees from Marquette and SMU I feel obligated to post on this issue.  SMU has a huge endowment but that doesn't mean they have anywhere near the basketball capabilities of Marquette.  If there is an athletic priority at SMU, it is without question to be a relevant football program again - and they are getting there.  I was there when they built the new football stadium on campus and it is an impressive facility, even when it's only 20% full.  Went to a few basketball games while I was there and got courtside seats for almost nothing on the day of the game.  Felt like being at a high school game.  

Benford going there is not the craziest idea.  If they want one of our assistants, Darrin Horn is available.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2012, 08:02:35 AM »
How do you presume to know whether Buzz's religious views are liberal or conservative.

As for Austin, it is the best city to live in Texas.

You have to actually read the post. What I said was, "I don't pretend to know what buzz thinks, but I wonder..."

Austin is a matter of taste you can't say definitively "it is the best city to live in" It would not be where i chose to live in Texas if I had to.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2012, 08:04:26 AM »
Here's the article.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/goldeneagles/williams-settles-into-directors-chair-at-mu-vt4dgja-141323703.html

I didn't read it at the time.  It was probably discussed here on the scoop but...sort of strange responses by L. Williams.  Perhaps I just don't expect such candor from an AD? Undecided on how I feel about it.

I just reread that.  I did read it when originally written.  I did see Larry speak in Hartford before the UConn game.  I don't know if I really see anything awkward in there?  It truly sounds like someone at a new job who believes he has some valuable experience to offer and just wants "to fit in" and share that and make sure others are aware it.  I took it mean that he said "Buzz is a great coach, but I personally can help him be even better."  Someone simply trying to fit at the new gig and be recognized.  My 2 cents.