collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Crean article on Yahoo sports  (Read 6198 times)

mileskishnish72

• All American
Crean article on Yahoo sports
« on: March 13, 2012, 10:22:10 AM »
Nice article on our former coach. I'm sure 4ever would lap it up.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
Re: Crean article on Yahoo sports
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 11:31:21 AM »
Nice article on our former coach. I'm sure 4ever would lap it up.

I nominate this for topic of the year.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 11:44:09 AM »
Now I say something about someone.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 11:44:42 AM »
That article almost brought tears to my eyes........I think I need a minute to regain my composure......

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 12:15:15 PM »
Here is the article   http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=lc-carpenter_indiana_tom_crean_turnaround_031212

19 F's among the players.  What a mess.  Give him his due.  A number of people here had him fired several times but he turned them around and cleaned up what looks like an enormous drug and academic mess. 
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

only a warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 12:27:00 PM »
Here is the article   http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=lc-carpenter_indiana_tom_crean_turnaround_031212

19 F's among the players.  What a mess.  Give him his due.  A number of people here had him fired several times but he turned them around and cleaned up what looks like an enormous drug and academic mess. 

+1.  Good luck to Crean (as long as he doesn't play the Warriors).  Never thought he'd clean that mess up before getting tossed

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 02:46:11 PM »
+1.  Good luck to Crean (as long as he doesn't play the Warriors).  Never thought he'd clean that mess up before getting tossed

+1, gotta give the guy his due.

JD

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 02:52:43 PM »
+1, gotta give the guy his due.

Love Crean and what he did for MQ  Hope he finds success in the Big?  and owns Bo for a long time.
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 03:03:07 PM »
Looks like he's done what was expected of him.  I'm sure the administration is happy.  While some like to mock him for his "It's Indiana!  It's Indiana!" quote, it's true.  It's a great job in a state filled with crazy talent.  There are a number of coaches in this country that could have stepped into Indiana's situation in 2008 and done extremely well.  Congrats to him.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 03:08:52 PM »
I'll give the cat credit, he can write a press release and get it published like no one else.  Phenomenal.  Fantastic.  Great.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 03:25:05 PM »
He reads autobiographies but discards those that come off "arrogant and self-congratulatory".  WTF? He never seemed capable of any genuine humor, but sometimes by accident....

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 07:10:35 PM »
I had no idea that the situation was THAT bad, ie. the grades and drugs. Congrats to Crean. UCLA could probably use him right about now.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 07:18:46 PM »
He's doing better this year than I though he would. He's definitely turned them around, but I'm interested to see if he gets them to the next level. When he finally got Indiana back, I figured he'd get them to the level Marquette was at (minus the Wade year), where we were a top 20 for the most part with marginal success in the tournament. He has a bunch of studs coming in next year, so it will be interesting to see how he does with all that talent.

Also, didn't they have a top 10 recruiting class one of his few years? It's not like he was devoid of talent after his first recruiting class. He got a fair amount of 4 and high 3 stars. Sounded like he's doing it with a bunch of high school water boys and then he got Zeller.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 07:58:42 PM »
I'll give the cat credit, he can write a press release and get it published like no one else.  Phenomenal.  Fantastic.  Great.

Without a doubt.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 08:00:37 PM »
He reads autobiographies but discards those that come off "arrogant and self-congratulatory".  WTF? He never seemed capable of any genuine humor, but sometimes by accident....

The phony is a self-centered stick in the mud.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2012, 10:47:30 PM »
I had no idea that the situation was THAT bad, ie. the grades and drugs. Congrats to Crean. UCLA could probably use him right about now.

I believe several insiders of IU here (one clearly is no longer a member) said it was THAT bad.  Norman Dale was the other.  Both, I'm sure, were treated righteously by other posters here for stating the truth.  ::)   
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

Coach Norman Dale

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2012, 03:12:29 AM »
I believe several insiders of IU here (one clearly is no longer a member) said it was THAT bad.  Norman Dale was the other.  Both, I'm sure, were treated righteously by other posters here for stating the truth.  ::)   

LOL.  You got that right, Hoopaloop -- back in Crean's early days at IU, if one posted supportive comments of our former coach on this board it was generally met with a barrage of abuse from a few posters.  Some of whom have still not moved on from that point.

As for where the IU program is now and my expectations back in Crean's first year in Bloomington, here is what I posted on this board on March 11, 2009:

"... like [redacted name of he whose name should not be mentioned  ;D], I expect big things.  (In fact, I have offered to bet many of my Purdue-supporting friends and relatives on the games in 2012; so far, I have not had a single taker.)

Keep in mind that this year's IU team was not without talent.  They were just extremely young and inexperienced.  They put forth the effort and hustle every night and progressed as the season went along.  It is a building process, and I like what I have seen so far." 

When I made that post in 2009, I expected the Hoosiers to make the NIT in 2010-11, and the NCAA tournament this year.  And as I said here recently, at no point in the time since Crean took the IU job was there any expectation or suggestion that he would be fired.  Hoosier fans understood the mess he inherited.

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2012, 01:36:08 PM »
LOL.  You got that right, Hoopaloop -- back in Crean's early days at IU, if one posted supportive comments of our former coach on this board it was generally met with a barrage of abuse from a few posters.  Some of whom have still not moved on from that point.

As for where the IU program is now and my expectations back in Crean's first year in Bloomington, here is what I posted on this board on March 11, 2009:

"... like [redacted name of he whose name should not be mentioned  ;D], I expect big things.  (In fact, I have offered to bet many of my Purdue-supporting friends and relatives on the games in 2012; so far, I have not had a single taker.)

Keep in mind that this year's IU team was not without talent.  They were just extremely young and inexperienced.  They put forth the effort and hustle every night and progressed as the season went along.  It is a building process, and I like what I have seen so far." 

When I made that post in 2009, I expected the Hoosiers to make the NIT in 2010-11, and the NCAA tournament this year.  And as I said here recently, at no point in the time since Crean took the IU job was there any expectation or suggestion that he would be fired.  Hoosier fans understood the mess he inherited.

IU probably would made the NIT last year if Creek doesn't go down.  You would have been on target.  Expectations will be big for you guys moving forward.  The redacted person you mention above told me that there is much that never even came out.  It was THAT bad and that is why your coach got extra years put on his contract so soon.  It was THAT bad.   He was right.  Congratulations on your bid.  I have you going out in the first round.   :P

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2012, 01:41:47 PM »
The real question is, who is the Yahoo article going to be about 5 years from now for cleaning up Syracuse's similar mess?

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2012, 09:16:21 AM »
+1.  Good luck to Crean (as long as he doesn't play the Warriors).  Never thought he'd clean that mess up before getting tossed

He was toast and in jeopardy there before he decided to indirectly send money to the Indiana AAU team.   Now he's got the talent he needs and I think he'll do some very good things there.    

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2012, 09:36:34 AM »
He was toast and in jeopardy there before he decided to indirectly send money to the Indiana AAU team.   Now he's got the talent he needs and I think he'll do some very good things there.    

Teal?  If you are serious, you couldn't be more wrong.  The Zellers are known throughout the state of Indiana has high integrity people.  Once they got Zeller, the rest was history.  No one bought off the Zellers.  That was his most important recruit of his IU career.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2012, 09:37:22 AM »

It wasn’t the supportive Crean comments that were a problem, (at leas t for me). It was the passive aggressive posts that attempted to undermine Buzz. IE: We have to give him 5 years, squirmy, can’t recruit a traditional,  free throws, Jucos, over promising, and on and on and on.

Good for Crean he is doing well, but he is gone, I have no rooting interest in IU and Marquette is thriving better without him. So hopefully it is a dead issue.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2012, 09:41:55 AM »

This. He "cleaned up the old mess" only to start his very own new one, but it's not hard to look at least relatively clean when you're standing in a police lineup next to Kelvin Sampson.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 09:51:15 AM by Lennys Tap »

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2012, 09:45:21 AM »
This. He "cleaned up the old mess" and started his very own new one, but it's not hard to look at least relatively clean when you're standing  in a police lineup next to Kelvin Sampson.

Now you sound like a Purdue fan.  Well done.   ;D   

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2012, 09:47:08 AM »
I don't think Crean will ever get caught and I'm not sure what he's doing is "illegal" but he's playing the game now in recruting.   As opposed to the first couple years when he couldn't get a sniff from a good/elite recruit.    

For IU fans they should be excited as those prospects funnel in.  Crean will get them to a FF, perhaps beyond imo.

feedback