Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Chris Jones?  (Read 18434 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Chris Jones?
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2012, 10:53:33 AM »
Maybe he gets sick of basketball.  Maybe he gets sicks of going to class.  Maybe he gets sick of the regimen associated with D1  basketball.  Maybe he doesn't want to be in the same place for 6 years. 

I think as of now, he's committed to the 6th year, otherwise, I don't think Buzz would have come out and said as much.  But it's perfectly reasonable to think that at some point he just decides "You know what, I'm good.  Time to move on."

I don't think I have ever heard of a high level D1 starter say that he's just sick of playing and wanting to move on.  I guess it can happen, but I doubt it.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2012, 10:54:00 AM »
Again if jones was eligible out of hs he could be a 1 year juco... Has it been established wether he was a 1 or 2 year guy?

Well, Parrish said he has one more year of JUCO to play (see OP).  I'll trust him until proven otherwise.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2012, 10:55:48 AM »
I am not big on recruiting guards under 6'. He is listed as 5'10", which probably means with shoes.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2012, 10:59:05 AM »
Apparently Parrish has been on this kid for a while now:

http://eye-on-college-basketball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/26283066/32373246

Sounds like a pretty cocky SOB... Let's get him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqgNmQsBwwA
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2012, 11:01:01 AM »
And that article clearly says 2013.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2012, 11:07:59 AM »
Can definitely see the benefit of getting a Juco point guard for 2013 rather than starting over with a freshman.  But ideally we'd also get Nunn in 2013 and a freshman point guard as well, either Duane Wilson or Jaylon Tate.  I think we will find two scholarships, not sure about three.  If we don't want to miss a beat, a point like Jones might be a good fit.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2012, 11:12:19 AM »
Can definitely see the benefit of getting a Juco point guard for 2013 rather than starting over with a freshman.  But ideally we'd also get Nunn in 2013 and a freshman point guard as well, either Duane Wilson or Jaylon Tate.  I think we will find two scholarships, not sure about three.  If we don't want to miss a beat, a point like Jones might be a good fit.

The collective heads of the posters on this board will explode if we "find" three schollies for 2013...

That being said, I don't think we "need" both Nunn and a freshman point. We will have guys who can run the point: DWill, Taylor, Mayo, Blue and Nunn. None of them really gets me excited, but I don't think its worth running guys out of town.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2012, 11:18:01 AM »

Well, IDEALLY we'd get Jabari Parker, but... ;D
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2012, 11:21:32 AM »
I think Buzz will try and stay away from Jucos in the future, it will be interesting to see if either jucos graduates or not.  I have been told no.  But give the kids the benefit of the doubt. The
2  seniors will get the highest paying jobs out of the senior class and that is good thing.  Unfortunately the NCAA wants kids to graduate, so does MU.

noblewarrior

• Starter
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2012, 11:25:11 AM »
I am not big on recruiting guards under 6'. He is listed as 5'10", which probably means with shoes.

'Flip' Pressy for Mizzu may be the best PG in the Country.  He's well under 5 ft.   Talent is talent.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 01:55:51 PM by noblewarrior »

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2012, 11:25:41 AM »
You're saying both DJO and Jae are not in line to graduate on time?  That would surprise me, especially DJO since he's been here for 3 years and was a full qualifier out of high school.  Unless of course it's because they leave school to focus on training and the draft.  I believe Jimmy did that last year, no?

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2012, 02:14:58 PM »
Jimmy did do that, but didn't he eventually graduate anyway? I am pretty positive that Jae will not make that decision. It's pretty foolish to assume that just because they are JUCO's they have less intelligence than the rest of the basketball players. That's a pretty awful thing to assume.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2012, 02:47:33 PM »
Jae has not gone through summer school for an entire summer either, so he may be behind the typical student/athlete. 
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2012, 02:55:13 PM »
Jae has not gone through summer school for an entire summer either, so he may be behind the typical student/athlete. 
I don't know if this would have anything to do with it, but his first JC year was at a non-accredited JC.  He transferred for year 2.  Obviously enough credits transferred, but I am guessing he was behind to start due to year 1.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2012, 03:02:12 PM »
I don't know if this would have anything to do with it, but his first JC year was at a non-accredited JC.  He transferred for year 2.  Obviously enough credits transferred, but I am guessing he was behind to start due to year 1.

That's the reason he wasn't here at all that first summer after he committed. He stayed at Howard to finish up his classwork so he was able to transfer into Marquette as a full junior. If he stayed on track, he should be ready to graduate.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU Avenue

• Team Captain
I do not intend to sound smart-alecky, Zmovieman
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2012, 03:12:27 PM »
Gary Parrish tweeted about possible involvement on JC prospect Chris Jones. Anyone know anything about him?

Zmovieman, you are sitting at a computer with the Internet surrounding you and you had to ask here if anyone knows anything about this mysterious Chris Jones?

Goodness, a simple search yielded numerous results and a bounty of information, even after narrowing the search to eliminate Chris Jones, the creative-but-somewhat-wacky chef who is heralded as one of the best cooks in Chicago.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2012, 03:17:42 PM »
I think Buzz will try and stay away from Jucos in the future, it will be interesting to see if either jucos graduates or not.  I have been told no.  But give the kids the benefit of the doubt. The
2  seniors will get the highest paying jobs out of the senior class and that is good thing.  Unfortunately the NCAA wants kids to graduate, so does MU.

I doubt Buzz will stay away from JUCO's in the future.  Actually think we will almost always have 1 JUCO on the roster.  Buzz's job is to get the best talent to MU, that will help the program win - and there is talent in the JUCO ranks...and Buzz has good inroads there.

Yes, the idea of all MU basketball players graduating is nice, but everyone's path to MU is different, as are their exits out of Marquette. And as you point out...if Jae and DJO don't graduate - they still will be the 2 highest paid kids in the senior class leaving MU this spring.  Being pro caliber good is a degree in and of itself.  These guys put in 1,000s of more hours developing their craft and profession than most typical college "graduates."  Plus, under Buzz they have likely learned a lot about the value of hard work and accountability...a communications degree in many cases isn't worth much more than the paper it is written on...let's not get carried away in the whole degree/graduation thing..
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2012, 03:19:17 PM »
Maybe he gets sick of basketball.  Maybe he gets sicks of going to class.  Maybe he gets sick of the regimen associated with D1  basketball.  Maybe he doesn't want to be in the same place for 6 years.  

I think as of now, he's committed to the 6th year, otherwise, I don't think Buzz would have come out and said as much.  But it's perfectly reasonable to think that at some point he just decides "You know what, I'm good.  Time to move on."

...maybe someone goes pro. Doubt it, but you're right; there are so many possibilities for what could happen.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2012, 03:25:48 PM »
I doubt Buzz will stay away from JUCO's in the future.  Actually think we will almost always have 1 JUCO on the roster.  Buzz's job is to get the best talent to MU, that will help the program win - and there is talent in the JUCO ranks...and Buzz has good inroads there.

Yes, the idea of all MU basketball players graduating is nice, but everyone's path to MU is different, as are their exits out of Marquette. And as you point out...if Jae and DJO don't graduate - they still will be the 2 highest paid kids in the senior class leaving MU this spring.  Being pro caliber good is a degree in and of itself.  These guys put in 1,000s of more hours developing their craft and profession than most typical college "graduates."  Plus, under Buzz they have likely learned a lot about the value of hard work and accountability...a communications degree in many cases isn't worth much more than the paper it is written on...let's not get carried away in the whole degree/graduation thing..

Are you classifying TJ Taylor as a JUCO then?  Because he is hardly the traditional JUCO (full qualifier that started at a four year school.)  If you don't count him, we will have zero on our roster next year and haven't brought one in since Jae.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2012, 03:29:40 PM »
...maybe someone goes pro. Doubt it, but you're right; there are so many possibilities for what could happen.
[/quote

I'm figurin' Blue goes to the Association for sure.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2012, 03:37:35 PM »

Are you classifying TJ Taylor as a JUCO then?  Because he is hardly the traditional JUCO (full qualifier that started at a four year school.)  If you don't count him, we will have zero on our roster next year and haven't brought one in since Jae.

But neither were DJO and Butler w/ their 3 years of eligibility. Will we use as many JUCOs as we did before? No, but its highly likely that we will continue to supplement them in if the program thinks they have as much potential as DJO, Butler and Jae.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2012, 03:50:23 PM »
'Flip' Pressy for Mizzu may be the best PG in the Country.  He's well under 5 ft.   Talent is talent.
I realize that, but they play a very good team pressing defense. In a half defense, unless you are strong like Dominc James a samll point guard is  going to be a defensive liability. Assuming you want to be a legimate contender for Big East title and final four, in my opinion, you need to stay away from pint size guards.

ZMovieman

• Walk-On
Re: I do not intend to sound smart-alecky, Zmovieman
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2012, 04:09:17 PM »
Zmovieman, you are sitting at a computer with the Internet surrounding you and you had to ask here if anyone knows anything about this mysterious Chris Jones?

Goodness, a simple search yielded numerous results and a bounty of information, even after narrowing the search to eliminate Chris Jones, the creative-but-somewhat-wacky chef who is heralded as one of the best cooks in Chicago.

Just wanted the board's thoughts on him is all. Sorry for any weird phrasing. Course I could have google'd him and did. Thought he justified his own thread.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2012, 04:18:59 PM »
But neither were DJO and Butler w/ their 3 years of eligibility. Will we use as many JUCOs as we did before? No, but its highly likely that we will continue to supplement them in if the program thinks they have as much potential as DJO, Butler and Jae.

But Taylor is even a little different since he went to a four year school first...but I see your point.

MU Avenue

• Team Captain
Forgive me, ZMovieman
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2012, 05:27:29 PM »
Just wanted the board's thoughts on him is all. Sorry for any weird phrasing. Course I could have google'd him and did. Thought he justified his own thread.

I wrote that I was not going to be smart-alecky, ZMovieman. Then I was smart-alecky.

You are absolutely free -- and encouraged -- to introduce discussion on any topic of your choosing. In fact, I love good ol’ conversation, debate and all other forms of human interaction, even if via computer.

Apologies for the unnecessary comment. I meant no disrespect.

Go Marquette!