[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bring back the Warriors!  (Read 5814 times)

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
Re: Bring back the Warriors!
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2012, 07:04:44 PM »
When the university decided to let us all vote on the name, I happened to come across Travis Diener, who was with the Pacers. I asked which name he voted for and he said, "Golden Eagles, of course. That's what I was."

(My write-in choice was The Marquette Blue.)

Anyway, as another poster said, it's time to move along. This old Warrior agrees.

Interesting story, but Diener was still at Marquette when this came up. And he admitted, on TV, that he preferred Warriors.

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2012, 07:12:36 PM »
Never gonna happen.

DCWarriors04

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2012, 07:13:20 PM »
Not to fuel this fire, but I never understood why we didn't keep the Warrior name, but remove any American Indian references.  "Warrior" doesn't necessarily refer to American Indians since tons of different cultures have had warriors.  Of course, we would have to come up with a culture-free mascot and logo, but at least we would have kept the name.  That said, this is a REALLY old issue and when i graduated (2004), the vast majority of students considered themselves eagles and not warriors (although there will always be a very vocal group of students who keep the warrior name alive).

Well, I'm glad to say I'm part of the minority then. I'm an '04 grad and the majority of the Marquette shirts I wear are Marquette Warriors' shirts. Golden Eagles in name, but Warriors at heart.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2012, 07:57:30 PM »

OK...fourth option.  Get the Sioux tribes to change its mind and agree to its usage like the Chippewa and Seminoles have. 

That's not going to happen though.

This pisses people off because of the heavy handed approach the school took, the hypocrisy of how the NCAA enforces this, and the stink of PC. 

The warrior mascot was fun, given the context of those times.  So was Blazing Saddles...but back in the day.  Admit it, you laughed at that movie when it first came out.

Willie wampum is not appropriate now.  But, to ban the name Warrior name, is overkill.  Warrior is a word that has many meanings. It is not owned by the native community.  Period.  To buy into that thinking is incorrect.

The school can do this, if they choose to put the correct amount of effort and thought into it.  Will they take some heat for it.....yes.  But those people can be lumped into the same general bucket that has the same "well intended" folks that think reparations is appropriate...analogy might be a bit of overkill, but you get my point.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2012, 08:07:25 PM »
It has been explained here before, but its never going to happen.  Not because it's "PC"...not because of the NCAA...

Read this thread.

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=18168.0;all

bma's posts make it pretty clear why we will not be going back to Warriors.  Ever.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2012, 08:12:57 PM »
This pisses people off because of the heavy handed approach the school took, the hypocrisy of how the NCAA enforces this, and the stink of PC. 

The warrior mascot was fun, given the context of those times.  So was Blazing Saddles...but back in the day.  Admit it, you laughed at that movie when it first came out.

Willie wampum is not appropriate now.  But, to ban the name Warrior name, is overkill.  Warrior is a word that has many meanings. It is not owned by the native community.  Period.  To buy into that thinking is incorrect.

The school can do this, if they choose to put the correct amount of effort and thought into it.  Will they take some heat for it.....yes.  But those people can be lumped into the same general bucket that has the same "well intended" folks that think reparations is appropriate...analogy might be a bit of overkill, but you get my point.

I laughed at it when I watched it last month for the umteenth time!!

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2012, 08:37:40 PM »
It has been explained here before, but its never going to happen.  Not because it's "PC"...not because of the NCAA...

Read this thread.

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=18168.0;all

bma's posts make it pretty clear why we will not be going back to Warriors.  Ever.

Sultan, thanks for the link.  It pre-dates my time on scoop.  

God, I hope Bma is wrong.  If his theory is correct, my Alma mater's integrity is a joke.  Period.  That would be a disappointment to so many people, on so many levels.  And no, I am not naive enough to believe this stuff can't happen....look at how ND sold it's soul to NBC  ;D.

Anyways, wasn't there some board members on-board with changing the name back a number of years ago...or was that a ruse that the school put on?

I have to believe that MU's alum would support the return of Warrior (done appropriately) in a way that would be very financially beneficial.  At a minimum, there has to be some fiery, aspiring, anti-PC law school alum who could find a way to either prove BMA's theory, and get that out for all to see, or help the school finds it's way back to a respectful return to Warrior.  Just my humble opinion as a proud Warrior alum.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 08:43:04 PM by real chili 83 »

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2012, 08:49:52 PM »
Only way Warriors comes back is if we have a Boone Pickens/Phil Knight level booster who could fund top level projects themselves and demands Warriors.

Even then I don't know if they would do it cause of long term hit against academic rep if some lib professors then bail/ can't attract top lib professors.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2012, 09:03:29 PM »
Only way Warriors comes back is if we have a Boone Pickens/Phil Knight level booster who could fund top level projects themselves and demands Warriors.

Even then I don't know if they would do it cause of long term hit against academic rep if some lib professors then bail/ can't attract top lib professors.

I agree, people will have to pony up to make this happen.

If some PC profs bail, who cares.  They don't share the values of the average alum....which hopefully reflect the values of our school.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2012, 09:07:16 PM »
16 graduating classes (or so) have been Golden Eagles.  Every year that number grows and old Warriors (and Hilltoppers) pass on.  Give it a rest.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2012, 09:09:45 PM »
16 graduating classes (or so) have been Golden Eagles.  Every year that number grows and old Warriors (and Hilltoppers) pass on.  Give it a rest.

Nope.  Doesn't make it right.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2012, 09:16:04 PM »
Well, I'm sorry chili.  I'm from your era and it simply won't happen.  Ever.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2012, 09:18:08 PM »
why don't we have a football team?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2012, 09:22:00 PM »
Well, I'm sorry chili.  I'm from your era and it simply won't happen.  Ever.

I realize that.  Just gotta vent once in a while ;D

Good news is that our Warriors are a top 20 team.  Go Warriors!!!!!!!

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2012, 09:50:13 PM »

Disagree. Everything about Blazing Saddles was tongue in cheek. Its humor is based entirely on self-recognition - which is exactly what the use of Native American mascots lacked.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2012, 09:51:46 PM »

If we lose a professor over a nickname he or she is a professor worth losing.

Skarrface

• Walk-On
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2012, 10:24:39 PM »
Kind of funny that my son, who is a junior at MUHS, is watching Blazing Saddles in his homeroom "film making" class this week!

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2012, 11:46:21 PM »
Look, if a Jesuit turned down $1 million to bring back the Warrior name, it aint going to happen.

Not now. Not tomorrow. Not ever!

That said, in my house, we aint no Golden Chickens. No Furry Birds (just look at that ridiculous eagle if you do not believe me). No goofy chicken hawks.

WE ARE WARRIORS. 

Sorry, Fathers Pilarz, DeUilio and Wild, that aint gonna change. We were Warriors then; we are Warriors now and we will be Warriors until the day we die!!!!

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2012, 05:01:03 AM »
Profound, Chief.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2012, 05:58:00 AM »
I say just drop the mascot. Why do we need a overstuffed anything on the sidelines. We chant "We Are Marquette", not "We Are Warriors" or "We Are Golden Eagles". It's not like our chicken head would even be recognized by anyone that wasn't a Marquette fan. It's our colors and our logo that we can market. That's all we need.

Just Marquette.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2012, 08:57:37 AM »
We play like warriors.  There aren't any golden eagles living in Wisconsin!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2012, 09:47:45 AM »
Sadly, Golden Eagles is a weak name. Boring. Incredibly lacking in uniqueness, as more than a dozen other schools have it.

Even the school knows how weak it is because our official logo is no longer a bird but the block MU.

If we had to give up Warriors, at least Hilltoppers would have been an homage to our history and a name not found everywhere else (though we would have shared it with Western Kentucky).

But as many have stated, this is an old argument. (Then why do I keep weighing in? Obsession is not an attractive quality!)
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2012, 09:59:43 AM »
School is Fighting Sioux again

BISMARK, ND --  The University of North Dakota will resume using its contentious Fighting Sioux nickname despite threats from the NCAA, the school's president said Wednesday, marking the latest twist in a protracted fight about a name that critics consider offensive.

wildbill sb

• Team Captain
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2012, 11:03:42 AM »
Sadly, Golden Eagles is a weak name. Boring. Incredibly lacking in uniqueness, as more than a dozen other schools have it.

Even the school knows how weak it is because our official logo is no longer a bird but the block MU.

If we had to give up Warriors, at least Hilltoppers would have been an homage to our history and a name not found everywhere else (though we would have shared it with Western Kentucky).

But as many have stated, this is an old argument. (Then why do I keep weighing in? Obsession is not an attractive quality!)

Golden Eagles?  Whatever. Remember when Hank was AD and changed the mascot logo from the cartoonish fierce Indian/tomahawk to the sedate, visually respectful profile of a Native American.  We also changed the human game mascot's garb/dance moves to resemble those of a combo of actual Wisconsin Indian tribes.  We were so far in front of the PC movement at the time. <sigh>  How did we end up playing catch up in such a miserable fashion?  <sigh, sigh>
“I’m working as hard as I can to get my life and my cash to run out at the same time. If I can just die after lunch Tuesday, everything will be perfect.”  - Doug Sanders, professional golfer

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2012, 11:10:41 AM »
Why not Golden Warriors, switch to a greek warrior decked out in gold armor.  People could wear Warriors apparel and refer to the team as warriors.