[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by Galway Eagle
[Today at 08:51:26 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by PointWarrior
[Today at 12:57:23 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by PointWarrior
[April 30, 2024, 11:37:53 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bring back the Warriors!  (Read 5809 times)

mr.MUskie

• All American
Bring back the Warriors!
« on: February 08, 2012, 01:33:41 PM »
Is it the return of the Fighting Sioux?  Supporters of the University of North Dakota's nickname turned in more than 17,000 signatures Tuesday night to cap a petition drive to force a statewide vote on a moniker the NCAA says is insulting to American Indians.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Re: Bring back the Warriors!
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 01:35:33 PM »
Oh no.

I'm guessing the fact we are a private university makes this irrelevant to MU.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 01:38:55 PM »
Oh no.

I'm guessing the fact we are a private university makes this irrelevant to MU.

Perceived political correctness makes this irrelevant to MU.  Well, that and 4ever's avatar.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 01:45:57 PM »
Good luck with that. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 01:56:14 PM »
Maybe Pilarz is different?   ::)

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 02:05:48 PM »
Murray Man, them was the days when Willie would do his war dance to "Cherokee" with tomahawk in hand, during the first time out of the second half, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 02:17:06 PM »
Murray Man, them was the days when Willie would do his war dance to "Cherokee" with tomahawk in hand, during the first time out of the second half, aina?

Yeah, unfortunately them was the days that put "Warriors" in the cross hairs, sigh.

I miss the point of your reference to the Assyrian International News Agency (AINA).
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 02:23:41 PM »
Maybe the oversized paper mâché head had somethin' to do with it? BFD!
Don't see anyone gettin' their thongs in a bunch over the Washington Redskins, in our nation's capital, no less. And, if animals could talk...
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

leever

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 02:32:21 PM »
Don't see anyone gettin' their thongs in a bunch over the Washington Redskins, in our nation's capital, no less. And, if animals could talk...

If animals could talk, all the golden chickens off the world would be royally pissed off at our current mascot / symbol.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 02:58:47 PM »
UND is voluntarily a member of the NCAA.  This is an NCAA rule.  They have three choices:

1. Change the nickname and the imagery in compliance with the rule.

2. Suffer the consequences of the rule and be barred from hosting any NCAA playoffs and from wearing uniforms with the imagery in playoff games.

3. Leave the NCAA

If the people of the State of North Dakota care that much about their nickname, keep it.  But I don't want to hear the whining later on.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 03:04:19 PM »
Give it time young (and old) Warriors.  Eventually, Potawatomi will need Valley Fields back to build another hotel.  At that point, all will be in balance again.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 03:16:17 PM »

Actually, Native Americans and their supporters picket many Redskins games, and there have been numerous attempts to change by far the most racist team name in U.S. pro and college sports.

Lots of Native Americans have their "thongs in a bunch" over the drunk-looking Indian mascot on Cleveland's hats, too.

The move against Warriors probably was overly politically correct, but only Redskins and Indians fans would argue their case. Their main defense is "tradition." Hmmm. If memory serves, it was a longstanding tradition to keep blacks out of major-league baseball, too.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 03:20:32 PM »
Actually, Native Americans and their supporters picket many Redskins games, and there have been numerous attempts to change by far the most racist team name in U.S. pro and college sports.

Lots of Native Americans have their "thongs in a bunch" over the drunk-looking Indian mascot on Cleveland's hats, too.

The move against Warriors probably was overly politically correct, but only Redskins and Indians fans would argue their case. Their main defense is "tradition." Hmmm. If memory serves, it was a longstanding tradition to keep blacks out of major-league baseball, too.

That wasn't a tradition.  It was an "unwritten rule" that was written down on multiple occasions.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

downtown85

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 03:21:48 PM »
UND is voluntarily a member of the NCAA.  This is an NCAA rule.  They have three choices:

1. Change the nickname and the imagery in compliance with the rule.

2. Suffer the consequences of the rule and be barred from hosting any NCAA playoffs and from wearing uniforms with the imagery in playoff games.

3. Leave the NCAA

If the people of the State of North Dakota care that much about their nickname, keep it.  But I don't want to hear the whining later on.

Isn't there a 4th option.  I mean the Florida State Seminoles and the Central Michigan Chippewas both use native American nicknames and imagery without any sort of penalty.    just sayin'.  

The fifth option is getting rid of the stupid politically correct NCAA rule.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 03:25:22 PM »
Isn't there a 4th option.  I mean the Florida State Seminoles and the Central Michigan Chippewas both use native American nicknames and imagery without any sort of penalty.    just sayin'. 

OK...fourth option.  Get the Sioux tribes to change its mind and agree to its usage like the Chippewa and Seminoles have. 

That's not going to happen though.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2012, 03:37:22 PM »

OK...fourth option.  Get the Sioux tribes to change its mind and agree to its usage like the Chippewa and Seminoles have. 

That's not going to happen though.

Everyone has their price...

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2012, 04:02:14 PM »
Noticed at the before the TV game Marquette and Notre Dame.  Marquette Warriors on the screen. LOVE IT!!

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2012, 04:11:36 PM »
Noticed at the before the TV game Marquette and Notre Dame.  Marquette Warriors on the screen. LOVE IT!!

It's all part of the vast "Bring back the Warriors nickname" conspiracy.  Nudge-nudge.  Wink-wink. 

Keep in on the QT, now.   ;)
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

EnderWiggen

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2012, 05:46:14 PM »
Not to fuel this fire, but I never understood why we didn't keep the Warrior name, but remove any American Indian references.  "Warrior" doesn't necessarily refer to American Indians since tons of different cultures have had warriors.  Of course, we would have to come up with a culture-free mascot and logo, but at least we would have kept the name.  That said, this is a REALLY old issue and when i graduated (2004), the vast majority of students considered themselves eagles and not warriors (although there will always be a very vocal group of students who keep the warrior name alive).

downtown85

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2012, 05:49:49 PM »
Not to fuel this fire, but I never understood why we didn't keep the Warrior name, but remove any American Indian references.  "Warrior" doesn't necessarily refer to American Indians since tons of different cultures have had warriors.  Of course, we would have to come up with a culture-free mascot and logo, but at least we would have kept the name.  That said, this is a REALLY old issue and when i graduated (2004), the vast majority of students considered themselves eagles and not warriors (although there will always be a very vocal group of students who keep the warrior name alive).

Let's have the university spend a lot of money on a survey of alumni, students, faculty and other stakeholders in the university and then ignore the results. 

EnderWiggen

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2012, 05:53:08 PM »
Let's have the university spend a lot of money on a survey of alumni, students, faculty and other stakeholders in the university and then ignore the results. 

Yea, that was absurd.

I think I might be one of the few people here that definitely respects the idea that we shouldn't be offending any cultural group, but it seems like the administration went way overboard and then handled the issue with stunning incompetence. 

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2012, 06:09:55 PM »
Not to fuel this fire, but I never understood why we didn't keep the Warrior name, but remove any American Indian references.  "Warrior" doesn't necessarily refer to American Indians since tons of different cultures have had warriors. 

Yeah, who says Warriors has to refer to Native Americans?  Someone out there with some computer graphics skills can come up with a bad-a$$, over-muscled, weapon-wielding anonymous, generic "warrior" to represent our warriors on the bball court.  It could even be customized by sport - a bball, a volleyball, lacrosse sticks, etc.  Who would we offend - graphic artists? 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2012, 06:15:14 PM »
All of these comments have been made before. Many times and you can look them up using the search function.

Bottom line, it's not happening. These points have been made every year, and it still hasn't happened.

Move along.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2012, 06:15:33 PM »
Apparantly you can not insult Irish by using the nickname "Fighting Irish"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2012, 06:42:09 PM »
That said, this is a REALLY old issue and when i graduated (2004), the vast majority of students considered themselves eagles and not warriors.

When the university decided to let us all vote on the name, I happened to come across Travis Diener, who was with the Pacers. I asked which name he voted for and he said, "Golden Eagles, of course. That's what I was."

(My write-in choice was The Marquette Blue.)

Anyway, as another poster said, it's time to move along. This old Warrior agrees.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback