Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Is Gardner Playing?  (Read 7942 times)

Benny B

• All American
Re: Is Gardner Playing?
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2012, 03:04:31 PM »
But this is hardly anything against Enlund for not having a beat on it...

Nice try, but we're going to hold you to a higher standard.

If we know that you know, you better know that we won't stand for you not letting us know.  But you already know this.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

NeverDrankBefore

• Walk-On
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2012, 03:12:17 PM »
Get Well Soon Automatic.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2012, 03:48:40 PM »
"The alumni and fanbase put a ton of money into the program, and there needs to be a mutually dependent and communicative relationship there."

Really - you are a fan who buys a ticket to the game and donates to the program.

What exactly is the mutually dependent and communicative relationship here?

You bought season tickets, Marquette tells you the date, time and opponent of each game - what more are you exactly owed?

Holy entitlement complex...
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 03:52:42 PM by madtownwarrior »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2012, 03:51:02 PM »
"The alumni and fanbase put a ton of money into the program, and there needs to be a mutually dependent and communicative relationship there."

Really - your a fan who buys a ticket to the game and donates to the program.

What exactly is the mutually dependent communicative relationship here?

You bought season tickets, Marquette tells you the date, time and opponent of each game - what more are you exactly owed?

+1.  Oakland is looking for a few more good leeches.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2012, 04:00:06 PM »
Thanks for the "Princess Bride" quote, litehouse84.    One of the great family movies of all time. 

+1, I would say the best live-action family movie of all time.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2012, 04:18:16 PM »
That's not the point that I and others are making. I realize there could be advantages for MU in not releasing that information and I understand if Buzz and co. decide not to it.

My frustration is due to the fact that MU's beat writer has failed to even acknowledge that this may be an issue. An injury that keeps Davante out for any period of time, I would deem to be newsworthy. So the fact that Enlund has not addressed it once since it occurred or even attempted to tell his audience that he is working on getting more information is concerning.

My issue has do with the coverage of MU basketball, not with MU basketball's disclosure of information.

This is my point too. If I were an MU fan who didn't happen to see the end of the game on TV Saturday, and who relied on the Journal Sentinel for information, I would have no idea that Gardner might be hurt. The only mention of it in the JS brushed it off by saying he remained in the game and that it was "no big deal" because of how hard MU works and fights  in practice. I think that not mentioning that Gardner might be hurt is very poor reporting. All it would take is a brief mention that MU has not provided any information on how Gardner's knee responded after the fall on Saturday and that we won't know until gametime if he will be able to play tonight. That provides no information to the opponent but helps to keep fans somewhat informed.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2012, 05:47:36 PM »

Really - you are a fan who buys a ticket to the game and donates to the program.

What exactly is the mutually dependent and communicative relationship here?

Thought thats how that would get taken, which I'll be the first to admit, arguably means how it should be taken.  But I stand by it, especially with the way the rest of my post read / doesn't jive with your kneejerk reaction.

I think that "a mutually dependent and communicative relationship" is actually the perfect way to put it. There's almost a community organizing element to being the head coach of a major college program. There's a shared identity there, and a mutually dependent relationship between the donors/alumni base and the program itself. Think of how much basketball supports the rest of the University, which pays Buzz like a pro coach. (Note that none of this is claiming that Buzz doesn't do a great job/isn't a great representative of the University, etc. This was never a critique, but instead a philosophical point about how college sports operates).

I said earlier that "it depends on who you think is the tail and who is the dog."  I don't think it makes someone entitled to recognize that if fans treated their college sports fandom identically to their pro sports fandom, college sports wouldn't be where it is today. And much of that is derived from an interaction between program and fan that doesn't exist in pro sports (in addition to the experience of having gone to a given college/university)

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2012, 07:48:32 AM »
If sarcasm gets posted in teal, perhaps we can appease some on this board by creating a color for posts based on speculation or from non-credentialed sources?

We already have that.  The color is black ...

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2012, 07:59:32 AM »
We already have that.  The color is black ...

OK, I laughed...or at least a guy I know says that I did.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.