Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Is Gardner Playing?  (Read 7943 times)

Windyplayer

• All American
Re: Is Gardner Playing?
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2012, 10:07:08 AM »
I realize that Tom may not be receiving any info from MU, but I think he can at least share with his readers that he has made attempts to try to receive a report. A simple blog post stating, "I ask a member of the MU basketball staff about the status of Davante following an apparent knee injury against Villanova, and was told no update", would suffice.

My issue is not that Tom doesn't have any information regarding the injury, its that he doesn't seem to be trying to gain any. Look, everybody saw Davante go down at the end of game on Saturday, you would think that MU's beat writer would follow-up on that story before the team's next game.

+1. We're not looking for anything earth-shattering, just an update even if that entails no news (as odd as that sounds). This reminds me of my daily trips on the Blue Line in Chicago. The train always slows down at certain points for no evident reason and at times it's infuriating. I would be far less upset if there was a simple explanation on a placard even if I didn't agree with it. I just need something--some acknowledgement of an issue.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 10:10:27 AM by windyplayer »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2012, 10:15:44 AM »
Thanks for the "Princess Bride" quote, litehouse84.    One of the great family movies of all time. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2012, 10:35:10 AM »
So based on all this info, the only logical conclusion is DG must have an ACL issue and Buzz has got to get comfortable with the options to do right by Davante.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 11:01:38 AM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2012, 10:47:03 AM »
Scoopers, I owe you an apology.    IWB has a new basketball website.  
http://www.brewcityball.com/homepage.php

I was forwarded a link in which IWB discusses DG's knee.    I referenced him.    Then I had a crisis of conscience about posting a link from somebody else's premium (for pay) board.    So I did not post the link.     I still won't.   However, what he says is consistent with the poster who saw DG on crutches.  

I kinda wish I had a subscription so I could read about Indiana HS QB Kiel committing to LSU.  I didn't know he could do that while enrolled at ND. ::)
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2012, 11:03:12 AM »
I realize that Tom may not be receiving any info from MU, but I think he can at least share with his readers that he has made attempts to try to receive a report. A simple blog post stating, "I ask a member of the MU basketball staff about the status of Davante following an apparent knee injury against Villanova, and was told no update", would suffice.

My issue is not that Tom doesn't have any information regarding the injury, its that he doesn't seem to be trying to gain any. Look, everybody saw Davante go down at the end of the game on Saturday, you would think that MU's beat writer would follow-up on that story before the team's next game.

That is why I started this thread by asking the question and maybe getting an answer on the gameday. When the 15th ranked program in the country, which has already lost it's starting center and the backup has apparently suffered some sort of injury, you would figure some beat writer/sports media person in the Milwaukee area would have some updated information. 

Everyone may be looking forward to the Notre Dame game on Saturday, but the Seton Hall game is sort of important and Gardner's status will be a determining factor. 

Maybe before tip off we will hear something.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2012, 11:06:13 AM »

My issue is not that Tom doesn't have any information regarding the injury, its that he doesn't seem to be trying to gain any. Look, everybody saw Davante go down at the end of the game on Saturday, you would think that MU's beat writer would follow-up on that story before the team's next game.

Why does it matter and why do we feel entitled that we need answers when we want them?  Does Buzz need to hold a press conference on a daily basis discussing the various ailments of all the players and coaches for that matter?  When the news comes out, it will come out.  Hopefully it will be good news.

And since when has any injury information from MU been made immediately clear.  Anderson was suppossed to miss a few weeks and he missed a game.  Fulce was career ending and he continued to play.  Nobody knew about McNeal until gametime.  And the list goes on and on.  Again, I think when MU wants to share information, they will.      

Also, what good is a blog posting stating I don't know.  Will that really make everyone feel better about the situation?  Because we don't have a blog posting stating I don't know, we are to assume that Tom is not doing his due dilegence.  I don't know, but it seems like with all this technology, us fans now expect up to the second status updates on everything and when we don't get them, we have to gripe about it.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2012, 11:29:21 AM »
Why does it matter and why do we feel entitled that we need answers when we want them?

Depends on who you think is the tail and who you think is the dog I suppose.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2012, 11:38:40 AM »
I kinda wish I had a subscription so I could read about Indiana HS QB Kiel committing to LSU.  I didn't know he could do that while enrolled at ND. ::)

I also enjoy the 1980s-ish font on the header.

UticaBusBarn

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2012, 11:54:32 AM »
Tom Enlund is a "compiler" - his articles are simply of compilation of everything "out there." This is not to say he is a bad journalist. Rather it reflects of the reality of the newspaper business which has not figured out what to do as it loses money in an electronic world.

Tom, who is limited by corporate constraints, has a next to impossible job since Warrior basketball has been down-graded to save money.

That said, all of us are anxious to hear the status of Davante "The Ox is a Fox" Gardner.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2012, 12:10:37 PM »
We need a student to step up to the plate and commit to some citizen journalism. I'm sure an undergrad scooper has seen him over the last couple of days. All we're asking is that you introduce yourself, express your concern, and ask what what the hell is going on.

Better yet, just storm into the Al McGuire Center, screaming with arms flailing, and demand answers. Remember, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2012, 12:26:36 PM »

I don't think Buzz gives a rats ass what we think. SH knows he may have been injured. Why should MU confirm or deny anything. Make SH game plan for MU with Gardner and w/o Gardner. Take any edge you can get.

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2012, 12:31:06 PM »
We need a student to step up to the plate and commit to some citizen journalism. I'm sure an undergrad scooper has seen him over the last couple of days. All we're asking is that you introduce yourself, express your concern, and ask what what the hell is going on.

C'mon Paint Touches.....

All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2012, 12:33:48 PM »

I don't think Buzz gives a rats ass what we think. SH knows he may have been injured. Why should MU confirm or deny anything. Make SH game plan for MU with Gardner and w/o Gardner. Take any edge you can get.

I think we have a winner right here

strotty

• All American
    • Paint Touches
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2012, 12:37:19 PM »
C'mon Paint Touches.....

I have asked twice and both times the answer was that there was nothing to update at the moment. And, realistically, I have to believe Davante has been told not to release his injury information. IF Davante sits tonight, it's an advantage for Marquette if Seton Hall has to gameplan for him only to see him not there.

It makes sense that nothing has been released on his injury. Marquette has nothing to gain by releasing it and, by not disclosing the extent of it, has an advantage. We'll all know in 6.5 hours and I will address it at the post-game press conference if nothing has been officially released.

But this is hardly anything against Enlund for not having a beat on it or the administration for not saying anything. There's a reason for everything that goes on.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2012, 12:42:17 PM »

Wait, is this fact-based-logic, that leads to a perfectly reasonable conclusion?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2012, 12:45:15 PM »
Wait, is this fact-based-logic, that leads to a perfectly reasonable conclusion?

No room for that here...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2012, 12:47:59 PM »

That's not the point that I and others are making. I realize there could be advantages for MU in not releasing that information and I understand if Buzz and co. decide not to it.

My frustration is due to the fact that MU's beat writer has failed to even acknowledge that this may be an issue. An injury that keeps Davante out for any period of time, I would deem to be newsworthy. So the fact that Enlund has not addressed it once since it occurred or even attempted to tell his audience that he is working on getting more information is concerning.

My issue has do with the coverage of MU basketball, not with MU basketball's disclosure of information.

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2012, 12:59:33 PM »
I have asked twice and both times the answer was that there was nothing to update at the moment. And, realistically, I have to believe Davante has been told not to release his injury information. IF Davante sits tonight, it's an advantage for Marquette if Seton Hall has to gameplan for him only to see him not there.

It makes sense that nothing has been released on his injury. Marquette has nothing to gain by releasing it and, by not disclosing the extent of it, has an advantage. We'll all know in 6.5 hours and I will address it at the post-game press conference if nothing has been officially released.

So I take it you are "Paint Touches".  You do great work!!  And you chose a great name.   ;D

But this is hardly anything against Enlund for not having a beat on it or the administration for not saying anything. There's a reason for everything that goes on.
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2012, 01:01:52 PM »

Thanks for the info and effort. Also, your Otule article was nicely done.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2012, 01:17:13 PM »
So I take it you are "Paint Touches".  You do great work!!  And you chose a great name.   Grin

Says so right on the sidebar of their website. :D

If you're all looking for wild speculation on Gardner's status, might I recommend the article we put up on Anonymous Eagle today?

http://www.anonymouseagle.com/2012/1/31/2759537/hey-whats-up-with-davante-gardner-marquette-golden-eagles
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

ZiggysChestHair

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2012, 01:21:03 PM »
Wow, get worked up about it.......
I propose a new rule for scoop that says all topics must be approved by muguru before they are posted.....
All in favor....

If sarcasm gets posted in teal, perhaps we can appease some on this board by creating a color for posts based on speculation or from non-credentialed sources?

Marqevans

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2012, 01:30:22 PM »
So if I'm the Seton Hall coach, do I prepare for the "Beast of the Big East"? or some combination of faster slimmer forwards?

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2012, 01:36:12 PM »
Actually heard a rumor that Davante will not play but MU found a very efficient way to sneak Wade into his jersey for the game tonight.

No clue, how this can possibly play out. But thats what I heard. Personally, it seems like a reasonable trade off.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2012, 01:43:35 PM »
Marquette has nothing to gain by releasing it...

Apparently you're discounting the benefit of satisfying people on message boards who need information NOW!!!!11!!1
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2012, 02:12:14 PM »
FWIW, and I'll try to put this as articulately as possible, I think there's a huge chasm between saying that Buzz has no obligation to care what we want/think and saying that he needs to give us the most recent updates to the detriment of the team. Somewhere in between those two extremes are the actual obligations and how this and most injury news, etc, will come down.

For this game, there is no doubt an advantage to playing coy with Davante's status, since the injury is so fresh. That being said, Buzz will have more info for us after tonight. And to some extent, that's his obligation. The alumni and fanbase put a ton of money into the program, and there needs to be a mutually dependent and communicative relationship there.

feedback