Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Jamail last night  (Read 7868 times)

RJax55

• All American
Re: Jamail last night
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2012, 09:57:15 AM »
And then after looking at the objective data, I was trying to figure out the difference between Jones and Chapman...and came up with something completely subjective!  Chapman has *something* that lead you to believe that he would be a decent player - like Butler or Blue.  I just haven't seen that with Jones.

That's because Chapman made some meaningful contributions early in his career, even with limited minutes. During the FF run, he hit some big three's off the bench. Gave me confidence that he would be a solid contributor later in his career.

Jones has been the complete opposite. When given time and opportunity (like Wednesday night) he fails to provide any type of real production or lift to the team.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2012, 10:10:06 AM »
That's because Chapman made some meaningful contributions early in his career, even with limited minutes. During the FF run, he hit some big three's off the bench. Gave me confidence that he would be a solid contributor later in his career.

Jones has been the complete opposite. When given time and opportunity (like Wednesday night) he fails to provide any type of real production or lift to the team.

Chapman had the luxury of being a complimentary player.  For most of the time Jones was in the games Wednesday there were no scorers on the floor save Mayo.  I think he'd be fine with extended minutes where his whole game can by utilized, but those minutes are going to be hard to find this season.  A guy who is spotted in short spurts like he is needs to have a go-to top-level skill like deadly jumpshooter or penetrator/assist man or shut down defender/rebounder, and he is none of those things, even if he might be good at all of them given more PT.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2012, 10:38:02 AM »
Jones has actually seen some playing time.  He has played in seven of the last eight games and has averaged seven minutes a game.  Only problem is that he has not scored one point.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2012, 11:03:40 AM »
Here's another interesting comparison to another MU player through freshman year:
19.0 min   5.1ppg  39.4%FG,  16%3pt    2.8rpg   1.6apg   0.9stl    0.2 blk   1.4TO   .

Hmmm...looks like Jamail and Vander have practically been the same player...

There are two problems here:

#1 (as sultan correctly points out) this isn't an apples to apples comparison because you're only taking the games where jones plays more than 10min.

#2 Vander IS the reason Jones doesn't get minutes. I trust that Buzz knows who the more effective player is.

Don't you trust Buzz?

LON

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2012, 12:52:52 PM »

Karon Bradley had some pretty big shots during that run too.  Then he left.

/not sure what this has to do with anything

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2012, 01:08:23 PM »
Karon Bradley had some pretty big shots during that run too.  Then he left.

Chapman and Bradley both provided a lift to that team in limited minutes.

Karon went on to have a good run at Wichita State after he left MU.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2012, 02:01:06 PM »
I'm surprised that no one has come out and said that Jones doesn't play more because he isn't a ball handler.  He's one or two dribble player.  Vander can handle the ball.  Jones simply isn't comfortable dribbling or driving.  That's why he doesn't play more period.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2012, 02:45:38 PM »
I'm surprised that no one has come out and said that Jones doesn't play more because he isn't a ball handler.  He's one or two dribble player.  Vander can handle the ball.  Jones simply isn't comfortable dribbling or driving.  That's why he doesn't play more period.

Good observation