[Today at 08:18:48 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: OT: Favorite Drinking Spot At Marquette/Milwaukee  (Read 42352 times)

Pardner

Re: OT: Favorite Drinking Spot At Marquette/Milwaukee
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2007, 10:53:04 PM »
The Lanche, of course...but here were some others:  Kernan's Tap on Wells between OD's and the Lanche.  Talk of the Town.  Lenny's on State.  Bingo's.  Liquor stores:  Marquette Diquors, Doc's, State Street Liquors for cheap kegs.  There was a great neighborhood bar at 23rd and State with a nice pool table that I forgot the name.  With Lenny's this was a rough neighborhood at night.  Favorite sign was on the Ardmore door:  "Live Dancing".
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 10:58:58 PM by Pardner »

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2007, 03:49:37 PM »
My favorite was Bryant's.  Name a natural disaster and they had a drink for it.

Whoever mentioned Zur Kronz, thank you.  I had the beer in a boot once and wanted to go back but could never recall the name of the place.  Now I know.
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

77fan88warrior

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2007, 08:45:17 PM »
I have an older brother who used to tell me about Lenny's. The one i remember most is about a guy stumbling in and the bartender screaming "get him out of here". It turns out the guy had been stabbed and they didn't want the cops in there. My brother and his buddys sat around and drank their beers while they chalked out the poor guy.

patso

• Team Captain
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2007, 07:03:31 AM »
FV Grunts, Greentree (with owner Arty), State House (dollar pitchers on e day a week and a chance to hit the bell with a coin and win a drink), Conways (pool tables), Zur Krones( the boots) and O'Pagets. Hated the Gym and Ardmore. The Lanche was a good starting out joint and was where my brother and Chris Farley hung out. If not for my intense study habits I might have enjoyed these places even more.

thebigjake

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2007, 10:24:02 AM »
This place came and went quickly in the early 90's, but I can't believe that no one mentioned the Brown Bottle for two-for-one Thursdays.  Actually the bar may still be there (I have no idea), but the special went away after MU students discovered it and absolutely flooded the place.  Lasted about a year if I recall.  Nice place.

Also I'm amazed people still go to Bryant's.  It was during my era that it was "discovered", (not by me).  That place is awesome.  Although I've been killing myself trying to remember the name of the owner's wife who was the main cocktail waitress there.  I remember dropping in a few years after graduating and she was retired from serving drinks, but she was still drinking at the bar.  Anyone remember her name?  Betty? Judy? Something like that.

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2007, 11:42:45 AM »
The Brown Bottle was great.  They had a free taco buffet once a week (Tuesday maybe?) that was a must.  Also had an around the world beer club.  Once you drank all of their 100 or so different beers you won a prize. 

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2007, 12:16:07 PM »
This place came and went quickly in the early 90's, but I can't believe that no one mentioned the Brown Bottle for two-for-one Thursdays.  Actually the bar may still be there (I have no idea), but the special went away after MU students discovered it and absolutely flooded the place.  Lasted about a year if I recall.  Nice place.

Also I'm amazed people still go to Bryant's.  It was during my era that it was "discovered", (not by me).  That place is awesome.  Although I've been killing myself trying to remember the name of the owner's wife who was the main cocktail waitress there.  I remember dropping in a few years after graduating and she was retired from serving drinks, but she was still drinking at the bar.  Anyone remember her name?  Betty? Judy? Something like that.

I remember a waitress named Shirley. I don't know if that is the same lady. I love the ladies that waitressed there. A+ people.
We Are Marquette

thebigjake

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2007, 01:05:49 PM »
It was Shirley!  You got it.  Thanks, that was driving me nuts.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2007, 02:34:42 PM »
Brown Bottle closed a couple of years ago.  I spent the night after the 2003 Pitt victory and paid maybe $5.

Dry White Toast

• Starter
« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2007, 10:12:14 PM »
One more for consideration - the Brown Bottle Pub.  Nice off-campus bar...great music...great bartenders...great atmosphere...and unfortunately closed.  It doesn't trup the 'Lanche, Heg's, etc.  But it deserves a mention.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2007, 03:46:02 PM »
I think I have killed off too many brain cells. There are a couple that I can't remember and I don't think have been mentioned here.

One was a dance club downtown in the early 80s across from the Stone Toad, called Park Avenue.  Monday night was college night, $1 32 oz beers and wine cooler-like drinks. Great place to meet women.

The bar across from State House had progressive night. Beers started out at a nickel and went up 5 cents an hour until it hit the pricey sum of  a quarter.

I was a bouncer at State House on Monday nights when they had the $1 pitchers. Pay was basically $10 and all the beer I could drink.

I am suprised that no one mentioned one of the best places to drink - Mugrack on the Road, when they would have the outdoor grill concerts on Friday afternoons and set up beers and burgers in the mall. Great way to spend a Friday afternoon.

Loved O.P.s, may the owner, Bernie Jr. RIP.

Drank at Lenny's with Chris Farley and others early AM.

The other place no one mentioned was the Brewery tours at Pabst. Half hour all you could drink. What more can you ask for? I remember doing the Friday afternoon tour, catching a buzz, then heading down to the English Pub downtown (can't remember its name either) for their free buffett.

Lastly, the semesterly block parties thrown by the school were a great place for a beer. How many other Universities sponsored a 10,000 person 200 keg party?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 03:56:37 PM by pbiflyer »

muPARTY

• Starter
« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2007, 12:33:10 AM »
Caffery's was my favorite spot.  sounds cheesy, but it was like my "Cheers" to me.  drinks were cheap, staff tried to get to know your name, wasn't a hole-in-the-wall while at the same time didn't try to be too classy.

then the change came in Dec.  Caff's was owned by 2 guys, one of the guys sold his share to the other, so ownership was down to one.  that one now owns both Murph's and Caff's.  that's why if you've been in Caff's in the past 4 months you'd realize it is becoming Murph's-Lite.  the dj booth sucks- along with DJ Push PLAY (who a couple of us decided to name), the staff had an 90% turnover, and they changed some of the promotions and raised some prices.  i.e.- Monday's Progressive Night was $1 @9pm going up $0.50 each hr.  now it's $1 domestic, $2 everything else @ 9pm.  getting a Strongbow for a buck or two made Monday's awesome.

Lucielle's Paino Bar was great 2yrs ago.  Ladies Night/College Night on Thurs (so guys could get deals on drinks too, great idea) had lines around the corner.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2007, 05:46:07 PM »
Caffery's was my favorite spot.  sounds cheesy, but it was like my "Cheers" to me.  drinks were cheap, staff tried to get to know your name, wasn't a hole-in-the-wall while at the same time didn't try to be too classy.

then the change came in Dec.  Caff's was owned by 2 guys, one of the guys sold his share to the other, so ownership was down to one.  that one now owns both Murph's and Caff's.  that's why if you've been in Caff's in the past 4 months you'd realize it is becoming Murph's-Lite.  the dj booth sucks- along with DJ Push PLAY (who a couple of us decided to name), the staff had an 90% turnover, and they changed some of the promotions and raised some prices.  i.e.- Monday's Progressive Night was $1 @9pm going up $0.50 each hr.  now it's $1 domestic, $2 everything else @ 9pm.  getting a Strongbow for a buck or two made Monday's awesome.

Lucielle's Piano Bar was great 2yrs ago.  Ladies Night/College Night on Thurs (so guys could get deals on drinks too, great idea) had lines around the corner.

I'll agree with pretty much everything you said. Caffrey's was great. Was. Cheap pitchers on Sunday, progressives on Monday, Ladies' night on Wednesday (I'm not the right gender to get the special, but Ladies' night is still special for guys for obvious reasons)... There was a time when I knew the nightly specials at Murphy's, Caffrey's and Hegarty's. Sadly, that time has passed...

Lucille's is a lot of fun. I heard they brought back the Ladies/College night on Thursdays, though now that I'm no longer in college I haven't had a chance to get down there lately. Damn full-time jobs...

TomW1365

• Team Captain
« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2010, 05:31:22 PM »
Jim Hegarty's Pub

You can't beat it. Ever.

I agree... MU vs Notre Dame will be a night where this classic place is packed.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2010, 06:24:38 PM »
I agree... MU vs Notre Dame will be a night where this classic place is packed.

Two years, 9 months, and 5 days to come up with that response?  Well thought out, my man!
Ludum habemus.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2010, 06:50:34 PM »
With this delightful thread revived, a quick story ...

I lived on 20th and Clybourne for about 18 months (summer, last year, summer). I kept thinking that I should go to Miss Katie's to get a beer. Just to say that I did it. Finally one night, I think the spring of my last year, I went there around 11pm on my way home from other bars with people.

One of my weirdest experiences in a bar. Maybe 6-8 townies there. After 4-5 minutes there, one guy literally asks me, "Who the hell are you?" 10 ounce glasses for beer. It's too bad they don't try to cater to Marquette students a little ... it's not like there isn't a market for an alternative to Murphs/Caffs.

Has anyone here ever gotten a beer there? I think I might be the only person I know who has ... not the worst place in the world ... but humorous that no one mentions it.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2010, 07:47:53 AM »
Miss Katie's is the place that has a sign on the door about Bill CLinton stopping there right?

After reading through this entire thread on my phone yesterday, thinking it was new, I am still saddened by the "downfall" of Caffreys.  Was by far my favorite.  In fact I met my wife there in 02 over a bucket of $1 Old Milwaukee Red label cans. The $3.75 tall mixed drink price was delightful at the time, and IIRC from a couple years ago that price is now about $6.50.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2010, 01:46:31 PM »
another place that no one has really mentioned that I liked off campus was the Old German Beer Hall.  Its pricey, but Thursday night was college ID half off night, including liters.  If only they would keep sports on after 11 instead of foreign techno music videos...

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2010, 10:13:06 PM »
Club Bagdad in Cudahy - for when you were really parched!  ;)

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2010, 03:21:53 PM »
another place that no one has really mentioned that I liked off campus was the Old German Beer Hall.  Its pricey, but Thursday night was college ID half off night, including liters.  If only they would keep sports on after 11 instead of foreign techno music videos...

OGBH changed ownership recently. It sucks now, they lost all their good managers/bartenders and servers. Most of the people that worked at OGBH went next door to the Brat House for awhile when that place first opened up. OGBH has had the same band on weekend for years, which gets annoying since they know 0 "german" songs, du hast doesn't count and they play off an ipod anyways.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2010, 03:38:01 PM »
 OGBH used to be hilarious, if you stayed their late they would put on German music videos with nudity. Awkward yet hilarious nonetheless. Saw Steve Phillips there and got a pic with that dirty f*** 2 or 3 years ago.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2010, 09:08:23 PM »
1.  The Black Spider
2.   'lanche
3.   Ardmore
4.   The Cricket
5.    Stoned Toad

But I age myself!

It was my pleasure to drink with you in all the fine establishments you mention. I'll add The Filling Station, The Swinging Door, Oh Johnnys, The Gym and of course the unforgettable Lenny's Tap to your list. Also Who's Inn for late carry outs after a night at the Spider.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #72 on: January 31, 2016, 12:03:30 PM »
My freshman year, it was mostly O'Paget's for the dance floor (chicks dig guys who dance.  I figured that out early)

Death on call

Marqevans

• All American
« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2016, 10:23:18 PM »
In no particular order:

The West Town ( out by the scholar house at 29th and State)
J.V. Grunts
The Black Spider
The Gym
The Meet Market
The Avalanche

Goose

• All American
« Reply #74 on: February 04, 2016, 09:45:25 AM »
The Gym Bar

Anywhere else that was open.

feedback