[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: OT: Favorite Drinking Spot At Marquette/Milwaukee  (Read 42372 times)

NateDoggMarq

• Starter
This is easy
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2007, 07:27:18 PM »
The Glocca Morra

aka the Gloc

🏀

• All American
Re: OT: Favorite Drinking Spot At Marquette/Milwaukee
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2007, 07:48:05 PM »
Bars Today:

Murphy's is turning more and more into a dance club. Frat boy heaven. Watered down drinks, bartenders are there for the eye candy, not much else.

Caffrey's (Ardmore) was popular for progressives, but ceased that promotion. Still popular for the very wide selection of beer.

Harp and Shamrock isn't a popular spot. Mostly townies, a sparse showing on the weekend from MU students.

Conway's never ventured in there. I know a bartender I'd rather not talk to all night long.

Jim Hegarty's the best food on campus. A good mix of a crowd, no underclassmen. Very laid back, and my favorite bartenders on campus.

classof70

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2007, 07:53:37 PM »
1.  The Black Spider
2.   'lanche
3.   Ardmore
4.   The Cricket
5.    Stoned Toad

But I age myself!

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2007, 10:49:52 PM »
Murphy's and Caffrey's now are turning into Water Street lite.  Medicore bartending, water-downed drinks, DJs (hell, Caffrey's is moving their bathrooms to create a dance floor).  I might be somewhat jaded towards the Murphy's now; I was friends with all the bartenders my senior year (04-05) and was pretty tight with the former manager.  I was lucky enough to open up a tab, order pretty much anything I wanted, and cash out for about $10-15 (plus a generous tip). 

However, the patio at Caffrey's still remains one of my favorite places to be when I come up there during the Summer, especially on Summerfest weekends.  You can take their shuttle back from Summerfest and it is a veritable young alumni reunion.  And since it's heated, it's not rare for you to have a beer outside as late as Halloween. 

Off campus, I'd have to cast a vote for Bryant's, but that's a place you can only go once in a while since the hangover the next morning if you have one too many (multiple Brainbusters is NOT a good idea from experience).  The patio at McGillycuddy's is also great during the summer, and Brothers is spacious and usually has decent deals (although I was more partial to O'Danny's and the Oak Barrell before they closed).  If you want an adventure, get a DD and take a trip to Leff's Luckytown off 76th and State in 'Tosa.  Just try not to get shot coming home down State at bartime  ;)

Still, my favorite bar of all time was the one we built in my best friend's apartment, Biff McGuire's.  We converted an extra bedroom and the living room of his place into a full-fledged bar (complete with custom napkins and match books).  We would have people there before the bar, while we are out at the bar, and after bartime, so we pretty much had to take a weekly trip to Discount Liquor on Oklahoma Ave. to keep the place stocked since we drank so much.  Toss in a couple of couches, two mini fridges full of beer and mixers, digital cable, and an XBox, and sometimes I wonder how I ddin't fail out my senior year with the amount of time spent and alcohol consumed over there  ???
The General has taken on a new command.

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2007, 11:56:09 PM »
Hegarty's pre-2001 was the best.  Steve Wolf ran that place into the ground.     Since then my favorite campus bar is Caff's.  It may sound goofy, but I really enjoy drinking at the Annex.    It's unbelievably cheap

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2007, 01:19:03 AM »
 My favorite bar in Milwaukee was Zur Kronz in Walker's Point.  -boots of beer,board games, and weird German music.   

The boot at Zur Krone's .... awesome call. Many a drunken adventure getting to and from that place.

Surprised at no mention yet of the Unicorn. Cool setting and the best place in town for live music.

On campus: Gym, Thoma's and the Lanche (or, as Babs Bush says, the Launch).
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 01:21:06 AM by Pakuni »

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2007, 06:28:30 AM »
Caffrey's is rennovating their bathrooms to add a dance floor?  I hope that's not true because if you want to "club" you can go down to water street and hit have a nice day cafe or any one of those other "clubs" and pay $8 for a beer or $10 for a water down drink.

NateDoggMarq

• Starter
Where is the love...
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2007, 09:22:47 AM »
For the Glocc?

The best bar on campus with the exception of the Male Cheerleaders

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2007, 01:20:47 PM »
no particular order, following the 'lanche, of course

Avalanche  :'(
Gym
Harp and Shamrock
Who's Inn
Circle Inn (nah, just kidding... great for babewatching, tho)
State House
Hegarty's
Glocc
Midget
Ardmore
Z Building (near MATC)
English Darts South (Lincoln and Freeway)
Lost Dutchmans Mine (pre Unicorn)

the list is/was endless!

« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 07:48:33 PM by TVDirector »

garekis

• Walk-On
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2007, 01:32:30 PM »
Theo's - formerly on Wisconsin and 7th.

BigSky

• Starter
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2007, 02:12:17 PM »
 My favorite bar in Milwaukee was Zur Kronz in Walker's Point.  -boots of beer,board games, and weird German music.   

The boot at Zur Krone's .... awesome call. Many a drunken adventure getting to and from that place.

Surprised at no mention yet of the Unicorn. Cool setting and the best place in town for live music.

On campus: Gym, Thoma's and the Lanche (or, as Babs Bush says, the Launch).

Unicorn, excellent call. 

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2007, 02:29:22 PM »
To tie this thread and the Wiki contest together, do remember we have a Bars section of the Wiki and I'm sure it's missing lots of info.

http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/bars/start

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2007, 03:44:11 PM »
I may be in the minority here, but I was actually happy when the Gloc closed. That place SUCKED. I used to get upset when friends said they were going there. Gosh, I hated that bar. No particular reason I guess, just really disliked the place. Just my $0.02. Apologies to anyone whom I may have offended.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2007, 04:30:50 PM »
I wasn't a huge fan of it either but I only went there a few times.  Some of the guys I hung out with went there every now and then but nobody else did.  It was kind of dead from 2000-2002.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2007, 04:39:16 PM »
No particular order

Bryant's...because they would let me in as a freshman to have Frogbrain's and brainbusters
Green Tree
Lanche
Hegarty's
Voltaire

There was some Lounge place like on 76th or something, damn I can never remembe the name.  Low lights, velour, very "Sinatraesque" that was fun from time to time.

By the way, this might help jog some memories

http://www.onmilwaukee.com/bars/articles/closedbars.html

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2007, 04:56:43 PM »
I wasn't a huge fan of it either but I only went there a few times.  Some of the guys I hung out with went there every now and then but nobody else did.  It was kind of dead from 2000-2002.

I agree on the Gloc sucking too.  I went there once underage b/c we were told they didn't card.  They carded.  We left.  But there were about 15 really wierd people there at the bar and that was it.  The second time I went there, on a Thursday night after summerfest, they were closed.  F-em.

I think it got sort of popular a couple of years ago but probably just due to the lack of bars on campus.

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2007, 05:05:54 PM »
Caffrey's is rennovating their bathrooms to add a dance floor?  I hope that's not true because if you want to "club" you can go down to water street and hit have a nice day cafe or any one of those other "clubs" and pay $8 for a beer or $10 for a water down drink.

They're ripping out the bathrooms in the front of the bar and moving them to the back corner where the dartboards were located near the stairwell to the patio and extending them into their storage area.

Once that's done I'm assuming they'll close the bar up for a few weeks while they rip out the current bathrooms, which will open up a pretty massive amount of space.  The DJ booth is adjacent to the current bathrooms, and with the amount of floor space to be opened up, I wouldn't be shocked if it were some sort of raised floor surrounded by railings. 

Murphy's has added live music on certain Saturday nights, which is an absolute disaster (since this basically cuts the bar capacity by 1/3).  Plus they've started advertising more broadly through the city in The Onion and so forth.  With prices and service the way they are at the main campus bars, you might as well go to Water Street or North Ave. for the scenery.

The times, they are a changin'.

The General has taken on a new command.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2007, 05:33:49 PM »

They're ripping out the bathrooms in the front of the bar and moving them to the back corner where the dartboards were located near the stairwell to the patio and extending them into their storage area.

Once that's done I'm assuming they'll close the bar up for a few weeks while they rip out the current bathrooms, which will open up a pretty massive amount of space.  The DJ booth is adjacent to the current bathrooms, and with the amount of floor space to be opened up, I wouldn't be shocked if it were some sort of raised floor surrounded by railings. 

Murphy's has added live music on certain Saturday nights, which is an absolute disaster (since this basically cuts the bar capacity by 1/3).  Plus they've started advertising more broadly through the city in The Onion and so forth.  With prices and service the way they are at the main campus bars, you might as well go to Water Street or North Ave. for the scenery.

The times, they are a changin'.

That's a shame... both of those bars were always good neighborhood places where we could always meet up with all of our friends (not everybody had a cell phone in 2000).

Anyways, if both of those bars do develop more of a water st. flavor, it might open up the market space for another venue to open and fill the "neighborhood niche"

Obviously MU probaby isn't a big fan of adding more bars, but if you found the right location near campus, you could probably open up a nice little place. (Location is probably the biggest hurdle).

Also, the Annex is still crazy cheap, and honestly has the best facility. It's a little "stale" in there when it's empty, but it offers a ton of acivities (bowling, NFL, College football, College hoops, live music, pool, fooseball, darts, golden tee, etc.)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2007, 09:33:14 PM »
are Jim and Molly still running Murfs and Caffreys?

mviale

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2007, 10:18:00 PM »
I used to spend alot of time at ODs, green tree, O'pagets Fr-Soph,  but then I moved to the East side and spent alot time at LA Freeway, Shooters, & landmark lanes.  Loved livin on the east side.
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2007, 10:39:29 PM »
I used to spend alot of time at ODs, green tree, O'pagets Fr-Soph,  but then I moved to the East side and spent alot time at LA Freeway, Shooters, & landmark lanes.  Loved livin on the east side.

Landmark Lanes ... I was trying to remember the name of that place the other night. Another excellent call.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2007, 10:49:59 PM »
Landmark looks like it hasnt changed a bit since 1990

http://www.landmark-lanes.com
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

BigSky

• Starter
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2007, 11:19:45 PM »
Landmark Lanes was the smokiest, least venilated bar I think I have ever been in.....in my life.  I would have to go outside just to breathe and re-enter every 15 minutes.

Virginia's was another underclassmen spot btw. 

BigSky

• Starter
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2007, 11:22:24 PM »
The Tamarack...by the BC for MU games. 

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2007, 07:25:21 AM »
Koz's mini bowling on the south side was always fun.  A bunch of drunk college kids slamming small bowling balls into the shins of the stoned 13 year old kids manually resetting the pins.  Pure Milwaukee.