[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Start the Number Controversy Again, Thompson Mad, Hayward To Wear 32  (Read 20153 times)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Looks like no one told George about his number being used. . .

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=531855

HoopDreams

• Starter
Re: Start the Number Controversy Again, Thompson Mad, Hayward To Wear 32
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 02:52:58 AM »
And they let Amo wear the #43...and technically #31 has been retired twice. I understand the way Thompson feels, but I think it is a little ridiculous. Cords even stated they retire jerseys not numbers...oh, well #32 works, the same number as the Diesel.
Tradition Never Graduates..

drunken midget

• Walk-On
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 03:38:23 AM »
this is so freaking petty. who cares. i guess when you are like 70 years old all  you have are dumb things to whine about. at least he quit broadcasting so we dont have to listen to that junk evey game!

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 06:05:49 AM »
keep in mind that Amo had #43 for a year and a half before it was retired....as for #31, yes it was retired twice (and worn by Mike Flory as well).  But Doc and Flory didn't don the number after it was retired.  Still, it stinks that GT took it to the paper -- as if he didnt know who to talk to at MU? 

Very disappointing
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 06:12:54 AM by NYWarrior »

MU Avenue

• Team Captain
Retiring numbers is a lame cliché that Marquette should avoid
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 07:41:22 AM »
I know many people, including several who visit this site, see something special or deeply meaningful in retiring players’ numbers. I do not see or get it. I think the practice is corny and childish.

In Marquette’s case, the university’s intention is not even clear. Is MU retiring players’ numbers or is it hanging their jerseys from the rafters as tribute to their fine play? If the latter, do all numbers remain available for use by other MU athletes? And if the latter, why has Lazar Hayward been forced to change his number to 32 from 24?

George Thompson has no beef with Marquette if MU does not retire players’ numbers.

Marquette needs to speak clearly and quickly to this issue so it goes away. Hayward has big things on his mind. He should not have to deal with this ridiculous flap over the number on his shirt.

I hope Marquette does not -- and never will -- retire numbers. Hang jerseys, if it must, and call it good.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 08:15:01 AM »
Geeze, what a mess.  I feel bad if George was really surprised by this, but a few thoughts...

1) GT goes from broadcasting every game to not even following a single boxscore this year? Is there more strain in the relationship between him and MU than meets the eye? Prior to this ordeal I mean?

2) What's with people taking problems to the public these days before they ever try to work them out in person!??  Talk about a general lack of respect in society...

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 08:17:47 AM »
Lots of amazing things in that story.  

* George not noticing until this week that Lazar had his number -- jeez, George, don't you have time to read the internet forums?

* George "throwing MU under the bus" as Cracked Sidewalks put it.  He must be really pissed off.

* MU sticking to the jerseys not numbers story.  No one, including a guy who really counts, GT, believes that, and the media guides of the past decades all say the same thing: we retire numbers.

Just admit that you need to switch the policy because of a lack of playable numbers; conference with the retirees and give them a bone .. tell them they are going to be asked, occasionally, to unretire their numbers to young men who they approve of.  

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 08:31:06 AM »
* George not noticing until this week that Lazar had his number -- jeez, George, don't you have time to read the internet forums?

LOL...as I wrote my post I wondered...do they still print boxscores in the paper? So, doe the JS have boxscores in the print edition after a game?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2006, 08:44:52 AM »
Wow, just unneeded bad press.  I think I buy the potential for bad blood between MU and Thompson.  This really seems to be something small to be blow up and George sounds pissed.  Me thinks there might be something more to this story.

Hopefully they will put the Zizzo Group on this to clean up the PR mess ;) ;D
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2006, 09:24:09 AM »
maybe lazar should just work on outshining even GT.. then GT would have wished lazar HAD worn his number.. how's that for motivation?
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

theodoc

• Walk-On
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2006, 09:29:37 AM »
Has anyone asked Joe Chapman how he feels about Hayward wearing his number?  :)

HansMoleman

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2006, 09:35:01 AM »
Just admit that you need to switch the policy because of a lack of playable numbers; conference with the retirees and give them a bone .. tell them they are going to be asked, occasionally, to unretire their numbers to young men who they approve of.  
[/quote]

Even if the numbers themselves were retired, aren't there still something like 28 playable numbers left?  That being said, at the rate we're honoring ex-players, we would have a problem in 20 years or so. :)

Harrison

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2006, 09:38:31 AM »
Well I guess I am in the minority.  Most programs retire the numbers of their legendary players to never be worn again. i think that is awesome.  Why would we have some stupid policy that retires a jersey and then let's some other player use the same number.  That is dumb.  I guess if Mu came out and said that is our policy I would be OK it, but the Media guides that I have for the last 35 years say "retired numbers".  Lastly, the available numbers argument is extremely weak.  Unless my math is wrong there are 36 available numers.  We have retired approx. 6.  are we saying we cannot pick 13 numbers out of 30?   ::)

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2006, 10:08:07 AM »
The allowed numbers are single and double digits between 0 and 5 (i.e. 0, 00, 1-5, 10-15, 20-25, 30-35, 40-45, and 50-55 - this is so that the refs can use hand signals between them and the official scorer).  So yes, 32 numbers.

The other factor against retiring numbers, is that many athletes are very superstitious, and WANT to retain their numbers.  I know, crazy (I'm not superstitious), but I also would hate to lose an awesome recruit because we couldn't give him a stoopid number.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2006, 10:26:38 AM »
just a thought but we're not the only basketball team in the country that retires numbers.. err.. jerseys.. I am sure others have similar problems with the numberspace decreasing as time goes on.  Have any of them "unretired" numbers or changed policy like what seems to be happening in this case?

Further, american sign language allows someone to sign digits 0-9 with one hand.  I wonder if there has ever been any thought by the ncaa to go this route and open up the numberspace some more?
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2006, 10:28:55 AM »
The other factor against retiring numbers, is that many athletes are very superstitious, and WANT to retain their numbers.  I know, crazy (I'm not superstitious), but I also would hate to lose an awesome recruit because we couldn't give him a stoopid number.

Rocky you have a point.  I know I was extremely superstitious about my number in high school and college.  I don't know that we would ever lose a recruit over a number but recruits have been lost for less(in the country, I don't know about MU).  I think this is a non-issue though, let the kid whatever number he wants and move on.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

bheitz

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2006, 10:32:35 AM »
I have to say I'm disappointed that GT went to the papers.  At the same time I'm not surprised that he's a bit miffed.  I like retired numbers, but I also understand that there could be a need to re-use numbers.

MU has had plenty of time to get the policy straight.  I would suggest to take down the current banners and put up the jerseys.  Granted you probably won't have the originals or styles, but you've got to start somewhere.

tomahawkchop

• Walk-On
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2006, 10:33:20 AM »
This is just typical Marquette cluelessness on display.  From Fr Wild and the Warriors/Eagles/Gold fiasco through that doofus Cords comments regarding this screw-up, MU has no inkling how to deal with bad PR.

MU is just a very poorly run university, imo.  

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2006, 10:40:36 AM »
How can anybody point the finger of blame on Thompson??? He's 100 percent correct. He shouldn't have had to go to Marquette about this...Marquette should have come to him.

Make no mistake, this was done with full knowledged that the number was retired. It shows absolute no class by Marquette and is a complete lack of respect for a legendary former Marquette player. I don't know if those of you who are blaming Thompson for this are current students or what, but you're just plain wrong. This was raised as a red flag on Ahoya months ago and you're telling me nobody thought to mention it to George? Who is running the PR side of things in that athletic department? Perhaps the JS can do a follow up on the ridiculous radio situation.

Warrior1969

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2006, 10:41:14 AM »
Why was nothing ever said by GT or anyone else about Novak wearing #20 for 4 years?  Or Amo wearing 43 for 2 years?  #31 has already been "retired" TWICE!  GT seems like he is completely clueless that this happens?

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2006, 10:45:48 AM »
Not to change the topic too much but I found thought this was a good source on hand signals for refs (although numbers seem to be by number of fingers raised regardless of position):
http://www.firstbasesports.com/basketball_signals.html

the ASL numbering scheme is:
http://www.lessontutor.com/eesASL4.html

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2006, 10:50:40 AM »
31 was worn twice because it wasn't retired. When Rivers wore it, it was before it was retired for Ellis. And 43 was only retired two years ago, which is why Amo wore it initially. And are you joking about 20? Maurice Lucas? That number was retired LAST YEAR! That's why 20 was worn. Your arguments are ridiculous. George Thompson is 100 percent right! Marquette blew this one big time!!

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2006, 11:01:15 AM »
George Thompson is 100 percent right!

Disagree...he was 100% surprised (apparently), and the fault for that rests on MU.  However, taking his beef up in the media is not the right move, in my opinion.  What, was he taking lessons from UWM?

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2006, 11:08:02 AM »
Further, american sign language allows someone to sign digits 0-9 with one hand.  I wonder if there has ever been any thought by the ncaa to go this route and open up the numberspace some more?

I looked at your links, and I can see why they limit it to 5.  6-9 are a little harder to distinguish...and this way you can clearly do 2 digits up to 55 on 2 hands

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2006, 11:10:24 AM »
Agreed - but many swimming competitions use the asl hand signals (for lane numbers) across the length of olympic sized swimming pools without much in the way of issues so it has to be somewhat decent even at a distance.