Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Start the Number Controversy Again, Thompson Mad, Hayward To Wear 32  (Read 20320 times)

Djgoldnboy

• Starter
Re: Start the Number Controversy Again, Thompson Mad, Hayward To Wear 32
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2006, 02:19:59 PM »
It'll be interesting to see if George no shows at the player reunion game vs West Virginia this year, or if he'll be settled down by then and attend it.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2006, 04:17:49 PM »
Seems to me if it was half-hearted MU would simply read the Media Guide definition where it says jersey was retired and would not make Lazar change the number.  Instead, Lazar is changing the number and Cords did apologize. 

Funny how words can be interpreted differently.  The Media Guide I posted above, in the index says "Retired Numbers" .. the top of the page says "Marquette Retired Numbers" .. the text inside opens the possibility of interpretation, when it says MU honors the best by "retiring their jersey numbers".

Personally, I read that as numbers.  If you close your right eye, it looks like they retire jerseys, though.   ;)

I read it and understood it to be retired jerseys...I think you will see in the next year media guide (probably not this year's as it might be too late to correct) that it will say retired jersey numbers and retired numbers.  Al's #77 (which was retired while I worked there) is a non eligible number and he didn't play for MU so it's a truly a retired number...albeit a number that can never exist.  Just my hunch, but expect some clarity over this in the media guide.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2006, 04:19:48 PM »
Tomahawk...with all due respect I don't think Cords could have done a damn thing about the nickname change.  It was get behind it or leave.  DiUlio made the call and if Cords were to not back the President, he would have been fired.  No way a president of a university can make that level of a decision and not convey it to his direct reports with the understanding they walk in lockstep behind it, even if they don't agree.  Cords would have had no choice.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 04:21:47 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

feedback