'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: why can't vander finish?!  (Read 8437 times)

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
why can't vander finish?!
« on: December 29, 2011, 09:44:56 PM »
Is it just me or is Vander absolutely terrible at blowing a great move to the hoop with a biffed layup!?!?!? He makes great moves to the hole only to be denied by a wide open rim!?!?  whats up with this guy, he is turning out to be nothing by hype with no ability to finish!!!!!!!

mufansince72

• Starter
Re: why can't vander finish?!
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 09:46:11 PM »
It would probably help if he looked at the basket once in a while

nyg

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 09:46:34 PM »
One point and two turnovers.

Junior has zero points and three turnovers.

Gardner has two points

Thats three of out starters.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 09:48:44 PM »

Gardner has two points

beyond bad.

DCWarriors04

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 09:50:52 PM »
This team looks LOST

nyg

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 09:51:19 PM »

Gardner has two points

Oh, and the other starters two are seniors.  

Les Nessman

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 09:53:58 PM »
It's one thing to be a great defender, but every point he does give up is a point someone else on the team is going to have to make up for since Vander can't score.

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 09:54:42 PM »
Is it just me or is Vander absolutely terrible at blowing a great move to the hoop with a biffed layup!?!?!? He makes great moves to the hole only to be denied by a wide open rim!?!?  whats up with this guy, he is turning out to be nothing by hype with no ability to finish!!!!!!!

Your life must be awful.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 09:56:57 PM »
I have it on good authority that he can finish.

VanderBabyBlue

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 09:58:12 PM »
Remember around this time last year when he announced he'd forgo the draft and return for his sophomore year? Ha.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 09:59:34 PM »
Vander can't play against quality competition yet.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 10:01:06 PM »
Apparently he can't finish but he can turn the ball over in addition to his lack of having an outside shot. smh
SS Marquette

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2011, 10:29:42 PM »
Much like Jerel McNeal as an underclassman, Vander isn't in control when he jumps. He also jumps out instead of up. It's nearly impossible to put any kind of touch on a shot when a player is flying full speed past the hoop. He needs to get himself under control when he leaves the ground and leap as straight up as possible. It's a very correctable issue but odds are, he's been doing it his entire life so it's a tough habit to break.

Da 'Lanche

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2011, 10:36:17 PM »
I have been a pretty staunch supporter of vander the last two years asking for patience as he is still young and has so much upside because of his athleticism.   He also, usually, does the unnoticed things well like defense, rebounding and not turning the ball over.  I thought he really showed progress at the Kohl hole this year and then the last few games he has really had miserable overall performances.   He is back to a lack of confidence in his offense and that carries over to his teammates who just do not look for him to contribute from the outside.  I know he was highly recruited.....but, the dude was ranked really high coming out of high school (which is weak in Wisconsin) and the AAU circuit where he thrived.   Take his name out of the equation....a top 25 (or so) recruit hitting his sophomore stride should be doing a LOT more for a team as a starter than being a liability on offense.  I still have hope, but, c'mon man....start showing something out there!  Even if it mimmicked his progress earlier in the year, I would take it.

wojosdojo

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2011, 10:39:41 PM »
Feel the exact same.

godzilla

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2011, 10:41:02 PM »
Much like Jerel McNeal as an underclassman, Vander isn't in control when he jumps. He also jumps out instead of up. It's nearly impossible to put any kind of touch on a shot when a player is flying full speed past the hoop. He needs to get himself under control when he leaves the ground and leap as straight up as possible. It's a very correctable issue but odds are, he's been doing it his entire life so it's a tough habit to break.

How does that poor form not get corrected during the summer?

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2011, 10:41:20 PM »

I'm not sure how McNeal got so much worse after he graduated.  As a soph, McNeal was probably the best player on a top 30ish team in the country.  Vander Blue is nowhere near where McNeal the sophomore was.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2011, 10:43:53 PM »
I'm not sure how McNeal got so much worse after he graduated.  As a soph, McNeal was probably the best player on a top 30ish team in the country.  Vander Blue is nowhere near where McNeal the sophomore was.

I wasn't comparing their overall games. I was simply saying that McNeal had the same issues with being out of control when jumping and attempting to finish at the rim.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2011, 10:49:39 PM »
I wasn't comparing their overall games. I was simply saying that McNeal had the same issues with being out of control when jumping and attempting to finish at the rim.

Jerel drove us all crazy with his decision making, but at the end of the day he was a scorer. A prolific scorer. Vander is not.

Let's also keep in mind that Jerel played with point guard with explosive quickness. You can hardly say that about Junior. We are undermanned at our ball handling positions. DJO is more like McNeal than Vander is. Vander is like Brandon Bell at this point.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2011, 10:51:50 PM »
Jerel drove us all crazy with his decision making, but at the end of the day he was a scorer. A prolific scorer. Vander is not.

Let's also keep in mind that Jerel played with point guard with explosive quickness. You can hardly say that about Junior. We are undermanned at our ball handling positions. DJO is more like McNeal than Vander is. Vander is like Brandon Bell at this point.

+1 on everything you said.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2011, 10:53:33 PM »
2-17 in his last 3 games.  I think a lot of people are expecting too much from him based on some good games against cupcakes.....exactly like last year.  I think Mayo needs to be seriously considered to start.  The only reason I would think about NOT starting Mayo is that he gives needed offensive punch off the bench with DG now starting,  but I have no doubt that Mayo is a more effective player.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 10:57:28 PM by DomJamesToTheBasket »

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2011, 10:54:59 PM »
I have it on good authority that he can finish.

Especially if you call him Vander Orange, he can finish strong.   ;D
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2011, 10:58:12 PM »

What in the hell are people reading? I said that Vander's out of control jumping is similar to McNeal's as an underclassman. That's it. Jumping. Not overall game. Not as a scorer. Not as a ballhandler. Not as anything else. Jumping.

muhs03

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2011, 11:04:37 PM »
He just hasnt figured out that his athletic ability was what separated him from his high school competition...and wont seperate him from high D1 competition.

WarriorHal

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2011, 12:36:18 AM »
Your life must be awful.

I was waiting for MUCam to come to Vander's defense. The OP must have an "awful life" because he points out what everyone with two eyes can see. Vander has no offensive game and often cannot make a contested layup against high-level competition. Against Wisconsin, I expressed frustration that Vander missed layup after layup, even though he contributed in other areas. But people who state the obvious are attacked for, as MUCam puts it, lacking a complete understanding of the game.

Vander does have good athletic skills, so he can play defense and rebounds well for a guard. I've been following MU basketball since 1970, so I have figured out that there's a lot more to the game than just scoring. But a five-star national recruit should have much more game than what he has shown so far.