[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: why can't vander finish?!  (Read 8439 times)

NersEllenson

• All American
Re: why can't vander finish?!
« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2011, 08:11:01 AM »
Unfortunately, Vander is a product of very poor youth coaching, and it is now coming back to bite him big time.

The reason why he struggles so much against quality (high-major) competition is that he can't drive the basketball. And he can't drive it because he plays too upright. That's why he gets cut off going baseline so much. His defender beats him to the spot.

It takes more than just quickness to drive the basketball. You need proper body technique. Guys that are good at penetrating get lower to the floor and have their bodies learning towards the basket. They can get on the defenders hip and then turn/position themselves by them. Similar to an outside pass rusher in football.

Vander is unable to make that turn because he is so high. Instead he relies on his natural quickness and using his off arm to shield the defender. This works against lower competition, but not against athletic guys who can move their feet. Unless his technique changes, he will struggle driving past guys, especially on the wing.

Very astute analysis, however, I wouldn't say Vander's inability to get low on his drives is so much a product of coaching, as it is natural body lean/athleticism.  Not sure you can really coach it.  You tend to either have it (Wade), McNeal and Mayo to an extent - or you don't (Vander).  Vander is a very upright player.  Perhaps with some additional strength he'll get some different body lean capability...but just don't think it is something you can really work at...body either allows it or doesn't..
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2011, 09:27:55 AM »
  Very astute analysis, however, I wouldn't say Vander's inability to get low on his drives is so much a product of coaching, as it is natural body lean/athleticism.  Not sure you can really coach it.  You tend to either have it (Wade), McNeal and Mayo to an extent - or you don't (Vander).  Vander is a very upright player.  Perhaps with some additional strength he'll get some different body lean capability...but just don't think it is something you can really work at...body either allows it or doesn't..

Certainly, some guys have naturally better body lean than others. Butler was terrific in this respect and one of the reasons he was a great driver. However, Vander is very athletic, and I believe he could have been taught to play lower to the floor. You're right to certain exact, he may never have the body lean of McNeal or even a Todd Mayo, but it could be much better than it is today.

Instead, he is almost 100% upright and consistently uses his off arm to clear/shield defenders, which is a horrible habit. Similar to his jump shot, playing upright wasn't a big deal in his youth basketball days because he was so much more athletic than the others kids, but now it is hurting him.

I like Vander and I see value he brings to the game outside of just scoring the basketball. However against high-major teams, he will be a negative in the half court because he's not an outside shooter and  he can't get to the rim. If MU had a big-time scoring PG, along with Jae and DJO, Vander's lack of the offense from the wing wouldn't be so glaring.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2011, 12:34:38 PM »
If only we could take Vander's athleticism and defense and graft it with Mayo's offensive prowess.
SS Marquette