[Today at 10:40:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 10:35:41 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:14:22 AM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 09:51:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: 29 years ago today...  (Read 204281 times)

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: 20 years ago today...
« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2013, 09:04:27 AM »
"Lighting" (sic) or "Spirit" would have sucked far worse than "Golden Eagles".

Those are names you give an Arena Football team.

...and an expansion hockey team. Tampa Bay had been added within the last year or two when MU floated out Lightning to us. So "creative".

Do others remember where they voted? I'm having memories now of the dorm cafeteria having the ballots. I made my votes, ate, then puked due to the idea of moving away from Warriors as the official nickname.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2013, 09:13:06 AM »
...Sgt. Pepper taught the band to play?

Sorry...that's the first thing that came to mind.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
Re: 18 years ago today...
« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2013, 09:25:43 AM »
Might also have something to do with the fact that Fordham is almost 50 spots higher in the US News Rankings than SLU (take the rankings for what they are, but perception is often reality), and Fordham is in New York City, while SLU is in Saint Freaking Louis, Missouri.

Having graduated from Marquette and SLU Law, I must say the "Island" effect is jarring at SLU. Campus is 2.5 to 3 miles from the Arch and downtown St. Louis, and while it is an extremely well-manicured campus with statues and artificial ponds, the neighborhood goes south REAL fast once you get two blocks out in pretty much any direction.
Fordham is in the Bronx. I haven't been there in a long time, but last time I was there the neighborhood surrounding it was horrendous. And not two blocks out...right outside the gates.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2013, 09:30:17 AM »
Marquette shouldn't have a fence.  A fence sends completely the wrong message about how the campus should interact with its community.

Furthermore any problem with crime related to the campus generally occurs blocks off campus where a fence wouldn't exist anyway.  On campus there isn't a crime problem - or at least one that is significantly different than most campuses. 

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2013, 09:39:52 AM »
Marquette shouldn't have a fence.  A fence sends completely the wrong message about how the campus should interact with its community.

Furthermore any problem with crime related to the campus generally occurs blocks off campus where a fence wouldn't exist anyway.  On campus there isn't a crime problem - or at least one that is significantly different than most campuses. 

Dahmer

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2013, 09:53:41 AM »
it is an extremely well-manicured campus with statues and artificial ponds, the neighborhood goes south REAL fast once you get two blocks out in pretty much any direction.

Sounds like it goes south real fast once you get two blocks in campus...

One can only wonder about this one...

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2013, 09:55:01 AM »
Dahmer

I think you are proving my point.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2013, 09:55:37 AM »
I do not understand this unbridled hatred for Gold.  I understand the unbridled hatred for getting rid of Warriors, I agree with it.  But Gold is a far cooler name that Golden Eagles (Again Warriors is the preferred name but that is not going to happen).

Gold is unique  No one else has the name Gold.  Gold puts in with a select number of schools that use a color as their mascot.  I like MU among this select list:

Stanford = Cardinal (its the color not the bird)
U of Chicago = Maroons
Harvard = Crimson
NYU = Violets
Syracuse = Orange
Cornell = Big Red
Denison = Big Red
Dartmouth = Big Green

I would rather be associated with the schools above than this list:

Cal State-L.A. Golden Eagles
Charleston (WV) Golden Eagles
Clarion Golden Eagles
John Brown University Golden Eagles
Oral Roberts Golden Eagles
Southern Miss Golden Eagles
SUNY Brockport Golden Eagles
Tennessee Tech Golden Eagles
Spaluding Golden Eagles
Charleston Golden Eagles
Northeastern Illinois Golden Eagles
La Sierra Golden Eagles
Cornerstone Golden Eagles
St. Joes - Long Island Golden Eagles
Minn - Cookson Golden Eagles

You guys blew it.  We would be better off as Gold.  Instead you all whined like Occupy Wall Street and made it worse.  Thanks a lot!!

(and again!  I'm not saying it's better than Warriors)

Although, the Universities you list above are associated with colors, they aren't used like the Golden Eagles is.  Harvard is Harvard.  All Ivy's are associated with a color.  

Now, although Dartmouth is the Big Green their unofficial mascot is Keggy the Keg (one of the most brilliant mascots of all time).  Cornell is the Big Red Bears, NYU adopted the Bobcat, U. Chicago the Phoenix... for sporting purposes they still have all adopted a mascot.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2013, 10:02:11 AM »
Although, the Universities you list above are associated with colors, they aren't used like the Golden Eagles is.  Harvard is Harvard.  All Ivy's are associated with a color.  

Now, although Dartmouth is the Big Green their unofficial mascot is Keggy the Keg (one of the most brilliant mascots of all time).  Cornell is the Big Red Bears, NYU adopted the Bobcat, U. Chicago the Phoenix... for sporting purposes they still have all adopted a mascot.

There is no more thrilling moment in the cavalcade of sport than when Scrotie takes to the ice to fire up the RISD faithful...GO NADS!!!

Death on call

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2013, 10:17:47 AM »

Not true ...

Princeton is the Tigers
Yale is the Bulldogs
Penn is the Quakers
Columbia is the Lions
Brown is the (brown) Bears

The rest are colors

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #60 on: October 14, 2013, 10:35:05 AM »

Not true ...

Princeton is the Tigers
Yale is the Bulldogs
Penn is the Quakers
Columbia is the Lions

The rest are colors

Actually, G, you are both correct. Each Ivy is associated wit a distinct color that is used in a variety of applications (Rep Ties, Blazers, Ivy League Club Locker Name Tags, kitsch, etc...) But only 3 of the schools use the color for team id.

Death on call

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2013, 06:53:37 PM »

Not true ...

Princeton is the Tigers
Yale is the Bulldogs
Penn is the Quakers
Columbia is the Lions

The rest are colors

Keefe answered it, but to add the colors to the above:

Princeton-Orange
Yale---  Color actually Yale Blue
Penn---  The Red and Blue (was originally the nickname/mascot)
Columbia---  Color actually Columbia Blue
Brown--- Brown    (note Cornell is also the Big Red Bears)

Some officially adopted additional nicknames (i.e. Penn) whereas some just left it unofficial.  The difference between these cases though and MU (gold) is that there was a long standing tradition of the colors having symbolic meaning that persists today (some of the shades are officially referenced by the University...aka Yale Blue, Columbia Blue and Harvard Crimson.

The colors of many Universities in part come from the Universities first president (and the Ivy league school they came from) or from an indication of their high standard of education (chosen IVY colors to reflect high standard).  In that regard, the colors establish reputation and honor.  Gold has no symbolic meaning to MU or Milwaukee/Wisconsin so it would be simply strange.

In fact, when I think Gold, I think California Gold and Berkeley...(whose other color is ...Yale Blue).

I would rather have us be officially just...Marquette.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 06:57:16 PM by forgetful »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #62 on: October 14, 2013, 07:22:41 PM »
Maybe Bob Costas can weigh in....maybe someone will care that Bob Costas weighed in

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #63 on: October 14, 2013, 07:25:29 PM »
Sam Sauceda can weigh in
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #64 on: October 15, 2013, 07:13:51 AM »
I just got off the phone with Royce. He is a bit hard of hearing but he has a fascinating story to tell. We shared our love of fly fishing and it turns out Royce is a Marine who served throughout the Pacific Campaign. Royce was in the 3rd wave to hit the beach at Iwo Jima - the wave when the Japanese defenders finally opened fire. Royce related that his unit took 80% casualties within the first 10 minutes of hitting the black sand. He mentioned that by the end of that first day his Platoon Leader was a Lance Corporal - everyone else in the chain of command was gone. Royce fought on Iwo for a week before finally catching a few. He was awarded the Bronze Star, Purple Heart and his war was over.

He said he was also on the front page of the last edition of the Milwaukee Sentinel, pictured with an American Flag. Unlike too many other nations, our military has always consisted of citizen soldiers like Royce who answered the call to duty, served with distinction, then returned to their civilian life. But while Royce left Iwo Jima it is clear that Iwo Jima never left him. God bless the Royce Dam's of this Republic.

I watched The Pacific over the summer.  Great story on John Vassilione who ended up dieing on Iwo.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: 21 years ago today...
« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2014, 08:40:41 PM »
Keeping the candle lit.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2014, 09:43:46 PM »
Change it back to Warriors or lets start using golden eagles a lil more??

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2014, 09:49:23 PM »
Huh?

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2014, 10:29:49 PM »
Huh?
Just annoying how everyone uses warriors when the team isn't actually called that. I'm all for changing it back but it just sucks how we all hate golden eagles

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #69 on: October 12, 2014, 10:36:14 PM »
Why on earth would you find it annoying that people use the name Warriors?  It's the administrations own fault for picking such a stupid name that nobody likes.  We don't have to accept it.  Let's go Warriors!

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #70 on: October 12, 2014, 10:45:17 PM »
Why on earth would you find it annoying that people use the name Warriors?  It's the administrations own fault for picking such a stupid name that nobody likes.  We don't have to accept it.  Let's go Warriors!
Right everyone hates the name. It's annoying to me that we all hate the name the team is actually called. I wish we would get a name we like.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #71 on: October 13, 2014, 06:24:00 AM »
I wish we would get a name we like.
Something like, "Warriors?" Great idea!

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #72 on: October 13, 2014, 06:32:24 AM »
I just got off the phone with Royce. He is a bit hard of hearing but he has a fascinating story to tell. We shared our love of fly fishing and it turns out Royce is a Marine who served throughout the Pacific Campaign. Royce was in the 3rd wave to hit the beach at Iwo Jima - the wave when the Japanese defenders finally opened fire. Royce related that his unit took 80% casualties within the first 10 minutes of hitting the black sand. He mentioned that by the end of that first day his Platoon Leader was a Lance Corporal - everyone else in the chain of command was gone. Royce fought on Iwo for a week before finally catching a few. He was awarded the Bronze Star, Purple Heart and his war was over.

He said he was also on the front page of the last edition of the Milwaukee Sentinel, pictured with an American Flag. Unlike too many other nations, our military has always consisted of citizen soldiers like Royce who answered the call to duty, served with distinction, then returned to their civilian life. But while Royce left Iwo Jima it is clear that Iwo Jima never left him. God bless the Royce Dam's of this Republic.
Semper Fi, Mr. Royce. Any Jarhead that survived Iwo Jima was a hero.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #73 on: October 13, 2014, 06:35:49 AM »
Something like, "Warriors?" Great idea!

Changing the name from Warriors was a pile of bull dung. Absolutely a stupid and PC pile of horse crap combined with a mixture of bull dung and pig slop.

They will always be the Warriors and any PC girly name they come up with is automatically relegated to the dung heap. That is a rule of life.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #74 on: October 13, 2014, 07:24:39 AM »
Wish they would've gone the Golden State route minus the stupid cartoon mascot. Make it more of a trojan warrior. Would anyone have cared?