[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Nukem2
[April 19, 2024, 09:24:02 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 19, 2024, 08:17:02 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 29 years ago today...  (Read 205903 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: 21 years ago today...
« Reply #100 on: October 13, 2014, 01:23:22 PM »
You know who cares about this?  Alum who went to MU 20+ years ago.

You know who doesn't care about this?  The vast majority of current students and alum from < 20 years ago.

It was a stupid decision to change it, but man, the issue is dead.  Bunch of crotchety old farts on this message board...

During the post-Gold-fiasco vote, I had an opportunity to ask Diener - then a pro with the Pacers - which name he voted for. He said, "Golden Eagles, of course. We went to the Final Four as the Golden Eagles. I was a Golden Eagle. I will always be a Golden Eagle."

I'm an old dude, and I was a Warrior, but you are exactly right. For pretty much everybody associated with the program for the last two decades, Golden Eagles is what they know.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #101 on: October 13, 2014, 02:07:11 PM »
Yes, and someday we will taste the unfathomable sadness in the tears of the Golden Eagle alums/fans when we change back to Warriors.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #102 on: October 13, 2014, 02:16:01 PM »
When your leader makes a decision you don't like (provided its not unethical) you swallow your pride, move on, and try to make the best of it.
This is known as being a lemming.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #103 on: October 13, 2014, 02:30:26 PM »
During the post-Gold-fiasco vote, I had an opportunity to ask Diener - then a pro with the Pacers - which name he voted for. He said, "Golden Eagles, of course. We went to the Final Four as the Golden Eagles. I was a Golden Eagle. I will always be a Golden Eagle."

I'm an old dude, and I was a Warrior, but you are exactly right. For pretty much everybody associated with the program for the last two decades, Golden Eagles is what they know.
Yeah, it is what it is.  I'm an old f*rt from back when and I'm a Warrior deep down in my heart.   But, the name just ain't comin back folks.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #104 on: October 13, 2014, 02:45:36 PM »

So, besides b*tiching about it on the Internet, what exactly are you doing to fight the power and get Warriors reinstated?

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #105 on: October 13, 2014, 02:45:57 PM »
As a recent alum, I am happy with Golden Eagles. Would Warriors be cooler? Yeah. But it's never happening and that's our own fault. Shouldn't have made a mascot as racist as Willie Wampum.

It's long past time to move on. When your leader makes a decision you don't like (provided its not unethical) you swallow your pride, move on, and try to make the best of it. Continuing to gripe and moan just makes us look bad.

Willie Wampum was banned over 20 years prior to the name change. If that was given as the reason behind the change, it's the slowest reaction in history. The school could have moved away from the Native American imagery and been fine. Golden Eagles is just so bland.

And yes, I'm well aware the school will never go back to Warriors, which sucks.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #106 on: October 13, 2014, 03:36:45 PM »

Or a good solider. Or making the best of a bad situation.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #107 on: October 13, 2014, 03:41:09 PM »
Willie Wampum was banned over 20 years prior to the name change. If that was given as the reason behind the change, it's the slowest reaction in history. The school could have moved away from the Native American imagery and been fine. Golden Eagles is just so bland.

I 100% agree. Rather than own up to what we had done in the past, we attempted to sweep it under the rug. It's embarrassing really. We should have taken the opportunity to formally apologize for Willie Wampum, changed the imagery to Graeco-Roman, and educate our students why we had to change the imagery. It would have been an amazing opportunity to have educational conversations on past racism and make forward progress. Instead we tried to bury the past and pretend it never happened. The reaction was along the same lines that a small child would have.

That being said, it as twenty years ago. We have a new name. Rather than tearing ourselves down by saying how dumb it is, let's try to pride and support our alma mater.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #108 on: October 13, 2014, 04:34:48 PM »
That ship sailed so long ago it was around with the Nina, Pinta, and Santa Maria.    (Columbus Day)    And it isn't coming back.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #109 on: October 13, 2014, 05:09:10 PM »
MU got $$$ --> the name went away. Pretty easy.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #110 on: October 13, 2014, 05:18:03 PM »

Diener really knows that he is a Warrior. Just wants to remain PC.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #111 on: October 13, 2014, 06:13:17 PM »
Exactly what I was thinking. Have the logo be some roman warrior with a shield and spear. Personally get calls from Rome complaining, but did we even ask eagles if was ok to use their name?

I still think the best Warrior solution I have heard is Joan of Arc for a mascot. It's unique, non-Native American (kids could wear Knights armor instead of feathers), relates to both the religious tradition of the school and a landmark campus building, and would give us the distinction of being the only, and correct me if I'm wrong, major school with a female figure as lead mascot.

But like others have said, I think the Warrior ship has sailed, unfortunately.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #112 on: October 13, 2014, 06:22:03 PM »
As an alum who graduated 20+ years ago, we will always be the Warriors and nothing else. Will never understand why we didn't change to a different type of warrior instead of caving in to non-existent pressure.

WHAT THIS GUY SAID!!!!!

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #113 on: October 13, 2014, 06:34:42 PM »
I still think the best Warrior solution I have heard is Joan of Arc for a mascot.

That may have been my idea. I wanted us called the "Flames." Guess what we could do to a cheerleader at halftime!

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #114 on: October 13, 2014, 07:20:04 PM »

I don't see no frickin Golden Eagle

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #115 on: October 13, 2014, 08:07:12 PM »

I don't see no frickin Golden Eagle

I do see a Native American being told the direction to row the boat...

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #116 on: October 13, 2014, 08:12:07 PM »

Diener was on local television at the time rallying for Warriors (his eligibility having ended), so I'm going to call BS on this.

Da 'Lanche

• All American
« Reply #117 on: October 13, 2014, 08:23:25 PM »
I still think the best Warrior solution I have heard is Joan of Arc for a mascot. It's unique, non-Native American (kids could wear Knights armor instead of feathers), relates to both the religious tradition of the school and a landmark campus building, and would give us the distinction of being the only, and correct me if I'm wrong, major school with a female figure as lead mascot.

Let's not copy Notre Dame…that short, ugly ginger irish chick with the beard and pipe in green knickers is an embarrassment to that school...

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #118 on: October 13, 2014, 08:23:39 PM »
I do see a Native American being told the direction to row the boat...

Exactly.  The braintrust can bleach away the Warrior mascot whose imagery could have taken on a number of non-offensive symbols to make their political statement, but leaves that subservient imagery on its official seal.  #hypocrisy

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #119 on: October 13, 2014, 08:35:37 PM »
It's just a nickname.

And Audrey Hepburn was just a woman...

Death on call

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #120 on: October 13, 2014, 08:48:46 PM »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #121 on: October 13, 2014, 09:33:30 PM »
Diener was on local television at the time rallying for Warriors (his eligibility having ended), so I'm going to call BS on this.

I don't give a $hit whether you believe me or not. I was there and you weren't.

Go write a bunch more comments about how hiring Wojo would doom us to never getting any good recruits.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

🏀

• All American
« Reply #122 on: October 13, 2014, 09:57:32 PM »
Diener was anti-Gold, but has always been behind the Golden Eagle.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #123 on: October 13, 2014, 10:40:50 PM »
The alumns that are all up in arms don't realize that the world has passed them by.

If you were 22 twenty one years ago you are 43 today. Add a decade and you are 53.  Add two and you are 63 YEARS OLD.

The fight is over.  Marquette was on the right side of history. And that's what leadership is about.

Ring Out Ahoya
We Are Marquette

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #124 on: October 13, 2014, 10:54:33 PM »
The alumns that are all up in arms don't realize that the world has passed them by.

If you were 22 twenty one years ago you are 43 today. Add a decade and you are 53.  Add two and you are 63 YEARS OLD.

The fight is over.  Marquette was on the right side of history. And that's what leadership is about.

Ring Out Ahoya

Sorry buckwheat, you are wrong.

GO WARRIORS!!!! ;)

feedback