[Today at 07:04:13 PM]

Where is Marquette? by NickelDimer
[Today at 07:02:50 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by Judge Smails
[Today at 07:02:27 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: 29 years ago today...  (Read 204310 times)

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
Re: 26 years ago today...
« Reply #500 on: October 16, 2019, 08:40:23 AM »

By neighborhood, I was referring to the outer rings.  Campus proper, I believe got safer due to the ability of PS being armed and the focus on the blue light shuttles.  The areas surrounding campus, mainly southwest-24/25th Michigan, to west/northwest, 24th wells, kilbourn, state etc. east to 10th kilbourn and state and out.

Marquette has only had armed police for five years.  The area around campus is better than it was 30 years ago when I was in school.  Don't get me wrong, it's not great and I wouldn't be buying a house there, but Marquette has had a positive affect on the neighborhood.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #501 on: October 16, 2019, 08:41:02 AM »
Or how about Warriors, and donate a portion of all apparel sales to the Wounded Warriors project. That way we associate with American heroes and it is pretty hard to argue against that.

I made a similar proposal a few years ago. or endow several Native American scholarships.  Either way, not going to happen.

Go Warriors.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: 18 years ago today...
« Reply #502 on: October 16, 2019, 08:42:44 AM »
Junior year, 932 n 18th, a 50 yard crawl to Lenny's Tap at 18th and State.

Senior year, 23rd and Wisconsin - Camelot East apartments. Northeast corner, just east of the Ambassador Hotel. Hope you didn't get our apartment - we left it in something less than pristine condition.

September 1968 - June 1970. Not great neighborhoods, but none of my roommates or I ever had any problems.

We were at the Weston apartments, next to Scrub A Dub and the south side of Wisconsin.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #503 on: October 16, 2019, 08:44:27 AM »

By neighborhood, I was referring to the outer rings.  Campus proper, I believe got safer due to the ability of PS being armed and the focus on the blue light shuttles.  The areas surrounding campus, mainly southwest-24/25th Michigan, to west/northwest, 24th wells, kilbourn, state etc. east to 10th kilbourn and state and out.

That's not the "Marquette neighborhood", and kids have no reason to venture out that far.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 09:44:49 AM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #504 on: October 16, 2019, 08:58:22 AM »
Every time I've gone to campus the last few years, I've been impressed with how nice the neighborhood has become.

Agree with chickadee on the definition of "neighborhood." Venture too far outside it, and yes, it's not great. Same can be said of a great many city campuses nationwide. I'm proud of the infrastructure Marquette has put in place, and the way they've improved the territory they can control.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #505 on: October 16, 2019, 09:47:24 AM »
We were at the Weston apartments, next to Scrub A Dub and the south side of Wisconsin.

I had friends that lived in that building (if it's the same one I am thinking of).  One of them had painted the "Fame" logo on their living room wall, and you could see it from the street through the big picture window. When they told people that they lived in the Fame Apartment, everyone knew exactly what they were talking about.

They were also on a first-name basis with a prostitute who plied her trade in front of the building.
Have some patience, FFS.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #506 on: October 16, 2019, 08:23:25 PM »
That's not the "Marquette neighborhood", and kids have no reason to venture out that far.

They don’t??  Some live outside of MU proper. Cheezus, west hall was on 26th Wisconsin.  Not all of us were as well off as you chick.  Some venture out a little bit.  as we all know, the costs did come with more risk.  I was pushing it a little bit at 24 th and wells back in early 80’s
don't...don't don't don't don't

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #507 on: October 16, 2019, 08:26:30 PM »

Hey Chico’s, I lived there as well my junior year before moving to roach motel. 1st floor, left side, right next to the no tell motel parking lot across from ambassador before it was remodeled. 
don't...don't don't don't don't

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #508 on: October 16, 2019, 08:49:18 PM »
They don’t??  Some live outside of MU proper. Cheezus, west hall was on 26th Wisconsin.  Not all of us were as well off as you chick.  Some venture out a little bit.  as we all know, the costs did come with more risk.  I was pushing it a little bit at 24 th and wells back in early 80’s

Yeah butt Ma is cheap, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #509 on: October 16, 2019, 09:04:17 PM »

You know that west Hall has been gone for 20 years, right?  I don't know how long it's been since you have spent any time around campus, but very few (if any) students live west of 21st or north of State.  The housing stock is vastly improved from our days.  Today's parents wouldn't tolerate the conditions we lived in.

Have some patience, FFS.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #510 on: October 16, 2019, 09:24:06 PM »
You know that west Hall has been gone for 20 years, right?  I don't know how long it's been since you have spent any time around campus, but very few (if any) students live west of 21st or north of State.  The housing stock is vastly improved from our days.  Today's parents wouldn't tolerate the conditions we lived in.

Gone are the days when the Beer Can was the high water mark. West Hall was next to a brothel, yet George Webb's was a short sprint away (on the plus side...pick your plus).

MU82

• All American
« Reply #511 on: October 16, 2019, 09:48:34 PM »
Here was the "Soup Schedule" that was on the wall at the Webb's on 27th and Wells:

MONDAY - Bean and potato.

TUESDAY - Bean and ham.

WEDNESDAY - Bean and potato.

THURSDAY - Bean and ham.

FRIDAY - Bean and potato.

SATURDAY - Bean and ham.

SUNDAY - Bean.

As if that's not precious enough, the best thing about it was that they never had any of those soups. All they had was bean and bacon! I couldn't make that up. It was amazing!!

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #512 on: October 16, 2019, 10:09:52 PM »

I believe the final vote was between Golden Eagles and Hilltoppers.

Your belief is FALSE!

The final two was Golden Eagles and Lightning.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #513 on: October 17, 2019, 09:01:09 AM »
rocketman, you and I were neighbors!

My junior year (80-81), I lived on the northwest corner of 24th and Wells. Conveniently located kitty-corner from Midget Tavern and 3 blocks away from a George Webb.

It was a dive of a 4-bedroom apartment owned by an attorney. Cost us a total of $265/month -- $66.25 each, which was dirt cheap even back then. You get what you pay for. We had roaches galore, stopped sinks, a rickety deck we were afraid to go on, etc. One day, we got so fed up that 3 of us marched to the attorney's office, talking big about all the demands we were gonna make. We got there, said a few words ... and by the time he was finished with us, we were apologizing for taking his time.

Despite the conditions and the obviously terrible neighborhood, my buddies and I have lots of great memories. One of my roomies from back then, and his wife, just visited me and Mrs. 82 in Charlotte a couple weeks ago, and we reminisced about all the silliness.

LOVED my 4 years at Marquette so much!! Go Warriors!

OMG, a couple of my buddies lived in that building in 1970-72! It wasn't a paradise then, either.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #514 on: October 17, 2019, 09:08:12 AM »
Hey Chico’s, I lived there as well my junior year before moving to roach motel. 1st floor, left side, right next to the no tell motel parking lot across from ambassador before it was remodeled.

We were second floor, left side front of building.  Interesting part of town.  Seminary or something on one side, Scrub A dub on the other...Ambassador across the street.  Late night breakfast at Michaels. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #515 on: October 17, 2019, 09:10:03 AM »

I think you are right.  My freshman year the class was so large they had to put a bunch of students in West Hall and in the study areas of dorms.  What an absolute cluster that was.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #516 on: October 17, 2019, 09:24:26 AM »
Your belief is FALSE!

The final two was Golden Eagles and Lightning.

He may have been referring to the vote in 2005
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #517 on: October 17, 2019, 09:53:35 AM »
You know that west Hall has been gone for 20 years, right?

I loved my year at West.  I thought it was funny that the boundary on the LIMO map you linked is still two blocks short of where West was located.  It really was a bad place for a dorm, but it was a great place to live.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #518 on: October 17, 2019, 10:00:25 AM »
I just realized that three of the four places I lived at Marquette (McCormick, West and Carmel) are gone.  Wow.  I really need to get back to campus.  It's been a long, long time.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #519 on: October 17, 2019, 10:03:42 AM »
I just realized that three of the four places I lived at Marquette (McCormick, West and Carmel) are gone.  Wow.  I really need to get back to campus.  It's been a long, long time.

Glad you never lived in my hometown, SaW!!

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #520 on: October 17, 2019, 11:23:46 AM »

That wasn’t the line of discussion, but he often gets confused.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #521 on: October 17, 2019, 01:56:45 PM »
I loved my year at West.  I thought it was funny that the boundary on the LIMO map you linked is still two blocks short of where West was located.  It really was a bad place for a dorm, but it was a great place to live.

I was there the year it opened as a dorm. Old hotel and it actually was a great dorm. Lounge on top was great. Area was sh## but West Hall  was much nicer that anything on campus.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #522 on: October 17, 2019, 04:58:13 PM »

2005 isn't anywhere near 26 years ago by my math. JB is right. Golden Eagles and Lightning were the finalists when "Warriors" was dropped.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #523 on: October 17, 2019, 05:02:43 PM »
Yes, thank you for correcting my faulty memory.  I forgot about the whole Lightning thing.  For good reason.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #524 on: October 17, 2019, 05:06:36 PM »
The correct answer was always to not have a mascot. We Are Marquette. Ring Out Ahoya. No mention of a mascot in either of those. Let the media call us what they want. We would've met the Potowatomi request and not strayed from the roots that mean so much to so many. It was the right answer when we first went away from Warriors, it was the right answer in 2005, and it should be the right answer today.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback