[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: 29 years ago today...  (Read 204304 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: 18 years ago today...
« Reply #475 on: October 14, 2019, 04:57:52 PM »
What is considered the neighborhood?  I mean, how far out?  Early 80’s I lived on 24th &wells.  Walking, running and yes, sometimes stumbling, no issues.  And that was dahmer territory

rocketman, you and I were neighbors!

My junior year (80-81), I lived on the northwest corner of 24th and Wells. Conveniently located kitty-corner from Midget Tavern and 3 blocks away from a George Webb.

It was a dive of a 4-bedroom apartment owned by an attorney. Cost us a total of $265/month -- $66.25 each, which was dirt cheap even back then. You get what you pay for. We had roaches galore, stopped sinks, a rickety deck we were afraid to go on, etc. One day, we got so fed up that 3 of us marched to the attorney's office, talking big about all the demands we were gonna make. We got there, said a few words ... and by the time he was finished with us, we were apologizing for taking his time.

Despite the conditions and the obviously terrible neighborhood, my buddies and I have lots of great memories. One of my roomies from back then, and his wife, just visited me and Mrs. 82 in Charlotte a couple weeks ago, and we reminisced about all the silliness.

LOVED my 4 years at Marquette so much!! Go Warriors!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #476 on: October 14, 2019, 06:16:20 PM »

Well, I remember one article where he said "We could either build a fence around the place or work to improve the neighborhood."  They did the latter and it was a good choice.  The neighborhood around campus is much better than it was 25 years ago when I was in school - it's still not great, but it's better.

A lot better in my opinion.

We were 21st and Michigan and also 23rd and Wisconsin.  Roommates mugged several times coming home.

Putting the police in there was a smart move. 

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #477 on: October 14, 2019, 06:28:53 PM »
rocketman, you and I were neighbors!

My junior year (80-81), I lived on the northwest corner of 24th and Wells. Conveniently located kitty-corner from Midget Tavern and 3 blocks away from a George Webb.

It was a dive of a 4-bedroom apartment owned by an attorney. Cost us a total of $265/month -- $66.25 each, which was dirt cheap even back then. You get what you pay for. We had roaches galore, stopped sinks, a rickety deck we were afraid to go on, etc. One day, we got so fed up that 3 of us marched to the attorney's office, talking big about all the demands we were gonna make. We got there, said a few words ... and by the time he was finished with us, we were apologizing for taking his time.

Despite the conditions and the obviously terrible neighborhood, my buddies and I have lots of great memories. One of my roomies from back then, and his wife, just visited me and Mrs. 82 in Charlotte a couple weeks ago, and we reminisced about all the silliness.

LOVED my 4 years at Marquette so much!! Go Warriors!

Yes!  It was own by Ralph  anzivino. He taught at the law school. I lived on the first floor across from this young mom and 2/3 kids whose husband/boyfriend was in prison for assaulting his boxing manager

Do you remember the guys in the middle section having a finals party?  They were inviting people over to do “shots” I never heard anything but legend has it they were shooting at stuffed animals in their fireplace.

This is crazy all around!

Kitty corner from a laundromat and 2 blocks up from the talk of the town. I managed that for Wayne b for a semester.  Fulfilled one of al’s Prerequisites for a diploma!  And yes I learned a lot there.  I guess you could say it was within my major-biology🤷🏼‍♂️
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 06:35:15 PM by rocket surgeon »
don't...don't don't don't don't

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: 26 years ago today...
« Reply #478 on: October 14, 2019, 06:33:34 PM »
Was there extremely high lead levels in the water in that 23rd/24th neighborhood? 

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #479 on: October 14, 2019, 06:38:56 PM »
Was there extremely high lead levels in the water in that 23rd/24th neighborhood?

LOL on that on doc, maybe some formaldehyde from Jeffrey’s place but everyone knows guns werent legal and conceal carry was only for the “bad guys”  ::)

tower912

• All American
« Reply #480 on: October 14, 2019, 07:52:38 PM »
Yes!  It was own by Ralph  anzivino. He taught at the law school. I lived on the first floor across from this young mom and 2/3 kids whose husband/boyfriend was in prison for assaulting his boxing manager

Do you remember the guys in the middle section having a finals party?  They were inviting people over to do “shots” I never heard anything but legend has it they were shooting at stuffed animals in their fireplace.

Kitty corner from a laundromat and 2 blocks up from the talk of the town. I managed that for Wayne b for a semester.  Fulfilled one of al’s Prerequisites for a diploma!  And yes I learned a lot there.  I guess you could say it was within my major-biology🤷🏼‍♂️

22 and Michigan my senior year (87-88)     That was my laundromat.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #481 on: October 14, 2019, 08:31:45 PM »
A lot better in my opinion.

We were 21st and Michigan and also 23rd and Wisconsin.  Roommates mugged several times coming home.

Putting the police in there was a smart move.

Junior year, 932 n 18th, a 50 yard crawl to Lenny's Tap at 18th and State.

Senior year, 23rd and Wisconsin - Camelot East apartments. Northeast corner, just east of the Ambassador Hotel. Hope you didn't get our apartment - we left it in something less than pristine condition.

September 1968 - June 1970. Not great neighborhoods, but none of my roommates or I ever had any problems.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #482 on: October 14, 2019, 08:43:40 PM »

Norte dame, if I recall, had a big fence around their campus, right?  Only been their once for a b-ball game

South of Eddy and Angela Blvd is rough. South of Edison and SB Ave is really rough. As in Chicago multi gang killings in one night rough.

Many parts, not all, have turned into Gary.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #483 on: October 14, 2019, 08:52:07 PM »
Junior year, 932 n 18th, a 50 yard crawl to Lenny's Tap at 18th and State.

Senior year, 23rd and Wisconsin - Camelot East apartments. Northeast corner, just east of the Ambassador Hotel. Hope you didn't get our apartment - we left it in something less than pristine condition.

September 1968 - June 1970. Not great neighborhoods, but none of my roommates or I ever had any problems.

You musta been such a legend there, they named a tap after you-cool!  Remember tomas?  Celebrated getting into d-school there.  That couldn’t have been more than a 25 yard crawl from those apartments with the  balcony and underground parking. Moving on up there baby

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #484 on: October 15, 2019, 07:43:48 AM »
How ironic that the announcement came on what I understand is now referred to not as Columbus Day but as Indigenous Peoples Day (in some PC circles).

What's more indigenous, a Genoan sailing under a Spanish flag, or our Warrior? Mo contest.

AccredoJoe

• Walk-On
« Reply #485 on: October 15, 2019, 09:45:19 AM »
Yes as a proud Alum still hate the Golden Eagles. The Hill Toppers and The Avalanche were previous names and should of been an alternative. There was a suggestion I thought was great during the discussion. Have a Hittite Warrior as a mascot since the Israelites slew them many millennium go and there is no one left to complain. I also remember a lot of talk from some of the academics that warrior is a violent oppressive name and should never be used. Maybe we'd never get the Warriors back but lose the lame Golden Eagles.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #486 on: October 15, 2019, 10:47:38 AM »

That's so effen funny, rocket. We used to call it the Anzivino Dive. You'd turn on the bathroom light at night and the roaches would go scurrying. I never brought my girlfriend there because it was such an embarrassing dive; I was always at her place.

On Sundays my roommates and I would watch football and whoever got the low card on the cut had to go make the Mickey D's run.

We went to Midget pretty much every night. Harp and Shamrock was our other main hangout that year, and lots of late nights at Webb's on 27th.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #487 on: October 15, 2019, 11:06:33 AM »
Yes as a proud Alum still hate the Golden Eagles. The Hill Toppers and The Avalanche were previous names and should of been an alternative. There was a suggestion I thought was great during the discussion. Have a Hittite Warrior as a mascot since the Israelites slew them many millennium go and there is no one left to complain. I also remember a lot of talk from some of the academics that warrior is a violent oppressive name and should never be used. Maybe we'd never get the Warriors back but lose the lame Golden Eagles.

One day the baby goats will come out in force to picket, so people know that Golden Eagles can be even more violent and oppressive.  Of course, they will be ignored by those bigoted against dumb animals.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #488 on: October 15, 2019, 11:16:23 AM »

I believe the final vote was between Golden Eagles and Hilltoppers.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #489 on: October 15, 2019, 11:37:56 AM »

Or how about Warriors, and donate a portion of all apparel sales to the Wounded Warriors project. That way we associate with American heroes and it is pretty hard to argue against that.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #490 on: October 15, 2019, 11:42:37 AM »
What is considered the neighborhood?  I mean, how far out?  Early 80’s I lived on 24th &wells.  Walking, running and yes, sometimes stumbling, no issues.  And that was dahmer territory

One incident I will never forget was 1980, walking down wisco ave, broad daylight with one of my room mates.  At approx 20th/ 21st a car load of, umm guys, pulls up to us and asks us where 5th and fly our is...I proceed to naively tell him how to get there as he raises a gun while the “group” in the car start laughing their big arses off while we put our heads down and ran dropping a trail of...we never reported it to public safety or the police figuring, what? 

I don’t think the neighborhood has improved.  As a matter of fact, I believe it’s gotten worse.  the intro of public safety being armed, the shuttles and cell phones have provided some nice insulation.  No physical walls, but beefing up the interior had to help

Norte dame, if I recall, had a big fence around their campus, right?  Only been their once for a b-ball game

I haven't heard of this happening recently, so yeah, the neighborhood has gotten better.    What is your reasoning to say it has gotten worse? 

When parents are reduced to complaining about the "sketchy people" at the 16th street bus stop, you know that it is safer than in our day.

As far as defining the neighborhood, the LIMO map is a good guide:

https://www.marquette.edu/campus-safety/documents/limo-boundaries.pdf
Have some patience, FFS.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #491 on: October 15, 2019, 11:58:16 AM »
Or how about Warriors, and donate a portion of all apparel sales to the Wounded Warriors project. That way we associate with American heroes and it is pretty hard to argue against that.

Awesome idea
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #492 on: October 15, 2019, 01:16:15 PM »

Best idea in Scoop history.

So I'm assuming there's no chance.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #493 on: October 15, 2019, 06:01:10 PM »
Best idea in Scoop history.

So I'm assuming there's no chance.

I am completely against the idea, so thankfully, there is no chance.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #494 on: October 15, 2019, 06:51:05 PM »
I'd rather go back to Warriors and use Joan of Arc as the mascot
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #495 on: October 15, 2019, 07:51:29 PM »
I'd rather go back to Warriors and use Joan of Arc as the mascot

This!
Have some patience, FFS.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #496 on: October 15, 2019, 08:27:51 PM »
That's so effen funny, rocket. We used to call it the Anzivino Dive. You'd turn on the bathroom light at night and the roaches would go scurrying. I never brought my girlfriend there because it was such an embarrassing dive; I was always at her place.

On Sundays my roommates and I would watch football and whoever got the low card on the cut had to go make the Mickey D's run.

We went to Midget pretty much every night. Harp and Shamrock was our other main hangout that year, and lots of late nights at Webb's on 27th.

I miss the Midget Tap. Recently came across photos with Frank Herald. What a nice gentleman.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #497 on: October 15, 2019, 09:42:02 PM »

This is great! You ain’t kidding!  That place was the Hilton of roach motels!  Used to take a can of spray like a flame thrower into the John. It sure made for quick deucers and showers..yikes!  Needed group therapy after that stay. 

I had 2 other roommates.  Hobs and I got there first and grabbed the 2 best bed rooms leaving the small one for Freddy.  The room was soooo damn pink ya broke into a sweat Just looking at it. Took about 4/5 coats of paint to cover

MU82

• All American
« Reply #498 on: October 15, 2019, 10:41:44 PM »
This is great! You ain’t kidding!  That place was the Hilton of roach motels!  Used to take a can of spray like a flame thrower into the John. It sure made for quick deucers and showers..yikes!  Needed group therapy after that stay. 

I had 2 other roommates.  Hobs and I got there first and grabbed the 2 best bed rooms leaving the small one for Freddy.  The room was soooo damn pink ya broke into a sweat Just looking at it. Took about 4/5 coats of paint to cover

On our last night there, one of my roommates puked into the living room windowsill, and we just left it. I was sure Anzivino would use it as an excuse to not return our security deposit, but we did get it back.

I miss the Midget Tap. Recently came across photos with Frank Herald. What a nice gentleman.

Frank was the best. We called him "The Senator" (though I have absolutely no idea why). Whenever we'd go there, he'd always buy us a round -- bought a lot of goodwill by giving a few knuckleheads a 7-ounce Schlitz (regular price: 35 cents). His wife Fern was a sweetheart, too.

I actually golfed quite a bit with him, his son Kelly and longtime Midget bartender Mike Duggan. Frank was a damn good golfer -- 160 yards right down the middle, 140-yard 3-wood, pitch or chip it onto the green, make a putt for par or 2-putt for bogey. Like clockwork.

I was on Kelly's softball team the summer between my junior and senior years, when I stayed in town to work and make up a class I had dropped.

One of the funniest regular occurrences: Ma Kernan always taking a cab the 2 1/2 blocks from Midget to Harp. I mean, she was about 1,000 years old, so I guess she needed to take a cab, but it still always cracked us up.

My friends and I shed a tear the day we heard that Frank had died, and another the day we heard that the Midget had burned down.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #499 on: October 16, 2019, 08:36:01 AM »
I haven't heard of this happening recently, so yeah, the neighborhood has gotten better.    What is your reasoning to say it has gotten worse? 

When parents are reduced to complaining about the "sketchy people" at the 16th street bus stop, you know that it is safer than in our day.

As far as defining the neighborhood, the LIMO map is a good guide:

https://www.marquette.edu/campus-safety/documents/limo-boundaries.pdf

By neighborhood, I was referring to the outer rings.  Campus proper, I believe got safer due to the ability of PS being armed and the focus on the blue light shuttles.  The areas surrounding campus, mainly southwest-24/25th Michigan, to west/northwest, 24th wells, kilbourn, state etc. east to 10th kilbourn and state and out.

feedback