[Today at 06:18:19 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by MuMark
[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2011-12 NFC North Division  (Read 68267 times)

GGGG

• All American
2011-12 NFC North Division
« on: August 05, 2011, 08:59:44 PM »
OK, so it starts with the Bears having to cancel "family night" at the last minute because the Soldier Field turf was so bad...in July...after all the rain Chicago has gotten...with the last event played on the turf about two weeks ago.

What a great organization...

JWags85

• All American
Re: 2011-12 NFC North Division
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 09:14:56 PM »
OK, so it starts with the Bears having to cancel "family night" at the last minute because the Soldier Field turf was so bad...in July...after all the rain Chicago has gotten...with the last event played on the turf about two weeks ago.

What a great organization...

In the Bears defense, the Chicago Parks Department maintains the turf at Soldier Field, not the Bears.  The Bears organization has no jurisdiction there.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 10:07:49 PM »
The Bears should accept some of the blame, but 95% of the blame goes to the park district. Bears don't own or run Soldier Field, strictly tenants. Mayor and the park district taking ton of heat as they should. U2 was a month ago, Man U was 2 weeks ago. Total joke.

JimmyB!

• Walk-On
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 10:51:04 PM »
Not another NFC north thread... pretty soon we'll all have to see that guy yelling "SKOLL VIKINGS" in random intervals. Can't we just make a Pack/Bear/Lion thread and discuss the relevant teams?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 06:14:11 AM »
Detroit's prize rookie had surgery on his foot and will miss most of training camp.    The Lion's season depends on keeping Stafford.   Of course, the North could be the toughest division in football so it will be well nigh impossible for them to break through. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 02:32:49 PM »
The Bears should accept some of the blame, but 95% of the blame goes to the park district. Bears don't own or run Soldier Field, strictly tenants. Mayor and the park district taking ton of heat as they should. U2 was a month ago, Man U was 2 weeks ago. Total joke.

Yeah, I agree.  However, the Bears keep coming out against the most obvious solution - the installation of fieldturf.  (Mostly because they would likely have to pay for it.) 

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 09:15:52 AM »
Two high schools within 10 miles of my house have Fieldturf fields.  I can't see how the cost could be an issue for an NFL team.  Being Chicago, I'm sure someone with the Bears "knows a guy" who could get them a great deal. 

There must be a different reason that the Park District doesn't want to take out the mine field of turf clumps.  No idea what it could be.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 06:26:26 PM »

Yeah, I agree.  However, the Bears keep coming out against the most obvious solution - the installation of fieldturf.  (Mostly because they would likely have to pay for it.) 
My thought on why the Bears keep shying away from field turf - they want to keep the game slow at home.  Lets face it, the Bears offense isn't the prettiest thing (never has been) - if their field sucks, and is always in terrible shape, that favors the defense, aka the Bears style of play... keep the game slow, improves their home field advantage.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 06:45:05 PM »
My thought on why the Bears keep shying away from field turf - they want to keep the game slow at home.  Lets face it, the Bears offense isn't the prettiest thing (never has been) - if their field sucks, and is always in terrible shape, that favors the defense, aka the Bears style of play... keep the game slow, improves their home field advantage.

I get what you are saying, but in all honesty, the Cover 2 defense was really honed when Dungy was D coordinator for MN and Lovie himself used it in STL. Dungy also did well with it in IND.

So, I'm not sure that the slow play favors their defense, or even their update Martz style offense.

Actually, I'm really at a loss on why they don't do it. Is the groundskeeper union insanely influential in Chicago or something?

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 07:06:56 PM »
I get what you are saying, but in all honesty, the Cover 2 defense was really honed when Dungy was D coordinator for MN and Lovie himself used it in STL. Dungy also did well with it in IND.

So, I'm not sure that the slow play favors their defense, or even their update Martz style offense.

Actually, I'm really at a loss on why they don't do it. Is the groundskeeper union insanely influential in Chicago or something?

Too many skeletons to dig up at Soldier Field if they replace the turf...

warrior_rugby15

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2011, 08:32:18 PM »
If they would install Grassy Turf, the Chicago Parks District might lose some union jobs... Back then that wouldn't happen, but the ways things are going now with Rahm wanting to cut down on the unions, it's a possibility.

I don't understand why the CPD does what they do with Lambeau Field and use Growing Lights. It's used a lot in Europe and the UK (where the sun don't shine much). Lambeau is always in better shape than Soldier Field's in November and December.

http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-1/Lambeau-Experimenting-With-Growing-Lights/50c593c2-baff-4d7a-bcbe-58c752ddb3d1

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 02:21:49 AM »

I get what you mean when you break it down through styles of offense and defense, but what I am saying is most teams have better offenses then the Bears (when you look at just pure talent) - especially in the WR category (and no, a washed up Roy Williams doesn't help), slow the field down, makes top WR lose some of their worth
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2011, 08:35:48 AM »
I get what you mean when you break it down through styles of offense and defense, but what I am saying is most teams have better offenses then the Bears (when you look at just pure talent) - especially in the WR category (and no, a washed up Roy Williams doesn't help), slow the field down, makes top WR lose some of their worth

On the other side of things, Fieldturf would make Urlacher, Briggs, Peppers and Hester that much quicker. Those are 4 of the Bears' 5 most important and most impactful players (Cutler being the fifth).

There's clearly something going on behind the scenes as to why the Bears and the city don't want to install turf. Perhaps it makes too much sense and that's confusing to both sides.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2011, 10:29:31 AM »

Fair enough. The bears will never be confused for the greatest show on turf.

Still doesn't seem to make much sense to me, however. I like natural grass as much as the next guy, but if they are going to use Soldier field for multiple events per year (football, HS football, concerts, soccer, etc.) they should just put in field turf and be done with it. Far more durable and versatile.

High schools are putting it in instead of building multiple fields for soccer, football, la crosse, track, etc. You can play far more games per year on field turf without worrying about damage or safety conditions.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2011, 10:40:11 AM »
I heard George McCaskey on the radio this AM say that grass is still safer than turf, and they want to have a nice grass field.  Can't blame them for that, but a crappy grass field is worse than a nice fieldturf field.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2011, 11:10:18 AM »
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2011/08/detroit_lions_rookie_running_b.html

Because, no matter who is in charge, the Lions will always be the Lions.........
That makes 2 of their top 3 draft picks out.     Countdown until someone bumps into Stafford and he injures his shoulder......commencing......now.....
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2011, 11:49:44 AM »
Fair enough. The bears will never be confused for the greatest show on turf.

Still doesn't seem to make much sense to me, however. I like natural grass as much as the next guy, but if they are going to use Soldier field for multiple events per year (football, HS football, concerts, soccer, etc.) they should just put in field turf and be done with it. Far more durable and versatile.

High schools are putting it in instead of building multiple fields for soccer, football, la crosse, track, etc. You can play far more games per year on field turf without worrying about damage or safety conditions.

I think it ends up coming down to $$ as it always is when the McCaskeys are concerned.  And since they Bears don't own Soldier Field, it makes less financial sense for them to pay for something they don't even own.

Its like paying for a boob job for a girl you are only casually dating.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2011, 12:37:04 PM »
If they would install Grassy Turf, the Chicago Parks District might lose some union jobs... Back then that wouldn't happen, but the ways things are going now with Rahm wanting to cut down on the unions, it's a possibility.

I don't understand why the CPD does what they do with Lambeau Field and use Growing Lights. It's used a lot in Europe and the UK (where the sun don't shine much). Lambeau is always in better shape than Soldier Field's in November and December.

http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-1/Lambeau-Experimenting-With-Growing-Lights/50c593c2-baff-4d7a-bcbe-58c752ddb3d1

Growing lights, eh?  I know a few people in madtown that are interested...

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2011, 02:31:15 PM »
I think it ends up coming down to $$ as it always is when the McCaskeys are concerned.  And since they Bears don't own Soldier Field, it makes less financial sense for them to pay for something they don't even own.

Its like paying for a boob job for a girl you are only casually dating.

Well, I would think that paying to lay the turf and never worrying about field condition again would be worth it.

I don't know what the stuff costs though... but I can't imagine it's so much that it's not worth it. I mean, pro teams should never really skimp on this kind of stuff. They have too much $$ invested in their product to have stupid issues with something like turf.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2011, 04:30:02 PM »
Well, according to WSCR this afternoon, the Park District will install whatever the Bears want, and would likely pay for it.  And that has been the case for awhile.  But it is the Bears that insist on the natural grass.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2011, 08:33:15 PM »
On the other side of things, Fieldturf would make Urlacher, Briggs, Peppers and Hester that much quicker. Those are 4 of the Bears' 5 most important and most impactful players (Cutler being the fifth).

There's clearly something going on behind the scenes as to why the Bears and the city don't want to install turf. Perhaps it makes too much sense and that's confusing to both sides.

Except this isn't 2009.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2011, 04:06:10 PM »
Figured with the season upon us, I'd get this thread back going.

Predictions for the North:

1. Pack     Head and shoulders better than anyone in the division, top team in the NFL in my opinion. All the Philly talk is overblown, there's no better team in the NFC than Green Bay. Scary that they will (or rather are starting off) with a healthy/better roster than last season. No reason they shouldn't cruise to a North title.

2. Bears     I think the Bears will be better than people think, which might sound odd since they hosted an NFC title game a season ago. I think they just miss the playoffs, but have a lot of 3 or 4 point losses. Tougher schedule this season, tougher than even the Pack (because they won the North last year).

3. Lions      If the Lions were a stock, I'd be selling them right now. Will they be better? They should be. Playoffs? Not this year. I actually thought the LeShoure injury really hurt them. I think Best is a bust, as good as the rest of the offense can be. That secondary will be their downfall (even as good as Suh is).

4. Vikes    I just don't see them doing much of anything. A very "meh" kinda team (outside of AP). They're not bad enough to be horrible, but not good enough to come close to making the playoffs. The 3 teams in front of them in the division are all better.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2011, 04:42:09 PM »
I don't know what to think about Green Bay.  On the one hand, they went 10-6 and had to win their last two even to get into the playoffs.  On the other, they were the first team since the AFL/NFL merger to never be down more than seven points in a game, and when they got their act together, strung along six victories in a row.

So it wouldn't surprise me to see them go 14-2 and repeat....and it wouldn't surprise me that they look at times like they did last year, and finish 10-6....I just don't know what to expect.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2011, 05:08:24 PM »
Detroit will be better, but will that be enough?   Tough, tough division.   If Stafford starts 16 games, they have a realistic chance to make the playoffs.   If he goes down again, all bets are off.      The secondary will be good enough.    They will rarely have to cover more than 3 seconds anyway.   3 biggest concerns for Detroit:    Running game, Stafford staying healthy, team depth.   

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2011, 06:21:03 PM »
Kyle Rudolph offensive rookie of the year. 

Vikings make the playoffs and do damage.  SKOL VIKINGS!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.