[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Deep NCAA runs earn a school enormous value-- in publicity  (Read 7778 times)

HouWarrior

• All American
Deep NCAA runs earn a school enormous value-- in publicity
« on: July 26, 2011, 05:15:32 PM »
Butler estimates its two Final Four runs garnered a staggering $500 million in publicity for the school--wow!

http://college-basketball-blog.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/26283066/30879290

Its interesting...in comparison to BB budgets...a very successful MU BB run deep into the tourney reaps a reward not often considered..huge $$ value returned to us in free publicity.

I guess its no real surprise...if it werent for MU BB, few in my town wouldve even heard of MU...many think my school must be pretty good...solely because we are regularly are in the national press over our BB program.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Re: Deep NCAA runs earn a school enormous value-- in publicity
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 05:27:21 PM »
It matters that it was Butler and not Texas, since they spend considerably less on PR than Texas does.
SS Marquette

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 05:39:41 PM »
It matters that it was Butler and not Texas, since they spend considerably less on PR than Texas does.
Sure.
 But outside of its free sports publicity, UT's  next biggest free publicity was Charles Whitman sniping 13 kills, 31 wounded...

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,842584,00.html

UT's free publicity fame for that extended to the movies, too...

HARTMAN: Do any of you people know who Charles Whitman was? None of you dumbasses knows? Private Cowboy?

COWBOY: Sir, he was that guy who shot all those people from that tower in Austin, Texas, sir!

HARTMAN: That's affirmative. Charles Whitman killed twelve people from a twenty-eight-storey observation tower at the University of Texas from distances up to four hundred yards.

... Do any of you people know where these individuals learned to shoot? Private Joker?

JOKER: Sir, in the Marines, sir!

HARTMAN: In the Marines! Outstanding! Those individuals showed what one motivated marine and his rifle can do! And before you ladies leave my island, you will be able to do the same thing!

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 08:27:54 PM »
I seem to remember reading about Marquette's prospective student applications doubling after the final four run.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 09:18:55 PM »
MU got a publicity and monetary bump from their S16 run this year.   

Shortly thereafter, the MU brand was tarnished by the alleged assault cases and legal issues.

Question: Net, net, has the Marquette "brand" gained or lost in 2011?

mviale

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 09:22:47 PM »
newsflash - no one knows about the bad publicity outside of Wisconsin.  However, everyone knows about dwade, marquette makes the ncaas every year, and furnished capable NBA players. 
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 09:26:45 PM »
I didn't realize both Boston and Chicago were located in Wisconsin...

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 09:29:20 PM »
MU got a publicity and monetary bump from their S16 run this year.   

Shortly thereafter, the MU brand was tarnished by the alleged assault cases and legal issues.

Question: Net, net, has the Marquette "brand" gained or lost in 2011?

Good question. For now, I'd say the brand has gained. If, as some have suggested, there's another shoe that will drop, that could change.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 10:03:22 PM »
newsflash - no one knows cares about the bad publicity outside of Wisconsin.  However, everyone knows about dwade, marquette makes the ncaas every year, and furnished capable NBA players. 

Fixed.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 11:08:17 PM »
I didn't realize both Boston and Chicago were located in Wisconsin...
Forgive me if I'm not convinced a muddled few sentences on Charlie Pierce's largely unreadable blog (I know, I tried it) has done significant harm to the Marquette in the Greater Boston area.

wyzgy

• Team Captain
  • he who laughs last, laughs...last
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 05:50:12 AM »
newsflash - no one knows about the bad publicity outside of Wisconsin.  However, everyone knows about dwade, marquette makes the ncaas every year, and furnished capable NBA players. 

ok ok chicago and boston metro areas have also read about our alleged malfeasances and probabilities that mu has misinterpreted the chain of legalese to follow.  that being said, how many people based their decisions on attending the school from that?? there are raging hormones going on in every corner. just leave the elvira costumes in the closet  the name change disappointed many and continues to do so.  these are  "childs-play" compared to sniper shootings and students getting assaulted and robbed on campus or in it's near vicinities.  any bad pub is not good and the longer it stays in print or on tv, definitely hurts.  get the pr machine cranked up and do a story on mu dentals satellite clinics and their outreach programs and get that warm and fuzzy going again ;D  bottom line, we are a great school with pretty good intentions.  remember, humans are running it-shmit happens    

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 06:37:49 AM »
Marquette survived Dahmer, as well as murders in the 80's.  The house I lived in my senior year at 22nd and Michigan had a sexual assault in it the summer I moved in when someone broke in through a downstairs window.   Big picture,  this alleged assaults imbroglio is mouse nuts.    The sweet 16 run generated more interest nationwide than the alleged assaults can destroy.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 07:14:29 AM »
Marquette survived Dahmer, as well as murders in the 80's.  The house I lived in my senior year at 22nd and Michigan had a sexual assault in it the summer I moved in when someone broke in through a downstairs window.   Big picture,  this alleged assaults imbroglio is mouse nuts.    The sweet 16 run generated more interest nationwide than the alleged assaults can destroy.

+Sweet 16

The sexual assault allegations and subsequent fallout at MU were a blip on a blip on the radar screens of higher education and college athletics.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2011, 08:08:00 AM »

This is exactly right.  The best way to judge if the nation knows about it is if it makes any news on espn.

It didn't, so it isn't.

Just a few guys in a few markets trying to make the story big so they could say they were the first ones on top of it.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2011, 09:06:47 AM »
Well, true, the Marquette "brand" is percieved by many different groups.  In-state, out of state, alumni, fans, haters, media, academics, recruits, etc.

I agree that for most of those groups, few even know about these issues.

I was thinking more along the lines of athletics and recruits. 

6 months ago, Buzz could walk into a house and convince Mom that sending her pride and joy to Marquette would build character.  He'd give her son a great foundation for the rest of his life, tip his bottle over, do Sunday night "life lessons" and turn her son into a good man.

Buzz can still do that.  But the next college coach who walks into that living room will say "Oh, you're thinking about Marquette?  Great school, great school..." as he leaves a copy of the Chicago Tribune on her coffee table.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2011, 09:16:57 AM »
Well, true, the Marquette "brand" is percieved by many different groups.  In-state, out of state, alumni, fans, haters, media, academics, recruits, etc.

I agree that for most of those groups, few even know about these issues.

I was thinking more along the lines of athletics and recruits. 

6 months ago, Buzz could walk into a house and convince Mom that sending her pride and joy to Marquette would build character.  He'd give her son a great foundation for the rest of his life, tip his bottle over, do Sunday night "life lessons" and turn her son into a good man.

Buzz can still do that.  But the next college coach who walks into that living room will say "Oh, you're thinking about Marquette?  Great school, great school..." as he leaves a copy of the Chicago Tribune on her coffee table.

Fairly or unfairly, that still happens.  It happenned in the case of Montreal Clark.  We lost a recruit because of that issue.  Other recruits and parents, that di not have the same effect. 

If Buzz knows it's out there, he can address it.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2011, 09:21:32 AM »

And they'll read the article and then talk to Buzz about how he's sent 3 players to the NBA in the past 3 season, including 2 first round picks.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2011, 09:23:00 AM »
I think that is a really stupid article. The title itself that Butler reaps $500 million is ridiculous. It would have cost Butler $500 million to buy all the equivalent press. What do you think Butler actually got out of the $500 million value of press? I suspect their donations increased some and maybe even their enrollment. They probably at best benefited a few million actual dollars from the publicity. Then the article goes on to say the players should be paid, if Butler is reaping $500 million. I have no doubt that a good sports team adds value to the university. I also think players are already paid. They get tuition, room and board, training facilities, tutors, coaching, etc. Also, do not forget all the free publicity they get for being on a sports team and I am sure using this writer's logic that that is worth millions of dollars for some players.

Warrior3211

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2011, 09:30:29 AM »
newsflash - no one knows cares about the bad publicity outside of Wisconsin.  However, everyone knows about dwade, marquette makes the ncaas every year, and furnished capable NBA players.  

Fixed.

That's very true. As much as it hurts to say, nobody does care about the scandals that go on in Milwaukee sports in general. Which is probably a good thing for Marquette.  It's just like last year when Brewers pitcher Yovani Gallardo was robbed at gunpoint in a questionable neighborhood.  If that had been in a big market it would have blown up and reporters would dig into why Gallardo was in that neighborhood in the middle of the night, which is the same for this situation. Big time media not caring is helping Marquette..
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 09:39:17 AM by Warrior1214 »

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2011, 09:35:29 AM »
+Sweet 16

The sexual assault allegations and subsequent fallout at MU were a blip on a blip on the radar screens of higher education and college athletics.

+1

The only place I heard about the allegations was from this forum.  I never even saw anything about it during normal consumption of local and national media sources. 

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2011, 09:38:35 AM »
newsflash - no one knows cares about the bad publicity outside of Wisconsin.  However, everyone knows about dwade, marquette makes the ncaas every year, and furnished capable NBA players. 

That's very true. As much as it hurts to say, nobody does care about the scandals that go on in Milwaukee sports in general. Which is probably a good thing for Marquette.  It's just like last year when Brewers pitcher Yovani Gallardo was robbed at gunpoint in a questionable neighborhood.  If that had been in a big market it would have blown up and reporters would dig into why Gallardo was in that neighborhood in the middle of the night, which is the same for this situation. Big time media not caring is helping Marquette.
My biggest worry about the bad press is the Chicago area. That is where a significant amount of the press was and that is where there is a significant amount of basketball talent. I see it hurting our recruiting in Illinois. Although our current team does not have any Illinois players on it, we do not want to be disadvantaged in any recruiting area that is as valuable as Chicago.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2011, 10:12:32 AM »
My biggest worry about the bad press is the Chicago area. That is where a significant amount of the press was and that is where there is a significant amount of basketball talent. I see it hurting our recruiting in Illinois. Although our current team does not have any Illinois players on it, we do not want to be disadvantaged in any recruiting area that is as valuable as Chicago.

If I had to guess, I would estimate that a sizable number of Top 100 recruits are coming from backgrounds and/or neighborhoods where people don't necessarily look up to people who strictly adhere to the law, morals, ethics, standards, etc.  Frankly, most of these kids are going to be coming from families that - voluntarily or not - tolerate a lot of questionable activity and behavior in their community.  Some perhaps from families that know firsthand what it means to be accused  - wrongfully or not - or backed into a corner and will nevertheless empathize with others who have shared that experience.

The only thing the kids & their handlers care about is money.  A small fraction of parents care about education.  When's the last time you heard someone say "my five-star kid isn't going to __________ because that place is filled with shady folks."   If they did, places like Ohio State, USC, Oklahoma State, just about every SEC school, etc. would be competing in Division II.

Bottom line is this... a blip on a blip is an understatement.  This is a non-story that has been on life support since 48 hours after it broke.  There might be a sign of hope (for the journalists, any way) when the lawsuit is filed, but the story is as good as a vegetable... the only reason - incidentally - it won't die is because of Marquette's strict adherence to its own principles.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2011, 10:32:37 AM »
I agree it is a blip and two years from now it will not matter. However, if it hurts recruiting for even one year it can have a longer effect on Buzz's success. That is hard to equate, because a poor recruiting year can lead to a great recruiitng year, if recruits see a greater opportunity play. Besides that does it effect Buzz's recruitng in another way. It could cause Buzz to be more restrictive in who he recruits and thus resulting in a smaller recruiting pool to get players from. The top 100 recruits coming from questionable back grounds my not rule out MU, but Buzz may be forced to rule them out. There is no way this publicity is a positive, but we will never really know how much it hurt our program.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2011, 10:34:48 AM »
I think Brand Jordan and Dwyane Wade have brought more attention to Marquette than a Sweet 16 run.
SS Marquette

wyzgy

• Team Captain
  • he who laughs last, laughs...last
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2011, 11:08:46 AM »
Fairly or unfairly, that still happens.  It happenned in the case of Montreal Clark.  We lost a recruit because of that issue.  Other recruits and parents, that di not have the same effect. 

If Buzz knows it's out there, he can address it.
and montreal told you that he was not coming to marquette because ...

feedback