Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Deep NCAA runs earn a school enormous value-- in publicity  (Read 7780 times)

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Re: Deep NCAA runs earn a school enormous value-- in publicity
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2011, 11:24:49 AM »
and montreal told you that he was not coming to marquette because ...

I think he meant that Clark's issues were brought up by a competing coach and a recruit decided against MU because of it.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2011, 11:56:59 AM »
So, are you actually claiming that MU lost a recruit because a different recruit, who never played, hell, was never even ENROLLED, may have committed a crime 1000 miles away from Marquette?!?   Shenanigans.    And if true, then the world is an odd place.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2011, 01:14:37 PM »
So, are you actually claiming that MU lost a recruit because a different recruit, who never played, hell, was never even ENROLLED, may have committed a crime 1000 miles away from Marquette?!?   Shenanigans.    And if true, then the world is an odd place.   

I'm not saying that but I believe that is what MUMac was saying. I also could have completely misinterpreted what he was saying.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2011, 01:17:57 PM »
Sorry.   I wasn't specific about whom I was referring to.   No offense to you intended.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2011, 01:19:30 PM »
Recruiting is a cut throat business and recruiters have to use negative tactics. Nice guys will finish last.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2011, 02:03:17 PM »
and montreal told you that he was not coming to marquette because ...

Monterale was the reason, not the recruit who bypassed MU.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2011, 02:07:09 PM »
I think he meant that Clark's issues were brought up by a competing coach and a recruit decided against MU because of it.

It was not the coach that was upset, but the parent. 

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2011, 02:09:39 PM »
So, are you actually claiming that MU lost a recruit because a different recruit, who never played, hell, was never even ENROLLED, may have committed a crime 1000 miles away from Marquette?!?   Shenanigans.    And if true, then the world is an odd place.    

Yes.  One of the parents was very upset about the involvement of an MU recruit.  Timing of the arrest could not have been worse either, in this situation.  

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2011, 02:42:51 PM »
Ok, let's deal with both issues raised in these postings.

First, if it were not for basketball and the reputation our Warriors have developed in the past 45 years or so, our university would barely be known out of West Town, much less have the national reputation that we've developed. Our campus, the upgrades and new buildings, Campus Circle etc., all are at least in part a function of basketball. Many of our buildings were built with "Al Money" and the pride and attitude of our university is in part "Al" related.

When I was at MU, the student body was very geographically diverse. While we had our share of cheeseheads, we also had significant concerntrations of students from Pennsylavania, Massachusetts, New York, the Washington DC area and were beginning to make stronger in-roads in the South and West. Without basketball, which didn't I hope become the deciding factor, there is little doubt we would have the visibility to attract a geographically diverse student body.

I also suspect that our university is better for the basketball team. When Marquette put the five best players they could find on the floor -- many of whom were African American -- it signalled a willingness of the university to put our beliefs in action. I suspect some of the diversity and commitment to a broader, more reflective student body is the result of what our basketball program led in the 1960s and 1970s.

Second, the problems associated with certain young men who evidently took advantage of a relationship one or more of them had with a young lady are not to be scoffed at. But the fact is that we are insiders and watch this more closely than the market at large. Sure, if I'm from South Wayne, WI and the big city is Monroe, I'm probably frightened. But if I'm from a large city, I'm probably smart enough to take adequate precautions. Admittedly, Marquette made mistakes. But whether I'm idealistic or naive, I believe that Beliefs in Action means something and there was no deliberate attempt to avoid protecting women on campus. I suspect some things will change over time because of this and Marquette will be better for it, but we don't have something on the scale of the pedophilia crisis that affected the Church and those that equate the two are just unfair.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2011, 03:09:20 PM »
Yes.  One of the parents was very upset about the involvement of an MU recruit.  Timing of the arrest could not have been worse either, in this situation.   

Really?  Despite the fact that his scholie offer was pulled immediately after his arrest???  That is very odd.

Did this recruit pan out where he eventually went?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2011, 03:27:02 PM »
Yes.  One of the parents was very upset about the involvement of an MU recruit.  Timing of the arrest could not have been worse either, in this situation.  

For the life of me, I do not get this.   How do the actions of a recruit who never enrolled, had his offer rescinded, never played a second, and did his stupid stuff 1000 miles away have an impact?    Sounds like a convenient excuse for a parent who wanted their son to go elsewhere.   

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2011, 03:36:18 PM »

A parent who would hold MU responsible for what a possible future player did 1000 miles from Milwaukee is a parent Marquette doesn't need to be involved with - I'd say we got lucky no matter how good the player was.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2011, 03:45:04 PM »
For the life of me, I do not get this.   How do the actions of a recruit who never enrolled, had his offer rescinded, never played a second, and did his stupid stuff 1000 miles away have an impact?    Sounds like a convenient excuse for a parent who wanted their son to go elsewhere.   
I stated before that the recent events do not mean much to potential recruits. However, it can and does matter to parents (mostly mothers). You have to remember what Buzz's mantra is. He basically preaches about God and some recruits' parents really like that. It certainly has stated that Taylor's mother wanted him to play for Buzz. However, he originally went to Oklahoma and now is transferring to MU. When this stuff happens within the basketball program, whether it is Buzz's fault or not, it makes him look like a hypocrite. It would not surprise me at all to see Taylor change his mind if this becomes a big deal to his mother.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2011, 05:24:17 PM »

Father and son wanted MU.  Mother put the kibosh on it after this happenned.  It really bothered her.  Buzz did was not aware of the pull the mother had.  Focused on the son and father as the father was the lead in the recruitment.  Mother had more of the decision making than Buzz believed.

For Sultan, the kid started 2/3 of the games this year.  Would have helped MU.  He was a top 100 (in most top 75) ranked prospect.  Also, I mentioned the timing of it all being poor for MU.  MU had less than 1 week before it all blew up.  As I mentioned, Buzz focused on the father - the mother was the key.  She was silent in the background - but obviously had the ability to pull the "kill switch".

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2011, 10:05:15 PM »
Father and son wanted MU.  Mother put the kibosh on it after this happenned.  It really bothered her.  Buzz did was not aware of the pull the mother had.  Focused on the son and father as the father was the lead in the recruitment.  Mother had more of the decision making than Buzz believed.

For Sultan, the kid started 2/3 of the games this year.  Would have helped MU.  He was a top 100 (in most top 75) ranked prospect.  Also, I mentioned the timing of it all being poor for MU.  MU had less than 1 week before it all blew up.  As I mentioned, Buzz focused on the father - the mother was the key.  She was silent in the background - but obviously had the ability to pull the "kill switch".

What exactly was the specific problem that the mother had with the situation? Just the fact that a Marquette recruit was arrested, despite the fact that he never even enrolled in MU and had his scholarship rescinded? That doesn't really make any sense.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2011, 05:28:27 AM »
What exactly was the specific problem that the mother had with the situation? Just the fact that a Marquette recruit was arrested, despite the fact that he never even enrolled in MU and had his scholarship rescinded? That doesn't really make any sense.

It does not need to make sense to you.  Only to the mother, father and son.  To them, it made sense.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2011, 07:06:01 AM »
It does not need to make sense to you.  Only to the mother, father and son.  To them, it made sense.

I honestly don't see how it makes sense to anyone.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2011, 07:13:03 AM »
I honestly don't see how it makes sense to anyone.

You're just packaging the facts.  You're not thinking about how an enemy recruiter could package the situation.  Emotional arguments are stronger than logical ones with some people in certain situations.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2011, 08:27:05 AM »
When this stuff happens within the basketball program, whether it is Buzz's fault or not, it makes him look like a hypocrite. It would not surprise me at all to see Taylor change his mind if this becomes a big deal to his mother.

If Buzz continues to recruit Monterale Clark after his arrest or if he engages in a cover up of the October or February incidents he IS a hypocrite. He didn't. I'll repeat, if a parent blames a coach for what a potential future player does 1000 miles from Milwaukee, MU dodged a bullet. That parent is bound to be a problem down the line.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2011, 09:30:22 AM »
You're just packaging the facts.  You're not thinking about how an enemy recruiter could package the situation.  Emotional arguments are stronger than logical ones with some people in certain situations.

Well put. I didn't really think of it that way (obviously). It would be very easy for a recruiter to say, "That's the type of player that Buzz/MU recruits."

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2011, 09:51:04 AM »
You also have to try to look at it from a woman's view point. There are a lot of women out there that believe they have been used by men. The result is they have trouble trusting men and they want their son to be coached by someone they feel they can trust. Anything that shakes that trust, whether real or not, is a problem. I do not blame Buzz for Clark, but I can see how that could have been an issue. Women see things differently then men. When I am the first one to work, I unlock both doors. Some of the women when they get here first will not unlock the doors, if they are by themselves. I feel totally safe, while they seem to live their life in fear. Do not expect women to think about the recent events the same as we do.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 10:02:10 AM by bilsu »

BubbaWilliams

• Team Captain
  • "He's a great player, but an even better person."
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2011, 10:31:19 AM »
Im glad we didn't get Monterale Clark. He was, in fact, a better basketball player than he was a person. There is no room for that on Buzz's squad.
"Say hello to your mom for me." - Biff Tannen

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2011, 10:57:46 AM »
Im glad we didn't get Monterale Clark. He was, in fact, a better basketball player than he was a person. There is no room for that on Buzz's squad.

Right... which is something we all agree upon.   The problem is that Buzz got associated with what Clark did so we ended up losing out on another top-100 recruit because of Clark's actions.

BubbaWilliams

• Team Captain
  • "He's a great player, but an even better person."
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2011, 01:02:44 PM »
Right... which is something we all agree upon.   The problem is that Buzz got associated with what Clark did so we ended up losing out on another top-100 recruit because of Clark's actions.
While that does suck, I think the people on this website are going to be the only ones who remember this incident in a few years... At least I hope so
"Say hello to your mom for me." - Biff Tannen

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2011, 01:35:45 PM »
I think that is a really stupid article. The title itself that Butler reaps $500 million is ridiculous. It would have cost Butler $500 million to buy all the equivalent press. What do you think Butler actually got out of the $500 million value of press? I suspect their donations increased some and maybe even their enrollment. They probably at best benefited a few million actual dollars from the publicity. Then the article goes on to say the players should be paid, if Butler is reaping $500 million. I have no doubt that a good sports team adds value to the university. I also think players are already paid. They get tuition, room and board, training facilities, tutors, coaching, etc. Also, do not forget all the free publicity they get for being on a sports team and I am sure using this writer's logic that that is worth millions of dollars for some players.

You failed to mention the lasting impact it will have for the next 10 years.

500 millions dollars worth of advertising for Butler has an immeasurable impact on the school.

If you have any doubts, watch the ESPN 30 for 30 about "The U". Athletics can put a school on the map (for better or for worse).
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 01:39:43 PM by 2002MUalum »

feedback