[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 803024 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #1050 on: June 27, 2014, 03:39:31 PM »
No one is arguing that Bradley has been poorer than expected. No one is arguing that we need him to play better.

I think the difference is that some of us want to try to understand the full situation and reasons.

Disagree on point one.

Agree on point two.  It's complex, always is.  For the record, I'm not putting it all on him or in a vacuum either.  Our defense was suspect coming into the WC, not sure it still isn't suspect.  All kinds of other stuff going on as expected in a fluid, 90 minute affair.  I'm a big Bradley fan, that's why this has been a disappointment. I played midfield most of my life, nearly walked on at MU, had the opportunity to play D3 here locally.  I want him to do well, as we all do.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #1051 on: June 27, 2014, 03:42:12 PM »
Well, when I read he is out of position, he is having to run a lot, the heat, etc.  That sounds like excuses to me.  My two cents.  Hopefully he comes around Tuesday, we need him too badly.

I've seen people say he is playing out of position.  Haven't seen the heat brought up, maybe I missed this.  Him running a lot I thought came up in context of how involved he has been, not as part of the reason of his poor performance.

Either way, tomato tomato (you really can't make that point out over message boards can you? just sound it out for me please so you get it, haha).  You say excuses, I say reasons for some of his poor play.  As I noted above, even though he isn't completely comfortable in his position/without Jozy, he should still play better.  There is no excuse for most of his miscues on his first touches.

We really do need him to step up Tuesday though.  It will be a tough match.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1052 on: June 27, 2014, 04:09:06 PM »
I've seen people say he is playing out of position.  Haven't seen the heat brought up, maybe I missed this.  Him running a lot I thought came up in context of how involved he has been, not as part of the reason of his poor performance.

Either way, tomato tomato (you really can't make that point out over message boards can you? just sound it out for me please so you get it, haha).  You say excuses, I say reasons for some of his poor play.  As I noted above, even though he isn't completely comfortable in his position/without Jozy, he should still play better.  There is no excuse for most of his miscues on his first touches.

We really do need him to step up Tuesday though.  It will be a tough match.

I would be shocked if we won against Belgium, but you never know. 

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1053 on: June 27, 2014, 04:14:25 PM »
Disagree on point one.

fine, but you're wrong.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #1054 on: June 27, 2014, 04:33:21 PM »

Why shocked?

brandx

« Reply #1055 on: June 27, 2014, 04:37:55 PM »

Hey, Hey!! We agree on something. ;D

I only saw about half of the Germany game, but I don't think we would score against a good team like that if the game lasted a week instead of 90 minutes.

JoeSmith1721

• Starter
« Reply #1056 on: June 27, 2014, 04:49:00 PM »
Belgium has been way too hyped up, they've got a great group of players but they've looking anything but impressive so far, granted they've got 9 points through the group stages. They don't play very well as a team and have little to no experience. Not to mention Mertens thinks he's Messi every time he gets the ball which doesn't bode well for them. It should be a good game and I would not be surprised at all if we win.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1057 on: June 27, 2014, 05:03:38 PM »
538 gives us about a 42% chance of beating Belgium. Sounds right.

brandx

« Reply #1058 on: June 27, 2014, 05:35:02 PM »

Makes me feel better. I trust their analysis far more than my own.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #1059 on: June 28, 2014, 02:17:26 PM »

A swift kick to the Hazard's groin and we'll move up to 51%.
SS Marquette

MUeng

• All American
« Reply #1060 on: June 28, 2014, 02:29:02 PM »
belgium is damn good so 42%, ill take it!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1061 on: June 28, 2014, 02:30:37 PM »
fine, but you're wrong.

I just got done reading an article "don't blame Bradley"...guess I'm not wrong.   ;D

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1062 on: June 28, 2014, 02:34:22 PM »
Why shocked?

Because we aren't in their class.  Maybe shocked is a bit strong, but how about very surprised.  I expect we give them a good go, but ultimately lose 2-1.  When we played against Germany, we chased all day and there was zero doubt in my mind who controlled the game, who had the better play.  Vs Portugal, we were the better team but I'm not sure that's saying much watching Portugal in this tournament.  They were ranked highly, but didn't look that great.  Ghana, honestly felt we were fortunate to get the W...chased a lot that game as well.

Maybe another way to put it, this group was tagged the group of death PRIOR to the tournament.  In watching them play, not sure I would categorize it as the toughest group viewing the actual play.  My two cents.   

I'm boycotting Belgian Waffles over the weekend.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1063 on: June 28, 2014, 11:37:05 PM »
Time to play, guess which premire league team James Rodriguez will play for next season.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1064 on: June 29, 2014, 01:06:07 PM »
Go DUTCH!!

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1065 on: June 29, 2014, 02:31:50 PM »
Glad we beat Panama when we didn't need it to allow El Tri into the WC just so they'd suffer a defeat like that. suck it.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1066 on: June 29, 2014, 04:57:51 PM »
FIFA/refs bailing out Greece. When do the handouts stop??

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1067 on: June 29, 2014, 06:21:45 PM »
FIFA/refs bailing out Greece. When do the handouts stop??

During the penalty kicks.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #1068 on: June 29, 2014, 08:17:46 PM »
Time to play, guess which premire league team James Rodriguez will play for next season.

I will guess no EPL team.  Dude set the record money of transfers out of Portugal when he signed with Monaco last season.  Monaco invested a lot last year.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #1069 on: June 30, 2014, 08:50:18 AM »
Because we aren't in their class.  Maybe shocked is a bit strong, but how about very surprised.  I expect we give them a good go, but ultimately lose 2-1.  When we played against Germany, we chased all day and there was zero doubt in my mind who controlled the game, who had the better play.  Vs Portugal, we were the better team but I'm not sure that's saying much watching Portugal in this tournament.  They were ranked highly, but didn't look that great.  Ghana, honestly felt we were fortunate to get the W...chased a lot that game as well.

Maybe another way to put it, this group was tagged the group of death PRIOR to the tournament.  In watching them play, not sure I would categorize it as the toughest group viewing the actual play.  My two cents.   

I'm boycotting Belgian Waffles over the weekend.

To be frank, this reads more like you're rating Belgium very high because you rate the US very low. May I ask what specifically about Belgium makes them a class ahead of the Estados Unidos?

Regarding our group opponents, it surprises me that Ghana has gotten off without criticism. Talking about a team you think the US was lucky to beat. A team who went toe-to-toe with Germany. But also a team that pulled a complete no-show against a supposedly inferior Portugal squad (who finished higher than Ghana, by the way).

And regarding that inferior Portugal squad, even with injury to the best player in the world this past campaign they were able to gather four points which was enough to qualify for 25% of the teams in the Round of 16. Portuguese were undone by a poor 14 minute stretch that saw them concede twice and have a man sent off against Germany.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1070 on: June 30, 2014, 09:04:58 AM »

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #1071 on: June 30, 2014, 12:30:33 PM »
Jozy has been cleared to play tomorrow.  Not sure how his fitness will be, but he's available.

http://www.espnfc.us/fifa-world-cup/story/1923301/jozy-altidore-hamstring-strain-trains-with-us-team-in-salvador

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1072 on: June 30, 2014, 12:40:15 PM »
Jozy has been cleared to play tomorrow.  Not sure how his fitness will be, but he's available.

http://www.espnfc.us/fifa-world-cup/story/1923301/jozy-altidore-hamstring-strain-trains-with-us-team-in-salvador

Can see him coming on late as a sub.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1073 on: June 30, 2014, 04:58:33 PM »
Can see him coming on late as a sub.

I actually think he starts.....adds a new dimension right away Belgium hasn't seen.  Based on how that goes, if he needs to come off the field we then have all sorts of flexibility as to what the new formation is.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1074 on: June 30, 2014, 08:56:16 PM »
I actually think he starts.....adds a new dimension right away Belgium hasn't seen.  Based on how that goes, if he needs to come off the field we then have all sorts of flexibility as to what the new formation is.

Man, that's a huge gamble. Look at the CL Final with Diego Costa. Can't risk having to use an early sub in a match that could go 120.