[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 802806 times)

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #1025 on: June 27, 2014, 08:37:03 AM »
Agreed. But I think the reason he's "out of sorts" is that he's thinking too much based on playing a different role/position. He works best as a deep lying playmaker who can run at a defense. Not necessarily a creative attacking mid. Yes, there is a difference. I think he's also feeling effects of Jozy being out. I loved the 4-3-2-1 they played against Nigeria that morphed into a 4-1-3-2 on offense because it allowed Bradley plenty of space in the middle of the field with 2 outlets forward, 2 outside, 1 behind. They 4-2-3-1 is more compact in the midfield and the only space he has to move is forward, for the most part. Against Portugal and a lot against Germany, Bradley was coming back near the backline to collect the ball while Jones made off-ball runs and Bradley looked much more comfortable.

I really believe his miss on basics is due to thinking and not just playing naturally. Look at the pass he made to Jones from the deep midfield - beautiful.

Agree with all of this, but particularly the parts highlighted in bold.

No one is arguing that Bradley has been poorer than expected. However, I think it's more due to the system in which he's currently operating (CAM, no Jozy) rather than his own personal failures.

I also think his contributions are getting overlooked by people. Not only has Bradley covered more distance than any other player at the World Cup, but he's completed more passes than any other US player, AND his 83% completion rate is third on the team (Beckerman 89%, Besler 84%).

Of course, not like Il Generale cares what any of us think.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1026 on: June 27, 2014, 08:43:28 AM »
Something that deserves to be its own talking point...

I've heard Klinsmann and the Men in Blazers both comment a few times about America not yet having a culture of accountability. In other words, no one runs into the player at the grocery store and asks them why they missed a shot or didn't complete enough passes.

In many ways, the conversation we are having now about Bradley is a good thing, because it reflects part of that cultural evolution.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1027 on: June 27, 2014, 09:41:24 AM »
Agree with all of this, but particularly the parts highlighted in bold.

No one is arguing that Bradley has been poorer than expected. However, I think it's more due to the system in which he's currently operating (CAM, no Jozy) rather than his own personal failures.

I also think his contributions are getting overlooked by people. Not only has Bradley covered more distance than any other player at the World Cup, but he's completed more passes than any other US player, AND his 83% completion rate is third on the team (Beckerman 89%, Besler 84%).

Of course, not like Il Generale cares what any of us think.

As a center mid, he's supposed to have many completed passes and high completion rate.   That goes with the territory of that position.  It's the obvious failures at controlling the ball, in space, with opportunity that is causing people to be concerned.  I like the guy, he's a really good player, that's why it has been disappointing to see.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1028 on: June 27, 2014, 09:45:31 AM »
You guys do know that Jones has more turnovers and missed passes than Bradley right?  And Chicos, for your writers criticism, check out Shin Guardian.  They are the USMNT experts.

That's fine that Jones has more turnovers, I EXPECT that from Jones.  It's the kind of turnovers, when they happen, etc that are most glaring with MB right now.  MB failing to make the most basic trap around the 18 yard box yesterday in space, vs JJ making a run and turning it over are different things.

I don't expect perfection, just better play.  He's getting criticized for a reason.  Some would argue he is our best all around player coming in, though I wouldn't necessarily agree.  At a minimum, top 3 field player on the US team.  He hasn't put in a top 3 performance.  Your stars have to perform at that level.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1029 on: June 27, 2014, 09:46:51 AM »
Agreed. But I think the reason he's "out of sorts" is that he's thinking too much based on playing a different role/position. He works best as a deep lying playmaker who can run at a defense. Not necessarily a creative attacking mid. Yes, there is a difference. I think he's also feeling effects of Jozy being out. I loved the 4-3-2-1 they played against Nigeria that morphed into a 4-1-3-2 on offense because it allowed Bradley plenty of space in the middle of the field with 2 outlets forward, 2 outside, 1 behind. They 4-2-3-1 is more compact in the midfield and the only space he has to move is forward, for the most part. Against Portugal and a lot against Germany, Bradley was coming back near the backline to collect the ball while Jones made off-ball runs and Bradley looked much more comfortable.

I really believe his miss on basics is due to thinking and not just playing naturally. Look at the pass he made to Jones from the deep midfield - beautiful.

I'm glad you said this, it was where I was going to go with the thinking part.  At times he does look like he's plotting out next steps and not just doing them.  The flow isn't there. 

Buzz needs to unleash him

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1030 on: June 27, 2014, 09:48:34 AM »
I'm glad you said this, it was where I was going to go with the thinking part.  At times he does look like he's plotting out next steps and not just doing them.  The flow isn't there. 

Buzz needs to unleash him

I chuckled at this. well played.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1031 on: June 27, 2014, 09:49:24 AM »
That's fine that Jones has more turnovers, I EXPECT that from Jones.  It's the kind of turnovers, when they happen, etc that are most glaring with MB right now.  MB failing to make the most basic trap around the 18 yard box yesterday in space, vs JJ making a run and turning it over are different things.

I don't expect perfection, just better play.  He's getting criticized for a reason.  Some would argue he is our best all around player coming in, though I wouldn't necessarily agree.  At a minimum, top 3 field player on the US team.  He hasn't put in a top 3 performance.  Your stars have to perform at that level.

oh good lord that moment pissed me off. one touch trap, then shoot. had a great angle, tons of time. couldn't believe he just whiffed on the trap.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1032 on: June 27, 2014, 10:13:20 AM »
The South American bracket is tomorrow. Chile vs. Brazil and Colombia vs. Uruguay. Who ya got? Im fully expecting a Colombia and Brazil matchup. May even be an even split in the crowd for that game.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1033 on: June 27, 2014, 10:14:36 AM »
As a center mid, he's supposed to have many completed passes and high completion rate.   That goes with the territory of that position.  It's the obvious failures at controlling the ball, in space, with opportunity that is causing people to be concerned.  I like the guy, he's a really good player, that's why it has been disappointing to see.

Presenting, "Bradley's contributions are getting overlooked" Evidence #1 to the jury

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #1034 on: June 27, 2014, 10:40:06 AM »
The South American bracket is tomorrow. Chile vs. Brazil and Colombia vs. Uruguay. Who ya got? Im fully expecting a Colombia and Brazil matchup. May even be an even split in the crowd for that game.

Some interesting history between Chile and Brazil in regards to the World Cup....great story.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/06/17/sport/football/brazil-chile-world-cup-scandal/

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1035 on: June 27, 2014, 11:44:43 AM »
Presenting, "Bradley's contributions are getting overlooked" Evidence #1 to the jury

+1
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1036 on: June 27, 2014, 11:51:21 AM »
Are Bradley's stats that much different than 2010 in terms of running, distance covered?

http://goal.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/06/25/how-good-is-michael-bradley-the-stats-say-very-good/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=1

It's what we should expect from him. 

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1037 on: June 27, 2014, 11:57:10 AM »

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1038 on: June 27, 2014, 12:00:53 PM »
Is this b!tch trolling?  ::)
http://www.anncoulter.com/columns/2014-06-25.html

Not to take this down a path....but when is she not  ;D

I always love people who pick on soccer fans saying they are so sensitive....well why do you care, if you aren't sensitive, just move along and pay no attention to a sport I love.

Soccer fans do need to be inclusive though...this whole "you don't understand, get out of my club" mentality has to end if the sport is going to continue to grow.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1039 on: June 27, 2014, 12:05:15 PM »
WhoScored Soccer rating system had Bradley as the worst player on the field, not just USA for the Ghana game

http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/789626/Live

Overall, for the three games, he is ranked 45th of the 75 Group G players.  He is ranked as the overall #1 US player coming into the World Cup by one service, top 3 by two others. 

On his pass completions, in the attacking third of the field, he is at 49.9% success.   Needs to be better.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1040 on: June 27, 2014, 12:24:26 PM »
WhoScored Soccer rating system had Bradley as the worst player on the field, not just USA for the Ghana game

Overall, for the three games, he is ranked 45th of the 75 Group G players.  He is ranked as the overall #1 US player coming into the World Cup by one service, top 3 by two others. 

On his pass completions, in the attacking third of the field, he is at 49.9% success.   Needs to be better.

Is anyone disagreeing that Bradley is not playing badly? At least, as a consensus on this board?

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1041 on: June 27, 2014, 12:29:22 PM »
Needs to be better.

"No sh!t", says EVERYONE

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1042 on: June 27, 2014, 12:40:40 PM »
Is anyone disagreeing that Bradley is not playing badly? At least, as a consensus on this board?

Maybe I'm parsing words....I wouldn't say he is bad, he is just not playing to his potential.  As Henry pointed out, he is not necessarily playing in a comfortable position.  His talent is definitely there I just don't think the pieces are on the field right now to exploit that talent.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #1043 on: June 27, 2014, 12:42:54 PM »

Overall, for the three games, he is ranked 45th of the 75 Group G players.  He is ranked as the overall #1 US player coming into the World Cup by one service, top 3 by two others.  

On his pass completions, in the attacking third of the field, he is at 49.9% success.   Needs to be better.

Johannsson was actually worse at 5.9, but you are right the worst player that started the game against Ghana was Bradley, as rated by WhoScored.   I think we can agree that Ghana's right back (Opare) was the worst player on the field that day.  He was 2 for 11 on crosses.  
My feelings are as follows on Bradley:  
1. He hasn't been as good as he has been in the past.
2. He's playing out of his favored position. (And other players aren't fairing as hot in new positions as well (see Geoff Cameron or DaMarcus Beasley)).
3. The US has really no other option centrally, unfortunately.  Maybe it's because Jozy got hurt, maybe because Donovan was left off the team, maybe because the US has developed no great central attacking midfielders (please let the Zelalem rumors be true).  

If the US loses out in the next round, I don't want to hear a blame Michael Bradley chorus from everyone.  It's a lot of things going on at once and the guy has been better since the Ghana game.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1044 on: June 27, 2014, 01:40:19 PM »

I think some are covering for him, giving excuses.  Yes.

Someone at his level, needs to play better.  Your stars need to shine brightest in the biggest games, when the lights are on.  He needs to get better, I don't know why so many are covering for him, making excuses, trying to compare him to the play of other guys on the team who clearly aren't of his quality.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #1045 on: June 27, 2014, 02:15:41 PM »
Is this b!tch trolling?  ::)
http://www.anncoulter.com/columns/2014-06-25.html

Our generation's greatest performance artist.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #1046 on: June 27, 2014, 02:32:50 PM »

Someone at his level, needs to play better.  Your stars need to shine brightest in the biggest games, when the lights are on.  He needs to get better, I don't know why so many are covering for him, making excuses, trying to compare him to the play of other guys on the team who clearly aren't of his quality.

I think you are blowing this slightly out of proportion.  Noone is disagreeing with you that he is playing poorly and needs to play better.  Everyone sees it.  I do think he isn't playing as bad as many make it out to be. 

You are right though, he is supposed to be one of the top-3 players on this team.  I said coming into the tourney that is our #1 guy, and he is not playing at all close to the level he should be.

I don't think anyone here are making excuses or covering for him, but merely suggesting possible reasons why his play has slipped.  These aren't excuses for his play.  Despite playing a slightly different position than what he is natural too and missing the target forward he is used to having, one of your top-3 players should still overcome that and flourish in these moments instead of making some silly mistakes he is making.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1047 on: June 27, 2014, 02:45:46 PM »
I think you are blowing this slightly out of proportion.  Noone is disagreeing with you that he is playing poorly and needs to play better.  Everyone sees it.  I do think he isn't playing as bad as many make it out to be. 

You are right though, he is supposed to be one of the top-3 players on this team.  I said coming into the tourney that is our #1 guy, and he is not playing at all close to the level he should be.

I don't think anyone here are making excuses or covering for him, but merely suggesting possible reasons why his play has slipped.  These aren't excuses for his play.  Despite playing a slightly different position than what he is natural too and missing the target forward he is used to having, one of your top-3 players should still overcome that and flourish in these moments instead of making some silly mistakes he is making.

Well, when I read he is out of position, he is having to run a lot, the heat, etc.  That sounds like excuses to me.  My two cents.  Hopefully he comes around Tuesday, we need him too badly.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1048 on: June 27, 2014, 02:52:18 PM »

No one is arguing that Bradley has been poorer than expected. No one is arguing that we need him to play better.

I think the difference is that some of us want to try to understand the full situation and reasons.

ttheisen

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #1049 on: June 27, 2014, 03:34:49 PM »
Soccer fans do need to be inclusive though...this whole "you don't understand, get out of my club" mentality has to end if the sport is going to continue to grow.

True, but man did I get tired of explaining goal differential. 

feedback